closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which should I buy?

Which should I buy?

As those of you who read my ‘fantasy watch box’ thread will know, I have a list of watches I would like to buy.

In a bid to be realistic I’ve narrowed my next purchase down to one of three, and I’d be interested in knowing your collective thoughts about which one I should be saving up for first…

The contenders are as follows:

1. Panerai Luminor Base 00114 (white dial) on leather

2. Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph (orange bezel) on bracelet

3. Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Tribute to Felix Baumgartner on rubber

As you can see these are all quite different and would be filling different slots in my watch box – the PAM would replace my Steinhart Marine Chronometer II, the Omega would replace my orange dialled Orient Mako XL, and the Zenith would be a straight addition to the collection.

I’m very clear that all these three are future purchases I’d like to make. All three would probably cost me not dissimilar amounts of money, and in the foreseeable future I’ll only be able to raise the funds to buy one.

So if these three were your choices, which would you buy first, and why?

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 6th March 2016 at 21:05.

Master
    The Zenith, as you're adding to the collection, the other two later on as replacements for watches you already have.

The po for me,you can't go wrong with one of them,you'll definitely know you've got it on ,a true beast

Master
    I'd go with Panerai.
    I had the PO Chrono in titanium and it felt too top heavy and I just couldn't get a perfect fit with the bracelet.
    I like the Zenith but the overlapping sub dials are dealbreaker for me.

Master
    Tough decision. It'd be the Panerai or PO for me. Probably whichever I came across first when in position to buy would be the one I'd get.

Zenith would be my choice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Zenith would be my choice.
    Likewise, despite being too big. I think Panerais are better with dark dials and lumed numbers, and the PO is "comedy" sized.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Depends if you are looking for a chronograph first? For me it would be a tough choice between the Pam or the zenith. I'd probably go for the zenith first. Classic beautiful chronograph with in-house movement. Can't go wrong. Nice decisions to have to make though. Go try them all on.

The Zenith is a famous chrono. The PO is chrono-diver.... I think the Panerai only gets bought if you feel the absolute *need* to own a Panerai. On paper its not competing with the other two. So *I* would say - forget the Panerai. If you violently disagree with that, then that tells you something.

Of the Zenith vs the Omega, to me it feels like prettiness vs versatility. I vote pretty every time. Again, if you disagree, then you're disagreeing....

Craftsman
    The Zenith for me.
    Second would be a PO
    and third Panerai

Journeyman
    Would have to be the Zenith for me too. But not on the rubber. I'm not loving that particular Panerai, and the PO is better without the chronograph.

In this order,
    1. The Zenith.
    2. The Omega
    3. The Pam.

Zenith
    They seem to really sparkle in AD windows
    It's a great looking watch and one that can look dressy if needed

That Zenith just jumps out at me, it's the one I would go for

Journeyman
    The Pan has lovely clean lines but the Zenith has long been a favourite of mine.

My choice would be the Zenith.

Master
    Tough choice for first position but I'd give it the PO by a whisker. That Panerai would for me not finish the race.

Master
    Zenith.
    I cannot get on with PAM's (had two, sold two).
    The Omega was too chunky when I tried one on and the orange is not that versatile.
    So that leaves the Zenith, which looks quite good actually. They are starting to grow on me.

The Zenith
    I'm not a fan of the orange bezel PO's and although I like Panerai's, that particular dial doesn't do anything for me. They both say 'there was a better choice'

Interesting input so far with an overwhelming leaning towards the Zenith.

With regards to the PO, I don't regard the size as an issue since all my watches are between 43mm and 46mm in diameter, also I specifically want it in orange as I like to have one orange watch and I'd be getting rid of my existing one if I was to buy the Omega. So I wouldn't be worried about the orange bezel being limiting. Oh, and I really like chronos...

I rather thought I'd get some negative feedback on the Panerai, as I gather lots of people don't like them with white dials. The thing is again that it would be intended to replace a watch in my collection with a white dial - also I really don't need another black dialled watch!

I'm very taken by the Zenith, although I have to admit that I've never tried one on...

Keep the feedback coming!

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Zenith +1

Craftsman
    Zenith for me. I adore my rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I adore my rainbow
    You have your personal rainbow? Wow.😄

Is the Zenith the Striking 10th version or a regular 36,000vph model? I've had a Striking 10th Stratos and it was an absolutely fantastic watch, just too big for me so off it went.

Also had the PO and even in Ti, it was, again, too big for me. But brilliant all the same.

I've had a few PAMs, that white dial might be my least favourite of them all. Just doesn't work for me, but you obviously like it!

So for me

Zenith
    Omega
    PAM

Master
    I wouldn't ever buy the Panerai, the Planet Ocean is a bit "vanilla" nowadays - so it would be the Zenith for me. You can get by using your Mako for a while till you save up for the next purchase whilst admiring that lovely Zenith on your wrist

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You have your personal rainbow? Wow.😄
    Beats my own private depression 😀

Master
    Out of those 3 I'd say Zenith first, then the PO and finally the PAM.

Craftsman
    Have you tried the watches on?

Simon,
    They are all good, I would buck the trend and go with Po Chrono.
    If it was a non-Stratos Zenith, would have chosen it.Stratos are nice but not as nice.
    Jomashop has one on winter sale at 45% off that I am eyeing.

At the end of the day, it goes without saying it is your decision. They are all quality watches and buy one that appeals the most to you. I am open to asking for advice here as there are a lot of knowledgeable folks. But, my tastes don't confirm to the forum members and having their approval is not a consideration in making a choice. It is still nice to meet their approval though AFTER I have bought the watch.

Some comments and answers on more recent posts... As far as I know the Striking 10th version of the Baumgartner Tribute is no longer available new, and ideally I'd like to buy new if I decide to go for the Zenith. If I could find a really good pre-owned version of the Striking 10th then I'd be tempted as its a very cool complication - there was what looked like a Striking 10th version for sale recently on SC in very good condition, but I'm nowhere near ready to buy financially... I've tried on the PO on bracelet a number of times and really like it. I've tried on PAMs as well and own several 44mm homages. Still want to try on the Stratos but not sure which ADs in London would stock it. RAJEN, I agree that this will be my decision and I may end up apparently ignoring much of the advice I get! For example I really like white dial Panerais, but recognise that's a minority view! I also suspect that it might somewhat depress 2nd hand values, so if I went for the PAM first I'd definitely want to go pre-owned. Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 7th March 2016 at 12:01.

If it wasn't the Striking 10th version, I'd skip it - it's just an EP in a very oversized case otherwise. Beautifully made, but very large indeed for the movement.

And I'd still plump for the Ti version of the PO, but then you don't get your orange highlights... You do get blue instead though :)

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If it wasn't the Striking 10th version, I'd skip it - it's just an EP in a very oversized case otherwise. Beautifully made, but very large indeed for the movement. And I'd still plump for the Ti version of the PO, but then you don't get your orange highlights... You do get blue instead though :)
    Point taken about the Zenith, Lewis.

I have a big thing about colours, so I ideally want to have dial or bezel colours in my collection covering black, blue, white, grey, brown, silver, yellow and orange...

I currently have all those covered apart from silver, so I wouldn't want a blue PO because it's one of the few good options for orange in my opinion. My need for blue is taken care of with my Navitimer World.

Simon

Craftsman
    This would be my choice, though a bit pricey even with the current discount.
    Striking 10th, non-Stratos but with the same dial and subdial colours. The bezel on the Stratos ruins it for me personally.

http://www.xupes.com/Watches/Product...05269C496.html

Master

Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Tribute to Felix Baumgartner

That's a heck of a long name for a watch!

Of the 3, only the Zenith really appeals to me, so it gets vote.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's a heck of a long name for a watch!
    I know, it's mad isn't it!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    This would be my choice, though a bit pricey even with the current discount. Striking 10th, non-Stratos but with the same dial and subdial colours. The bezel on the Stratos ruins it for me personally. http://www.xupes.com/Watches/Product...05269C496.html
    Too small for me, mate...

Simon

None of the three shown - all of those brands do better watches.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    None of the three shown - all of those brands do better watches.
    ... which for various reasons I don't want...!

My question was which you would choose if they were your options...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    ... which for various reasons I don't want...!

My question was which you would choose if they were your options...

Simon
    Yes I understood the question but my answer would still be the same - none of the above as they are all flawed watches (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    In this order,
    1. The Zenith.
    2. The Omega
    3. The Pam.
    Agreed.

Which should I buy?

I would get the Zenith. The PO is a beast of a watch and too thick for my liking. I'm not really into Panerai but I think dark dials suit that style of watch a lot better.
    Last edited by mark.wilo13; 7th March 2016 at 14:13.

Master
    In this order,
    1. The Zenith.
    2. The Pam.

Not feeling the love for the PO at all I'm afraid. Though again I think that there are better options in the catalogs but your money / your choice.