closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another inane thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I once got lost up Rose Hill-East.
    Double-barrelled surname, eh. Was she posh?

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Photos of Mrs freshly-pressed requested.
    Steady now. I've smoothly moved to Meteor(s), saucisson and steak tartare, yumm. (common summer!)

Master
    Why do small people think that mess hall is a instruction rather than a destination?

My Council have continued with refuse collection over Easter, so mine will still be collected tomorrow as usual. With the clocks going forward I get to put them out later too.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 29th March 2016 at 08:33.

Black bin collected this morning (Usual day is a Monday).

I was rather annoyed though as they left the bin right in the middle of my driveway, it meant having to stop and leave my car in order to move said bin and continue on my way.
    Not the first time this has happened i might add.

I just noticed a food waste bin outside the hospital side entrance, and it had a number 37 sticker on top. I think the person from number 37 takes their rubbish to work with them. They may even be a doctor.

I just noticed a food waste bin outside the hospital side entrance, and it had a number 37 sticker on top. I think the person from number 37 takes their rubbish to work with them. They may even be a doctor.
    Imagine if a refuse collector took their rubbish to work with them. I dread to think what the union would say.

They might even send him to Coventry.

Or Matlock, which isn't as far as Coventry. From here, that is. Don't know the relative disctances from where you are.
    Last edited by grey; 29th March 2016 at 11:18. Reason: fear of being called a townist.

I once asked my postman if he ever leaves himself a 'while you were out' card if nobody is home, but he said he just puts the item(s) back in his van.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 29th March 2016 at 11:50. Reason: For clarity

I once asked my postman if he ever leaves himself a 'while you were out' card if nobody is home, but he said he just puts it back in his van.
    Why does he even bother taking the card out of the van?

^I think he meant the parcel

Master
    When we moved to this house last August the next door house was up for sale and vacant. They had a massive multi-occupancy bin compared to our small standard bin. I also bought bin numbers and being nice I bought some for the next door house too

^I think he meant the parcel

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    When we moved to this house last August the next door house was up for sale and vacant. They had a massive multi-occupancy bin compared to our small standard bin. I also bought bin numbers and being nice I bought some for the next door house too
    Would your wife's sister fit in next door's bin?
    Last edited by grey; 29th March 2016 at 18:25. Reason: Typo

​I hope you mean MIL.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    ​I hope you mean MIL.
    Do you mean me, squire? If so I would refer m'learned friend to Moan & Rant post #15979.

Do you mean me, squire? If so I would refer m'learned friend to Moan & Rant post #15979.
    School boy error old bean, I didn't pick up on that post until now

Off to Sainsbury's this morning and I won't be making the same mistake as last week, when I forgot to take my own bag (despite having several available).

I'm trying to work out whether it'll be OK to lock the bike up outside the Blind Museum; it should be safe, shouldn't it. They're only open on Wednesdays.

I bought some socks yesterday, I'm a size 9 and the socks were sold as fitting size 6-8 or 9-11. I've had previous sock purchasing experiences whereby the larger size turned out to be too large though, seeing as I hadn't used this particular retail establishment before for any kind of footwear requirements, I took the retailers word that they'd suit my needs. Low and behold, when I tried a pair this morning, they were absolutely fine and dandy. I shall spend the rest of the day with a sense of relief with a weight off my shoulders.

Despite being a size 8 foot I always go for the 9-11 for woollen socks, as they shrink soon enough. I've been buying exactly the same socks since 1988 (M&S, lambswool-rich, black, normal length)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm trying to work out whether it'll be OK to lock the bike up outside the Blind Museum; it should be safe, shouldn't it. They're only open on Wednesdays.
    My advice is, yes do lock your bike. Because, let me guess, you're there in an official capacity, to tell them the funding will cease and the museum will have to close?

When you tell them that there isn't enough interest to sustain a museum devoted to curtains, even for one day a week, the staff are likely to want to kill the messenger, as it were, and your bicycle could be both a focus for their revenge, but also possibly your only means of escape.

Oh bugger, there's a conundrum. Lock the bike to keep it safe from rioters, or leave it unlocked to speed your escape?
    Last edited by grey; 30th March 2016 at 11:45.

My advice is, yes do lock your bike. Because, let me guess, you're there in an official capacity, to tell them the funding will cease and the museum will have to close?

When you tell them that there isn't enough interest to sustain a museum devoted to curtains, even for one day a week, the staff are likely to want to kill the messenger, as it were, and your bicycle could be both a focus for their revenge, but also possibly your only means of escape.

Oh bugger, there's a conundrum. Lock the bike to keep it safe from rioters, or leave it unlocked to speed your escape?
    Take an associate (also with bike) to hold yours whilst you hand over the bad news and then you can make a rapid getwaway. Failing that, remove the warning tags re. the dangers of cords on blinds and with any luck they'll entangle themselves whilst in pursuit giving you enough time to unlock your bike.

Popping some white tshirts in the colours wash because nihilism

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzer View Post
    Take an associate (also with bike) to hold yours whilst you hand over the bad news and then you can make a rapid getwaway. Failing that, remove the warning tags re. the dangers of cords on blinds and with any luck they'll entangle themselves whilst in pursuit giving you enough time to unlock your bike.
    Tricky one there, Fitz. Your plan might look good in an adventure annual, but may have real-world pitfalls.

Just say C-B hasn't got an the equivalent of an 007 licence that enables him to put life and limb in jeopardy by label removal, or indeed actually has a duty of care to inform on associated curtain risks.

And just say I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick and some of the staff selling pelmets and swags there are indeed visually impaired, eh? See where I'm going?

C-B (I doubt that's his real name) could be put on a right fizzer when he pedals back into the Cicus or Che!tenham or wherever his controllers work, and be missing from the forum for a while.

Well, thanks for the gestures of support, chaps, and I'm pleased to report that I'm back and in one piece. After completing a full risk assessment and cost benefit analysis (HMG isn't made of money, after all) I decided that velocular transport wouldn't cut it. I went by the 186 bus; I had considered taking the 101 to the Botanical Gardens and then change on to the X83 but I'm sure you understand the potential pitfalls.

In any case the trip was worth it and I was almost brought to tears at one point. Gentlemen, I give you the blinds in the Blind Museum.

It's been emotional.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 16th January 2020 at 18:57.

I have vertical blinds in my office.
    One of the plastic clips at the top is broken so unfortunately there is a rather large gap which, when sunny, lets through a raging beam of light.

My cat is blind in one eye.

The dog we had when I was a child (wire-haired fox terrier) wasn't called Colin but only had one eye which led to her having a bit of a snappy disposition

There's an Elvis Presley song about a one eyed cat.

Well it isn't actually about the cat, but what a coincidence?

Tricky one there, Fitz. Your plan might look good in an adventure annual, but may have real-world pitfalls.

Just say C-B hasn't got an the equivalent of an 007 licence that enables him to put life and limb in jeopardy by label removal, or indeed actually has a duty of care to inform on associated curtain risks.

And just say I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick and some of the staff selling pelmets and swags there are indeed visually impaired, eh? See where I'm going?

C-B (I doubt that's his real name) could be put on a right fizzer when he pedals back into the Cicus or Che!tenham or wherever his controllers work, and be missing from the forum for a while.
    This is the problem with the Health and Safety obsessed, compensation culture, 'nanny' state; they knew the risks when they chose their careers, if they aren't ready for the rough and tumble of life in the world of historical preservation of window coverings then they should jolly well quit and join something less dangerous like the SAS

This is the problem with the Health and Safety obsessed, compensation culture, 'nanny' state; they knew the risks when they chose their careers, if they aren't ready for the rough and tumble of life in the world of historical preservation of window coverings then they should jolly well quit and join something less dangerous like the SAS
    Couldn't agree more. But at least we got our man home safely, In from the Cold.

Let's ask Q about some mods for his bike, like a chain guard.

I've just been for a 4 mile walk. A man with a Chiwawa said 'Hi!' a lady without one said 'Good Morning' and several other people said nothing.

In my little country we dont say "Good morning" but "Moien". Actually, "Moien" is used no matter what time of the day, even if it literally translated means "Morning". Since the population of my little country actually consists of almost 50% foreigners, there are less and less people saying "Moien"; if anything at all they say "Bonjour".

The dog we had when I was a child (wire-haired fox terrier) wasn't called Colin but only had one eye which led to her having a bit of a snappy disposition
    We had a one-eyed dog. he was called Benji.

Couldn't agree more. But at least we got our man home safely, In from the Cold.

Let's ask Q about some mods for his bike, like a chain guard.
    You haven't read what I wrote, have you? This isn't the series finale of the Night Manager with their huge budgets and fortified bedsits in Mallorca - I took the 186 bus. It was on time.

I'm having a Nussecke and a beetroot tea.

I am allergic to nuts and am having a coffee.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

We had a one-eyed dog. he was called Benji.

You haven't read what I wrote, have you? This isn't the series finale of the Night Manager with their huge budgets and fortified bedsits in Mallorca - I took the 186 bus. It was on time.

I'm having a Nussecke and a beetroot tea.
    Au contraire my dear chap, I read an executive summary, but if you will insist on writing in lemon juice and expecting Fitz and me to warm the paper over a gas ring, let me tell you, it simply doesn't work.

The reasons for suggesting mods for your bike are as follows:
    1. No doubt you will try to claim for your bus fare on expenses?
    2. Travelling by bus leaves you vulnerable to blackmail - see post #495 on this thread ('taking the bus to Penge').
    3. Because of an incident I alluded to in the last paragraph of post #14 of my thread ' Inane story about England v Turkey football match' in G&D, I too was obliged to travel by bicycle during my military service, often wearing the Black Watch kilt involved. After a number of awkward incidents including one involving two elderly ladies on a pedestrian crossing (one had a stroke, fortunately the other one couldn't reach) I was issued with a skirt protector, which in those days was a diamond shape plastic sheet which fitted over the rear mudguard and clipped to the seat stays. Back then the only type available was decorated with a choice of poodles and dachshunds or parasols & balloons and I opted for the former, though this did not protect me from cries of 'nice knees Jock' and 'is anything worn under there?' It is thus with respect for your dignity during ops that I suggested a modern chain guard be fitted to you bike.

You will be interested to hear that for my lunch I had a Lockwood's frozen 'Easy Peasy' pork pie and mushy peas (' just 6 minutes in the microwave').

Yours
    'G'
    p.s.Your needling comments regarding the 'series finale' did not go unnoticed.
    Last edited by grey; 31st March 2016 at 19:28.

Well indeed, being equipped as I am solely with an induction hob I have to induce the cat, Ambrose by name, to breathe heavily upon secret writings in an effort to induce them to give up their meaning and they never do!

I have to say that I am becoming slightly suspicious of C-B's story as the 186 goes from Harrow to Brent Cross according to my Baedeker and I'm not aware of a blind museum anywhere along that route! He may, of course, be referring to the 186 in Berlin but then that's his funeral

PS. I had chicken soup with pearl barley for lunch but missed my afternoon cuppa as was involved in a pointless transatlantic call and now can't be bothered!
    Last edited by Fitzer; 31st March 2016 at 16:27.

India have scored 192 runs - if the West Indies score 193 (or more) they will win..........

I'm not aware of a blind museum anywhere along that route!
    Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there!

The tire pressure warning light came on in my Honda at lunch time. I will stop at the garage on the way home from work to replenish the lost air.

While I am allergic to nuts, I would like to stress that I can eat almonds (just in case someone wants to invite me for piece of cake).

I've never ridden a camel, but I did once own a Raleigh Mayflower.

I've never ridden a camel, but I did once own a Raleigh Mayflower.
    Did it have a chainguard?

It is thus with respect for your dignity during ops that I suggested a modern chain guard be fitted to your bike.
    I'm afraid that in the days of Gideon "Austerity" Osborne this is not going to happen. You'll be suggesting Sturmey Archer next.

You rarely see a Sturmey Archer these days.

I'm afraid that in the days of Gideon "Austerity" Osborne this is not going to happen. You'll be suggesting Sturmey Archer next.
    Never! Multiple gears and dynamos (dynohubs) are for pansies.

I'm fancying another glass of bubbly with my morning paper.

Never! Multiple gears and dynamos (dynohubs) are for pansies.
    Have just checked with Mrs. F. and she assures me that Viola tricolor var. hortensi would have no use for either gears or dynamos, perhaps you meant some type of cyclamen?

I've just been for a 4 mile walk. A man with a Chiwawa said 'Hi!' a lady without one said 'Good Morning' and several other people said nothing.
    Nobody greeted me today. Perhaps it's because I didn't walk far enough.

Have just checked with Mrs. F. and she assures me that Viola tricolor var. hortensi would have no use for either gears or dynamos, perhaps you meant some type of cyclamen?
    Cyclamen Julius Clarius Merkxus?

Went shopping but will have to go again as I forgot a couple of things. Despite having a list.

Suspect the list engendered complacency.

I've been looking for something exciting in my life for a long time now, and think I may have found just what I need in The Australian Sex Party.

I simply cannot wait for my vacation to arrive now.