closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New watch up to around £1000, any recommendations please?

Journeyman

New watch up to around £1000, any recommendations please?

Hello, first post, lurked on and off for a while but thought I'd best register to get some advice as I'm in the market for a new watch. :)

So, I'm looking for a new watch and I'm after some recommendations if possible please. I'm off this weekend so I'm going to try and have a look around some jewellers, specifically to see the Oris Williams that originally caught my eye but see if there's anything nice too - http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...155-rs-or-1134

I'm looking for the following :-

Up to £1000, and hopefully something that will keep a good chunk of it's value over time
    At least 42mm but not huge
    Preferably automatic now that I've looked into it
    Not too fussy, I like the relative simplicity of the Oris

Cheers.

PS, my current watch collection is a little sparse as I'm quite fussy, so I've got a G-Shock that I wear almost all for convenience the time as it's solar powered and radio controlled, a Citizen chronograph and a 20yr old Seiko 5, just feel the need to treat myself to something a little nicer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broona View Post
    Up to £1000, and hopefully something that will keep a good chunk of it's value over time
    I don't think there's much at £1000 new that you can guarantee will do this. If you buy second hand then it's different: You should be able to buy so as to hold value that way.

If you like the Oris then that sounds good but you might get a better price for it from other ADs or from grey dealers.

Personally I rather like this for just under £1K from our host, but it's a very different thing to the Oris (and is manual wind):
    Last edited by markrlondon; 12th March 2016 at 11:24.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I don't think there's much at £1000 new that you can guarantee will do this. If you buy second hand then it's different: You should be able to buy so as to hold valuer that way.

If you like the Oris then that sounds good but you might get a better price for it from other ADs or from grey dealers.

Personally I rather like this for just under £1K from our host, but it's a very different thing to the Oris (and is manual wind):
    Thanks for the reply, keeping its value isn't critical, it would just be nice if it wasn't worth £50 in ten years time.

I'm not a fan of that watch I'm afraid, but I'll have a look through their online shop and see if anything else catches my eye.

Master
    It's a funny price-point, £1000. There isn't really much that's better than something for say £3-400, so I'd say either get an "Eddie", or buy a second hand Seamaster of some kind as they probably won't come down much more than their current prices. Great watches and some have faded bezels which really look great.

That particular Oris will be a hard sell if you flip, so perhaps 50% off an RW would be better? Jura are hosting a 50% sale on them currently, until Midnight on Sunday...

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...eekend-special

Master
    Something like this,a cracking watch great build quality and will retain most of it's value at this price.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...n-Rubber-strap

I'm not a fan of that watch I'm afraid, but I'll have a look through their online shop and see if anything else catches my eye.
    It's not quite "their" online shop. It's the storefront of the chap who owns and pays for this forum. Most of his watches have a lengthy gestation, with a lot of input from the membership here regarding design details. I'd do a fair bit of reading and looking before parting with your cash.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I suppose it really depends on whether you want it more a dressy watch or a throw anything at it sports style.
    For dress watches I'd say Longine must be in with a shout either a new model or a pre-loved Master collection. Very well made respectable watches.
    Sports models well like others have said a pre loved Seamaster. Personally for far less than a grand I bought a Certina DS First auto. Classic Sports watch with 200m WR and very solid with good Lume. The WIS would say go for a SINN (they can appear s little austere for some peoples taste)
    Of course vintage could provide you with a world of options and with in-house.
    Happy hunting! I wish I had a spare grand as well lol.

Master
    Just to add if you are worried about depreciation buy 2nd hand. All the 2nd hand watches I have are either still level on price and one has definitely increased.
    The Certina was bought full price on finance at £515. I expect to drop to a real price of around £250 but not bothered as will not sell it and the loss is low hundreds.

Master
    My current favourite £1000 watch

Longines Legend diver?

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/longines-heritage-legend-diver-watch-l3-674-4-50-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Nomos would be my suggestion tyoo (specifically the Club 701) but OP stipulated 'at least 42mm' so any Nomos model will be way too subtle for him.

Master
    I'd be looking to find a secondhand Seamaster Pro too, I think. Huge value at that price point.

Tag outlet shops

Worth s look and I'd echo second hand now every time

Omega pop up at £1000 - Alex has a beautiful tag for less than £1000 on sc

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    This

Master
    I'm not going to make any suggestions as to what to buy, but just a note to say that I personally couldn't live with a rubber strap on an everyday watch and with the unique Oris lug design you will be severely limited on the choice of alternatives.

£1000 is a difficult price point new as depreciation is going to be cruel. But secondhand will definitely turn up some bargains that will hold their value much better. But really buy what you like and not for residual value, I think all of us have bought watches that we truly love, but would take a huge hit to sell on.
    Good luck, it's fun hunting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Wearing this exact watch right now. It's fabulous and incredible value for the money. That said the residuals aren't amazing but unless you buy a rolex, patek or panerai, all way beyond this price point, the same residuals would apply on all new watches. Get The Nomos catalogue and have a swoon. Less is more and I find myself wearing the Ludwig a lot more than I expected.

I'll second the Nomos.
    I'd pick up a second-hand tangente for that price. But as someone already mentioned: not quite wide enough for your tastes.

I think i have said this before but i don't really see the depreciation being that much worse for a watch under £1000 if I'm honest

Say for example the legend diver i linked to earlier in the thread, you could wear that for two years and still achieve maybe £700 on SC which is pretty good

Say you bought a moonwatch or Submariner new, is it likely you will lose less than £300? Relative to £3/4000 depreciation of £300 is impressive but it is still £300

I have no idea if you will get your money back on a new Sub/Speedy by the way, from what I have seen on SC i doubt it but then who knows

If you are buying something to keep then depreciation is not a massive deal anyway, if you intend 'flipping' and collecting various watches then it comes at a cost like any other hobby

You could buy used and hopefully recoup your money but this is dependant on knowing your watches/the market and taking the risk that it may need a service under your ownership

The LLD is a lovely watch and fits your criteria well, i have tried one and photos don't really tell the whole story

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the replies, definitely some food for thought, some investigating to do and some questions to ask.

Unfortunately I can't access the classifieds on here so that's out, thanks for the links though.

I've been to have a look at some watches today, tried the Oris on and really liked it, also had a look at the Longines Legend Diver and it's too busy for me, minus all the minute line markings it would look better IMO. I also looked at some new Tags and Omegas and couldn't find one that I really liked the look of, so I'm sure the situation would be similar second hand.

That Nomos is beautiful though, could be very tempted by one of those, actually something I've looked into a little before after someone on AV Forums bought one.

The Damasko is really nice too, I'll look into those, thanks for the recommendation.

I've had a look at the RW sale and none of them catch my eye, had a look at some instore today and had exactly the same feeling, very nice but not my cup of tea.

I'll also look at Sinn and the Certina DS First auto is a very good shout, that looks gorgeous!

Strange question time, what's an Eddie???

Master
    Strange question time, what's an Eddie???
    Welcome to the forum. Eddie is the gentleman who owns this forum and the Timefactors company (see link above). Therefore buying an Eddie is buying a Timefactors watch, and you could do far far worse than to do so.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Eddie is the gentleman who owns this forum and the Timefactors company (see link above). Therefore buying an Eddie is buying a Timefactors watch, and you could do far far worse than to do so.
    Aah, many thanks, good to know.

Craftsman
    If you like the Nomos I wouldn't read too much into the size on paper as they wear HUGE. There's also a 38 mm Ludwig.

Id go Seamster Quartz or speedmaster reduced......

Grand Master
    If you hoping for it to retain a fair amount of the £1000 outlay then don't buy new.

Buy something for 1k that cost a fair bit over that....that's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    That was going to be my suggestion too, if you can find a no date second hand then even better.

Longines Legend Diver

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Here's a couple of photos of a LLD I once had (before it was stolen!!) <sniff>

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    If you like the Nomos I wouldn't read too much into the size on paper as they wear HUGE. There's also a 38 mm Ludwig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Id go Seamster Quartz or speedmaster reduced......
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    If you hoping for it to retain a fair amount of the £1000 outlay then don't buy new.

Buy something for 1k that cost a fair bit over that....that's what I'd do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    That was going to be my suggestion too, if you can find a no date second hand then even better.

I do like the Nomos but that's the price creeping up over my original £1k budget, I'm used to that as a cyclist and don't really want to introduce it to my watch buying yet...

Not a big fan of the Omega range, one or two I quite like but they're mostly £3k+!

I'm not too bothered about retaining value, it would be nice if it did, but I'd rather have something I really like on my wrist than something I quite like that won't lose any money.

I don't like the Longines I'm afraid, too much going on for me, shame as I'm sure it's a nice watch if you like the styling.

Craftsman
    I am a cyclist too. And if you think budget creep is bad on cycling products, it's nothing compare to budget creep on watches. I only came on here to try to find the equivalent of a Citizen royal Marines watch without the logo. Now a Blancpain fifty Fathoms blue seems good value 😀 I suggest logging off pronto

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I am a cyclist too. And if you think budget creep is bad on cycling products, it's nothing compare to budget creep on watches. I only came on here to try to find the equivalent of a Citizen royal Marines watch without the logo. Now a Blancpain fifty Fathoms blue seems good value  I suggest logging off pronto
    I just had to Google that, glad it's not my thing either, lol!

Think I'm just going to take my time and make sure I end up with exactly what I want, so for now I've got a bid in on a nice refurbished Seiko SKX007 on Ebay as a stopgap, that'll see me through long enough to decide.

At the minute, it's probably between the Nomos Ludwig or Ludwig 38mm, the Oris Williams and the Certina DS First, but I'm sure I'll find plenty more in the meantime...

Craftsman
    If you don't mind a 3 month wait, Stowa do some nice watches, with a first rate customer service:

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,landingpag...,,,start,,.htm

Journeyman
    What about a longines hydroconquest model? They are very nicely made. Personally I read "keeps its value" with a pinch of salt, dealers will always insult you with a low trade in or cash sale value and ramp it up when they sell it on so be careful listening to keeps its value advice. We all have different options mine is I dislike Tag but like longines or oris.

If I had £1,000 to spend I'd probably buy a Damasko. Or perhaps spend half of it and buy a diver from CWC, Seiko or Glycine.

What I should have done before I spend a load on a Speedmaster was buy and live with a couple of cheaper watches of different styles before I spent a larger amount.

For example buy and wear an inexpensive diver (Seiko, Orient, etc), an inexpensive chrono (probably would need to be quartz) and an inexpensive dress watch (Orient again probably) and see which style you like the most.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    If you don't mind a 3 month wait, Stowa do some nice watches, with a first rate customer service:

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,landingpag...,,,start,,.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by 329gav View Post
    What about a longines hydroconquest model? They are very nicely made. Personally I read "keeps its value" with a pinch of salt, dealers will always insult you with a low trade in or cash sale value and ramp it up when they sell it on so be careful listening to keeps its value advice. We all have different options mine is I dislike Tag but like longines or oris.
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    If I had £1,000 to spend I'd probably buy a Damasko. Or perhaps spend half of it and buy a diver from CWC, Seiko or Glycine.

What I should have done before I spend a load on a Speedmaster was buy and live with a couple of cheaper watches of different styles before I spent a larger amount.

For example buy and wear an inexpensive diver (Seiko, Orient, etc), an inexpensive chrono (probably would need to be quartz) and an inexpensive dress watch (Orient again probably) and see which style you like the most.
    Good shout with the Stowa, very similar to the Nomos but cheaper, I can live with that, lol, I'll look up some reviews of the Antea.

Now I do quite like the Longines Hydroconquest, much more pleasing to my eye than the Legend Diver, think I'll try and see one in the flesh.

The Damaskos are very nice too, I'm sure I could find one of those to suit. As I said before, I think I'm going to buy a Seiko SKX007 or possibly an Orient Mako (preferably the USA variant if I can find one) to see me through until I find a 'keeper'.

I've already got a Citizen Eco-Drive chrono that I wear for nights out rather than my beater G-Shock, so I'll have a look out for a reasonably priced dress watch to complement the diver and chrono, thanks for the suggestion.

New watch up to around £1000, any recommendations please?

It's a funny amount £1000. By most standards it's a lot of money for a watch, but most choices aren't very compelling. Bear in mind that £1800-2200 gets you into Breitling or Omega from Iconic watches, then you see the problem. I would always rather wait, and put the money towards something more compelling.

If you don't want to go to £2K, then I always felt that the Sinn 556i was just the right balance of sporty but versatile. As others have said, Nomos is horologically the most interesting, and I rate both the Club and Tangente.

My most worn at the moment is a Seiko SARB 065 Cocktail time, and that is a mere £330

David

Stowa is a good shout, here's my two.

41mm Marine Original -

40mm Flieger "no logo"

And Damasko.

40mm Damasko DA36 Black

42mm DC67si

Sinn's U1 (auto) or UX (quartz) would fit the bill if you're leaning towards steel divers, or how about Seiko's SBDX001?

42mm UX

42mm SBDX001

All of those pictured above I've bought within your budget, some of them *well* within, though they were all pre-owned.

Won't risk editing my post above, just realised I doubled up on the DA36!

Here's the DC67si

Consider used, the value is much better, especially around the price you're looking to spend.

These were both at or close to your budget.

You could probably find a Speedmaster for another £200 and a Reduced for under your maximum.

M

Journeyman
    Thanks again for the replies, out of all of those posted, I like the Sinn 556i best, the Damasko DA36 is also very nice, the Breitling is far too fussy with way too much going on for me, and if I'm honest I think I prefer the Seiko SKX007 to the SBDX001, sacrilege I'm sure!

I may stick to my original plan and buy a SKX007/Orient Mako for now, unfortunately they appear to have stopped making the 007 and continued to produce the 009, which is a shame as I don't like the red quarter on the 009, I'll have a look second hand or possibly just buy the Mako which is currently £83 delivered on creation, or try and find the USA which appears to be hard to come by at the minute.

I too have been looking for an SKX007, and was regretting not getting from creation while they had them.

I have just ordered from here, as they seem to have the 007, and are uk based

http://seiko-citizen-orient-direct.c...ver-automatic/

David

Curses, they don't have stock :(

benwoodroffe
    squale 1521 ?

The square looks very nice. I've not seen one in the flesh though.

New to the forum but i love the Flieger and the Dc36. I'll get some pics up of my Oris Chronoris and Oris Big Crown.

Phil

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    squale 1521 ?

Just browsing their website now, some nice looking watches on there.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Or is tt1 200m

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Longines admiral gmt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    squale 1521 ?
    Clicked on this thread to recommend that very watch. Mine arrived yesterday via Squale.de and I absolutely love it. More eye candy @

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/squale-5...-watch-review/

They're very popular and always on back-order, though.

Craftsman
    I would agree with the previous suggestion of a Sinn UX