closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tudor black bay bronze

It's going to look even better when the bronze darkens, stunner!

I have put a deposit on with a local AD already, just in case this ends up being a limited edition etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    How strong is bronze vs steel? But I must say I like this model a lot.
    Not very - hence mankinds emergence from the bronze age and into the iron age.

But aged bronze has a certain look to it that l think will really suit that watch.

I have this image in my mind of the rolex and Tudor factories, next to each other - the rolex workforce filing quietly into work and donning crisp white labcoats, then sitting at their workstations to make yet another conservative sports watch, glaring humourlessly as the Tudor workers pile into work in a conga line, grinning like maniacs at the prospect of their next colourful creation...

...meanwhile in "vault 39" a mixed group of sociopaths handpicked by rolex whoop insanely as they drink absinthe from pint pots and randomly glue gemstones and leopardskin to lumps of gold... ;)

Been looking at VDB and Schofield as bronze options but far too expensive. I need someone to trade me a PRS 30, that's more my limit. :)

That looks great. The matching of dial and accent colours really brings the vintage look.
    Good job methinks.

Craftsman
    Looks great.

Tudor are doing very well right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
    Hopefully what was meant was that the eta powered BB would be replaced by the in-house movement across the BB range.
    That does seem more likely, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Great to see the Marine Nationale stretchy elastic strap (potentially) getting a reissue; cheapest strap I own. Been looking for a few replacements for a while.
    Somehow I knew you would notice that, it was the first feature I clocked. I doubt this is proper parachute elastic, merely a different NATO weave, but well thought out detail nonetheless.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Somehow I knew you would notice that, it was the first feature I clocked. I doubt this is proper parachute elastic, merely a different NATO weave, but well thought out detail nonetheless.
    Dave
    You're almost certainly right.

I've just bought five.

M

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That does seem more likely, doesn't it.
    Definitely, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, they've done it with the Pelagos already.

I was taken with the BB red, really wanted the BB blue, lusted after and eventually got the BB heritage black.
    I'm not sure if it's petty jealousy on my part but Im really not sure about this bronze one.
    I'll definitely take a look in the flesh .

Journeyman
    looks good, another watch on the wish list !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well I think it's safe to say I'm going to be all over that. Stunner

First dibs ins when you flip it then please Ryan

Damn, beat me to it ;)

I like this one and the Black version best.
    It's just a matter of time...

It looks good but I cannot think what sort of outfit I'd wear it with.

Looks meh to me. I prefer bronze watches in a more robust or panerai style case.

Craftsman
    Cripes. That's just lovely. I love the ice cold blue one on the bracelet but the bronze on leather.... Yummy

missing a trick by not going with the mercedes hands but overall probably the most appealing modern Tudor outside of the blue titanium pelagos

It sure looks very good!!!

Master
    When I look at watches like these (don't ask me what that means) I always initially think - wow, looks great - and then I start to think if I had one, would I wear it and when would I wear it?

It then joins the category of a long list of watches that I like, would unquestionably own if money was no object, but given that it is, are destined to stay in the list of watches I like to look at but aren't going to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    When I look at watches like these (don't ask me what that means) I always initially think - wow, looks great - and then I start to think if I had one, would I wear it and when would I wear it?

It then joins the category of a long list of watches that I like, would unquestionably own if money was no object, but given that it is, are destined to stay in the list of watches I like to look at but aren't going to buy.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. A nice looking watch but I wouldn't personally buy it as I don't think it would get much wrist time.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post

Where?
    I could wear it anywhere.
    Can be sporty, dressy- whatever you want!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    I wish Tudor would stop making Black Bays, because I want them all! A nice twist on the design I think.
    +1, thought exactly the same when clicking on the thread!

Master
    So it's official now, 43mm and $3975.

Anyone know how that compares to RRP for the steel Black Bays (or what the £ price is likely to be)? I'm guessing it's about a 25% premium.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on when these might be available? Were the previous models available immediately after announcement, or is there a waiting period for them to come to market?

Master
    There's an all black model as well. Not a fan of either of these personally.

Craftsman
    Hodinkee article with the lowdown:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...cture-movement

I've owned a Tudor Black Bay with red bezel and found it to wear like a brick, especially with the flat sides and tall profile.

Enlarge the case, go for a gaudy bronze material, make a kitsch of the dial, hands and crown, results in a total loss of respect for Tudor as a brand on my part.

I actually can't believe they have made it bigger... It was a bulky as you could ever want before. The broze is going to look 'ohhh, very bold' on the wrist!

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    It's going to look even better when the bronze darkens, stunner!
    What makes you think the bronze will darken - I can only find it described as "aluminium bronze". If there is already a protective coating of aluminium oxide on the case, it's not going to go much further, is it?

I thought that was the whole point of aluminium bronzes. They are used in fillings, for example, and I don't recall seeing people with darker, or green teeth. See also coins.
    Last edited by Broussard; 16th March 2016 at 08:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    So it's official now, 43mm and $3975.

Anyone know how that compares to RRP for the steel Black Bays (or what the £ price is likely to be)? I'm guessing it's about a 25% premium.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on when these might be available? Were the previous models available immediately after announcement, or is there a waiting period for them to come to market?

I don't know what the GBP price will be, but I think the USD difference is $875 (based on steel Black Bay on strap with ETA movement at $3100)
    Of course, I don't know the UK price for the bronze or what will happen with prices if/when the steel version gets Tudor's own movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    What makes you think the bronze will darken - I can only find it described as "aluminium bronze". If there is already a protective coating of aluminium oxide on the case, it's not going to go much further, is it?

I thought that was the whole point of aluminium bronzes. They are used in fillings, for example, and I don't recall seeing people with darker, or green teeth. See also coins.

Aluminium Bronze will still darken, but not to the same extent and not as Brownish as the usual CuSn8 Bronze used in watches (Copper & Tin)

Why bother with a good movement if it's going to be in a crap watch? Seems like it's always amateur hour over at Tudor. :|

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Apart from the 36mm Black Bay that all seems pretty 'meh' or downright bad. I really don't like the new bracelet on the BlackBay, so I am very glad to have a BBB

Don't like any of the new ones but still like the Black Bay Red and the in house movement makes it even better. However will need to see in real life what they've done to the bracelet as I can't really tell if I like it from the pics. Looks like they are trying to make it look like the 20mm bracelet it should have always been.

Just a few observations in general.
    Why increase the size to make it Bronze? Seems silly to me (you're right Mike).
    How come the Black Bay Dark loses its fitted endlinks? Are they afraid their coating will disappear?
    Nice 36mm BB, but why make the fabric strap grey camo????
    The fluted bezel looks ugly, but they are to be commended for doing 41mm, 38mm and 34mm versions. The blue looks like a nice blue, shame the watch is so ugly. Datejust anyone?

Dave

I am absolutely loving the Black Bay Bronze. I was putting money aside for a Omega SM300 but I think I'll just wait for tithe BlackBay.

Fingers crossed they do actually use bronze and not brass so that down the line it will get patina like the PAM382 Submersible!!

Craftsman
    If only the 36mm Black bay had a diver's bezel on it (ie looked like the previous Black Bay but smaller)

I would have my Black Bay Blue for sale now to make room for one. I would say that it's at the limit of what I consider acceptable on my own wrists.

I can't make my mind up about these new Black Bays. Not a fan of the bronze and I've never liked PVD, but the new versions of the original trio... I like the new text on the dial, the COSC movement, the bracelet looks like it might be nicer, but why did they put the shield on it when it has the rose on the crown? That bugs me for some reason. Tudor really needs to make up their mind with the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Aluminium Bronze will still darken, but not to the same extent and not as Brownish as the usual CuSn8 Bronze used in watches (Copper & Tin)
    Exactly.

Using an aluminium bronze seems an odd choice, especially if you want to "guarantee the development of a subtle and unique patina." Perhaps "subtle" is the key word here.

Still no word on the exact nature of the new movement (or indeed old movement). Last year, a very eminent Rolex expert reported that the movement was assembled, but not entirely manufactured, in-house.

ETA: the expert has been offered a visit and can confirm it's all now in-house.
    Last edited by Broussard; 16th March 2016 at 13:15. Reason: More info

Master
    I like that a lot. I have had a hankering for a bronze watch for some time now and keep flirting with the idea of an Anonimo Polluce but this could be a rather pleasant alternative.

Oh my WORD how good does the Black Bay 36 look??? In house calibre too. I really didn't expect a sensible case size option so fair play Tudor! Any idea on pricing? It needs to be far enough away from a decent 36mm Explorer for me. Hope it's not too thick. Any idea of thickness?

I had a good look for the thickness of the BB36 but couldn't see anything. Tudor like a lot of companies don't seem to give that info as a matter of routine.

With only 15atm and an 2824.... but then it doesn't exactly look very thin....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Why bother with a good movement if it's going to be in a crap watch? Seems like it's always amateur hour over at Tudor. :|

Why are they crap?

I think that the new Tudor watches are great. What competition is so much better?

Journeyman

UK PRICE

Hi,

I'm now on local AD waiting list, expected mid-May. UK Price £2730.

Glenn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmiller View Post
    Hi,

I'm now on local AD waiting list, expected mid-May. UK Price £2730.

Glenn
    Glenn Miller?

Didn't expect to see you here!

That's the bronze version, is it? Or is that a steel COSC in house movement Black Bay?

Thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Why are they crap?

I think that the new Tudor watches are great. What competition is so much better?
    Because they look like something a micro-brand would produce. It's essentially an assembly of random parts and dumb trends (round indices with "snowflake" hands, bronze/PVD); they're severely lacking in design coherency. The unprofessional Arial lettering is particularly bush-league.

And then there's this mess:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Glenn Miller?

Didn't expect to see you here!

That's the bronze version, is it? Or is that a steel COSC in house movement Black Bay?

Thanks for clarifying
    I pop up in all sorts of places!

This is for the bronze alloy new Basel 2016 Black Bay Bronze - the new in house COSC movement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Because they look like something a micro-brand would produce. It's essentially an assembly of random parts and dumb trends (round indices with "snowflake" hands, bronze/PVD); they're severely lacking in design coherency. The unprofessional Arial lettering is particularly bush-league.

And then there's this mess:

I've got to agree with you that the one you picture there is pretty awful.

But it's that mix you mention that really attracts me - I think it's usually just right and I'm a long time Rolex fan who has pretty much switched recently because I like them so much!

It's all just a matter of taste. I agree that I'm not too keen on the bronze and PVD watches so far.

I'd rather shave my legs.