closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is your collection worth?

Master

How much is your collection worth?

Hi Guys

After browsing this forum for a few days and getting great help in my search to get on the watch ladder, I've decided I'll be sticking around to keep an eye on what you guys are treating yourselves on! I'll probably not post much as my watch knowledge is about as none existant as my watch collection. (one Hamilton coming right up)

When looking around, the major thought that's been in my head as been "HOW can you afford to get that too?"

I don't mean it to be a personal question or to cause offence. But I was wondering how long it's taken to amass such a collection, do you sell to buy a new one? What got you into such an expensive interest?

I'd be keen to learn your stories. The watches have such a rich history; maybe the owners do too?

I'll also take your dream watch reserved for that lottery win!

I doubt if many people are going to say "oh yes, I have £xxxxK of watches in my house" for obvious reasons!

What some seem to do is maintain a "watch fund" where they get to enjoy a number of watches they like the look of by buying, keeping them for a time and then selling them on to release capital to buy more.

Blog Entries
    That reminds me - my safe code needs changing this month. Thanks for the prompt.

Anyway I think I've reached a steady state - selling ones I own to buy others if necessary, though I may inject some cash in if there is a specific watch I'm after. Took a while to reach this position though.

M
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th March 2016 at 19:43.

Master
    Mine is worth more than i'd like :)

It is no different to anything though. People spend their money how they wish. Some people save their money for a Jaguar, other save it for a PP or such. Some people like to have a collection, others just a select few in rotation. There is no simple answer, the same as any collection or hobby, be it expensive watches, vintage cars, or beanie babies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That reminds me - my safe code needs changing this month. Thanks for the prompt.
    You need to let me know where you live first, please!

It was a stupid question I suppose! So I'll settle for "why watches" question. And also the dream, money no object watch, question!

Do you want the real figure or the one I tell the wife?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Ha ha! I'm pretty sure she does it to you with her shoes anyway

OP, will you be asking for our addresses as well?

Slightly more than the value of whatever my current car is

This is my own self imposed rule

Suits me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    OP, will you be asking for our addresses as well?
    That depends purely on the value of your collection..

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    how true is that !!
    its what a lot of us guys do, and not just with watches

More than it would have cost to buy the watch that I wanted when I first peered into the world of watches, looking for 1 (ONE) watch, but dismissed as far too expensive for me.

As it happens I don't really fancy that one so much these days, so its all good

Enough that the insurance company demanded I got a safe.

I wanted "a collection" for a good while, but I envisaged that would be 4 or 5 watches. Then I found this place and I was doomed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Enough that the insurance company demanded I got a safe.

I wanted "a collection" for a good while, but I envisaged that would be 4 or 5 watches. Then I found this place and I was doomed.
    This does not bode well for my kids savings... "Sorry son, I would've had enough for a deposit on a house... But just look at this beauty"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    This does not bode well for my kids savings... "Sorry son, I would've had enough for a deposit on a house... But just look at this beauty"
    Don't worry about this. After all, "you never actually own a Patek Philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation......."

Bear in mind these are collections that have taken years, maybe decades to amass. I've only been seriously appreciating watches for about 3 years and at one point, had 10. I'm now down to 2, and will be putting one up for sale once I'm back in Blighty...but then I should be taking delivery of 1 more once I'm back.

Oh, it is a disease.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    57-59K

mike

That depends purely on the value of your collection..
    That depends on the results of your CRB check.

By the way OP, care to tell me what dress size is your wife?

Impertinent, moi?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That depends on the results of your CRB check.
    DBS - do keep up

More than I would have imagined when I got in to this but less than many people lose in depreciation in 2 years on a new car.

A few bob!

Master
    There are several important life lessons that I learned when I was younger that have stood me in good stead ever since:

1. There's always a bigger fish
    2. Value is entirely relative

The total financial value of my collection (37 pieces) is somewhere between a high-performance German sports car and a small apartment. Sentimentally it's priceless. Several members on here own pieces that are covet-able but I'm no longer competitive about such things. I briefly owned a boat a few years ago; everyone else seemed to have a larger one. I recently bought an Italian sports car; everyone else seemed to have a better model. Enjoy your hobby and follow it where it takes you - be gracious and not envious and don't assume that anyone out there is earning a fortune. Some people really are eating cornflakes 3 times a day and chalking off the days until they can place the order on that new JLC/Rolex/PP/Vacheron.

SGR

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    DBS - do keep up
    Indeed. And I have an enhanced check!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    DBS - do keep up
    Clearly google isn't what it once was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    There are several important life lessons that I learned when I was younger that have stood me in good stead ever since:

The total financial value of my collection (37 pieces) is somewhere between a high-performance German sports car and a small apartment. Sentimentally it's priceless. Several members on here own pieces that are covet-able but I'm no longer competitive about such things. I briefly owned a boat a few years ago; everyone else seemed to have a larger one. I recently bought an Italian sports car; everyone else seemed to have a better model. Enjoy your hobby and follow it where it takes you - be gracious and not envious and don't assume that anyone out there is earning a fortune. Some people really are eating cornflakes 3 times a day and chalking off the days until they can place the order on that new JLC/Rolex/PP/Vacheron.

SGR
    Nicely put.

Guys, I regret asking such a tactless question to be honest! I think it's a bit like Stuart has answered for me, I just find myself asking how can you guys do it? I'm struggling to add £40 to get an entry level Hamilton and I'm seeing amazing pictures of utterly stunning watches.

Does anyone here work with watches or is it purely a passion born from elsewhere?

Indeed. And I have an enhanced check!
    You're still the new boy, ask us again in a year or so.

Less than I paid.

Master
    Nicely put.

Does anyone here work with watches or is it purely a passion born from elsewhere?
    Thank you.

If you are passionate about something you will invest in it. I think it's as simple as that.

SGR

Whats the saying?
    if you want to end up with a small fortune in watches, just start with a large fortune.....

Master
    Like anything else, there's definitely a degree of desensitisation after prolonged exposure. My first serious purchase after joining this forum was a £350 Fortis Cosmonaut (hello Cmdr Bond if you're still out there), which at the time seemed a lot to spend on a watch. I've since spent more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    57-59K

mike

Actual or insurance Mike? ;-)
    Last edited by gcleminson; 14th March 2016 at 21:55.

Master
    About 55x what I spent on my first decent watch about 16 years ago before I realised automatic watches were still being made.

This thread does raise the interesting question of how you 'value' a collection: is it what you actually paid; what it is insured for; what you would get back if you sold up; or some other measure.

Craftsman
    According to Watchfinder, 74.5p

Master
    I measure the value of my collection in dog years.
    How many years would I need stay in the doghouse if my wife found out how much money I've spent on watches?

And the answer is.
    I'd probably need to redirect my mail to the doghouse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post

Great post Sir and so true and kudos for learning that early on. I took a few years to catch up. :) For me anyway I get off on the genuine passion people can have for what they love and that really doesn't have to follow a price tag. I love reading of folks getting excited about their AP, or Seiko, or Rolex, or Casio, or [insert personal brand here]. We all have our own personal flavours of madness. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Is that all?

The thing is, buy sensibly and you can always convert back to cash without much of a loss or even a modest gain. I actually sold several watches late last year to go towards my Son's first flat.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The thing is, buy sensibly and you can always convert back to cash without much of a loss or even a modest gain. I actually sold several watches late last year to go towards my Son's first flat.
    See that's ironic Andy because based on my son's current behaviour I was going to sell him to fund my watch habit :-).
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    See that's ironic Andy because based on my son's current behaviour I was going to sell him to fund my watch habit :-).
    James
    When selling your children, you almost never manage to recoup your investment

More than a thousand Dollars, I kid you not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    This thread does raise the interesting question of how you 'value' a collection: is it what you actually paid; what it is insured for; what you would get back if you sold up; or some other measure.
    I know my collection is worth 40% of what I paid for it, that's for sure

Too much, yet at the same time not enough..........
    F.T.F.A.

I once estimated the value of my collection two ways: prices I might not unreasonably hope to get, and then with worst case scenario prices. One total was 50% bigger than the other.

Journeyman
    More than my wife thought but not as much as my gun collection.

As stated by others, it's really just a matter of priorities and preferences. I know some people who starve themselves for a couple months just to buy luxury items.

Craftsman
    My seiko is worth around £185 I reckon

Journeyman
    400 pounds... :(

Master
    Zero at the minute, I'm living it up watch free. Still bloody addicted to this site though :-(