closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much is your collection worth?

Bit like asking a ladieeee her age.....

Value eh? Well if you are loaded (fill in the blank) a few of PP's bought over the intranet or whatever chucked in the bedside drawer could result in a million pound stash. If you can calculate the years of study, miles of legwork, tortuous negotiation, missed opportunity's, unexpected finds etc..........

This is a hobby for most of us, starting with the small and over time, bringing us to where we are now, ie being able to sell to pay for the odd holiday or trade up to better things.

An interesting OP, that raises the question of what you think you'd actually get rather than what you 'think' its worth?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The thing is, buy sensibly and you can always convert back to cash without much of a loss or even a modest gain. I actually sold several watches late last year to go towards my Son's first flat.
    I agree with this. I worked out recently that if I wasn't in a rush I could (probably) sell my collection for almost exactly what it cost me, which is around 40% of the current insurance value.

3 months ago I sold a watch to a dealer and made a profit on it.

On the other hand, I lost money on every Seiko I ever bought and sold...

Simon

Master
    Total collection is worth about half of my net monthly salary. Which is incidentally about the same as our second (classic) car.

A fraction I dare not calculate:

(How much I could get if I sold all my watches)÷((how much I've spent on watches including straps postage servicing)-(how much I've received for watches I've sold))

Master
    I couldn't possibly tell anyone how much my collection is worth, as I have no intention on selling any of the pieces, I guess it's currently worth nothing

To answer your original question, I think there are a variety of methods and motivations. Some of the collections on here are owned by very wealthy folk who may or may not be enthusiasts (some see them as little more than status symbols) and the money invested in them is insignificant. Others are owned by people with more normal incomes who save for, and prioritise, their watch collection - often building them up over many years. There are people here with tens of thousands worth of watches who have crap cars and ordinary houses. I If you're sufficiently interested, you'll find a way, but there is a price to pay, and that's when you find out if you're sufficiently interested.

Definitely more than I thought it would be when I started buying watches. As someone else said your tolerances really does change. Now thinking of buying watches I wouldn't even consider financially two years ago.

However I would be more wary to add up what I spent on straps and bracelets than what I spent on my watches. Somehow that feels more frivolous.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Definitely more than I thought it would be when I started buying watches. As someone else said your tolerances really does change. Now thinking of buying watches I wouldn't even consider financially two years ago.

However I would be more wary to add up what I spent on straps and bracelets than what I spent on my watches. Somehow that feels more frivolous.
    At the end of 2015 I totted up what I had spent during the year buying watches, what I had received during the year selling, and what I had spent on straps, postage and servicing. The second figure just covered the third. Which tells me two things: straps and postage and servicing really add up, and that a one-in one-out policy hoovers up the spare cash just as effectively as wanton accumulation.

I know what I've spent, but I don't know what it's worth!

I suspect there are some wins and plenty of losses in there, but that's never been the point or I'd just have Rolexes!

M

Seems what OP really wants to know is, how'd you afford to spend lots of money on watches. Well, there are lots of answers: some people are just rich, some work hard, some inherit money, or watches, some people borrow, others finance, some go without other expensive things like cars and families, some people are poor as church mice who've just had an enormous tax bill, but save and save every penny until they can buy what they want. Also, lots of people collect watches that don't cost much, or buy a watch and keep it for a while, then sell it on and buy another with the money.

The point is there's lots of fun to be had in all the different price brackets, from £50 to £50,000.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    According to Watchfinder, 74.5p

Minus 30p for the refurbishment it don't need.

^^^ That last point is spot on, and something anyone yearning for the expensive stuff should take on board. I've had a number of £20,000+ watches and am wearing something today that cost £300 which is every bit as enjoyable to own and wear.

(That relates to Bitfields post)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I agree with this. I worked out recently that if I wasn't in a rush I could (probably) sell my collection for almost exactly what it cost me, which is around 40% of the current insurance value.

3 months ago I sold a watch to a dealer and made a profit on it.

On the other hand, I lost money on every Seiko I ever bought and sold...

Simon
    From someone that just got his first Seiko... That's not what I want to hear ;)

Enough so that if I were to buy them all today I wouldn't be able to afford it.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Probably getting on for six months take home salary, with the same again in various guitars and amps.

Gradually accumulated over 10 or 15 years - my salary has increased significantly in that period and my free time for hobbies / activities has decreased at a similar rate. Watches seem to be something I can enjoy without necessarily needing to invest time purely for their enjoyment - in a way that, say, golf and motorbikes aren't. i.e. I can now afford to buy and run almost any of the motorbikes I used to drool over 10 years ago, but riding them would take me away from my young family during their waking hours. Whereas I can select a different watch from the collection and fit a strap in seconds and enjoy it all day long - whilst at work or with my family.

I'm trying to stop just accumulating 'stuff' with any spare cash I have and instead I'm spending more on the sort of holidays / weekend breaks away with the children. Creating happy memories for me and my family seems a far more sensible use of funds than I'd ever have imagined 10 plus years ago.

Still buy watches and stuff mind - but just with a smaller proportion of the total disposable pot.

I do also like the fact that the watches and guitars provide a fairly liquid emergency fund. If the need arises I reckon I've got a good couple of years worth of essential (mortgage and utilities) funds that could be slowly released in dire straights.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reefer110 View Post
    I'd suggest you picked the wrong brand if you were hoping for an investment opportunity... :-))

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I'd suggest you picked the wrong brand if you were hoping for an investment opportunity... :-))

SGR
    They dont seem to be any worse then any other brands?

It's not worth enough. I must buy more!

Less than my motorbikes.

Master
    More than I ever expected to have spent when I bought my first 'decent' watch 20 plus years ago and still not enough to liquidate them all and buy what I currently dream to be my perfect watch outright.

I anticipate a lot more will be spent in the next 5 years to get where I think I want to be.

It's probably really worth 75% of whatever I think it's worth

Master
    Blog Entries

Smile My Marriage if she finds out............

Plan B :-)
    M

Don't panic too much. I had seven Seikos and decided to sell them all to fund my first Breitling. I probably got back 85% of what I paid for them, so hardly a 'money pit'...

Simon

About £2K

Depends what it is - I made £60 on the last quartz Seiko I sold

Journeyman
    I'd say 500 gbp

More than my wife thinks, but unfortunately in reality less than I try to delude myself it's worth.