closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: fundraiser auction (now live on SC)

fundraiser auction (now live on SC)

EDIT: auction here

I've a watch that I never wear. It's a Seiko Sportsman from 1961. I bought it off eBay for next to nothing very early on in my watchyeducation.

The good things:
    * it's movement is not only in good condition but was serviced a couple of years ago by Christian Dannemann
    * the timekeeping is still under -10s/d iirc
    * the hands are just the most beautiful, scalloped dauphin hands.
    * new clean acrylic crystal

The bad things:
    * the case is only 33mm and a bit bashed too
    * the sunburst silver dial has a couple of chips. I'm convinced paint is crumbling away and will dirty things up if I wear it. Photographic evidence doesn't seem to support this fear, but but but.

Now, a Christian Dannemann service isn't cheap, so clearly I've already thrown far too much money at this. The dial needs *something* doing to it for me to be happy....but 33mm is just that tiny bit too small for me anyway. So this watch is just sitting there, annoying me, a beautiful flawed waste of money. If I were to try to sell it, I couldn't bring myself to ask for a sum to make it worth my while selling.

I had an idea: I will soon gain SC posting rights. To celebrate, I could do a fundraiser auction for this Seiko. A serviced Seiko 66B movement must be useful to someone on the planet? Perhaps someone would like to practice their cosmetic surgery skills on that dial?

Is this a rubbish idea? Would it just be an embarrassment? I genuinely can't think straight when thinking about this watch.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 17th April 2016 at 17:01.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Start at £1, increments of £1, leave it up for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Start at £1, increments of £1, leave it up for a week?
    I was thinking start on a Sunday evening, and run to Friday noon.

Me covering the RMSD.

I've now got my posting rights on SC, so I'll be putting this up this Sunday evening. For a thread title I was thinking:

Fundraiser auction: 1961 Seiko 66A for fettling/modding/restoring

I'm going to be sorry to see those hands go.....

.....but I'll be glad to see some good come out of what has been a thorough fiasco of ownership
    Last edited by Der Amf; 16th April 2016 at 09:47.