....and a lot less hassle!

One of the more onerous tasks when repairing watches is the pressure testing element, I've been using a 6bar wet tester for my basic leak tests for some time - you know the machine, it's the one below. What it does it does well but it is a labour intensive time consuming process, especially when your doing watches day in and day out.

Simply preparing the wet tester, sometimes having to remove the watch strap if it's fitted, hanging the watch, sealing the pressure cylinder, pumping it up, waiting 15 minutes, releasing the pressure whilst taking pictures as proof, drying the watch afterwards then doing a condensation check takes a good 30 minutes of my time that can be better spent doing other tasks. This is without mentioning that I don't enjoy testing chronographs in a wet tester as the chances of failure are considerably higher than a basic wristwatch, and the last thing you want is the crystal blowing out once it's submerged! With this in mind I've been saving for some time to get my dream tester, a Greiner Poseidon LT-100 which is a dry tester, can test a vacuum of 0.7bar and a pressure of up to 10bar. The thought of just putting a watch in, pressing a button and walking away has been a dream of mine for ages. Well finally it's here, it was delivered today so this afternoon was spent commissioning the compressor, printer, tester and running the air lines.

This is what it looks like

And this is what powers it, a small Bambi compressor that is normally found in laboratories, dental surgeries and the like, in fact anywhere where dry, oil free air is required.

To work it you first open the chamber

Place the watch on the rest and lower the bridge

Close the chamber and choose which test you want to run, this submariner is having a 10bar waterproof test

And that's it, I can walk away and get on with other stuff now! The display shows whats happening as the tests are running, here the vacuum test is in operation

Once this is completed it moves on to the pressure test

Once this is done the machine vents and that's it, finished

The thermal printer prints out the results ready for inclusion with the receipt.

All that's left is to remove the watch ready for the next one. To say I'm pleased with it is an understatement, I've just gained back a few hours each week and that's worth every penny