closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart Watches will fail & now I know why

Smart Watches will fail & now I know why

After great anticipation, I finally got hold of a Tag Heuer Connected smart watch and I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it for a few weeks. I got some great comments and lots of interest almost daily, but guess what...

I started to miss wearing real my watches and in the last few days the Connected got no wrist time and was not missed at all.

To clarify, it was by far the best looking and performing smart watch I've tried (and I've tried most of them) but I have come to the realization that a smart watch can never replace my real watches. I really thought the Connected would be the one to convince me to reduce my real watches to special occasion only, but I found myself pining after my mechanical watches at work and at the weekends. As far as i'm concerned the smart watch experiment has failed.

Now, I still want the fitness extras and enjoy the phone notifications, so have purchased a Microsoft Smart Band 2 which I can wear along with my traditional watches and get best of both worlds.

Just thought I would share in case anyone is thinking of moving to the dark side :-)

I don't see them failing - they will gets cheaper and more powerful over time - you talk about replacing a watch but most young people (and a lot of older people) aren't interested in watches and if they are - they only buy cheap - the average price of a watch sold in the uk is about £100 (according to what I read in watch pro).

Now for many hardcore collectors I think you are right but we are already seeing dropping sales from the Swiss so I would think a lot of companies selling at the lower end (so not your omega or Rolex) will be impacted. I cannot find a link but someone posted an article where a journalist has talked to the Swiss and he got the impression they are sitting on a glut of watches which could be a problem in the next couple of years.

Craftsman
    Personally, they are not for me, but the part where you say you were missing your mechanical watches, to others this could just be the same as wearing one watch and missing another in your collection...

Some people will find a place for them in the collection.

The problem is that the primary reason for using a smart watch is for the notifications and fitness functionality. On that basis, I will always need to wear it because it's the device that funnels through notifications from my phone and tracks my fitness.

Therefore if I have a smart watch in my collection for this purpose, all other watches become unnecessarily and will never be worn

I would rather have a dedicated fitness 'band' which also provides notifications and still enjoy my real watches.

Master
    As a person in my 40th year and fairly but not massively tech savvy I really don't get smart watches. My phone vibrates in my pocket when I have any notifications and for fitness I ride my bike and have a set of scales. There is much debate about people being ever more 'wired in' and a new type of stress being created by it and to me a smart watch is pretty unsmart in terms of the behaviour and further addictions to 24 hour social media it fosters. Still, each to their own and I hope those that have them enjoy them and are able to unplug whenever they feel the need.

As you say they're not for you. You yearn for a mechanical. There's a whole generation who don't wear watches and have no interest in mechanical watches, it's this generation that the smart watch manufacturers are trying to capture. And I think they're doing ok.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    As a person in my 40th year and fairly but not massively tech savvy I really don't get smart watches. My phone vibrates in my pocket when I have any notifications and for fitness I ride my bike and have a set of scales. There is much debate about people being ever more 'wired in' and a new type of stress being created by it and to me a smart watch is pretty unsmart in terms of the behaviour and further addictions to 24 hour social media it fosters. Still, each to their own and I hope those that have them enjoy them and are able to unplug whenever they feel the need.
    So eloquenly put. I couldn't agree more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    I second to that...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    As you say they're not for you. You yearn for a mechanical. There's a whole generation who don't wear watches and have no interest in mechanical watches, it's this generation that the smart watch manufacturers are trying to capture. And I think they're doing ok.
    Yep.

The non-watch-wearers I know who bought Apple Watches love them, and couldn't be separated from them.

It's watch-wearers like us who have been underwhelmed.

I wouldn't bet against them.

The issue for me is that a "technology product" is by its nature heading for obsolescence as soon as it is bought. Even if the hardware is super-durable the operating system etc will be out of date in a few short years.

The wonderful thing about mechanical watches is that they remain serviceable for many decades. Possibly this will appeal to an ever-smaller number of enthusiasts but to be honest I won't lose sleep over that as the watches I now own and am likely to buy in the future will see out the rest of my life and more,- and that is all that interests me.

In the ubiquitous techy world of mobile phones, there are very few devices that are really high end (I can only think of Vertu, I guess there must be a few more)- it will be a tiny tiny proportion of the market. I wonder if more Swiss watch firms will follow Tag's lead and launch smart watches for the "watch freaks".

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The issue for me is that a "technology product" is by its nature heading for obsolescence as soon as it is bought. Even if the hardware is super-durable the operating system etc will be out of date in a few short years.

The wonderful thing about mechanical watches is that they remain serviceable for many decades. Possibly this will appeal to an ever-smaller number of enthusiasts but to be honest I won't lose sleep over that as the watches I now own and am likely to buy in the future will see out the rest of my life and more,- and that is all that interests me.

In the ubiquitous techy world of mobile phones, there are very few devices that are really high end (I can only think of Vertu, I guess there must be a few more)- it will be a tiny tiny proportion of the market. I wonder if more Swiss watch firms will follow Tag's lead and launch smart watches for the "watch freaks".

I agree but... most people don't care and once powerful smart-watches hit £50 or so (and this will happen over time) - who will care if they use it for a year and toss it?

Master
    If you think smart watches will fail, have a chat with Apple's much improved Siri, ask it a few questions, and then imagine that on your wrist, together with maps, video calls, and instant payment. Inevitably, before long they won't need a phone attached either. As jewellery, smart watches will have a hard time beating traditional watches, but in terms of functionality, they will soon make standard watches seem extremely basic.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 19th March 2016 at 21:12.

I will stick to my old fashioned watches.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 20:00.

Quote Originally Posted by jambobbyb View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, I don't think smart watches will fail, but I think they will continue to attract younger buyers. I'm 40 this year and I bought my first Rolex when I was in my 20s I bought it as a status symbol but we didn't have smart watches back then if they had been available I possibly would have bought one as I was interested in technology like most young people are and most smart watches are now modern status symbols. All the young guys in my office wear them. however my real interest in mechanical watches didn't bite until I was in my 30s all the younger guys at work love my Sub they are amazed it's nearly as old as them I think they will as they grow older develop the taste for mechanical watches and start searching out birth year subs etc etc...
    I'm 50 this year and can remember the excitement surrounding the early Quartz digital watches when they appeared on the market in the 1970s and quickly transitioned from "aspirational" to "affordable" to "cheap". Even then, "multifunction" watches were around that had calculators, multiple alarms, Etc as well as chrono functions. They were the forerunners of the smart watches I guess?

jambobbyb

Red face

Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:59.

These threads are always fun, not so long ago a quality mobile phone was small with a battery life of almost a week, then along came the iPhone and everything changed, watches have evolved and will continue to do so, these are exciting times.

I find the design of the things is so dull and lifeless. I'm not sure what the answer is but for me it's not trying to make it look like a mechanical watch or a phone (is it me that thinks the Apple watch looks like a miniature phone?).
    "A man of little significance"

I don't think they will fail per se. They will continue to evolve and attract youngsters and older people trying hard to be hip and cool. They will not replace mechanical watches amongst the watch afficianadoes.

I can see a smart watch replacing a cell phone so you have a smart watch and a larger size tablet and you are completely connected .
    I am seeing a lot of Apple watches since Christmas .
    I bought my wife an Apple Watch for Christmas and she took off her Datejust and has not put it back on.

I was just chatting with a friend who when I said I could possibly wear the watch in the future if smaller sizes came back in fashion suggested I chop in the 36 mm DJ with fluted white gold bezel and Roman numerals for a Globemaster - you know you're in trouble now DerAmf !

I'm really interested in the Microsoft Band 2, currently have a Fitbit which is great. Can you give a mini review of the Band if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I can see a smart watch replacing a cell phone so you have a smart watch and a larger size tablet and you are completely connected .
    I am seeing a lot of Apple watches since Christmas .
    I bought my wife an Apple Watch for Christmas and she took off her Datejust and has not put it back on.

I was just chatting with a friend who when I said I could possibly wear the watch in the future if smaller sizes came back in fashion suggested I chop in the 36 mm DJ with fluted white gold bezel and Roman numerals for a Globemaster - you know you're in trouble now DerAmf !
    Moi?

Whenever I see a woman with a smartwatch or whatever my instinctive thought is, oh she thinks she's fat.

I don't think they'll fail but I also think this whole 'wired to the world 24/7' vibe is very unhealthy. I will often turn my phone off in the evening and stick it in a drawer, because I'm at home and don't want to be connected to the world. I want my dinner, a chat with the family and maybe watch TV. I don't want to monitor my activity, my heart rate or check gibberish emails or Twitter. Yes, I am in my 40's and whilst no Luddite, I do like to be able to switch the world of technology off every now and again. Sometimes I like to switch the router off and pretend it's broken just to see my kids faces 😈

Some interesting comments. Perhaps saying they will fail was a bit premature as it is clear smart watches are gaining traction. According to my local AD, Tag cannot make enough of their Connected to keep up with demand! I thought the Tag Heuer Connected would satisfy my craving for a smart watch that didn't look like a toy and was made with more focus on the watch rather than the tech, but alas for me it has failed and therefore the concept has failed.

I am a watch lover and collector and I still wanted to love it as i've been fascinated by watches and gadgets since I was a kid. It was fun for a while, but the novelty wore off quickly and my mechanical watches will always have a place on my left wrist. What's on my right wrist is still up for debate.

I see a watch as a piece of jewelry, not as a disposable item whcih will become redundant in 3 or 5 years time...
    I also don't get the fitness watch/band trend: they tell me nothing of use (at least to me), and I'd much rather spend the money on a gym membership or a class.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ As above. Mechanical watches are jewellery. They are not good at their primary function which is to tell the time (and sometimes day, day, month etc) - as they drift from 'real-time' over days and months. They cost a small fortune to maintain over their lifetime. Eventually becoming prohibitively expensive to maintain.

Watches - do last a lot longer than the tech lifecycles where obselence is about 2years and reducing (need to keep those punters buying more and more expensive items. I mean FFS phones costing £600+ and contracts @ £40pm fantastic.)

Apart from people who frequent forums like this that have horological interests, they either wear no watch or a fairly in-expensive quartz.

So probably smart watches may cater for a (mass) market that isn't represented here.

Personally I wear a garmin connect band on my right wrist as it is linked directly to my health care provider with real time updates on 'steps' and heart-rate. I get bonus points for reaching 10000 steps daily and get freebies etc. I know that 'data' is a valuable commodity for businesses. This data must be a goldmine for the actuarial business! I know it's Orwellian but it's not compulsory - yet.

Then I choose the wear my man jewellery watch on my left wrist. I am under no illusions that my watch is necessary for my functioning. I've even started to look at my phone screen (or garmin which is time synched to my phone) for the time instead of my watch.

But my horological interest continues regardless.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th March 2016 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    I'm really interested in the Microsoft Band 2, currently have a Fitbit which is great. Can you give a mini review of the Band if possible?
    I bought largely based on this review which is both informative and impartial. 25% off at Amazon UK at the moment and their returns policy is solid if you have any problems

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...tness-trackers

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I have come to the realization that a smart watch can never replace my real watches.
    Smartwatches are not watches; it's a point that's often made in these pages, but I think you've illustrated it nicely. Smartwatches are, in fact, little wrist computers which do interesting things like fitness tracking and showing you text messages. As you point out, to get the benefit of a smartwatch you need to wear it all the time, which means if you're a watch enthusiast, you probably just don't have room on your wrist for a smartwatch.

Lots of people do, though, so I think smartwatches are doing just fine in the mass market; the Tag smartwatch, specifically, I don't see succeeding long term because only watch enthusiasts would pay so much over the odds for an ordinary smartwatch.

I liked the idea of the Breitling B55 - reversing the concept somewhat but it is massive and thick and the price is absolutely ridiculous

They won't fail, you're only looking at it through the the eyes of a wis.

There are thousands of people out there who don't wear watches but would wear a smart watch because it's modern tech.
    However I agree with you that after wearing one for a while you revert back to your old watches as my Apple Watch got little wrist time.
    The wife has a Rolex and Oris which both sit there all week whilst she wears her Fitbit, the Rolex and Oris come out at the weekend.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so lets assume that Smartwatches become the new phones and everyone basically has to convert to wearable tech.

IF that happens, is it acceptable to wear both, shifting the watch to the non dominant hand?

I keep almost buying one and I know it is what I would do if I did. The smartwatch would not be fulfilling the function of a watch, merely the functions of tech, so I wouldn't see a problem. right now, I suspect I may be judged on that, but what about the future? I think not...

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    IF that happens, is it acceptable to wear both, shifting the watch to the non dominant hand?
    Interesting question. I thought most people wear their watch on their non-dominant side, do you mean shifting the watch onto the dominant side so the dominant hand can operate the gadget?

Master
    I know watch collectors who wear 2 at a time, one on each wrist. Each to their own but even a smart watch wouldn't get me doing that. Famous last words maybe!

Don't think I would want to wear a watch and a smart watch and can't see it catching on...

I wear my watch on my dominant wrist and was wearing a Fitbit on my left.
    Just stopped cos Fitbit not staying charged long enough.

Had to do a photo shoot recently and the photographer told me to take one off as it looked odd

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I wear my watch on my dominant wrist and was wearing a Fitbit on my left.
    Just stopped cos Fitbit not staying charged long enough.

Had to do a photo shoot recently and the photographer told me to take one off as it looked odd
    Photo shoot for what if you don't mind me asking.......Are you Katie Price?

Craftsman
    I get rather confused by the sometimes dismissive attitude towards smartwatches. They may or may not be proper watches, they may or may not eventually replace the traditional timepiece as the most common type of wrist wear but they are definitely a growing market. At least for the moment. I don't think it matters if we as WIS 'get' them; we are generally not the market.

Everyone said that iPad was never going to work: it had been tried before and who needed something too big to carry around a pocket but far less powerful than a laptop? And yet, here we are. When/if someone makes a smartwatch that does the job properly, they will be ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Photo shoot for what if you don't mind me asking.......Are you Katie Price?
    This was a shoot for my own business this time-

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    I get rather confused by the sometimes dismissive attitude towards smartwatches. They may or may not be proper watches, they may or may not eventually replace the traditional timepiece as the most common type of wrist wear but they are definitely a growing market. At least for the moment. I don't think it matters if we as WIS 'get' them; we are generally not the market.

Everyone said that iPad was never going to work: it had been tried before and who needed something too big to carry around a pocket but far less powerful than a laptop? And yet, here we are. When/if someone makes a smartwatch that does the job properly, they will be ubiquitous.
    Right then, on that basis, I guess I should get ready to ditch my lovely platinum wedding ring for one of these

Is it time for Omega to reissue the 'Time Computer' yet?

I do hope so

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Don't think I would want to wear a watch and a smart watch and can't see it catching on...
    I do
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Perhaps a "watch" will really be a mechanical instrument that tells the time....as it has always been, and you can get pocket or wrist versions

Anything else is a "wrist computer" or "wearable computer" ...but I guess that does not sound so good to the marketing people

There has always been a market for wrist based multi function tools, its just now they pack a lot more electronic power

In another 5 years, we might be wearing multiple pieces of tech that talk to each other, its all possible, it just depends on what is marketable....

Master
    Back in the late 70s, electronic keyboards were the future. The guitar was passe,only for dinosaurs. Guitar synths too were the future. Then along came Eddie Van Halen and a whole new generation. Keyboards are still there but guitars and guitar players are still there too. Same with electronic drum kits - Simmons were the big players but now it's high end wooden shell drum kits with samples and triggers for different sounds. So it will be for smart watches. They'll exist, get smarter but people will still want a mechanical/auto/quartz watch. Have filofax gone out of business? Electronic diaries and palm pilots were that future but (so far) they're not

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Electronic diaries and palm pilots were that future but (so far) they're not
    That's a weird example - electronic diaries have overtaken paper diaries in orgs, it's just palm pilots were superseded with smartphones...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I know watch collectors who wear 2 at a time, one on each wrist. Each to their own but even a smart watch wouldn't get me doing that. Famous last words maybe!
    I once had a lady come into my office wearing two watches on her left wrist. A Cartier and an Omega IIRC.