closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nice finishing and my "other" watch collection (lots of photos)

Nice finishing and my "other" watch collection (lots of photos)

Many of us appreciate well-finished watches and as some of you may know, my collection has been focusing on different finishing techniques. However, it is often the case that many old finishing techniques are lost or are too expensive to do, so manufacturers simply stop using them. I take this opportunity to share with you some amateur photos of one of my pocket watches. Enjoy!

From the early 1940s I believe....

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

I enjoyed them very much. Thank you. Curiously my eldest has developed an interest in pocket watches at 30. I'll give him a year or too and he'll be a fully fledged watch nut.
    Gray

Craftsman
    Beautifully made.

This maybe a silly question, but surely the movement lubrication dries out pretty quickly with a non sealed case back?

Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Beautifully made.

This maybe a silly question, but surely the movement lubrication dries out pretty quickly with a non sealed case back?
    Think of it as 'grease' rather than oil - it doesn't really go anywhere as it's not a compound that evaporates in air.

Thanks for posting up. Those photos are great and show indeed the highest level of finishing. Good job

A lovely thing, that Patek. Any idea why it says Cie on the dial and Co on the movement? Does that date it to '82 / '83 (the date the company was renamed)?
    Last edited by Broussard; 19th March 2016 at 21:10. Reason: Corrected dates.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, no messing you around, I will give you a Fiver for the Patek on its own, or a Tenner for the lot.

A gorgeous Patek , the finishing on the movement is superb . Thank's for posting your excellent pictures .

fantastic to look at the photos.

Thanks for the comments and glad you guys enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    A lovely thing, that Patek. Any idea why it says Cie on the dial and Co on the movement? Does that date it to '82 / '83 (the date the company was renamed)?
    That is a good question. I have seen other Patek pocket watches around the same period (1940s) that have Cie on the dial and Co on the movement and case, perhaps it was a transition period? I know it is from the 1940s because there is an inscription on the dust cover dating it to 1945.

Master
    The quality is clear.. Nice pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    That is a good question. I have seen other Patek pocket watches around the same period (1940s) that have Cie on the dial and Co on the movement and case, perhaps it was a transition period? I know it is from the 1940s because there is an inscription on the dust cover dating it to 1945.
    I have no idea (but that would be a *very* long transition ;) ).

I know next to nothing apart from what I've learned from their museum in Geneva and a few books.

I don't even know when they started / stopped putting the Calatrava Cross on their movements...

I found a timeline of Patek's history and it's quite interesting. Perhaps the Cie and Co were in charge of different parts of the watch.

"1883 - 1885 The company is registered as the watch manufacture Patek, Philippe & Co., general partnership and continues to tour the world and win gold medals at various exhibits."

Full timeline in the link below.

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....of-its-history

Lovely pics!

Thanks for the pics - your thread title doesn't do them justice. Co. or Cie., it's nice to see the comma between Patek and Phillippe.

What is the one with Swansea on the dial? I assume that is part of the name of the jeweller?

Master
    Lovely pics. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    That PP is stunning, but I LOVE the hands on the Omega, the way the hole is off centre to create a floating crescent moon.

Master
    Stunning, that movement is an absolute work of art you could sit and watch that mesmerized what workmanship, I bet that's a keeper.
    The applied minute markers, are they silver? Thanks for posting, I can't believe the condition of the movement.

Lovely pocket watches.
    Thanks for showing them

Master
    Lovely pictures. And a lovely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thanks for the pics - your thread title doesn't do them justice. Co. or Cie., it's nice to see the comma between Patek and Phillippe.

What is the one with Swansea on the dial? I assume that is part of the name of the jeweller?
    I have no idea whether it is part of the jeweller's name or just stating the location, but here are 2 photos that show the nice dial and the beautiful movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    That PP is stunning, but I LOVE the hands on the Omega, the way the hole is off centre to create a floating crescent moon.
    Both the hands on the PP and Omega have off-centre holes actually, but it is more apparent on the Omega because the hands are flatter. I agree with it looking like crescent moons!

Master
    This is why I love watches and the movements and dials and cases and everything to do with Horology.

Thanks for the extra pics of the Swansea one. I think that is my favourite. Looks like Maggs is the maker rather than 'just' the jeweller. Might be some info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I have no idea whether it is part of the jeweller's name or just stating the location
    I wonder if it could be Frederick Maggs who was apparently a watchmaker active in Swansea around the end of the 19th Century/early 20th Century. Looks like he might have had some financial trouble around 1905. Would that fit with the dates of your watch?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../1068/data.pdf

He then might have emigrated to Canada around 1912 (scroll down about 4 posts on the link below).

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surname.../40.50/mb.ashx

PS I am absolutely not an expert so this may be wrong, but I did track down similar information about a travel clock of similar vintage. I hope it helps.

What a brilliant thread. Thanks very much.

Apprentice
    Stunning work!

wonderful pictures and a wonderful collection.