Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So about £5k then
    On chrono24 prices for 16613 start at £4k

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...=1&sortorder=1

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    On chrono24 prices for 16613 start at £4k

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...=1&sortorder=1
    Indeed, and from a dealer with warranty.

What was he offered?

Craftsman
    Does it make much difference that the £4k ones are in the US? Import duty and boring things like that could push the cost up to £5k

But £5k sounds too high to me - the cheapest in the Uk on chrono24 is £4600 for a 1998/99 with no papers. The cheapest one of a similar age is £5800 with no papers.

I just want to do right by the old man and not get stitched up in the process - but I also appreciate I wouldn't get him a dealers price - nor would I want the hassle of trying to for months.

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    Does it make much difference that the £4k ones are in the US? Import duty and boring things like that could push the cost up to £5k

But £5k sounds too high to me - the cheapest in the Uk on chrono24 is £4600 for a 1998/99 with no papers. The cheapest one of a similar age is £5800 with no papers.

I just want to do right by the old man and not get stitched up in the process - but I also appreciate I wouldn't get him a dealers price - nor would I want the hassle of trying to for months.

As witnessed by the fact that the watches do not sell, the prices on Chrono24 are too high. These are offering prices, you need to know where transaction prices are. I suppose for a private sale you'd be happy to get 4k, probably less. Some have sold below 4k on SC, or just above that but with recent service.

Let me guess the dealer offered you 3.5k. They would service the watch, tidy and lightly polish it (£500) and then put it up for sale at close to 4.8k, only to be happy to sell it for 4.5k. So they will stand to make £500 or so. Alternatively you could sell it for let's say 3.8k and make about £300 more for your dad (all figures give or take £200). You might even get 4k on eBay.

Blog Entries
    I would think you would achieve more , I looked at a 2004 in a dealers the other week at £5900.
    allowing for the service I would think about 4500- 4800 for a private sale

Craftsman
    Around £4000 for a private sale give or take £250. They may be £5500 at dealers but they will service them, offer a 12 month warranty and probably not achieve this advertised price as most will chip 10% anyway etc.

Unsure why you won't post what the dealer offered?

Craftsman
    Dealer offered £2500. Thanks for the input everybody. Shame I'm not allowed to sell it here - but I'm in touch with a few dealers now with a bit more of a steer on prices. Thanks all.