closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay Seller Protection

eBay Seller Protection

I know it's in the terms somewhere, but will eBay protect seller, if dodgy buyer claims an empty box has arrived and no watch?

Heard this isn't anything unusual there.

I will be using best possible shipping and insurance, but what else can be done for piece of mind? Video of packing the watch perhaps?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I will be using best possible shipping and insurance, but what else can be done for piece of mind? Video of packing the watch perhaps?
    How would that work - would you pack the watch then keep video running while you go to the PO?

Ha! Thought about sticking pre paid labels on, but its just daft, now you pointed it out.

Do pre-paid labels have serial numbers? If so, that might work.

Well yes they will correspond with couriers booking system.

Always a bar code as well.

Plus parcel will be scanned and collected from my address.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    when posting by courier or the PO, at the first available location the parcel will be weighed, and at the last hub/postal centre it will also be weighed, if the buyer states that the parcel was empty on delivery, this can be disputed by the weight.

one of many ways courier companys investigate fraud.

Master
    That's a very naughty Buyer if He will do that. Though I did took a video of the last 2 Omega I bought incase something like this happen.

I really don't think there is any strategy that can be used to prevent selling on there being a monumental PITA at times

Personally, I wouldn't sell anything that valuable (unless its a collection only item) on there due to the crooks and terminally deranged that seem to inhabit the place these days

Just my 2p's worth

Blog Entries
    As a seller ebay offers no protection, they say they will look at both sides of the issue but always fall on the side of the buyer.

Ebay seller protection is an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Master
    Once sent some goods to a customer who claimed that a part was missing, I asked if the packaging was intact, he said yes, I read out to him the weight from the PO receipt and told him that everything was in order, however unlikely it sounds the only scenario must be that somebody in the post office or his own postman must have carefully unpackeged the items took out what he wanted then packaged it back up, we will send him another item but would be reporting it to the post office and he would need to write a statement as it's plain theft, he then asked me to wait while he rechecked the package and promptly found the item, unfortunately there are scroats out there that will try it on.

Master
    I agree with everyone here eBay offers no seller protection and I wouldn't sell anything valuable on eBay unless it was cash on collection

Thanks.
    It's Chrono24 then.

That thread made me think too!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I agree with everyone here eBay offers no seller protection and I wouldn't sell anything valuable on eBay unless it was cash on collection

After reading the posts on this thread , i will be doing exactly the same in future .

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    when posting by courier or the PO, at the first available location the parcel will be weighed, and at the last hub/postal centre it will also be weighed, if the buyer states that the parcel was empty on delivery, this can be disputed by the weight. .
    Only the amateur postal thief would claim the parcel was empty.

1. Receive parcel
    2. Weigh parcel
    3. Remove contents
    4. Replace contents with any old junk weighing the same as original contents, for purposes of possible fraud investigation
    5. Claim against seller

I wouldn't and haven't sold on eBay for years.

And what about PayPal payments? Whats stops dishonest individuals to claim item was missing on a C24 deal?

on EBay the seller has no protection, if you get a chancer or plain thief you are screwed, if the buyer tells EBay the goods are not as described for any reason true or untrue, EBay will side with them. I recently had a buyer claim that a parcel had not been delivered, the carrier provided a picture of his front door and his signature. EBay then closed the case but nothing happens to the lying b*****

The problem is that eBay insists that you offer PayPal as a payment option, so if you refuse it you risk having both negative feedback and a Non Performing Seller mark against your account.

And if you do accept PayPal for a collection-only item, you run the risk of an INR scam.

^
    True

Master
    Phillpk I would only accept cash on collection for expensive items not PayPal, I sold my breitling chrono avenger on eBay a few years ago with strict instructions that it was cash on collection and lost count of the half wits messaging me wanting me to post it to the other end of the country and pay with PayPal

Phillpk I would only accept cash on collection for expensive items not PayPal
    Yes, but there's nothing to stop the buyer paying by PayPal, as eBay require you to offer it as a payment option.

You can refund the buyer, and not sell them the item, but as I said earlier you run the risk of getting negative feedback and a Non Performing Seller strike. Get too many of those and you won't be able to use eBay any more.