closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porsche PDK gearbox

Craftsman

Porsche PDK gearbox

Just had a 981 Boxster for a few days as courtesy car (white with red roof so a bit embarising). Anyway, the PDK in it was awesome. I've got a 981 Cayman manual and want a PDK now !!!

The gear change is like a Winchester rifle and so smooth and fast. Spent most of the time with it in Sport Plus mode using the paddles to change gear, the rev-matching in the down shifts was addictive too :)

Did you left-foot-brake too? I'd find it too tempting not to, especially with all that grip out of corners. It's got to be more satisfying to heel-and-toe with a manual though, surely?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Just had a 981 Boxster for a few days as courtesy car (white with red roof so a bit embarising). Anyway, the PDK in it was awesome. I've got a 981 Cayman manual and want a PDK now !!!

The gear change is like a Winchester rifle and so smooth and fast. Spent most of the time with it in Sport Plus mode using the paddles to change gear, the rev-matching in the down shifts was addictive too :)
    Yes it is. A actually is better than a Winchester More like an uzi.
    I have no idea why Porsche is producing manuals having the pdks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lambros View Post
    Yes it is. A actually is better than a Winchester More like an uzi.
    I have no idea why Porsche is producing manuals having the pdks.
    Because many people prefer manuals, I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Abyss, the soul of a human. :)

Master
    My 06 911 C2S was a manual and I really enjoyed the level of 'engagement' that gave me with the car.

I've driven a number of PDK 911s in recent years and my next one (if there is a next one) will be a PDK - I'm very impressed with it.

Craftsman
    Are people losing the love for a manual? I've owned one of these dual-clutch gearboxes, albeit on a VW, but I still prefer a manual. I even prefer the crap notchy manual I have on my current car. I suppose manual cars, even they even keep making them, will be cost options soon.

I've just committed myself to a manual 981 Boxster over the PDK option. Porsche kindly gave me a Boxster S with PDK to play with over a couple of days and, frankly, it was awesome. Compared to dual clutch gearboxes I've tried and owned previously it was seamless and lightning fast. However, the big issue for me is that I can't get on with using the paddles. Maybe it's a question of practice or simply that I'm too old and set in my ways to adapt but I just don't find them intuitive. Particularly when I'm pulling away from junctions I always seem to be searching for the paddle. I can imagine that if I were having a spirited drive on a road that I know well in a car that I know well they could be a lot of fun but for the rest of the time I imagine I'd just stick the thing in Drive. Whilst I'm happy to leave all my gearchanging to my Land Rover, that's not what I buy a sports car for.

Master
    I had a manual 911 996 a number of years ago and said I would never buy a Porsche with anything else. Recently bought a 911 991 with the PDK because it is simply immense! The manual just didnt come anywhere near. Sticking it into Sports Plus mode with Sports Exhaust on and messing about with the gearbox is one of my favourite things to do!!

As someone else said, maybe it's an age thing. PDK is faster and more efficient, but every time I've had one, I just end up sticking it in drive. Currently have a 1989 911 with manual which I decided to keep over the GTS with PDK I also had at the same time. If it's a car you'll be using regularly (rather than fun) the PDK probably makes sense.

Master
    Had one as a courtesy car for a few days, combined with the sports exhaust it made me go and find a tunnel just to floor it for the noise, the gear change was sublime. Makes my 5 speed auto in the 996t seem quite industrial.

Master
    Tried a 981 with PDK and as some say it was awesome although if I had it I would also tend to leave it in drive, sport mode or not.

I ended up buying a manual 987 RS60 - gear box is equally awesome and obviously more engaging.

Depends on what you want one for?

Every day? I'd go PDK

Just for fun? I think manual but it's not clear cut as that sounds.

I would class myself as a petrol head, firmly sitting in the 'manual is best' camp loving the interaction and feel of the car blah blah blah. However, after owning a string of decent performance cars fitted with 'flappy paddles' I can honestly say I will never buy a manual again. I get the same buzz from driving in sport mode and swapping gears through the paddles when on a spirited drive as I did with the manual, then I can just drop into auto for all the time I'm stuck in traffic or just want to waft.

Master
    Had a 3 year old 987 boxster years ago and took in for service. Porsche gave me a new Cayman S and it was amazing. Cost me loads as I had to sell the boxster!!

Have driven PDK cars a few times and they are fantastic. Wouldn't consider a Porsche without it now

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Following on from my ownership of a PDKS equipped 911 and then a very clever Nissan GT-R, this is my conclusion on the flappy.

Initially a blast, ultimately a bore.

Following on from my ownership of a PDKS equipped 911 and then a very clever Nissan GT-R, this is my conclusion on the flappy.

Initially a blast, ultimately a bore.
    That's brilliant. Copied with the intention of annoying my mates.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^it struck a cord with me as soon as I saw it.

Master
    My 981 Cayman has PDK, and I love it, it blips the throttle on down shift and is incredibly fast (in sport mode). The above comments are correct for auto/tiptronic boxes (I had a 996 tip and it wasn't great) but not for PDK.

Price rises of pre-PDK 911's would validate that

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It's got to be more satisfying to heel-and-toe with a manual though, surely?
    Of course, but that actually requires acquisition of the skill to do it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    My 981 Cayman has PDK, and I love it, it blips the throttle on down shift and is incredibly fast (in sport mode). The above comments are correct for auto/tiptronic boxes (I had a 996 tip and it wasn't great) but not for PDK.
    As said, not in my experience. Both cars, with similar gearboxes, lasted less than three months each in my ownership. Clever, yes, but dull and detached. I can quite happily blip myself, and fast changes are so yesterday. Skill and involvement both go out the window.
    Last edited by Skyman; 24th March 2016 at 22:15.

Master
    As said, not in my experience. Both cars, with similar gearboxes, lasted less than three months each in my ownership. Clever, yes, but dull and detached. I can quite happily blip myself, and fast changes are so yesterday. Skill and involvement both go out the window.
    I agree that they feel detached (slightly) I think it's because your left foot doesnt have any involvement, and that feels unbalanced somehow. I think if it was my car only (joint car with the Mrs) I'd have a manual, but I love the simplicity (in driving terms) of the PDK, town driving and the odd blast on a B road is great with a PDK, guess I'm lazy in driving terms.
    If I was rich enough and a 991 GT3 was in the offering, I would want it with a manual gearbox, no questions asked, because that car is about driver involvement, amazed Porsche don't offer a manual box.....GT4 is where I would go if I had the money!
    How did you get through the cars in 3 months?

#jedimode - This is not the gearbox you are looking for....

The market for modern Porsche's has changed and PDK is a showroom favourite for the average aspirationalist.

Clearly not for everybody (me) but hey ho,
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree that they feel detached (slightly) I think it's because your left foot doesnt have any involvement, and that feels unbalanced somehow. I think if it was my car only (joint car with the Mrs) I'd have a manual, but I love the simplicity (in driving terms) of the PDK, town driving and the odd blast on a B road is great with a PDK, guess I'm lazy in driving terms.
    If I was rich enough and a 991 GT3 was in the offering, I would want it with a manual gearbox, no questions asked, because that car is about driver involvement, amazed Porsche don't offer a manual box.....GT4 is where I would go if I had the money!
    How did you get through the cars in 3 months?
    I got bored, simple as that. Six months later almost to the day, I take delivery of a Caterham next week. I guess I like extremes!

Master
    I got bored, simple as that. Six months later almost to the day, I take delivery of a Caterham next week. I guess I like extremes!
    Fair enough, we all want different things from our motors,

What's the spec on your 7?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Price rises of pre-PDK 911's would validate that.
    Pre PDK they had tiptronic S single clutch auto. They have always had manuals alongside the auto options

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, we all want different things from our motors,

What's the spec on your 7?
    Simple and light. A Superlight Twenty, with a mere 135bhp, but less than 500kg. This is her (Chitty) today.

Carbon, and not much else, in abundance.

Master
    Simple and light. A Superlight Twenty, with a mere 135bhp, but less than 500kg. This is her (Chitty) today.

Carbon, and not much else, in abundance.
    Nice! Love it!

Master
    Sorry to tangent on the OPs original statement, but what are your thoughts on the GT4? Is it the only hardcore Porsche drivers car you can buy new?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to tangent on the OPs original statement, but what are your thoughts on the GT4? Is it the only hardcore Porsche drivers car you can buy new?
    My view is yes, although at a price and now a premium. The 911R looks epic, but sold out before it goes live, and the new GT3 sounds as though a manual is on the cards, but given Porsche's distribution strategy in the UK you will likely to have had to have had a letter of intent in for the last 12/24 months in order to secure one. That is not a strategy to which I want to subscribe, when spending £120k+.