closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 nasty crashes at the Goodwood Members Meeting Today

Hybrid View

2 nasty crashes at the Goodwood Members Meeting Today

This was the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021GVfHJ_YE

The second was in the Bruce McLaren Trophy Race for Can Am cars when the driver Michiel Smits went straight on at the end of the Lavant straight at circa 130mph hitting the barrier very hard in front of us. We feared the worst went they put screens up round the crash scene - the car was a right mess but the driver got out and made it to the ambulance on foot. His condition must have deteriorated though as he was airlifted to hospital.
    Last edited by andy tims; 20th March 2016 at 23:18.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

That first one looked brutal, almost 'Hollywood' - was the driver ok? Hope there were no nasty injuries.

Struth, that first crash was a shocker!

That's horrific. Looks like the car landed the right way up?

Master
    It’s a reminder of how exposed drivers used to be - it was the luck of the draw that the car didn’t land on the track or the barrier with the driver as the first point of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    That first one looked brutal, almost 'Hollywood' - was the driver ok? Hope there were no nasty injuries.
    Broken collar bone I understand - very lucky escape
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    Huge crash for Alonso but at least he had the benefit of modern crash technology. The crash linked below was not only huge, but also in a vintage car with none of that. Amazing that the driver survived with such little injury.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries throughout the outstanding weekend. It was cold though!!

I'm off there for a track day in a couple of weeks. A timely reminder that motorsport is dangerous, and I'll have the grandson in the passenger seat. I'll keep the red mist in check..

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I was standing about 50 yards away on that bank to the left when that happened. I saw the Cooper go wide out of the chicane and then come back on track. I didn't see the Lotus cartwheeling but, a few minutes later, saw it upside down in the pedestrian tunnel.

It was very nearly the end of this sort of racing at the MM and Revival. Thank heavens above that the tunnel was empty at the time and that the loose wheel didn't hit anyone. I've stood in that tunnel in the past with queues going both ways. It could have turned out very differently today.

But on a lighter note, the ground effect F1 cars were simply awesome. Oh, if only modern F1 was still like that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    as much as I care for the well being of the said drivers, I just cant get my head around this racing mentality, you go fast in a car, with other cars, taking risks on every corner, for the win etc.

then someone crashes, possibly dies and we call this fun? its like boxing to me, senseless .

Moto GP is another scale of madness altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    as much as I care for the well being of the said drivers, I just cant get my head around this racing mentality, you go fast in a car, with other cars, taking risks on every corner, for the win etc.

then someone crashes, possibly dies and we call this fun? its like boxing to me, senseless .

Moto GP is another scale of madness altogether.
    Horse Racing, Ski Racing, Boxing, Rugby, American Football, Darts (OK, you're most likely to die of heart disease here), etc - Many sports have inherent risks associated with them.

Chess is reasonably safe, I believe...

M

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Horse Racing, Ski Racing, Boxing, Rugby, American Football, Darts (OK, you're most likely to die of heart disease here), etc - Many sports have inherent risks associated with them.

Chess is reasonably safe, I believe...

M
    yes, and I seriously dont get any of the above with the exception of darts, football although risky is OK, any full contact sport like Ice Hockey etc. should be banned, and in the distant future I believe it will be, we are just not ready for it yet.