closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new old Black Bay Black today. Speculating?

Craftsman

Bought a new old Black Bay Black today. Speculating?

Having tried one out at WoS Regent Street last week, I took the plunge today and bought a new Black Bay Black on a bracelet. I can't deny that the speculative element crossed my mind, but in truth, I bought it because I actually like it. Having previously not been a fan of snowflake hands and feeling lost without a date complication, I changed my mind once I saw it in the flesh. I prefer having the rose on the dial instead of the shield on the newly announced replacement and I'm not bothered about the in-house COSC movement. The bronze and PVD don't float my boat. My decision was certainly aided by 10% deposit + 4 yrs interest free credit from WoS, which I took. I could have gone grey for less cash, but went for the credit instead.

From the speculative point of view, 6 months' production is very short for modern non-LE watches, and my unsubstantiated guess is that prices will dip initially due to the new one, but 10-20 years from now, who knows? I'm going to hang on to it regardless. If I take a hit financially, it's one that I am prepared to bear, which will make it no different from just buying a watch because I like it.

BTW WoS on Oxford St (opposite Selfridges) don't stock Tudor.

I was looking in a shop window on that side of that part of Oxford Street recently and saw a display of Tudors. What shop would that have been? I'm gorming at the watches so much I never bother notice the names of the shops

Good purchase that! It will be sought after given a few years

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I was looking in a shop window on that side of that part of Oxford Street recently and saw a display of Tudors. What shop would that have been? I'm gorming at the watches so much I never bother notice the names of the shops
    There's a Goldsmiths next to a Longines boutique a few doors down.

Master
    In 50 years time you will be the one laughing! Lovely watches

Craftsman
    It is a lovely watch and given the means, I would be purchasing as well.

It may serve you well in the future, it may not; in the mean time, you've got a lovely watch to enjoy!

Master
    Welcome to the confusing world of new old Tudors, or is that old new Tudor?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    The ETA models still in the shops, are now officially not just NOS in advance of the new in-house versions to made available later this year, but are now "vintage" or "classic" :D
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    There's a hint of Rumsfeld in there somewhere

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    In 50 years time you will be the one laughing! Lovely watches
    Only in my grave, sadly. However, my daughter (or any offspring she might have) may benefit

Master
    What's the logic behind thinking these might be sought after in years to come, that it was only in production for 6 months?

i know there is sometimes no logic to watch collecting though, so the best of luck!

Apprentice
    This may be a silly question but do you think there will be discounts not the old model given the new ones released? Thoughts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    What's the logic behind thinking these might be sought after in years to come, that it was only in production for 6 months?

i know there is sometimes no logic to watch collecting though, so the best of luck!
    Only available since October and have been in fairly short supply since. Will probably end up with less of them produced than some 'limited edition' omegas for example

Life's too short for a 30 year hunch.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

I agree there is no logic that it will be sought after. Relative scarcity may contribute to collectability but how something becomes more or less collectable depends on more than just rarity, so only time will tell. If I didn't also like the watch, I wouldn't have gone for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nhgenric View Post
    This may be a silly question but do you think there will be discounts not the old model given the new ones released? Thoughts?
    Not yet. I did ask

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Life's too short for a 30 year hunch.
    Only if it occupies a detrimental proportion of my life, which it doesn't, because I'm not obsessing about it.
    I see it as shopping for a watch that I liked anyway but with just a little "flutter" thrown in.

Cornflakes have a competition code inside the boxes at the moment.

Do you like cornflakes?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Cornflakes have a competition code inside the boxes at the moment.

Do you like cornflakes?
    Sure, but I'm not interested in a personalised spoon and moreover, with my name on it, it's guaranteed to plummet in value!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    From the speculative point of view, 6 months' production is very short for modern non-LE watches, and my unsubstantiated guess is that prices will dip initially due to the new one, but 10-20 years from now, who knows?
    If you like the watch, buy it. Who cares what it is worth 10 to 20 years from now? If I want an investment I make one. If I want a watch I buy one.

Congratulations, enjoy your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    If you like the watch, buy it. Who cares what it is worth 10 to 20 years from now? If I want an investment I make one. If I want a watch I buy one.

+1

The most important thing is that you enjoy your purchase.

Apprentice

you have purchased a fantastic watch. Dont speculate the nice watch

Journeyman

I disagree. Why not buy a watch you like and hope it increases in value? Look at the first Grand Seiko's made, they sold for about 2,500.00 back then and still do. However, a Rolex Sub was around 250.00 back then and they are how much now? Pretty good investment on the Rolex.
    If someone is a watch collector, why not look for the few that will sky rocket? That's part of the fun, the guessing. You are still left with watches you like and appreciate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    I disagree. Why not buy a watch you like and hope it increases in value? Look at the first Grand Seiko's made, they sold for about 2,500.00 back then and still do. However, a Rolex Sub was around 250.00 back then and they are how much now? Pretty good investment on the Rolex.
    If someone is a watch collector, why not look for the few that will sky rocket? That's part of the fun, the guessing. You are still left with watches you like and appreciate.
    A Grand Seiko cost 6 times more than a Rolex Sub in 1960? Do you have anything to substantiate that claim or did you just make that up?

Grand Master
    Nothing wrong with a little asset speculation! However don't the then try to sell it here; it won't pass the SotF test :)

Journeyman
    A Grand Seiko cost 6 times more than a Rolex Sub in 1960? Do you have anything to substantiate that claim or did you just make that up?
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the-...of-grand-seiko
    here is one write up to verify the Grand Seiko cost of the day.

And here is a Rolex bought on base around the same time, the year of the watch is the same or a year apart.

I was 15 off on the Rolex, but the Seiko is skeptical, there was a variance and I am within it.

is £250 in 1960 equivalent to around £4000?

Are the original GS only £2500? Thats cheap
    Last edited by Montybaber; 22nd March 2016 at 09:24.

Banned

I was 15 off on the Rolex, but the Seiko is skeptical, there was a variance and I am within it.
    Thank you, much appreciated.

To the OP congratulations on a great watch and if kept and enjoyed long term I cant see it being a bad investment, if it doesn't appreciate in value you have still owned a great watch for many years

the link states: The cost for this watch was equivalent to 300,000-400,000JPY today.

So roughly 2500 GBP

would think 250 in 1960 would be even more than that in todays value

at least according to https://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    the link states: The cost for this watch was equivalent to 300,000-400,000JPY today.

So roughly 2500 GBP

would think 250 in 1960 would be even more than that in todays value

at least according to https://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/
    I stand corrected. Money translated and age consideration of the money was not computing in my head.
    This was at another forum, I'm not sure if I can post a link to another forum here, it is a great write up on the remake GS and the story of its beginning. Here is a screenshot of a paragraph though and he says the GS was $1,000.00 back then. Still more than the Rolex, but in the end not as good of an investment as the Rolex. $1,000.00 in depression Japan was crazy high.

Well, I was qoing to wait for the new Black Bay Black but after seeing the old version in Beaverbrooks today I couldn't help myself and bought it.
    Lovely watch that looks better in the flesh than in photo's.

Craftsman
    About 4 Saturdays ago I popped into Fraser Hart (Milton Keynes) to look at the Black Bay Black. Unfortunately they didn't have one in stock, but they showed me the red instead (very nice). The lady said they were in high demand/short supply, and quite a long waiting list, but that I could look at the next one that came in to see if I liked it. The following Tuesday I got a call saying they'd got one in and I could have it. I clarified, "to take a look?", she replied, "no you can buy it"! Very strange.

Anyway, I passed, but it is one lovely watch. Judging purely from the online photos I prefer it to the new version.

Congratulations OP!

The black bay black is a lovely watch but it's difficult to choose between the current model and the newly release one.

For me the new one has the new movement (70hr power reserve!) and more options (double black is tempting), but I don't like the rivet bracelet, I've owned quite a few vintage with rivet (and expanding) bracelets, prefer the cleaner modern look. Not bothered about the Rose or Shield as again I've owned big Rose and small Rose vintage Tudors.

You can't go wrong with this excellent watch ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    About 4 Saturdays ago I popped into Fraser Hart (Milton Keynes) to look at the Black Bay Black. The lady said......that I could look at the next one that came in to see if I liked it. The following Tuesday I got a call saying they'd got one in and I could have it. I clarified, "to take a look?", she replied, "no you can buy it"! Very strange.
    She might have thought that you thought it was already reserved for someone else, and was reassuring you that it was yours to buy if you wanted it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Congratulations OP!

The black bay black is a lovely watch but it's difficult to choose between the current model and the newly release one.

For me the new one has the new movement (70hr power reserve!) and more options (double black is tempting), but I don't like the rivet bracelet, I've owned quite a few vintage with rivet (and expanding) bracelets, prefer the cleaner modern look. Not bothered about the Rose or Shield as again I've owned big Rose and small Rose vintage Tudors.

You can't go wrong with this excellent watch ...
    Thanks!
    This is my first Rose. I would love a vintage Rose Sub, but they are a bit pricey! My thinking about all this was that I can always add the new version to my collection in the future when it is released, but I may not get the old discontinued one as easily.

Obligatory wrist shot

Craftsman
    Looks fantastic! Congratulations on a lovely watch!

Craftsman
    I too would like a BB Black. Although I think it may be a case of the emperors new tudor. Because on this little watch collecting island people are talking up the potential for it to be an investment watch.

In the numbers that any modern mass production based watch are made in I don't see much scope for investment gains other than what might happen if tudor dramatically raised their prices. Next month some new forum favourite will be along and Black Bays I'm sure will come flooding out again like they did on first release when there seemed to be loads on here.

As you will often hear rare isn't the same as valuable.

Craftsman
    ^
    Makes total sense. This is not a serious investment, of course. The money for that goes elsewhere. A loose analogy for me would be a day at the races. I have a great time enjoying the event and at sundown, I am either up or down on the day's cash and I don't mind either way, because I've had a ball! (I do enjoy the races, but I am NOT a high-rolling bettor!)
    Slight difference with a watch is at the end, I still have some sort of asset with some value, whether it's appreciated or depreciated.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    In the numbers that any modern mass production based watch are made in I don't see much scope for investment gains other than what might happen if tudor dramatically raised their prices.
    Hit the nail on the head. The Black Bay started life at around £2k and almost by stealth, it's now at £2.5k. Yes, that includes the new movement, but it's already up nearly 25% in four years, in a period where a lot of other manufacturers (including Rolex) have slowed down somewhat. There will be future price rises - maybe a date display, oops that's another £250, an upgraded clasp... all of these things will drag up the price of the used ones, as it does with other watches.
    Next month some new forum favourite will be along and Black Bays I'm sure will come flooding out again like they did on first release when there seemed to be loads on here.
    I hope so - I'm hoping to pick up a bottle of cheap Red. There was a flurry of them when the Black arrived but used prices still start at £1,500 or so, and I'd like to pay £1,000 or at most £1,250.

A quick iphone shot of my recent acquisition.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    I too would like a BB Black. Although I think it may be a case of the emperors new tudor. Because on this little watch collecting island people are talking up the potential for it to be an investment watch.

In the numbers that any modern mass production based watch are made in I don't see much scope for investment gains other than what might happen if tudor dramatically raised their prices. Next month some new forum favourite will be along and Black Bays I'm sure will come flooding out again like they did on first release when there seemed to be loads on here.

As you will often hear rare isn't the same as valuable.
    As much as I love the Black Bays, I agree with this. Plus I don't think Tudor has the brand appeal to be collectable to the wider public for the prices to increase as a rarity. I can imagine a whole load of Black Bay Blacks sitting on Chrono24 with unreasonable prices not getting sold. Wasn't there one for £1.5k on SC not so long ago?

Master
    Yes there was. A veritable bargain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Thanks!
    This is my first Rose. I would love a vintage Rose Sub, but they are a bit pricey! My thinking about all this was that I can always add the new version to my collection in the future when it is released, but I may not get the old discontinued one as easily.

Obligatory wrist shot

Wondering how big your wrists are? I'm considering the bb but don't know how they fit. I normally wear the rolex gmt

Master
    I "invested" today! I'm already up a free pair of headphones!!

I only went in to pay a deposit on my ck2998!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Wondering how big your wrists are? I'm considering the bb but don't know how they fit. I normally wear the rolex gmt
    My wrists are a diminutive 6 1/4" so the 41mm Black Bay wears slightly big, but I'm OK with that. My 42mm Glycine however wears small for its size, so feels and looks right. My Rolex GMT 16710 wears just right for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I "invested" today! I'm already up a free pair of headphones!!

I only went in to pay a deposit on my ck2998!!!
    Harrumphh! I will be having words with WoS about this
    Good for you though!

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    I have 7 inch wrists and when I tried a BB on (red bezel, not that it matters), even though the edge of the lugs didn't reach the edge of my wrists it still looked too bigon me IMO. You really need to try one in the flesh.

Wearing the Black Bay today

I am waiting on a new Hydronaught 1200 to arrive, can't bear the waiting though, i like Tudors very much.