closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Consolidating collection - I can not make my mind up

Consolidating collection - I can not make my mind up

Over the year I have flipped flopped so many times on if I should sell 4 watches and move to 1 special watch and have 2 or 3 everyday watches.

I like the idea of choice I have in my collection at the moment, but always want a Patek 5711.

Those of you who have consolidated your collection for that one special watch, did you regret at it?

I've not been a member here long, but I think the perceived wisdom is you keep the collection AND buy the Patek.

Master
    I go through phases. I buy a few cheaper watches, then sell the lot for one, then do the opposite. Repeat.

Master
    move onto one then if needs be sell and buy four again!

I couldn't go down to just one
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I consolidated down to just 3 a few months ago. None of which are 'Patek' level mind you.
    So I'm sitting with an IWC 3777, Rolex ExpII (216570) and a black Omega SMPc.

I'm happy to wear any of them as an everyday watch.. and just as happy to wear any of them as a 'good' watch if I'm going out.
    I still fancy adding a blue Breitling B1 and a red Black Bay.. and I may well do at some point... but I'm in no hurry and I haven't regretted letting go of the pieces I moved on.

Andy.

Same couldn't go down to one.

Ive tried to go down to one a couple of times - it doesnt work for me, it wouldnt matter how desirable, expensive or rare the one watch is, I get bored

Although I get fixated on various types from time to time resulting in some hoarding I usually return to having 3 or 4 pieces. Seems to be what suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I consolidated down to just 3 a few months ago. None of which are 'Patek' level mind you.
    So I'm sitting with an IWC 3777, Rolex ExpII (216570) and a black Omega SMPc.

I'm happy to wear any of them as an everyday watch.. and just as happy to wear any of them as a 'good' watch if I'm going out.
    I still fancy adding a blue Breitling B1 and a red Black Bay.. and I may well do at some point... but I'm in no hurry and I haven't regretted letting go of the pieces I moved on.

Andy.
    wowsers!!! cool choices as well, my dream list! possibly swapping out the SMPc for a PO.

I'm beginning to think I might have an 'end game', which looks like a collection of around 8 mostly reasonably high-end watches. I certainly don't see myself ever going down to one.

When I got into this pastime I bought lots of cheapish watches as I worked out what I like, and ended up with 23. As I've gradually begun to accumulate a few watches I see as keepers (3 of my 4 Breitlings, my elderly Omega and rather bizarrely my Maranez Layan), my collection has dropped to 16. I've also recognised that (funds permitting) I would probably want to dispose of the remaining 10 or 11 and replace them with 3 higher-end pieces.

Well, that's what I think now, anyway.... ;)

Simon

Master
    I didn't actually do any consolidating of the collection to buy it but I have recently bought a 5711 and other then the odd wear here or there I might as well not have any other watches! If you can manage I'd suggest pairing with a Tudor Black Bay or similar, so you have something to change to to avoid utter one-watch syndrome, but after a few days I'm always itching to get the Nauti back on.

Sorry my email was not clear. The plan is to keep:

Rolex Seadweller
    Rolex Explorer 11
    IWC Portuguese
    Sinn U1

Sell
    Roles Deapsea blue
    Cartier 18K slimline
    Rolex 41mm Datejust

So I be going down to 5, with one high end watch. The problem, is I love the deapsea, The cartier is so pretty and rose gold and just got the datejust. Deciding a new wife was easier!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Sorry my email was not clear. The plan is to keep: Rolex Seadweller Rolex Explorer 11 IWC Portuguese Sinn U1 Sell Roles Deapsea blue Cartier 18K slimline Rolex 41mm Datejust So I be going down to 5, with one high end watch. The problem, is I love the deapsea, The cartier is so pretty and rose gold and just got the datejust. Deciding a new wife was easier!!
    So don't sell them...?

Simon

Craftsman
    Based on your lists of what you'll keep and what you'll sell for the 5711, I say pull the trigger. I don't think you'll miss any 1 from that list of 3 once you've got the Nautilus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I didn't actually do any consolidating of the collection to buy it but I have recently bought a 5711 and other then the odd wear here or there I might as well not have any other watches! If you can manage I'd suggest pairing with a Tudor Black Bay or similar, so you have something to change to to avoid utter one-watch syndrome, but after a few days I'm always itching to get the Nauti back on.
    Same here.
    I might as well sell everything else I have as they get nearly no wrist time at all.
    Maybe the honeymoon period will end soon but after 6+ months in still in love :-).

As a plan however it does sound very good. Buy 3/4, sell them all for 1. Repeat until poor/divorced/dead.

Master
    In that case then 100% yes, sell some watches to get a 5711. The combo of watches to sell is really up to you but I would definitely do that if you'll be left with a good bit of choice.

Mind is made up at long last. IWC sold, 2 Rolex going to watchfinder and deposit paid on Patek. Only 9 months to go until I get it.

Thanks one and all, no more sitting on the fence

Mind is made up at long last. IWC sold, 2 Rolex going to watchfinder and deposit paid on Patek. Only 9 months to go until I get it.

Hi there,
    So you were quoted a 9 month wait then?
    That's not too bad for 5711....

yeap, they only have 1 person in from of me that have out a deposit down and they get one every 5 months. But you never know!!!

I've learnt that every time I consolidate to one watch, I always end up getting more. I go through the motions endlessly, and I suspect a lot of us are the same.

Save yourself money in the long run (unless of course you have immediate need for it) and keep the ones you like. You'll only want them again later, and lose money rebuying them if you're anything like me.

Master
    dare i ask what the current retail on a 5711 is?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    dare i ask what the current retail on a 5711 is?
    £16340.

I collected watches from the age of about 18 when I bought my first Omega Seamaster. I used to be a proper WIS and at my peak I had about 12-15 high-end watches (Omega, Breitling, Rolex etc). After 18 years of collecting, when the Apple Watch came out, my collection was reduced to just the Apple Watch.

I still love to look in shop windows but can no longer purchase as I just know I can't wear anything else (it would be like leaving the house without my mobile).

I recently bought a Seiko Cocktail Time to try and break the habit!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    £16340.
    not as bad as i feared

i could conceivably do the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I collected watches from the age of about 18 when I bought my first Omega Seamaster. I used to be a proper WIS and at my peak I had about 12-15 high-end watches (Omega, Breitling, Rolex etc). After 18 years of collecting, when the Apple Watch came out, my collection was reduced to just the Apple Watch.

I still love to look in shop windows but can no longer purchase as I just know I can't wear anything else (it would be like leaving the house without my mobile).

I recently bought a Seiko Cocktail Time to try and break the habit!
    You could buy a mechanical watch and wear it with the Apple Watch on the other wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They dropped the price of the 5711 a little while ago, along with the rest of the range.

Hardest part is to find a dealer who doesnt have a load of people on the list, but its doable.

And they are wonderful watches, thin but wonderful. For that reason be sure to try one first as its very different to others.

Master
    One day I will get down to single figures for my watches, or so I keep telling myself.

I walked into the Patek boutique today and I asked about the waiting list for the 5711.
    She said that they aren't even taking names anymore!
    The waiting list is at 3 years and they don't want to add anymore people to the list.
    I went to Watches of Switzerland on Regent St and they said exactly the same thing.

The lady at the Patek boutique gave me her card and said to email her in the summer to see if the situation changes.

This is extremely frustrating....I have to wait to join a waiting list ffs!

Central London is probably the worst place to try due to the amount of passing traffic though. The list is likely to be smaller at smaller and more remote ADs.

Banned
    Wonders what is so special about the 5711 anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I couldn't go down to just one
    I think I could - but that one watch would change frequently probably every 4 to 6 weeks

I'm trying the exact same thing myself at the moment...and failing miserably. In my mind, I would ideally like to be able to select from 5 watches. I put 2 up for sale recently, the second hasn't quite sold yet but that would have got me down to 8 watches, the exact number my watch box holds. Only problem is that I have another watch on pre-order which is due for imminent completion and I've already started looking for a bronze Aquadive as a reward for managing to sell 2 of the 10 I had. I have been successful though in resisting attempts to buy a second watch box, we all know where that leads to.

It's a sickness, I'm not sure there is a cure. Still, I'm in the right company at least

Master
    For me quality > quantity. The magic number imho is 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A classic dilemma, which most of us have been through, at least once. For me, quality every time. I sold four good watches recently, and replaced them all with one Day Date 40. So, because of the expense, that has to form the heart of my 'new' collection. The second member of this little group will be a Grand Seiko quartz divers watch (sbgx117) which arrives tomorrow. So, one fine mechanical watch, one quality Grand Seiko always ready to pick-up and go.
    I think room for just one more, but that's for another time. The real question is; how often do people actually stick to these 'downsizing' schemes?
    We all know the answer to that. But I'm going to hold to this 'sensible' scheme for as long as I can. Best not to delude myself that I can hold-out for ever.

Craftsman
    I got my 5711 in 5 months, the trick is to go to ADs outside the capital, further north the better.

Last edited by Cinch; 22nd April 2016 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I got my 5711 in 5 months, the trick is to go to ADs outside the capital, further north the better.

Thanks for the advice.

I remember driving up from London to Wolverhampton to buy my first ever decent watch in 1990.
    There was limited availability in London for the submariner at the time!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I remember driving up from London to Wolverhampton to buy my first ever decent watch in 1990.
    There was limited availability in London for the submariner at the time!
    Try to put down a deposit if the ad will let you, I actually offered to pay it all up front I think that's what made my ad realise that I was a serious customer.

Master
    Over the year I have flipped flopped so many times on if I should sell 4 watches and move to 1 special watch and have 2 or 3 everyday watches.

I like the idea of choice I have in my collection at the moment, but always want a Patek 5711.

Those of you who have consolidated your collection for that one special watch, did you regret at it?
    I did it once. Didn't regret it, but the collection did grow again! :)

That's always the worry. Well all the watches I need to sell are gone.

I agree about going outside London. Patek boutique in London would not even put me on the list. Deposit paid just the unbearable waiting game and getting teased by fellow owners putting pictures up

Master
    Btw I did the exact same thing a few years back. Sold everything for the 5711.

Conclusion => It doenst work LOL at least for me, i think i need at least 3, and complicated watches for me are just inherintely more interesting. Hence now I have upgraded to a 5205. Pateks really start at the complications for me.

Master
    I have just gone down this route; sold an IWC, two Rolexes and put in extra cash to get a new DayDate 40. I am pairing it with a Grand Seiko quartz diver watch. We will see how that all goes. I have also kept a Rolex Prince for the time being.
    All a bit theoretical as an approach. Fortunately I prefer simple watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    For me quality > quantity. The magic number imho is 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Three is a good number.
    I have five watches I like & with some I find I have a "should be wearing this more often" feeling each time I take it out.
    (depends on the relative frequency with which I wear each)

Craftsman
    I reckon the sweet spot, for me, is 5-8 watches. I love to rotate them, and any fewer than 4 and I can't fill certain niches such as a holiday watch, an outdoor watch, daily beater for work, evening watch etc.