closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Possibly the best value watch I've owned

Master

Possibly the best value watch I've owned

Usually a “bang for buck” watch thread becomes a list a lot of fantastic watches you can pick up for not much money and are great performers. I think my Seiko SKX009 and Christopher Ward C60 Trident quartz fit nicely into this category; great watches, well built, and not a lot of money to buy. This one may seem a little strange then as a bang for buck watch given it's reasonable cost but the more I think about it, the more I think this is the best value watch I’ve owned, the Zenith Choronmaster Moonphase.

For starters, it looks absolutely gorgeous. It’s 38.5mm diameter and about 13mm thick and features the wonderful and in house El Primero 410z movement, a true hi beat (36,000 vph) COSC certified movement that can measure 10ths of a second and makes the seconds hand move very smoothly. For the few who may not know, this is the movement Rolex used in the Daytona until they got around to making their own movement for it. The movement has a 50 hour power reserve and contains 354 individual parts. Mine has gained 1 second in 2 days wearing it all day and storing it dial up overnight.

As well as normal time telling features it also has a chronograph, moon phase, and calendar featuring day, date, AND month.

Build quality and fit and finish of this watch is absolutely superb. I’ve owned a few Zeniths prior to this but this particular model has really stood out for me. The pushers for the chrono are solid and have a very satisfying click to them when pushed and there is no “play” at all in the crown when setting the hands.

It also features a sapphire crystal display back so you can see the El Primero movement in all its glory.

So, for your money you get:

A well respected, in house hi beat movement
    Sapphire crystal front and back
    Hours, minutes, seconds
    Day, Date, Month
    Moonphase
    Chronograph capable of measuring 10ths of a second
    Very high build quality

Now to the bang for buck part which some may agree or disagree with but I’ve seen these go on forums for between £2200 - £2600 depending on age / condition and whether it’s the bracelet or strap version which given the movement, complications, and general build of the watch I think is a real bargain. Mine came with all original boxes and paperwork and is near mint showing no signs of wear to the head and minimal to the strap (which I changed for a Hirsch Viscount I had in my strap box as I preferred it) so was at the higher end of the quoted figures through a trade deal but to me still a hell of a lot of watch for the money.

Master
    I think you've just sold this me. Right size and complications at a sensible(?) price

Master
    Mooar photos please!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    El Primero 410z movement, For the few who may not know, this is the movement Rolex used in the Daytona until they got around to making their own movement for it.
    Not quite, Rolex reference 16520 used a movement based on the Zenith El Primero 400, it was simplified and had its beat rate reduced to 28,800, from 1988 to 2000.

Had a Chronomaster triple date for a while, great movement, beautiful to look at, but I moved it on as it was a little too dressy for my taste at the time, as I get older I do keep an eye one for one occasionally, and it'd have to be a recent service, full B&Ps and on a bracelet
    Last edited by nunya; 22nd March 2016 at 12:14.

Very good quality watch for the price.

It is a good looker as well, though I would have preferred just markers rather than the Roman numerals.

Mitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Mooar photos please!
    Here's the others I took:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Not quite, Rolex reference 16520 used a movement based on the Zenith El Primero 400, it was simplified and had its beat rate reduced to 28,800, from 1988 to 2000.

Had a Chronomaster triple date for a while, great movement, beautiful to look at, but I moved it on as it was a little too dressy for my taste at the time, as I get older I do keep an eye one for one occasionally, and it'd have to be a recent service, full B&Ps and on a bracelet
    Thanks for the clarity on the exact version used. I knew Rolex slowed the movement down for longer service intervals / better longevity of the movement.

Zenith do make (mostly - Rolling Stones Model not withstanding) awesome watches, and they are a brand mostly under the radar, unless you are a watch nerd like we are. :) just way out of my price range sadly.

Certainly good value for money for the prices you mention, and a beautiful watch overall. My only dislike is the date which really kills it for me, not that I can afford watches at the moment(I'm closer to selling than buying sadly), would look far better without it IMO.

Still, cracking watch and the display back is the icing on the cake, what a beautiful movement.

Craftsman
    Picked one up recently, so still in the honeymoon phase so to speak.
    Nice pictures (better than mine, need to figure out how to get them the right way round!)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3897646
    I found this thread a useful reference in my searches.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...r-1041394.html
    Also a 2002 catalog I was able to pick up on the forum.
    (list price with bracelet then was almost £5K)

A beautiful watch with a beautiful movement . A great quality watch for the price .

Master
    Fantastic looking watch!

Lots of useful complications neatly laid out, congratulations.

Now how did you manage to get the hands & part of the dial to appear red in one of your photos?

Master
    Really nice. As and when I feel the need to trade up then Zenith are a distinct possibility. Lovely watch and size but whilst the roman numerals may be right for the style I'm not a fan of them per se. Gorgeous finish and movement though so appreciate your vfm judgement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Picked one up recently, so still in the honeymoon phase so to speak.
    Nice pictures (better than mine, need to figure out how to get them the right way round!)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3897646
    I found this thread a useful reference in my searches.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/sho...r-1041394.html
    Also a 2002 catalog I was able to pick up on the forum.
    (list price with bracelet then was almost £5K)
    Very nice! Will look better in leather I think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic. Lovely clear sub-dials that don't intrude upon one another. The minutes subdials is wonderfully labelled. Very nice.

Nice. Fantastic. Perfect!!
    Wear it in good health.

Apprentice
    that case is in stainless steel.looks bright and decent

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Very nice! Will look better in leather I think.
    I tend to agree, but always try to buy with bracelet where possible.
    In this case, I believe with some zeniths of this generation it's not possible to replace a strap with a bracelet (but vice versa is ok).
    Wasn't able to confirm with my research.

That is lovely. It's unusual to see chrono and calendar complications in the same watch, but it's all laid out sensibly. My favourite detail is the graduations on the edge of the date window so it doesn't interfere with the chrono measurement.

I'm a Zenith fan...but the date window on that is an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Mmmm - I kind of see what you mean, it's a little unconventional, but I suspect it's a lot more readable for those with ageing eyes than a small, regular sized window would be.

It's certainly not an 'abomination', in my opinion (certainly better to my eye than a Cyclops).

M.

It's untidy, but still having the chronograph markings on it really shows the primary purpose of the watch. I like it.

In terms of horology for your money, a triple calendar with moonphase combined with a 36,000vph chronograph. Pre-owned, there is nothing on the market to touch it, a JLC Master with EITHER a chronograph or calendar costs double straight off the bat and quality is on a par.

That date window design is on some quite old vintage Zeniths. In general I dislike most date windows, but this one is so extreme I find it almost endearing.

Last edited by Der Amf; 23rd March 2016 at 10:38.

Your right Steven, a stunning watch and very under appreciated, I'm missing it already! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Your right Steven, a stunning watch and very under appreciated, I'm missing it already! :)
    Haha, sorry Steve I didn't mean to give you traders remourse with my review!! . Seriously though, loving the watch as I'm sure you can see. Incidently, someone asked what was with the hands as they look silver in one picture and red / rose gold in another. I was wearing a red shirt when I took the picture and thats the hands catching the reflection, they're that well polished!!

I was reading the intro post and assumed this would be a 7k watch, shockingly good value at 2-3k. I'm green, and now possibly looking at one for the future!

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Haha, sorry Steve I didn't mean to give you traders remourse with my review!! . Seriously though, loving the watch as I'm sure you can see. Incidently, someone asked what was with the hands as they look silver in one picture and red / rose gold in another. I was wearing a red shirt when I took the picture and thats the hands catching the reflection, they're that well polished!!
    I read somewhere that the hands and Roman numeral hour markers are White Gold which might be the reason.

Master
    Have to echo Lewis' comments on the watch.

You made an excellent choice to have it Steven!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I was reading the intro post and assumed this would be a 7k watch, shockingly good value at 2-3k. I'm green, and now possibly looking at one for the future!
    Back of the queue please

Definitely a watch that suits a leather strap

Craftsman
    Beautiful watch, wear it in good health.
    I must admit I've seen a couple of zeniths and been surprised how good the value is for the quality/finish of the watch.

This is the Zenith that I will be getting at some point to replace the Chronomaster, it's the same 410 movement but is slightly larger at 42mm.

Craftsman
    Envious, yes I am. That is the Zenith I have been looking at for some time, although I prefer the watch on a bracelet. Oh dear looks like I might have to find room next to my Captain Winsor.

Master
    I agree great value but the design is poor. Like that date at 4 Oclock and the corresponding lines on top.....very strange they did that....

Master
    That is a lovely looking watch. Enjoy.

Zenith watches, especially chronograph's, quite often have/had the date window at the 4 o'clock position. I quite like it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I agree great value but the design is poor. Like that date at 4 Oclock and the corresponding lines on top.....very strange they did that....
    It is quite a common feature of Zeniths. The markers on top are so you don't lose timing accuracy should the seconds hand stop over the date window. I like that the date window is so far out, the case is nicely sized to the movement.