closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes SLK Experience

Master

Mercedes SLK Experience

We're looking at a used SLK for my wife. The R171 version, 2004-2010. Probably an early 200 kompressor model (the 1.8 engine). Been to poke around one or two and done the usual research online but thought I'd see what the local opinion is on these parts.

She's keen on a manual (trained her well!) which means far less choice on the market but fortunately most seem to be fairly high trim level as a lot of bits came as standard. Anything I should be looking for in particular with these models?

And before anyone suggests it - I already have an MX-5 as my daily

Never buy a manual Mercedes would be my only advice

Master
    The Mrs had a 350 for a year (auto) that needed a couple of rear shocks and a leaky roof (only in torrential rain on the motorway being forced in).
    Other than that is was a great if a little on the barge side.

Air scarf is great after years of Caterham, Elise and Atoms - getting old is ace, honest.

Had one for 3 months as an insurer-provided replacement while my TVR got fixed, and I've also driven one on a track. It's a comfortable well built pleasant car. If she is buying a manual thinking it will give a more sporty driving experience then I think she will be disappointed, I found it very bland to drive, even compared to say a decent E-Class (never mind the TVR :)). But that's just my taste. Good luck either way.

For me, Mercedes manuals have been incredibly disappointing. I usually like a car that can go at the whimsical moment and it just can't. The autos, with a good engine behind them, are far better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In the age old tradition of mentioning something that you haven't asked for;

I serviced my ex business partners car today. It's an SLK 320 auto, but the older R170. He has finally agreed to sell it as his wife never uses it. As I said, not what you're looking for per say but as its only covered 7000 miles from new, I thought it might be worth a metion!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also, as mentioned above, Merc manuals are poo. Buy an auto.

I have an R171, albeit the 55.. :) It's stupidly over-powered for normal use, I'd imagine the 200 is perfectly adequate for keeping up with the traffic. With regards to a manual, they aren't popular but at least it's got a normal handbrake as opposed to the stupid foot-operated parking brake that many Mercedes are afflicted with, so no dramas on that front. Also, unpopular = cheaper, generally.

Do make sure that the roof operates properly - they can be big money to fix. Apart from that, I'm not aware of any specific issues - make sure it's been looked after and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

This ^^^^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    This ^^^^^
    This, without a shadow of a doubt, buying a manual Merc will be probably the worst decision you'll make.
    I had a brand new manual C200 manual hire car recently and it was shocking.

Master
    Well....I'm glad I asked is all I can say! This really is quite overwhelming and almost unanimous against the manual. I think we'll have to try them back to back. There's a place only 4 miles up the road where we looked at a manual and he had a similarly specced auto so I'll ask to take the Pepsi challenge at the weekend.

Reassuring that the gearbox seems to be the only complaint though. Thanks for the input chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As I said, not what you're looking for per say but as its only covered 7000 miles from new, I thought it might be worth a metion!
    Can you PM me some details Dave? She has her heart set on the later model but I have tried to point her at the earlier one as it would be a slightly cheaper way in to ownership, and I think they still look alright for their age. Would be a hard sell I think but worth a try.

Master
    I have a R170 SLK 320 auto and am very pleased especially with the engine combined with the auto gearbox. Rust can be a problem as well as the electric (seats and seat heater). Check the motor for oil loss due to aged seals (especially the valve cover gasket). Not a big problem but seems to be quite common and can (and should) be fixed easily.

I find the ride in the R171's can be quite hard. I appreciate they're meant to be a sporty convertible. Ideal for Sunday morning blasts but can get a bit tedious when your just crawling around town.

I'd never own a manual Mercedes. The auto box in my AMG wagon is spot on...

Definitely go with the 320 auto. Bomb proof and effortless to drive.

The interiors in the older cars are one of my favourite car interiors of all time, German sophistication at it's finest.

I personally don't like the 4 cylinder ones as they don't suit the auto box as well in a sports car. The manuals are actually ok, but not as good to drive as a manual Z4.

Master
    Mrs has had one since new (54) and its been fine. Possibly a little underwhelming on the driving/power front in the 200 but gets the job done and still looks good despite being 11 years old.

The lower spec satnav is crap and the airscarf is nice. Her heated seat gave up the ghost recently, but in its defence it's been on every day for the past 11 years. Pretty good overall. Manual Mercedes, is she a taxi driver at weekends?

You want a Facelift 58 Reg onwards more power with better emissions budget permitting!

Kompressor is ok but can be a bit lack lustre, 300 or 350 more fun in facelift form with auto box. Roofs can creak with age, heater fans can be noisy. Auto box fluid must have been changed if over 50K, seven speed autos can be problematic if not maintained. Good luck.

Master
    I had a 55 plate C200 Kompressor (I think) for a while. Loved the quirky looks, a bit short of grunt, problems with leaks into the boot, dunno if that was roof related or not, never sorted 100%.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Can you PM me some details Dave? She has her heart set on the later model but I have tried to point her at the earlier one as it would be a slightly cheaper way in to ownership, and I think they still look alright for their age. Would be a hard sell I think but worth a try.
    Will do mate. That said, he is ex motor trade and with 7K miles and being like new (heated garage), I doubt it will be too cheap as an entry ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    and being like new (heated garage), I doubt it will be too cheap as an entry ;)
    I did think that as I wrote it! Cheers though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Do make sure that the roof operates properly - they can be big money to fix. ...
    Check out the Wheeler Dealers episode on diagnosis and cheap fix if it doesn't - it's not difficult to resolve roof problems

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    +1

Master
    I keep looking at 55's in the classifieds, must be good with a V8?

+1 on the roof problems (potentially) my Brother has one (230 Comp) with 140k on it and it still drives well. Not a tarmac scorcher in any guise below SLK55 though!!

Auto is a must though as said already!!

BMW Z4 a better car IMO, but the Honda S2000 is worth a look too.

Master
    Token and legitimate suggestion of a Boxster.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    I keep looking at 55's in the classifieds, must be good with a V8?
    I've had mine for just under 4 years now. Bought it at 23k miles and is now at 42k
    I added Kleemann headers /remap / cams so it's now about 420hp . The plan is to do the supercharger next and lsd
    Even without the mods it's an incredible car, the likes of which we won't see again as manufacturers downsize engines and add turbos. The new slk (badged slc) will have a 3 litre V6 and actually produce 360 Hp (less than the current R172 's 420hp)
    I did think about selling it but there's nothing I could replace it with, I looked at the R172 but even though it's got a great interior the looks don't do it for me

I've owned three slk's:
    1998 slk 230
    2001 slk 32 AMG
    2005 slk 55 AMG

faced with the choice between the newer R171 200 compressor and the older R170 320 I'd go for the 320 any day. The 6 cylinder is turbine smooth and although it does not produce much more power than the 230 sounds a lot less coarse (the reason I flogged the 230!)
    The R171 to my eyes has not aged as well as the R170 either, certainly the smaller engined models that don't benefit from the body kit of the AMG model. Charles ironside has an immaculate low mileage 320 in currently if you do want to take the R170 route.
    Ultimately it's down to personal preference. Engine wise all are pretty bulletproof . Things to look out for
    R170
    rust around the wheel arches and boot lid ( check by the number plate light)
    Transmission . Automatics are 'sealed for life' but may be worth factoring a flush / change as even the newest cars are 12 years old now. I did this on my '32 as part of a preventative maintenance program.
    R171
    heated seats. The seat bases tend to go as people kneel on the seats and this breaks the heating matrix in them
    airscarf- great option
    transmission fluid Is due a change at 38k . Check this has been done (some owners scrimp on this) as people have reported issues if neglected.
    The roof can sometimes fail. Mine did just before Ibought it with the previous owner spending £800 to rectify.

In total I've done 50k in the '32 (owned since 2008 and now driven by the wife) and 19k in the '55 . In all that time the only thing to fail was the camshaft sensor on the ' 32 which was just down to age.

Just take out a few different models to see what suits you best.There are a lot of cars out there so don't feel the need to rush Into a substandard one

I've got a very clean R170 with a full history, 80k and loaded with extras (Bose, sports exhaust, carbon and red leather). If anybody reading this is looking for a cheap way into an SLK and wants a lot of car for not a lot of money drop me a line!

Craftsman
    +1 on the manual gearbox, avoid it. The gearbox itself is heavy and slow, but the clutch somehow makes it worse.

My wife wanted one of these for years, since they came out.

She bought a Peugeot 206CC as it was, to her, a poor man’s alternative. She loved the Pug.

Time moved on, and her Mum died and left her a bit of money, just about enough for a decent second-hand SLK. She decided she would get one, in her Mum's memory as it were. As a weekend car.

We looked around for a while, found a lovely looking 200 Kompressor, Manual, air con leather, etc etc.. Decent price, just shy of £10k.

She hated it. Found it not nice to drive (the gearbox) and just somehow never enjoyed it. It didn't have the fizz, the brio, the whatever that made some cars fun to drive.

I kid you not, it did 400 miles between MoTs the first year, hardly 200 miles the second year. Traded it in for a Golf.

Shame, she so wanted it.

Just a personal tale, no doubt the newer ones are better, but the manual gearbox thing still applies. Make sure you/she drive anything first.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Bazzman; 24th March 2016 at 09:15. Reason: typo

I hate to simply echo what everyone else has said, but having had both (and normally MUCH preferring manual cars) - get an auto.

Master
    Thanks for all your input guys. We took your advice and went for an automatic in the end. And not only that, but I persuaded my wife that the 1.8 was lacking a bit of poke...we collect this 3.5L V6 next weekend

Master
    Thanks for all your input guys. We took your advice and went for an automatic in the end. And not only that, but I persuaded my wife that the 1.8 was lacking a bit of poke...we collect this 3.5L V6 next weekend

That looks lovely!

we collect this 3.5L V6 next weekend
    Good work! You won't regret it.

Cheers,

Plug

Always fancied the SLK350 since they came out. Mini SLR ;)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    - it's not difficult to resolve roof problems
    Not if you're called Ed China.........he makes everything look easy I saw that episode and I was mighty impressed!

As for the car, auto seems the way to go if you're looking at Mercedes. As an auto convert I`d never go back to manual for an everyday car.

Paul

Master
    Looking at the picture i think i can just make out that yours has the airscarf. It's the one thing i cannot understand has not made it into other cars as my friend has one of these and it really makes a difference on the cooler days.

Nearly bought one of these a few years back but ended up with MX5 as wifey wanted something smaller.

Craftsman
    Definitely looks the part.. what sort of money do these early cars go for now....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I've got a very clean R170 with a full history, 80k and loaded with extras (Bose, sports exhaust, carbon and red leather). If anybody reading this is looking for a cheap way into an SLK and wants a lot of car for not a lot of money drop me a line!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by 17bex; 29th March 2016 at 18:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Looking at the picture i think i can just make out that yours has the airscarf. It's the one thing i cannot understand has not made it into other cars as my friend has one of these and it really makes a difference on the cooler days.
    Yep, it does have Airscarf. It has pretty much everything in fact - very well specced. Not my favourite wheel design, but not worth skipping the car for.

Airscarf itself is a registered trademark of Mercedes, however Peugeot has "Airwave" in some models and Audi have "head level heating" (how very German) in the A5 cab. I only know all this because I asked myself the same question and found an article on the German Wikipedia!