closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko or Tudor?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshangs View Post
    i love grand seiko but go for the tudors . pelages , heritage chromo blue or black bay are all cool
    I called my AD but he said they didn't have anything called Pelages or Heritage Chromo.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    That was an easy one. I'd easily go for the SBGE. 200m, spring drive, GMT. The Tudor BB is very dull IRL (imho). The SBGE is far from dull and not as shiny IRL as on photos. It also wears great, not as big as the specs suggest.

That actually looks huge.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That actually looks huge.
    My thoughts too - looks like a dinner plate on his wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    My thoughts too - looks like a dinner plate on his wrist.
    I suspect it might be the angle, but I agree, it doesn't make the point the poster was hoping!

M.

Master
    My GS quartz diver watch, sbgx 117, is just about easing its way out of customs, where it has been for eleven days. Parcelforce has given me a weirdly low charge, but I shan't complain. Assuming it ever gets to my door. After a while it feels like a sort of 'mythical' watch which exists only in the mind.
    GSs tend to look nicer in reality than in the photos, so I am optimistic about the bezel, and size. My current GS quartz has never put a foot wrong.
    Anyway, on Thursday I collect my new mechanical watch....quite a contrast, and yes, it's a Rolex. The idea is to have one mechanical and one quartz watch. Wonder how long that lasts.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th April 2016 at 20:18.

The GS SBGE015 GMT is one of the best watches in the world, and way out in front of a lot watches costing a lot more.... But I'll be surprised if you can find one. I have rarely ever seen one for sale. I used to have the stainless steel version (SBGE001). I found it too heavy on the SS bracelet, so I sold it. I tried to source the Titanium version without success. I now have SBGA031, SBGA011, and SBGC013, all are Titanium.

Craftsman
    Lots of really good points here.
    Having handled several GS models and the Black Bay a few times I think the build quality and finish of the GS is far superior. I would always go GS over Tudor but I am afraid to say I have just seen an exception so it would be the Black Bay this time. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Deep down I know I want the Grand Seiko more. My dilemma is if I go ahead with the purchase I will be buying the watch from America so I won't be able to see if before hand. The price difference is also playing on my mind slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Deep down I know I want the Grand Seiko more. My dilemma is if I go ahead with the purchase I will be buying the watch from America so I won't be able to see if before hand. The price difference is also playing on my mind slightly.
    Buying from Japan or Thailand will surely work out much cheaper. If you get a price from the US let me know and I will see how that sits against the pricing I am able to get

Craftsman
    In my opinion most GS are utterly beautiful watches, ruined by the font/presentation of the branding.
    (and no I'm not just saying that because it's Seiko before anyone says)

Journeyman
    The Tudor for me as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    The GS SBGE015 GMT is one of the best watches in the world, and way out in front of a lot watches costing a lot more.... But I'll be surprised if you can find one. I have rarely ever seen one for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Buying from Japan or Thailand will surely work out much cheaper. If you get a price from the US let me know and I will see how that sits against the pricing I am able to get
    I reckon that if the OP can really get one for £3900 then he should snap it up! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that getting a SBGE015 for the equivalent of £3900 anywhere would be quite difficult. It always had a higher RRP than the SBGE001 I think (which can be had for the equivalent of about £3900 in the USA).

Just one comment to the OP: If you are buying this from the USA and having it shipped into the UK, don't forget to budget for the VAT @ 20%, so about £780 (plus £15 or so for the courier's fee). If your buying price of £3900 includes the VAT then definitely, definitely buy it!

Master
    A minor point. Wouldn't all Quartz watches be 'anti-magnetic' ? What is there to magnetise?

Journeyman
    Heart sais: Tudor
    Brain sais: Tudor as well :D

Of the two watches shown, I would go with the Tudor.

Tudor between these two, or some other GS, this is ugly, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    Tudor between these two, or some other GS, this is ugly, IMHO
    Yes that was my reasoning too. Quite a few GS are shall we say garish - this being one of them. The Spring Drive Titanium Chrono being another with the chrono pushers which are way too big. Had the GS been the Spring Drive Snowflake - then it would have been different.

I'd vote for a GS, just not that one

Journeyman
    It could be argued badge snobbery, of course, but no way I'd spend that much money on a Seiko GS, tech marvel or not.

The test, for me, is listening to someone asking "what car/watch/bike etc do you have", and where the simple answer has to be explained further to a layperson.

e.g. I have a Lexus. But it's a Lexus LFA. You know, the supercar one off Top Gear that is £350,000.

It's not that the answer has to be a "badge", more that it shouldn't have to be explained further.

At that point, the mystique has gone and, to me, it's no longer sought after.
    Last edited by Siac; 5th April 2016 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Siac View Post
    It could be argued badge snobbery, of course, but no way I'd spend that much money on a Seiko GS, tech marvel or not.

The test, for me, is listening to someone asking "what car/watch/bike etc do you have", and where the simple answer has to be explained further to a layperson.

e.g. I have a Lexus. But it's a Lexus LFA. You know, the supercar one off Top Gear that is £350,000.

It's not that the answer has to be a "badge", more that it shouldn't have to be explained further.

You have all my sympathy. I however don't feel any need to explain my watch choices to non-WIS, hence I love wearing my SBGR061.

Pic borrowed from another thread:

Cheers,
    Christian

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    You have all my sympathy. I however don't feel any need to explain my watch choices to non-WIS, hence I love wearing my SBGR061.

Cheers,
    Christian
    That is a beauty, no question. I think the rich colour of the strap works wonders compared to the steel bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Cheers,
    Christian
    Anyone who claps eyes on that and thinks "that's just a Seiko" is an idiot anyway. Is the approval of idiots worth much?

Blimey I want one

Craftsman

idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is the approval of idiots worth much?
    I don't know...... Trump seems to be seeking it, and doing just fine ;)

I see your point, but I always underplay that sort of thing.

For me a Lexus LFA would be idea (in this respect anyway) in that I'd enjoy saying "I've got a Lexus" and having the other person imagine it was an i200.

If I had a Jaguar XJ220, I'd say "I've got a Jaguar" and let them think it was an old X-Type, similarly I'd say "A Lancia", if it was a Stratos.

It wouldn't work with a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, of course.

If I knew the person was really interested in cars, I'd say an "LFA", "XJ220" or "Stratos" knowing they'd know what that was, but for the general public, flaunting a brand name just sounds a bit vulgar to me...

Sadly I only own a Mazda

M

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I see your point, but I always underplay that sort of thing.

... If I knew the person was really interested in cars, I'd say an "LFA", "XJ220" or "Stratos" knowing they'd know what that was, but for the general public, flaunting a brand name just sounds a bit vulgar to me...

Sadly I only own a Mazda

M
    I can see both sides too. I like the reference to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS" or some such, that makes sense.

Hmm, the vulgarity of the flaunting though... :)

Why else do people buy a watch that costs thousands, rather than a £9.99 Casio from Argos - it's a flaunt by simply wearing it, no?

Else why buy it in the first place?

I can see both sides too. I like the reference to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS" or some such, that makes sense.

Hmm, the vulgarity of the flaunting though... :)

Why else do people buy a watch that costs thousands, rather than a £9.99 Casio from Argos - it's a flaunt by simply wearing it, no?

For one's own pleasure? I don't expect anyone to be impressed by my watches, cars, shoes, clothes, pens, knives, coffee machines, whatever...

I'm as equally baffled why anyone would buy things in the hope of impressing other people as you seem to be as to why people would buy things EXCEPT to impress others...

M

Master

Because I can and I want one for ME
    If someone thinks I'm a flash so and so for wearing it, fine
    If someone thinks I've more money than sense, fine
    If someone likes the look of it, fine
    If someone hates the look of it, fine
    If someone is jealous of my disposable income, they should have worked harder at school and once employed, worked smarter

to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS"
    But you wouldn't say Seiko GS would you, you'd simply say "Grand Seiko"...

It could be argued badge snobbery.
    I don't think there is any argument. What you have just described is badge snobbery.

Journeyman
    I don't think there is any argument. What you have just described is badge snobbery.
    Could well be and that is part of it, of course, else why buy expensive watches in the first place.

Could well be and that is part of it, of course, else why buy expensive watches in the first place.
    Because I have an interest in watches and Grand Seiko make excellent watches. You could argue for the money that there is nothing better out there. Out of interest can I ask where your point of view is coming from? As a member of a watch forum I imagine you have an interest in such things and would therefore buy watches based on more than the brand on the dial?

Blog Entries

That stuff is only important if you are in effect buying to please other people or improve how they see you.

If you buy for your own pleasure then it just doesn't matter.

"Yes, it's just a Seiko" is an adequate answer for me.

For personal pleasure and satisfaction.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th April 2016 at 15:17.

Journeyman
    I own a few GS and think the world of them. That would be my choice although this particular model isn't a favourite.

Banned

Cool

Wow, seriously? Must be TWO of my favourite brands. I've been eyeing teh 79220N not the 79230N (as I think the new one's called) for a while now... hell why not go for the in-house!

But I must confess, GS is one of my top brands, and it's not caprice. Seiko make some excpetional F#$%^&*() watches.

I woulda said, off the cuff, go for the BB. But after seeing THAT GS... it looks amazing.

I know I am a bad fan – but I've only had my eye on a select few GS models, and they were enough to convince me of the brand as a top-notch brand.

Anyway. Go GS.

Quote Originally Posted by iamvice View Post
    Wow, seriously? Must be TWO of my favourite brands. I've been eyeing teh 79220N not the 79230N (as I think the new one's called) for a while now... hell why not go for the in-house!

But I must confess, GS is one of my top brands, and it's not caprice. Seiko make some excpetional F#$%^&*() watches.

I woulda said, off the cuff, go for the BB. But after seeing THAT GS... it looks amazing.

I know I am a bad fan – but I've only had my eye on a select few GS models, and they were enough to convince me of the brand as a top-notch brand.

Anyway. Go GS.
    Cool story bro'

Grand Seiko would be my choice.

Journeyman
    Tough call. Its a win win in my book. I guess go with the one you need most in your collection. Diver or GMT.

One can pose with the notion of a GS

Craftsman
    Love the tudor, am thinking about it myself though haven't had the chance to try it on.

I thought I should give you all a quick update. I decided against the Grand Seiko in the end as I tried on the steel version and found it a bit big for my girlie wrist. Also the fact that I wasn't able to see it in person before spending that amount of money was another negative. That left the Tudor, which I like but I just couldn't bring myself to put a deposit down for it. However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089. Yes it's a quartz but that doesn't bother me. The proportions I know will be a comfortable fit on my wrist, anti magnetic and I really like the touch of gold on the dial/seconds hand. Currently on its way to me from Japan and I ended up spending a lot less than I thought I was going to.

I thought I should give you all a quick update. I decided against the Grand Seiko in the end as I tried on the steel version and found it a bit big for my girlie wrist. Also the fact that I wasn't able to see it in person before spending that amount of money was another negative. That left the Tudor, which I like but I just couldn't bring myself to put a deposit down for it. However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089. Yes it's a quartz but that doesn't bother me. The proportions I know will be a comfortable fit on my wrist, anti magnetic and I really like the touch of gold on the dial/seconds hand. Currently on its way to me from Japan and I ended up spending a lot less than I thought I was going to.

^^^ Nice choice and not one I've seen before

However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089.
    That's rather lovely.

Wrist shot when it turns up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's rather lovely.

Wrist shot when it turns up?
    Of course!!

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I like that! A bit different.

Awesome, mind if I ask where you got it? I am sorely tempted by the SBGX091 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Awesome, mind if I ask where you got it? I am sorely tempted by the SBGX091 myself.
    I bought mine from a dealer off Global Rakuten.

I recommend Omicron watches for the model your after and they ship to the UK:

http://www.omicronwatch.com/#!produc...9-2b37d58ea2e7

I know Higuchi and Seiya Japan are held in high regard on this forum but I don't believe they ship GS to Europe any more.

Master
    I bought mine from a dealer off Global Rakuten.

I recommend Omicron watches for the model your after and they ship to the UK:

http://www.omicronwatch.com/#!produc...9-2b37d58ea2e7

I know Higuchi and Seiya Japan are held in high regard on this forum but I don't believe they ship GS to Europe any more.
    Higuchi may state that publicly; the reality is rather different.l. My new GS sbgx117 is due to be posted on Thursday. I imagine Seiya might be equally helpful. I find the' block' on European sales especially distasteful because the European dealers don't even offer some of these watches.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th April 2016 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Higuchi may state that publicly; the reality is rather different.l. My new GS sbgx117 is due to be posted on Thursday. I imagine Seiya might be equally helpful. I find the' block' on European sales especially distasteful because the European dealers don't even offer some of these watches.
    That's good info. I will keep that in mind if I ever buy a Grand Seiko in future. What I find ridiculous is the RRP for GS in the UK compared to Asia. It is crazy that even if VAT added you can buy the same watch from another continent for a considerable saving compared to an AD based in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J9bling View Post
    In my opinion
    buying a tudor means you can't afford a rolex (I would always go for a rolex over the two because of the better movement)
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh. It's possible to like both and own both.
    Extremely harsh - if someone wants a vintage snowflake sub or a jumbo prince in 38mm, or a few other unique Tudor models, there's no Rolex alternative, the design stands on its own merits. Likewise the new BB36 looks tempting, and while affordability is a factor, it's the design that makes it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by J9bling View Post
    In my opinion
    buying a tudor means you can't afford a rolex (I would always go for a rolex over the two because of the better movement)
    Extremely harsh - if someone wants a vintage snowflake sub or a jumbo prince in 38mm, or a few other unique Tudor models, there's no Rolex alternative, the design stands on its own merits. Likewise the new BB36 looks tempting, and while affordability is a factor, it's the design that makes it interesting.
    It's total bollocks frankly. Rolex don't make a single model I would want to own; Tudor make several.

Moreover the question was Tudor vs GS , so not sure why it is necessary to bring Rolex into the discussion.