closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you get complimented on your watch?

How often do you get complimented on your watch?

And... which of your watches attracts the most attention?
    Do you prefer to wear a watch discretely, or as a conspicuous object of consumption?
    Finally, if the latter, how do you show off your watch?

Master
    I wear long sleeved shirts all the time so nobody notices except the odd occasion I look at it. Guess I haven't bought it for showing off, just for my own satisfaction.

I typically wear my Sub C in the office, a few people who have an interest in watches have commented positively, I have noticed some surreptitious glances without comment.

I try not to keep it out there in a ostentatious way, but it does look great against a nice suit!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have an Entourage so get comments daily, it's written into their contracts for at least 5 positive comments weekly otherwise they are dismissed.

mike

Never, because I'm currently wearing a Tag ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only ever had one comment on a watch from an onlooker and was wearing a LS 1815.

To be honest I see nice watches and never comment to the owner.

I've a couple of friends who ask to see what I'm wearing, and then make nice noises, but I'm sure that's more out of warmhearted friendliness than a freestanding admiration for the watches. The only watch which has garnered completely unprompted admiration is an all-orange Swatch. It is quite eye-catching.....

Master
    I get complimented every single time I walk to an AD to buy something new and reassuringly expensive at full retail, with a tip, varying in amount, depending on the amount and quality of the sales staff's toadying.
    They always tell me I'm a man of extremely fine taste, that I've just purchased the best watch in the world and it was only available to me because I'm so suave and cool, not just normal cool, I'm talking Steve McQueen cool.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I get complimented every single time I walk to an AD to buy something new and reassuringly expensive at full retail, with a tip, varying in amount, depending on the amount and quality of the sales staff's toadying.
    They always tell me I'm a man of extremely fine taste, that I've just purchased the best watch in the world and it was only available to me because I'm so suave and cool, not just normal cool, I'm talking Steve McQueen cool.
    As in the dope-head, wife-beating Hollywood star Steve Mcqueen?

Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by M_Milaguet View Post
    Do you prefer to wear a watch discretely, or as a conspicuous object of consumption?
    Are you going to answer your own questions?

Never once had a comment, let alone compliment, on any of my watches. It's the way I like it.

Master

How often do you get complimented on your watch?

To show off my watches I just leave the price tag hanging and keep mentioning how expensive my watch is while pretending to talk to my expensive phone.
    Last edited by EJL25; 24th March 2016 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Are you going to answer your own questions?
    The only watches of mine which have ever attracted attention were heart rate monitors, which other runners took an interest in.

The only two watches I've ever had positive comments (any comments!) in 'real life' about are my Tissot PRC200 and my Sekonda Chrono with the blue dial.

Actually, that's not 100% true, one guy in my last place of work really liked my Speedmaster, but we talked about watches before, so the only unprompted interest was the two cheap(er) quartz watches!

Make of that what you will...

M.

The only watches of mine which have ever attracted attention were heart rate monitors, which other runners took an interest in.
    So, what other, non-heart monitor watches do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    So, what other, non-heart monitor watches do you own?
    Nothing particularly impressive or outwardly eye-striking, hence the lack of comments maybe ;)

Nomos Tangente with Power Reserve
    Junghans Max Bill Automatic
    Seiko Cocktail Time
    Casio SeaPathfinder
    Armani Ceramica
    and a Citizen titanium eco-drive chronometer (daily beater)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Sekonda Chrono with the blue dial.
    That wouldn't be the Sekonda Nearlytimer would it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    As in the dope-head, wife-beating Hollywood star Steve Mcqueen?

Cool?
    Yep, but I was thinking more on the lines of on screen persona, rather than actual mentalist

Craftsman
    It's not a genuine compliment, but I take it as such... My dad wears a Rolex gmt master but he secretly prefers the look of my omega 2254.50 and every time he sees me wearing it he asks to have a look at it...

Master
    Most recently by a Jehovah's witness on the doorstep. Awkward anyway, but then he also thought my Black Bay was a Sub. Shouldn't have ever opened the door I guess.

That wouldn't be the Sekonda Nearlytimer would it?
    Indeed, but I prefer the term Chavitimer, if you don't mind!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Nothing particularly impressive or outwardly eye-striking, hence the lack of comments maybe ;)

Nomos Tangente with Power Reserve
    Junghans Max Bill Automatic
    Seiko Cocktail Time
    Casio SeaPathfinder
    Armani Ceramica
    and a Citizen titanium eco-drive chronometer (daily beater)
    The first three watches is say we're certainly eye-catching, but perhaps only to someone who knew what they were! I really have fancied the 'Cocktail Time' for a while now.

People at work ask about my watches but only because they know it's likely to be something interesting. Outside of work, watch shops, watch dealers or watch events, no-one notices the watch, ever. I wear long sleeved shirts almost always anyway.

You'd think gold would catch people's eyes but there is plenty of cheap fashion plate out there so they stay under the radar too.

Apprentice

Cool

I think the watch is a luxury piece, But I like wrist watch very much.
    A satisfied watch can bring good spirit for us and a good day .
    and i always show my watch to friend

Grand Master
    I wear a very big Swiss dive watch quite loose, so it pokes out beyond the end of my sleeve. I often rotate my wrist down in a slightly foppish movement, causing the watch head to balance on the top of the carpal bones and stick out even more. Braying helps draw the attention, as well. I try to do this in bars as much as possible, and in dining cars on the train to Montenegro.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Not all that often but could be because it's cool at the moment and shirts and jumpers cover it. Roll on summer!

Master
    I'm Flava Flav.

I was perambulating through Homerton, in-between assignations of a deeply personal nature, when a local dandy interrupted my mental recitation of À rebours to compliment me on my timepiece. "Nice piece" he said, pointing at it with a bodkin. Personally I thought my Bamford somewhat quotidian, but I accepted the comment with grace, tapping the edge of my topper with my cane and continued on my way to Madam Sprocket in Dalston, my day lifted by a tiny acknowledgement of taste by the common man and the temporary belief that there is hope for us all.

I keep my left sleeve rolled up and my arm around shoulder height to ensure my watch is always noticed. That's just how I roll.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Indeed, but I prefer the term Chavitimer, if you don't mind!

M
    Well, that'll be two people that have one!
    I especially like the OEM 'leather' strap that must be made of snake skin the way it sheds layers!

Master
    How would you act if you met someone with a nice watch? I had a rep come meet me from an orthopaedic company and he was wearing a stunning white face Rolex. I'm clueless with Rolexs currently, so that's all I know. It looked like the Daytona that I've seen on here. But I'm guessing it won't be? Anyway, I wanted to comment but I didn't know what to say. should I say something? Just to acknowledge it?

It's an interesting point actually.

How would you be affected if someone didn't like your watch?

Well, that'll be two people that have one!
    I especially like the OEM 'leather' strap that must be made of snake skin the way it sheds layers!
    Ah, mine is on a bracelet that puts the multi hundred pound ones on Rolexes, Breitlings and Omegas to shame - it's both shiny AND light!

(Actually, to be fair, it's better than those on many Seikos costing much more!)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    How would you act if you met someone with a nice watch? I had a rep come meet me from an orthopaedic company and he was wearing a stunning white face Rolex. I'm clueless with Rolexs currently, so that's all I know. It looked like the Daytona that I've seen on here. But I'm guessing it won't be? Anyway, I wanted to comment but I didn't know what to say. should I say something? Just to acknowledge it?

It's an interesting point actually.

If the opportunity came up, I'd say "Nice watch" and leave it at that. If he wanted to discuss watches, great, if not, it was said and done.

Same as I might comment on someone's laptop or car.

If someone doesn't like my watch... so what? I don't like many watches that many consider it almost de rigeur to do so.

On the other hand, if they make a point of saying "Urgghhh... you own a XXX, that's sh*t", I'd probably be a bit surprised, but file them under moron and carry on...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 24th March 2016 at 11:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Couldn't give a flying F**K what someone else thinks of any of my watches. I didn't buy them for them, or need any sort of approval from anyone regarding my watches.

I dress like I just stepped off a Yacht (think beige shorts, pink short sleeve shirt, jumper over my shoulders) wearing my gold Rolex and take a stroll through Brixton.

My watch gets lots of attention that way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    I typically wear my Sub C in the office, a few people who have an interest in watches have commented positively, I have noticed some surreptitious glances without comment.

I try not to keep it out there in a ostentatious way, but it does look great against a nice suit!
    Well, yes, to us watch guys. But other people may think rather differently; my partner dislikes the Sub, which she finds boastful and 'obvious.' Just a 'boys toy.' Which is harsh and I don't agree, but I have realised that we have a view of the world which is not always shared. This has probably got worse because of all the fakes out there..people perhaps assume we are all wearing cheap fake watches. I just don't know. People won't say anything...
    So I keep my pleasure in wearing nice watches strictly to myself, or when with 'watch guys'. Incidentally, Rolex tell their ADs that the boss of the shop should be wearing a gold Rolex while at work. But Rolex don't provide them as part of the kit!
    Me, I don't wear a Sub any more, switched to the more conservative stuff. But I still like the sub a great deal, one of the greatest watches ever. I just don't assume the general public will share my view!
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th March 2016 at 11:28.

only once and that was when wearing a chinees Louis bolle costing just 40 quit!

- hopefully non of them
    - discretely, hidden under my shirt sleeve

Craftsman
    Only by the mugger before he took it :-)

I see people looking , but i never get any compliments or comments .

Craftsman
    Never.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Twice in 45 years

My Rolex Air king and my Seiko Tuna - two watches at the opposite end of the 'discreet' spectrum!

ATB

Jon

Master
    Most of you have summer it up for me. I see people looking, but only person i've ever had a compliment off was from a friend at university who also enjoys watches. I always wear long sleeves, and most of the time there is a barbour over the top as well so they are generally hidden away. Probably a good thing given my neighborhood.

Master
    Get lots of comments on my Hamilton Ventura Elvis XXL

I usually send out emails with links to manufactures websites to avoid embarrassing questions.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    my partner dislikes the Sub, which she finds boastful and 'obvious.'
    I think I'd be looking for a new partner.

I had the Tag Heuer Connected smart watch for a couple of weeks. It got more comments and complements in those two weeks than any other watch ever in 10 years.

The Tag has now been sold :-)

Since I started wearing an SMPc most days, I can safely say never. Perfect day to day piece but no-one gets excited about it.

Craftsman
    Not very often. My family do, but more in a "taking an interest in my interest" kind of way, and my boss does the same thing. Apart from that it largely goes unnoticed.

Only time anyone has ever commented on my watch was on a Fortis B-42. A close colleague said it looked like a 'salesman's watch'.

Probably not a compliment!

Master
    I was in a meeting once with a customer & one of their other suppliers... it wasn't a pleasant meeting... everyone trying to find blame with the others around why a project had stalled.
    The guy from the other supplier was wearing a Panerai (luminor of some sort, can't remember what now). At lunch time he was in front of me at the sandwich shop so, totally out of character, I decided to compliment him on his watch. Turns out he'd also clocked what I'd been wearing and we struck up a 15min chat about watches and various other non-work things.
    It certainly seemed to help change the mood during the remaining portion of the meeting in the afternoon.

Usually wear it on the shirt cuff to show if off.
    Get complimented all the time but usually after they finish admiring my shoes, tie, shirt and belt and telling me how nice I smell.

Just the once, on the occasion I wore this into the office. It didn't fit under my shirt cuff, so was on display all day.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.