closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time for a single Malt

Master

Time for a single Malt

Thought I would try this one tonight as I've never tried Glenturret, and with it being the Sherry edition I couldn't resist!

Anyone else tried this Dram?

I've not tried that but I do like sherry casks. Even, dare I say it, Grants do a Sherry edition which isnt bad.....Not in the same league as that though......

Craftsman
    I have never tried that one, here are my choices for tonight...

Journeyman
    Can't beat a good whisky, one of my favourites is the Aberlour A'Bunadh that I've just finished off, having to make do with the Aberlour Double Cask tonight instead, still a lovely tipple though.

Quote Originally Posted by broona View Post
    Can't beat a good whisky, one of my favourites is the Aberlour A'Bunadh that I've just finished off, having to make do with the Aberlour Double Cask tonight instead, still a lovely tipple though.
    The Aberlour and Edradour cask strengths are my two favourites.
    Last edited by j111dja; 25th March 2016 at 21:14.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a look here, great info for a wee dram or two.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=whisky+thread

mike

Try rum cask - the nose is just Oh mamma!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Have a look here, great info for a wee dram or two.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=whisky+thread

mike
    Nice one, I'll have a read through that one Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Try rum cask - the nose is just Oh mamma!
    I've always stick to Sherry notes with the exception of Highland Park and Jura, but Rum sounds good

My favorite drams are The Dalmore, Old Pulteney, Macallan, and The Balvenie!

Cheers!

Journeyman
    I am currently enjoying a nice drop of laphroaig 10 year with a small splash of water to open it up

Grand Master
    RIAC

Just settled down with a Nikka from the barrel. Jolly enjoyable.

Glenfarclas 15 for me tonight. Never tried the 40yo above - that must be something special.

Laphroaig quarter cask here, smokin

Brighty

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Laphroaig quarter cask here, smokin

Brighty
    Very nice, my wife is an air hostess and I've had an eye on a bottle from the duty free for a while , how does it compare to the 10 year old?

Much better than the std 10yr, more complexity and depth i think. It's usually on the shelf in asda, only £25 at the moment. I prefer the 10yr cask strength out of the 3, but don't seem to see that around any more. Avoid the laphroaig select, it's a toned down version to appeal to those who find the full smokey peaty ones a bit challenging. Pricier, but ardbeg and lagavulin are v good. Smokehead is worth a try too, can be had from amazon.

Brighty

Time for a single Malt

Having a go at this one tonight - Kavalan Solist... Sherry cask, and cask strength at 58.6%. Unusual, and not unpleasant, although very different from the sort of thing I'd usually go for. Think it's growing on me. Anyone else tried this and have a view?
    Last edited by DMC102; 26th March 2016 at 00:47.

It has been party night at our house.

I was grudgingly required to bring out a few malts, thankfully our guests favoured the wine and beer.

The Bowmore Tempest is impressive value for money, and the oak finish on the Laphroaig is a great introduction for whiskey newbies.

I finished a bottle of Talisker Storm last year, wonderful ...

Clearing up, I am enjoying a large Smokehead !
    Last edited by W124; 26th March 2016 at 01:21.

Master
    Must mosey down to the newly opened Whiskey Exchange in Covent Garden. Seem to have quite a variety but no discounts unlike Waitrose.

Looks like it'll be cold, wet and windy today. Just the weather for a chap to delve into his maltventory later.......

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=Maltventory
    F.T.F.A.

Bit early for me.

Master
    There's quite a few folk seem to like the peaty drams here, I tried one about 20yrs ago when I first started drinking Whiskey, it was on a tour around the Scottish Highlands on my Motorcycle, I think it was Bowmore if memory serves me correct, but I didn't really enjoy it at the time favoring Speysides, my tastes could have changed though so might pick a bottle up as I think you need more than a couple of shots to get the taste for something sometimes, for now Highland Part is as Peaty/Smokey as I go!

I have talisker Storm on the go and also the Welsh one called Penderyn which is very nice

Talisker is lovely. The glenfiddich 18 is like nectar!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broona View Post
    A A'B My favorite.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    A A'B My favorite.
    I'm just having a search now to see if I can find it on offer anywhere but struggling so far, got my last bottle for £25 using a friend's discount, don't mind paying full price but I won't if I don't have to...

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Avoid the laphroaig select, it's a toned down version to appeal to those who find the full smokey peaty ones a bit challenging.

Brighty
    Aha!
    I recieved a bottle of this last Xmas expecting something special and was rather dissapointed.
    As someone who has finished off a fair few bottles of Laphroaig in my time i found this one to be lacking - tasted exactly as you say, toned down and missing that mighty character we buy Laphroaig for.
    You can`t beat the 10 y/o for flavour per £ - just asked Mrs Right-Force to pop into Waitrose, they have it on special for £25 at the moment..

I will be visiting the distillery again this summer during my motorbicycle tour of the Highlands.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 28th March 2016 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    You can`t beat the 10 y/o for flavour per £ - just asked Mrs Right-Force to pop into Waitrose, they have it on special for £25 at the moment.
    Quarter cask at £25 from Asda gives even more flavour per £

Anyone tried Jura Prophecy?

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 26th March 2016 at 13:21.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    There's quite a few folk seem to like the peaty drams here, I tried one about 20yrs ago when I first started drinking Whiskey, it was on a tour around the Scottish Highlands on my Motorcycle, I think it was Bowmore if memory serves me correct, but I didn't really enjoy it at the time favoring Speysides, my tastes could have changed though so might pick a bottle up as I think you need more than a couple of shots to get the taste for something sometimes, for now Highland Part is as Peaty/Smokey as I go!
    I can manage the peaty stuff, but, have to admit to being a Speyside fan as you can taste so much more of the subtlety beyond the heavy funk of a Peaty offering...

bunnahabhain Being my favourite single malt (which is a less peaty islay)... All my bottles are gone now as I'd stocked up a couple of years ago when Tescos cleared their shelves of them at half price - picked up four bottles - I don't see it supermarkets anymore...
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th March 2016 at 21:51.

Craftsman
    You can't beat a good single malt. Had a glass of Talisker earlier, and I'm now on the Dalwhinnie.

Thoughts on Haig Club?
    Reviews online suggest it's a bit marmite. I really like it. It's light and sweet.

Craftsman
    Smokehead no longer being distributed apparently!

Blog Entries
    Off topic pershaps, but worth mentioning, I think: Whisky (malts) have become the new favorite investment toy for (mostly) Asian 'collectors'. My wife met a lady today who's husband sells liquor and spirits to hotels, bars etc. She told my wife that malts are very popular in the east. Whisky can be stored for years, doesn't go 'off' and artifically made whisky is something... well... not done. On top of that, it looks as if there are less skilled laborers mastering the art of whisky making! Investors hope that prices will go up.

Something to consider when you buy a bottle?

Menno