closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friends with fake watches

Friends with fake watches

So I have a few good mates that do like watches, when we meet up the conversation does normally turn to a watch one of us is wearing.

Thing is I like my homages and pilot watches which they do tend to admire but they still wear snide Rolex's or Omega's, now I normally just humour them and think well thats up to them if they are happy wearing fake but a conversation turned a bit awkward when a mate was saying how close and real his Rolex was to the real thing..

So I said don't you feel like you're trying to impress people with a look of money when in fact you wouldnt spend that kind of money on the real thing, I also said I would feel like a loss of self respect if I wore a fake as it would make me feel fake, needless to say it was a bit embarrassing and awkward but someone had to say it I suppose..

Would you tell a mate the same thing?

Master
    I wouldn't be that polite.

I wouldn't say it in so many words, I would just take the piss a bit and rib them mercilessly.

Master
    Well, that is very difficult..as you plainly grasp. Because it could be seen as insulting a friend. But I think that what you said is true....wearing a fake is demeaning and crude. It's not about money...friendship isn't based on money....but it is about self-respect. Wearing a fake is just a form of deception towards other people. You are trying to fool them..
    That may seem harsh, but it's what I suspect most watch people think. Whether they are prepared to say it is another matter.
    A tough question.

Craftsman
    I think it partly depends on their reasons for wearing fakes. If it is to project a misleading image of themselves and to deceive, then I would call them out on it. My cousin and her husband collect watches, jewellery and porcelain at a high level. However, they have a few very convincing fake watches that they wear for fun and are quite open about it. When the topic comes up, it's usually a discussion on just how good the fakes are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I'd just say "oh well, if you wish" or "no, it's not something I'd do". But I would not criticise my friends beyond that.

Journeyman
    I'm just blunt, I don't feel the need to spare feelings of pretenders. A guy used to wear a fake Rolex, where I used to work. He was always trying to look like he had money, but he didn't. Everyone knew his watch was fake, but he would say it was real (it was an obvious fake). So I just told him; that's a fake Rolex and if you paid money for it then you got ripped off. I pointed out the bracelet, clasp, magnifyer, bezel, font, non smooth seconds hànds etc... he kept insisting it was real. Some people are faker than a fake watch.

Fake watch , fake person . I would be straight with them .

Master
    One of my colleagues has a mix of real and fake watches. He's got a £9k rose gold IWC, but then a fake-as-hell Patek Nautilus which he wears every day! I've just left it be - no good can come of pointing it out. He must know.

Banned
    No, I would tell them that they did the right thing, by saving their money for something important like retirement, en education, travel with their family, or I would simply shut up.

The last thing I would do is rub in the fact that I may be better off financially than they are and the price of a real luxury watch is no big deal to me. I am not that shallow or stupid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    No, I would tell them that they did the right thing, by saving their money for something important like retirement, en education, travel with their family, or I would simply shut up.

The last thing I would do is rub in the fact that I may be better off financially than they are and the price of a real luxury watch is no big deal to me. I am not that shallow or stupid.
    I think the same. Maybe they really love the look of the watch and know they could never afford a real one. I'm cool with it unless they try to pretend it's real to get the ladies in bed!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    That's the funny thing though, all my watches are in the 3 figures as i'm not a big spender (yet) so I'm not rubbing it in about financial wealth, I know one of my friends has a couple of fake Rollie's that combined price could have bought a decent £200 Rolex homage with a quality movement.

If he feels fine about fooling himself it no worth a friendship by telling him he's wrong als long as he does't pretend it's a real one.
    If someone asks me if the sub i wear is a real one i Always tell them its a real one bought in Turkey!

I'd tell any mate to stop being a to**er and get a real one. I know that my true friends wouldn't expect any less.
    If it were an acquaintance then I probably wouldn't say anything.

I wouldn't judge a friend on the watch they chose to wear. And because I wouldn't judge them, I wouldn't insult them either.
    Having said that... if they were being a knob about it, I'd tell them they were being a knob. They'd expect nothing less.

So I said don't you feel like you're trying to impress people with a look of money when in fact you wouldnt spend that kind of money on the real thing,
    At a high risk of upsetting the apple cart and in no way any disrespect to the OP...

...couldn't this statement be said about a homage watch? (Unless of course it was a homage to a watch no longer made, in which case unobtainable even with money)

Happy to stand corrected if this is not the case....

The simple fact is that it is wrong and should be avoided. End of story.
    But in addition

If a fake costs £50 it is usually a £20 quality watch that costs £50 because it has been made to look fake.
    And if it is a "good" one that costs £500 then it is most likely a £200 watch.
    The fakes are created to make just as much (if not more) profit margin than the real ones.
    This is the simple truth, and it actually makes the fake wearer less "sensible" than the man who pays the premium for the real thing.

Sure, the real watch wearer is paying more, but he has comeback to the seller if things go wrong, can service his watch to ensure longevity and ensure it is waterproof, and actualy has a relatively valuable asset.
    The fake wearer has none of these things.

So as well as being wrong, buying fakes actually makes no sense.

You don't have to insult anyone to point this out.

Dave

Craftsman
    I would tell them to buy a homage watch , if they woukd'nt spend the money on a real watch

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I wouldn't judge a friend on the watch they chose to wear. And because I wouldn't judge them, I wouldn't insult them either.
    Having said that... if they were being a knob about it, I'd tell them they were being a knob. They'd expect nothing less.
    Good reply!

Master
    This reminds me of a guy at work who dyed his hair jet black (he was in his 50s). When the sun shone his hair looked a weird purple colour. People would laugh behind his back, but no-one ever told him. Fake watch, fake hair for men, it's rarely a good idea.
    As for saving money, what's that got to do with wearing a fake? Why not just buy a good cheap watch?. I buy my coffee at the supermarket, I don't put it in a package marked 'Harrods.'
    Fake means false, and false means untrue. It's a form of lie, no matter how people try to spin it. Why would anyone want to walk around trying to deceive people?

Quote Originally Posted by smithdj10 View Post
    I think the same. Maybe they really love the look of the watch and know they could never afford a real one. I'm cool with it unless they try to pretend it's real to get the ladies in bed!!
    Oh dear;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ukal View Post
    At a high risk of upsetting the apple cart and in no way any disrespect to the OP...

...couldn't this statement be said about a homage watch? (Unless of course it was a homage to a watch no longer made, in which case unobtainable even with money)

Happy to stand corrected if this is not the case....
    I understand where you're coming from but a homage isn't blatantly ripping off the name of a quality watch..

Probably the nearest homage style watch I own to a vintage Rolex is a Kemmner 007, for me I just love the look of the Kemmner and its mechanics/build but I suppose some people could see a homage as a glorified fake but I certainly don't feel fake wearing it as it's far enough off the original.

Journeyman
    If they know it's a fake, and say it's a fake, it's not a problem.

The moment it's passed off as real, they'll get told like a man to wind their neck in! Straight. Merciless. Lol.

You can say anything to a true friend.if its just A friend you may need to be more diplomatic.

Imitation/homage - Neither are the 'Real deal'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Imitation/homage - Neither are the 'Real deal'
    But at least a homage doesn't copy the brand name to pretend it's the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    But at least a homage doesn't copy the brand name to pretend it's the real deal
    PRS-29A?

PRS-18Q?

Any modern Doxa Sub?
    Last edited by senraw; 5th April 2016 at 20:06.

Some harsh opinions above...

A young semi skilled lad working with us adores watches, has collections of books and booklets and even posters on watches but he's never going to be able to afford an Omega, Rolex, Patek etc. even though it would be his dream purchase.

He has a few replica watches and he is very proud of them and he loves comparing them to the real thing.

Only an total cock would go out to burst his bubble.

Arn't there more important things in life to talk/worry about than rubbing in your friends face that he or she is wearing a fake watch? Whatever floats their boat... If anything it would make me look like a know-it-all snobby and patronising jerk... if its a truly good friend I'd buy him/her a nice vintage or micro for Christmas...

Last year I bought a stunning and relatively inexpensive 1930s Longines at auction for one of my closest friends who was wearing a fake Cartier for ages.... In return I got a three page handwritten thank you letter that made my day.
    Last edited by silly; 5th April 2016 at 20:12.

Master
    Reminds me of a story
    A few years ago having only just moved to a new area I popped into the local, met a couple of friends of mine and some of theirs. A good night was being had by all.
    Then this flashy type walks in wearing a 10 carat diamond stud (fully dressed I might add, it wasn't just the earring!) comes over to one of my friends interrupting our conversation slamming down his Bentley car keys shaking down his wrist a 45.5 PO orange bezel.

So I ask another chap there who's this tw*t?
    Oh he's a record producer etc, etc.

Anyway my mate says to mr A&R, " show my mate your watch, he's into watches"
    He does, I blurt out (had a few by this point) " nice fake"
    Mr A&R goes off on one, ranting about its real, his wealth, the Bentley etc etc.
    Turns out I was right, his earring was 10 carats of cubic, the Bentley an 80's knacker, the watch fake.
    Oh and the only records he ever produced were receipts for CD sales in the music shop he worked in

Never did see him again, fake stuff, fake person, simple

- - - Updated - - -

PRS-29A?

PRS-18Q?

Any modern Doxa Sub?
    Don't know those watches so don't get your point

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    It's no big deal. It's just a watch, fake or not!
    It is if your one of the kids in the sweat shops knocking out snides for pittance..

Master
    So fakes are acceptable now on this forum?

Craftsman
    An ex colleague had a fake Datejust and a fake Cartier she used to wear. I never mentioned it at all.

It is if your one of the kids in the sweat shops knocking out snides for pittance..
    Suicide nets in i-phone factories.....not really a lot of difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

A young semi skilled lad working with us adores watches, has collections of books and booklets and even posters on watches but he's never going to be able to afford an Omega, Rolex, Patek etc. even though it would be his dream purchase.

He has a few replica watches and he is very proud of them and he loves comparing them to the real thing.

So why 'waste' his money on posters of the real, a few copies of the real, the collections of books etc, he could have saved up a bought 1 real piece?

But, I agree I wouldn't burst his bubble, that's just mean

Totally agree on this, as he grows into the hobby I'm sure he will understand the failings of a fake but you wouldn't want to cut him short by dissing him for a fake + he has birds to pull my mates are 40 somethings so should know better!

Father in law has a fake DLC Milgauss.

His daughter's genuine though so I'll leave him be.

Thats putting words in peoples mouths.

The post is discussing something along the lines of would you / should you point out if someone is wearing a fake. No one is advocating fakes from what I read above.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Suicide nets in i-phone factories.....not really a lot of difference.
    Got me on that one... I'll have to Google these suicide nets, I mean WTF

Reminds me of a story
    A few years ago having only just moved to a new area I popped into the local, met a couple of friends of mine and some of theirs. A good night was being had by all.
    Then this flashy type walks in wearing a 10 carat diamond stud (fully dressed I might add, it wasn't just the earring!) comes over to one of my friends interrupting our conversation slamming down his Bentley car keys shaking down his wrist a 45.5 PO orange bezel.

So I ask another chap there who's this tw*t?
    Oh he's a record producer etc, etc.

Anyway my mate says to mr A&R, " show my mate your watch, he's into watches"
    He does, I blurt out (had a few by this point) " nice fake"
    Mr A&R goes off on one, ranting about its real, his wealth, the Bentley etc etc.
    Turns out I was right, his earring was 10 carats of cubic, the Bentley an 80's knacker, the watch fake.
    Oh and the only records he ever produced were receipts for CD sales in the music shop he worked in

Never did see him again, fake stuff, fake person, simple

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know those watches so don't get your point

Were you wearing this at the time? -

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...g-on-for-size)

Couple of guys I know have bought a few fake Rolex to try them out, they never hide the fact they are snide, in fact spend a lot of time telling people they are fake, I don't care personally as its a bit of fun. One them has a real sub he hardly wears except on high days and holidays.
    We always spend a fair bit of time talking watches and checking out my ever changing daily wearers.

Craftsman

why will he NEVER be able to afford a an Omega ?

Master
    Thats putting words in peoples mouths.
    Am I?
    As to the topic under discussion, yes if the wearer is either passing off as real, or being a D!CK.
    A very good mate of mine wears a 80's 90's Tag, his current situation there's no way he'd buy a watch at that price, but in his previous 'bad-lad' days he was an earner, so it's either fake or 20-30 years old. I'm not sure so say nothing.

Funny though it works the other way round too.
    I'm known for my expensive watches (not in this environment, but out there) so when for an experiment I was given a fake PP to wear, people asked looked, I never said fake/ real or otherwise, people just assumed it was real.

Had the same thought as Mr Demon, in fact since credit is so readily available these days.....

Master
    Were you wearing this at the time? -

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...g-on-for-size)
    Ha, ha, it's a great watch, Panerai homage, but not in any style of any Panerai. Even the locking hinge is upside down compared to a real one.

Not sure what I was wearing at the time exactly, but back then I had 4 watches, so it would have been either an EXP-II, Submariner-Date, Yachtmaster or Daytona

Master

Doesn't matter fakes are just a bit of fun

How and to who?
    The poor sweatshop kids who make them?
    The criminals who distribute them?
    The low lifes that sell them?
    The odd sucker who's fooled into buying thinking it's real?
    The TO55ERS who try to pass them off as real?

Where's the fun in any of that?

Ask them if their Mrs big "O's" are fake! ;-)

Such a divisive topic
    Will stay away from commenting:-)

Grand Master
    Yeah, there's a lot I could say but won't. It's easy to be judgmental when you can afford the real McCoy.

I think the OP was somewhat harsh; unless hi friend has the money to buy the real thing but chooses not to I think he could've been very offended.

Paul

Spotted a Bamford Rolex on the wrist of a local QC who I know well enough to be at dinner with.
    He gave me a blank look - I was going to explain thinking it may be a gift from a wealthy client.

Oh this is one of the 10 fakes I bought on my last Hong Kong trip. ( I had previously noticed a Montblanc)
    I find several things troubled me - he's a QC so I guess he won't be bothered litigating any copyright cases. Also 10 fakes in one go - he could surely have something genuine and interesting for that money .