closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any homebrew beer/lager makers on here?

Hybrid View

Any homebrew beer/lager makers on here?

I fancy a go at making my own beer/lager 🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺

Can anyone recommend a good starter kit and offer any tips please?

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I fancy a go at making my own beer/lager 

Can anyone recommend a good starter kit and offer any tips please?

Thanks,

Alex
    I've been thinking of doing this for a while now so would also be interested to hear some recommendations.

I know 'The Range' sells some basic kits but have no idea if they are any good at all.

Master
    A friend and I have done a bit of this, recently graduated to full mash (using malted grain, hops & water). Great fun!

We've used this stuff with success in the past:

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/woodfordes-...QAPRoCefXw_wcB

Generally, if you can find a kit that is associated with a specific finished beer rather than generic, those are usually better. Also any that use dried hops as a separate additive will give better flavour. Also separate finings are good.

We've bottled and used king kegs- the former are better in terms of longevity, but a pain at filling (you'll need a capper) and especially washing; the latter is alot easier, but the beer won't last as long, and you will need to gas it with CO2 at some point.

Big tip is go heavy on the cleanliness- use proper brewers sterisliser and wash everything thoroughly!

There are some good fora around- try Jim's Beer Kit as as start.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php

Great hobby, very enjoyable!

I was bought Woodfordes wherry real ale kit for Christmas 2014. Have only just got round to doing it and had my first bottle Easter Sunday. Absolutely lovely. Depending on how you do it depends on the type and strength. I went for the full 40 pints.

http://www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brew...g/invt/0207610

Master
    I've always used 'Art of Brewing' & can highly recommend them ...

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/vi...anyId=16820608

They're enthusiasts & supply everything needed for home brewing including very good quality own brand kits.

Came on here to suggest Wherry, already been done twice :)

Its very easy to do. I haven't Brewed in ages but got into all grain brewing small batches, loved it.

The best thing to do is see if there's a local home brew shop near you. They're a dying breed but they are out there. This place was a 5min walk from me until I moved, really good: http://www.thebrewmart.com

I used to bottle it as I had a mate who worked in a pub save me all the brown magners bottles. Never really took to Kegs, but other folks swear by them.

In terms of equipment, not much really. Something to brew in and something to store in. Some optional stuff you will want to add as you go along. Do it, it's good fun :)

Master
    I haven't done any beer for many years, and these days stick to wine from kits. I agree with everything Mickylall says... avoid lager, I tried many and not one of them was anything like acceptable. My 'lager taste' runs to Becks and Stella so you can see why I was disappointed. Avoid cheap one-can beer kits from Wilkos... they all tend to taste like Double Diamond. Spend a little more and get a good bitter. Young's is a well recommended brand and you won't go far wrong with them.

Rob

^^

Thanks lads.

What stuff do I need to buy to get going?

Blog Entries
    Yup, I've been doing it a couple of years now, it's that good I haven't bought any beer from the shop in the time I've been making my own. Forget lager, I've tried pretty much all of them and they don't taste like any lager I've ever drunk. If you want to do kits ( very easy, just boil some water and chuck in the malt, leave it 2 weeks and bottle it) stay away from the cheap 1-can-kits and start with the good stuff or else it will put you off.
    My favourites are the Young's and Festival ranges, I prefer lighter beer as I drunk lager for years so stick to golden ales and IPAs. Try and find a local homebrew shop rather than Wilkos or the Range as the quality in beer is unbelievable
    Give it a go, costs peanuts to set up and the beer is fantastic, far better than I was expecting and for 50p a pint it doesn't cost a lot to get steamers