closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the hunt for a new watch more exciting then the actual ownership?

Talking Is the hunt for a new watch more exciting then the actual ownership?

If there was such an organisation as "Horologist Anonymous"

I would have to be a member. :)

When I look for a new piece, I research it in-depth , soaking up as much information as I can find, and then spend hours looking for the right one.

Then when I have decided, bought it and worn it. I start the process all over again, because I need that buzz of looking for my next incoming..............HELP!

I guess that I am not alone, as there are many members on here who are "Serial Flippers" LOL

Like most things I find the research hunt is the exciting part, the acquisition is often for me a bit of a let down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    It depends on the watch.

Master
    Yes the chase can be exciting and if done thoroughly the end result should be satisfying. Serial watch flippers may well regard the chase as being more important than the final result - a bit like a drug. But as I'm not a flipper I could be wrong...

Craftsman
    I have definately experienced this! Its all about the marketing images and me being too stupid or unable, to try one on first.

Craftsman
    I found this true with a recent purchase! The search and reading/watching reviews was exciting while the watch itself was far from what I expected.. I guess it depends on the watch at the end of the day

It's definitely as exciting. Love researching an imminent purchase.

I'm so picky that the search to identify my next watch is long long long. And then I have to work out how to afford it, how to fit it into my collection, and then there's the business of acquiring one.

After all this, ownership comes like the clouds parting and the sun blazing out.

Craftsman
    Surely your recent Sea-Dweller has ended the search!?

Yes. By far!

Every time I buy a watch I think "well...that's that...now what?' and it goes in the drawer and I put on my Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Yes the chase can be exciting and if done thoroughly the end result should be satisfying. Serial watch flippers may well regard the chase as being more important than the final result - a bit like a drug. But as I'm not a flipper I could be wrong...
    Yes, very much like getting your "fix"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm so picky that the search to identify my next watch is long long long. And then I have to work out how to afford it, how to fit it into my collection, and then there's the business of acquiring one.

After all this, ownership comes like the clouds parting and the sun blazing out.
    That is how it should be :)

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Surely your recent Sea-Dweller has ended the search!?
    So did I ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Yes. By far!

Every time I buy a watch I think "well...that's that...now what?' and it goes in the drawer and I put on my Citizen.
    We are so crazy LOL

Master
    Its worse when you repeat this 2, 3 times ON THE SAME WATCH...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ain't that the truth!

Done that on several different watches and brands

The search is certainly a big part of the experience. I put down a deposit on a watch from Baselworld and won't get it until July or August. I won't be buying another watch this year so the hunt is over for the time being and that does make the watch world a bit less interesting for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am intrigued!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    If your research is that thorough it might mean you are bored with it by the time you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

When I look for a new piece, I research it in-depth , soaking up as much information as I can find, and then spend hours looking for the right one.

Then when I have decided, bought it and worn it. I start the process all over again, because I need that buzz of looking for my next incoming..............HELP!

I guess that I am not alone, as there are many members on here who are "Serial Flippers" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    If your research is that thorough it might mean you are bored with it by the time you get it.
    I'm not so sure.

More like I need to find something better to do with my life!!

Apprentice
    For me most times that's the case but not always, I am recently happily wearing a wyler vetta chronograph right now which I stumbled on by chance that I enjoy looking at A LOT

Inviato dal mio H60-L12 utilizzando Tapatalk

I think I fall into this category. I am not a collector, rather I have two watches at any one time. One is a 'beater' and the other a 'best'. I've been considering a new 'best' for some time so, following extensive (and I do mean extensive) research, in December I spent the most amount of money to date on a brand new Nomos Club 701.

The intention was that this would be 'the one' and initially I was more than satisfied with it and I felt no need to consider any other watch.

Fast forward 3 months and the honeymoon period is over and whilst I still absolutely love the 701, I'm all but convinced I'll be getting either a 116000 Blue Dial, a 116234 Datejust or a late 114270 Explorer 1 when the right one comes along.

Blog Entries
    How does it go, 'Searching for a watch is like searching for a beautiful woman, as soon as you catch one you start your search for another'. (a nod to the Fast Show, BBC').

The only solution in these days is to stop looking at the forums!

M

Yes, I think that it may well be

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can totally relate to this! In fact my wife guesses when im even starting to think of a change when i spend even more time on my phone doing 'watch' research, she knows where it ends up : )

Craftsman

Your definately not alone, especially when you get a great deal-that being said im no Tom Bolt.

Totally, usually an anticlimax when I finally get my hands on the object of desire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Totally, usually an anticlimax when I finally get my hands on the object of desire
    Are we talking watches or women now?

More exciting? Yes, but get it right and it's like a successful marriage, maturing and satisfying in new, fresh ways for many years! [Of course, bigamy/trigamy/etc can be pretty good too!].

Quite simply, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Are we talking watches or women now?
    Both, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    How does it go, 'Searching for a watch is like searching for a beautiful woman, as soon as you catch one you start your search for another'. (a nod to the Fast Show, BBC').

The only solution in these days is to stop looking at the forums!

M
    My partner would love to do that

Sometimes it has turned out that way!!

Master
    Unfortunately we want to want more than we want to have. I watch my 5 year old son yearn for the next toy so much he's in obvious anguish and when he finally gets it the euphoria is followed within a matter of days, sometimes even just hours, by it joining the rest of the previous targets in the corner. Most adults can spot this behaviour in our children and try and tell them they should be grateful with what they've got, then when they get a bit older and still haven't learnt the lesson they then see Dad doing exactly what he told them not to do. We are a delusional species bordering on complete blindness and you've just hit upon one of our most blind traits... wanting.

Apprentice

it depends on the type of search and the results

searching and buying a new watch, is more of a "search for a price" thing.

but searching for a special / hard to get / vintage watch is a fun process. buying at a good value makes it even better,

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Unfortunately we want to want more than we want to have. I watch my 5 year old son yearn for the next toy so much he's in obvious anguish and when he finally gets it the euphoria is followed within a matter of days, sometimes even just hours, by it joining the rest of the previous targets in the corner. Most adults can spot this behaviour in our children and try and tell them they should be grateful with what they've got, then when they get a bit older and still haven't learnt the lesson they then see Dad doing exactly what he told them not to do. We are a delusional species bordering on complete blindness and you've just hit upon one of our most blind traits... wanting.
    Oh how very true and very put!

Where were you when I was growing up ;)

Master
    Oh how very true and very put!

Where were you when I was growing up ;)
    Nah. I can't even follow my own advice. At the moment I really want another watch that I really don't need. And the watches I want keep getting more expensive.

Master
    Great thread. I was just thinking "when is enough, enough".

I'm not sure how many here are familiar with the n+1 concept of bicycle ownership as defined in "The Rules"? I rather feel there are some synergies with the WIS addiction...

"Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I love the hunt. Sometimes I'm looking for something very particular (my quest for the "right" Panerai and Rolex continues), other times I have an idea of what I want but am flexible around what I find (recent vintage Supercompressor purchase refers). Occasionally I see something and just think, I love that, I have no reason to buy it but fuck it, I could be dead tomorrow (evidenced by last nights purchase of the PRS50LE in SC).

It is what it is. Don't fight it.

Had a new watch arrive from SC in the week.

I have wanted this make/model for a long time and done a lot of research but really couldn't justify it at the moment but the pull was just too strong, I justified it by telling myself something would have to go so the deal was done.

Waiting for the postman is always exciting when you know a watch is imminent, when it does arrive opening the box is a special moment with lots of thoughts going through my head, what is it like in the metal, is the condition as described etc
    Well this SC purchase turned out better than the research as it looks so much better on the wrist than in pictures and the condition is as described which was new.

Now what was I saying about moving something on the make this purchase!!

I am so pleased that I'm not alone

Well, its Saturday morning and Im sitting here waiting for the postman to arrive, Ive checked the RM tracking site and see that its out for delivery.

The excitement mounts

That'll be the 3rd one of these

The second I actually bought back from sellers twice before moving it on again

This really is a form of madness
    Last edited by Velorum; 9th April 2016 at 08:51.

I'm jealous

Master
    I am so pleased that I'm not alone
    +1000!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Well, its Saturday morning and Im sitting here waiting for the postman to arrive, Ive checked the RM tracking site and see that its out for delivery.

The excitement mounts

That'll be the 3rd one of these

The second I actually bought back from sellers twice before moving it on again

This really is a form of madness
    We are *special*

OP, you are exactly right. Much like the hands of a watch that go round and round, so do we with this ridiculous endless wanting. So many times I've read that someone has acquired their grail, they love it, will never sell it, it's going to be passed on etc, only for it to end up for sale later on.

The one thing that I dislike (and they are usually Patek owners) are the grail achievers who cannot or will not accept any alternate viewpoint of their watches. These guys usually write a review, then dip in and out of comparison threads (say, AP vs PP) with how superior their watches are. If you have the audacity to offer a different viewpoint they get arsey and aggressive. You then usually find their perfect watch ends up for sale six months later...

I think the chase is part of our caveman instinct. In some way we have to hunt. We're always hunting a watch and certainly always hunting a bargain and being part of the forum is being part of a tribe.

Yes.

Ownership is always an anti - climax.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    The thrill of the chase. I consider it an achievement when I manage to go a month without buying a watch. I just about managed it last month :-)

Just realised that for me the hunt is the other way. I think I'm not interested in a watch but it creeps up me. And then when it pounces.....

It's like you have described my watch obsession op, glad i'm not alone. Sign me up to Horologist Anonymous as soon as it's up and running. Happy to be a founding member!

I can now relax knowing that I am not alone LOL

I am currently researching 3 watches, but don't really expect anything to come from it......................................But then again!

It is not that the hunt is more enjoyable but the fact that the itch doesn't go away even after you get your latest watch.

The thrill of the hunt is the funny side of the story. The ownership is nice, but it's the point where the thrill has gone, so it's the time to start another hunt. Am I sick? Yes, happy sick.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes.
    Ownership is always an anti - climax.
    I was going to agree with this, but then remembered, I've got the next stage of addiction to 'serial flipper' which is 'serial buyer who can't face parting with any of them'. So it can't be that much of an anticlimax, can it?

Of course, like all addicts at this stage, I'm always considering chopping in the lot for that 'special one' or 'grail' or whatever other fantasy of owning only one watch is currently. But it never happens or will ever happen. It's like the Great Rationalisation of knowing that we can always get most of our money back by reselling the collection we can't really bear the idea of losing even one from……..

Far and away the worst part of the obsession is getting the idea of the next desirable beast and starting the research when suddenly, as if by magic, something really lovely and usually beautifully photographed and completely different from the desirable beast turns up on SC. Which adds another hole to the pocket and watch to the collection without diminishing the desire for the one being researched.

GRRRR!

Ps: Anyone got a half decent display box for sale?? My latest one's nearly full.