closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the hunt for a new watch more exciting then the actual ownership?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes.

Ownership is always an anti - climax.
    Possibly. I have a Sinn GMT (sorry, UTC!) which cost a fortune and left me priapic after poring over photos and reading gushing internet reviews. I still have the watch, but never wear it, and will soon sell it.

On the other hand, I also chased a Glycine Airman around a couple of years ago, spend weeks debating which colour and hand configuration to buy, and it's the watch I wear whilst travelling, not the Sinn.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Yep always has been for me.

⛵️

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    How does it go, 'Searching for a watch is like searching for a beautiful woman, as soon as you catch one you start your search for another'. (a nod to the Fast Show, BBC').
    ...and since flipping lovers is frowned upon, watches are a substitute.
    Women have much the same with say shoes.

Francoise Simpere builds a good case for the phenomena.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    If there was such an organisation as "Horologist Anonymous"

I would have to be a member. :)

When I look for a new piece, I research it in-depth , soaking up as much information as I can find, and then spend hours looking for the right one.

Then when I have decided, bought it and worn it. I start the process all over again, because I need that buzz of looking for my next incoming..............HELP!

I guess that I am not alone, as there are many members on here who are "Serial Flippers" LOL
    Serial flippers and serial looser's of cash!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes.

Ownership is always an anti - climax.
    You hit the nail on the head.

For me personally , the hunt is always more exciting .

hunt and honeymoon, than all down hill and finally sales section lol

I've never really had an expensive watch but having turned 40 this year I thought I would treat myself to something nice. I've quite enjoyed looking into all the different models and the variations of these as well. It's quite a learning experience.

Still very much learning the basics but that is what has led me here as well. I always like to spend a long time doing research on a big purchase so hopefully the end result will be worth it.

Grand Master
    Aside from a few which I've wanted a while and are now keepers, I'm a real impulse buyer, and out of my current collection of 20 or so, maybe 13 or 14 will get flipped at some point. I'm now trying to stick to at least one out before I buy though.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I think if you look at the number of watches bought on SC that are then relisted within a month (or even a week or two) of purchase, that would suggest that once the watch has arrived the new owner has already moved on to the next purchase.

I have always suffered from 'the hunt is better than actual ownership' syndrome and not just in watches, but in other areas of collecting over the years.

Yes, but I still enjoy the ownership.

Same applies to many things in life including women.

However enjoyable the hunt might be, if you are not able to enjoy the ownership- then you do have a problem.
    In that case, it is an addiction and one will never be satisfied. I would recommend stepping away from the hobby for a while.

Grand Master
    This could apply to most things we want in life,but yes I think the hunt goes a long way to the overall quest for that thing you want.

Sadly once you/we have it,well we have it don't we,and so the hunt starts all over again!.Some might get a buzz out of posting a watch for sale and someone else liking and buying their watch too.

Were all addicted.....but it's harmless fun,I think.

[QUOTE=Speedie;3934249]

I second that :(

Apprentice
    Definitely, purchased a couple over recent years then thought hmm, time for it to go. Go back to wearing my tag.

I have had the money put aside for a couple of years and I can't make my mind up if I should buy new or secoundhand and I think the main reason is I like the hunt and think the exact rolex I want will just turn up on the secoundhand market

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You hit the nail on the head.
    Can you remember how many watches you have had? I will be honest I can't remember, all I know is that I have lost a fortune but if I had kept them and sold then now I would have made a fortune.

Hi!
    I'm new here and is constantly hunting for new watches. I like to buy watches but I think the hunt is a bit annoying...

Journeyman
    I have been researching for a whole year. Its got to a stage where I have mentally exhausted myself and scared to buy anything (as I will have some sort of regret). "The Opportunity Cost" kills me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    However enjoyable the hunt might be, if you are not able to enjoy the ownership- then you do have a problem.
    In that case, it is an addiction and one will never be satisfied. I would recommend stepping away from the hobby for a while.
    Yes we, as a society, indeed have a problem.
    Stepping away simply moves the symptom.
    It is a symptom, not the problem.
    The underlying drive is a need which begs satisfying.
    It is the motor for consumerism.
    We are programmed with behavioral/social norms that are designed to create frustration while at the same time we are soaked in marketing of products which promise satisfaction, feelgood, because we are worth it. Products with designed in obsolescence with the marketing providing the promise of the next fulfillment.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Yes, but I still enjoy the ownership.

Same applies to many things in life including women.
    A cool aspect of women is that you don't own them.
    I find it entirely satisfying when one freely chooses to share quality time with you because of YOU.
    That is infinite even when/if the actual relationship is not.

Usually I don't start to hunt for a specific watch, rather see something interesting and/or something which seems like a good deal. Then I start to collect Information. If I have enough time I learn a lot about the model. Mostly These are vintage timepieces. When I have enough Information I can decide if the actual piece is worth the attention. Even if not, I never regret the time spent on learning. I just love the history of watch making in general. When I see the same model coming up next time I already know what to look for. However it is annoying when I see a potentially good deal and having only a few minutes to make decision and have to make my research in rush.
    So it's not exactly a hunt for a desired watch but a journey through watch making history and I value these researches high.

A spontaneous purchase is also fun, I was driving along and had a ping from my phone yesterday. I pulled over in a safe manner and noticed a auction had started through Chrono 24 / Auctionata. Well I watched for a while and as the phone slipped out of my hand I had managed to bid on this, a LIP Chronograph Roger Tallon ‘Mach 2000’, c. 2005

My only saving grace is that it is on conditional knockdown (reserve not meet) but if the owner agrees to my bid its mine

Moral of the story always watch auctions on your computer and not in a layby on your phone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    A spontaneous purchase is also fun, I was driving along and had a ping from my phone yesterday. I pulled over in a safe manner and noticed a auction had started through Chrono 24 / Auctionata. Well I watched for a while and as the phone slipped out of my hand I had managed to bid on this, a LIP Chronograph Roger Tallon ‘Mach 2000’, c. 2005

My only saving grace is that it is on conditional knockdown (reserve not meet) but if the owner agrees to my bid its mine

Moral of the story always watch auctions on your computer and not in a layby on your phone
    Haha I guess congrats then?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    A cool aspect of women is that you don't own them.
    I find it entirely satisfying when one freely chooses to share quality time with you because of YOU.
    That is infinite even when/if the actual relationship is not.
    I wasn't suggesting we own women, although in some backward cultures (see Islam) you do, I meant the hunt was better than the catch quite often with both watches and other things in life, women, cars, houses tec.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find acquiring a watch a very mixed-bag - the hunt is where the thrills are and securing what you want comes with its own buzz, taking delivery is often (but not always) a bit of an anti-climax, as are the first few days of ownership.

But then one day you'll be wearing a watch you thought you felt somewhat indifferent about and you'll catch a glimpse of yourself wearing it in a window or mirror, sitting there proudly on your wrist and looking like a million dollars.

That sudden realisation why you took the time to hunt it down in the first place is the best bit about a new acquisition for me. Doesn't always come around quickly though...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I wasn't suggesting we own women, although in some backward cultures (see Islam) you do
    and then you go to make it way worse still.
    I was not inferring that you meant owning women. My apologies if I gave that impression. I was trying to refer to the restrictions of marriage in OUR culture.

You don't have to piss on Islam* to look for a backward example; over here in Spain t least one woman is killed by her perceived owner weekly and that is only the VERY small tip of the nauseating ice berg.
    This against the perspective of on average 2.5 strays/year per married individual, both men and women.
    Oh and 1 in every 3 women experiences an unwanted pregnancy mainly because the church frowns upon the use of contraceptives.

* the 13 centuries old rules in the Koran provide WAY more security to women than the dark side of Roman Catholic based culture.

Ok, enough of that, but do take a moment to think about the inherent frustration programmed into the sexclusive monogamy heralded in our culture contrasted with the seduction by marketing by the blatant heralding of sex.
    The intended resulting frustration is an important driving force behind consumerism.

This why the hunt versus owning is such an obvious one as is the comparison between watches and women.

My point, in the wake of Francoise Simpere, is that more satisfying relational freedom as western cultural value would see less luxury products sold:
    Imo you don't need to feel good about your watch reflected in a shop window with a smiling free woman choosing to be on your arm.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 13th April 2016 at 13:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I find acquiring a watch a very mixed-bag - the hunt is where the thrills are and securing what you want comes with its own buzz, taking delivery is often (but not always) a bit of an anti-climax, as are the first few days of ownership.

But then one day you'll be wearing a watch you thought you felt somewhat indifferent about and you'll catch a glimpse of yourself wearing it in a window or mirror, sitting there proudly on your wrist and looking like a million dollars.

That sudden realisation why you took the time to hunt it down in the first place is the best bit about a new acquisition for me. Doesn't always come around quickly though...
    Haha definitely agree with you on this. Though there is definitely some joy in the hunt, especially when you find a bargain or two.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Yes, I think that it may well be
    Especially with modern watches I've found, do the research, talk to some silly girl in a shop and walk out with something largely devoid of character.

With vintage you have to hunt even longer, spend less money; you could buy a wreck, spend some time doing it up or send it to awatchmaker and then bask in the magnificence of its restoration, feeling good in yourself for preserving a piece of history that's got a story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    and then you go to make it way worse still.
    I was not inferring that you meant owning women. My apologies if I gave that impression. I was trying to refer to the restrictions of marriage in OUR culture.

You don't have to piss on Islam* to look for a backward example; over here in Spain t least one woman is killed by her perceived owner weekly and that is only the VERY small tip of the nauseating ice berg.
    This against the perspective of on average 2.5 strays/year per married individual, both men and women.
    Oh and 1 in every 3 women experiences an unwanted pregnancy mainly because the church frowns upon the use of contraceptives.

* the 13 centuries old rules in the Koran provide WAY more security to women than the dark side of Roman Catholic based culture.

Ok, enough of that, but do take a moment to think about the inherent frustration programmed into the sexclusive monogamy heralded in our culture contrasted with the seduction by marketing by the blatant heralding of sex.
    The intended resulting frustration is an important driving force behind consumerism.

This why the hunt versus owning is such an obvious one as is the comparison between watches and women.

My point, in the wake of Francoise Simpere, is that more satisfying relational freedom as western cultural value would see less luxury products sold:
    Imo you don't need to feel good about your watch reflected in a shop window with a smiling free woman choosing to be on your arm.
    So are you trying to tell me that Modern day Catholicism in Spain is worse than Sharia law if you are a Woman ?

Grand Master
    Definitely!

Several years ago I spent much time and effort tracking down a bimetal (rose gold/ steel) Omega Aqua Terra mid size. Eventually I sourced one from a guy on this forum, the watch was fine, I was pleased with it...............but somehow it never met my expectations. Much as I like bimetal watches I don't think rose gold works well with steel; I sold the watch after approx 12 months and I've never really missed it.

Sometimes the opposite applies; I've acquired watches to restore and sell on, then decided I like them too much to let go. My bimetal Omega Constellation springs to mind, it's one I, be very reluctant to part with.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    When I look for a new piece, I research it in-depth , soaking up as much information as I can find, and then spend hours looking for the right one.
    Stop at this point. The thrill is in the chase.

Blog Entries
    One word answer. YES

Craftsman
    I definitely love the hunt and research on the next watch,I get obsessed till I have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Sometimes the opposite applies; I've acquired watches to restore and sell on, then decided I like them too much to let go. My bimetal Omega Constellation springs to mind, it's one I, be very reluctant to part with.

Paul
    I've found the exact same thing with my Nomos Tangente Gangreserve.