closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Updated Rolex boxes and packaging

Hybrid View

Updated Rolex boxes and packaging

I don't know when Rolex did it, but they appear to have updated their boxes and packaging.
    Generally everything is a little smaller.

New box to the left

A pale cream replaces the pale green, and the Rolex logo is now indented into the card, as opposed to the green transfer.

The cream (new) v green (old) continues

The stored documents are now much more easily accessible via a flip down panel.

Blog Entries
    They're still embarrassingly poor in comparison to the competition. For the amount of dough one spends on a watch you'd think they could provide a decent box. That said you don't wear a box....

Master
    They still do the boxes in different sizes, so you aren't comparing apples with apples.

The former, pale green boxes came in three sizes: Samoa, Moorea and Lagoon (it doesn't take an enigma machine to decode Small, Medium and Large). Watches are delivered to ADs in a much smaller, acrylic packing box which has its numbers stickered at one end, with the name of the relevant box into which the AD should put it.

It is at this point when the system breaks down, as Elisabeth-with-an-S from Flappin' & Dead (who has passed her course in smiling nicely and advanced nail treatments) cannot remember how it works and is not sure if bigger boxes are for bigger models, or those with higher values, or precious metals.

As for the quality of the boxes, what is wrong with them? There is usually a rule we follow, that the more OTT and enormous the box, the poorer the quality of the watch and the less value it will retain in the long run. We see a few - here is one week's "in-tray" :

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 12th June 2015 at 10:04.

Thanks for the information Haywood, very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    We see a few - here is one weeks "in-tray" :

Haywood
    Business must be doing well . Very interesting to see.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    They still do the boxes in different sizes, so you aren't comparing apples with apples.

The former, pale green boxes came in three sizes: Samoa, Moorea and Lagoon (it doesn't take an enigma machine to decode Small, Medium and Large). Watches are delivered to ADs in a much smaller, acrylic packing box which has its numbers stickered at one end, with the name of the relevant box into which the AD should put it.

It is at this point when the system breaks down, as Elisabeth-with-an-S from Flappin' & Dead (who has passed her course in smiling nicely and advanced nail treatments) cannot remember how it works and is not sure if bigger boxes are for bigger models, or those with higher values, or precious metals.

As for the quality of the boxes, what is wrong with them? There is usually a rule we follow, that the more OTT and enormous the box, the poorer the quality of the watch and the less value it will retain in the long run. We see a few - here is one week's "in-tray" :

Haywood
    My goodness does the box train ever end? :D

Blog Entries
    As long as they keep delivering quality watches, a simple useful box is all I need.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I have to confess, I unbox the watch as fast as a kid unwrapping a Christmas present (albeit without ripping anything up!). I just want to get to the watch.
    Some time later I will have a brief look at the box before it goes into storage.
    For me, the Rolex packaging is just about right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    They're still embarrassingly poor in comparison to the competition. For the amount of dough one spends on a watch you'd think they could provide a decent box. That said you don't wear a box....
    What's wrong with it ?

They do some lavish boxes, but you need to buy the solid gold models etc... I'd rather have the money spent on the watch rather than the box, but perhaps that's just me. Ironically their older, really poorly made boxes, are the most valuable on the second hand market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    What's wrong with it ?

They do some lavish boxes, but you need to buy the solid gold models etc... I'd rather have the money spent on the watch rather than the box, but perhaps that's just me. Ironically their older, really poorly made boxes, are the most valuable on the second hand market.
    I just find it rather cheap and tacky. When I buy a watch the unboxing is the best bit, but with a Rolex I always find myself underwhelmed when I get to the box. A Glashütte Original on the other hand, no scrimping there, and I'd say the quality of the watch hasn't suffered one bit.

What's wrong with it ?

Nothing but the standard and correct box for my 18k Daytona :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Nothing but the standard and correct box for my 18k Daytona :(

Not even a bigger size box than the steel models? That's a bit cheap by Rolex if so. At least you've a great watch :)

it might be a larger box, but it looks exactly the same - without checking Is day it's the same box as my DSSD.

I've seen some older Daytona's that came in a nice wooden box though, and think they should have continued this for a watch that equals at over£25k :-(
    It's just a matter of time...

I prefer smaller boxes. They take a lot of space. Like two rooms. Small,compact and adequate is what I want. Hate wooden. Iced with hinges that come off easily.
    Rolex boxes IMO are very functional which is the only thing I want from boxes.

Blog Entries
    The new larger box

I think they could be of better quality.

I think the Rolex box accurately reflects how many watches they make a year...not how much they cost. A £6000 GO comes in a finely crafted wooden box because they don't sell many of them...a Rolex comes in exactly the quality you would expect 800,000 watches a year to come in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think the Rolex box accurately reflects how many watches they make a year...not how much they cost. A £6000 GO comes in a finely crafted wooden box because they don't sell many of them...a Rolex comes in exactly the quality you would expect 800,000 watches a year to come in.

GO Looks like a faux-leather box with felt trim and china made hinge/lock to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfGU3NlB7k

Nice enough but not that much more fancy.

GO Looks like a faux-leather box with felt trim and china made hinge/lock to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfGU3NlB7k

Nice enough but not that much more fancy.
    Then clearly different boxes are offered for different models

edit:

I've seen the wooden box with loupe with many different GO models
    Last edited by Rob; 12th June 2015 at 17:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    The new larger box

I think they could be of better quality.
    that looks like a handy box for keeping different watch parts and bits and bobs in.

Master
    So who is considered to make the best watch box in your opinion chaps?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Blancpain used to do a really nice wooden inlaid one, best I've had .

Why is it that ne Longines boxes look really nice and expensive, whereas Omega boxes look a bit low rent with the red faux leather box

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Why is it that ne Longines boxes look really nice and expensive, whereas Omega boxes look a bit low rent with the red faux leather box
    Those omega box are so crap TBH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Breguet boxes are nice. I like the dornbluth boxes.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 12th June 2015 at 23:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    "Best" is a subjective term, even with a consensus – but Vacheron Constantin Overseas is very nicely presented.
    Cuervo Y Sobrinos is one worthy of praise, since it converts to a humidor.
    Wyler, when they were around, made a superb leather covered one – the original and full size version.

Of course, the packaging should be commensurate with the cost of the item contained within – some exceed that at the lower end, other at the higher end fail miserably.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/wa...g-1004198.html
    http://ap.watchprosite.com/show-foru...iguet-box-set/ – nice enough, but hardly bowling anyone over with it's fairly safe and middle of the road offering.

Master
    I can't say I ever considered the box but when you see how much they go for on thee own its clear some do

I personally think the box is important, you are spending a LOT of money and a but of thought on presentation is the least you should expect.

Ultimately the watch is the most important thing and i agree with that but attention to the finer details should be what separates the men from the boys

If Rolex/anyone else believe that the box is a useless item that takes up space then they should put a bit if effort into making the box/packaging as useful as possible and something that adds to the buying experience

The Panerai Pear Wood boxes are lovely. All the watches had warranty issues - and the boxes sat in the loft so they might has well have come wrapped in tissue paper tbh!

Craftsman
    As nice as the various boxes are, after the initial purchase mine just sit in the loft until it's time to flip the watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasar.39 View Post
    As nice as the various boxes are, after the initial purchase mine just sit in the loft until it's time to flip the watch
    This how many of us put our fancy wood box on the sideboard or desk ? and the other advantage cuts the cost of shipping down IMO the Rolex box is just about perfect.

Master
    My watch boxes are all in the loft with the paperwork.

I do like the box my Rolex came in, when I got it in 2004, wooden lined and leatherette covered. By comparison the Omega boxes are poor.

Franck Muller do some nice boxes.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I do like a nice box... PP

simple, elegant and just the right size.

Journeyman
    The PP box is lovely. Silly question but is that a pen?

I have only purchased 1 Rolex, and that was from an AD. That watch has never been in the box.

Watch was sized, and worn. Spare links and docs in the box, box in a bag and then straight in a cupboard at home.

I realized that keeping my watches in my hidden safe was only smart if I also hid the watch boxes. Which is a bit of a PITA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    The PP box is lovely. Silly question but is that a pen?
    No, it’s the correction stylus for adjusting the moonphase and calendar.
    Last edited by PJ S; 20th April 2016 at 20:43.

Journeyman
    Thanks. A quick google said they also make pens so wasn't sure.