closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a contrast - Citizen V's JLC Customer Service...

What a contrast - Citizen V's JLC Customer Service...

Over the last month I've had to send both my mother's Quartz JLC Gold Reverso and my daily beater Citizen Promaster Carbon dive watch in for a service. Citizen were superb, acknowledged receipt straight away, always informative and friendly responding to emails enquiries straight away, offered to replace the strap free and overall left me feeling very impressed.
    JLC on the other hand by contrast refused to deal with me direct so I had to take it to my local JLC AD, all it really needs is a battery replacement, after a few weeks I got an email via the AD stating it would be £360 plus £25 for postage - this is for a Quartz battery replacement and for the 'movement to be lubricated'. As I wasn't allowed to speak to them direct to discuss why the cost was so high I emailed JLC and after a few weeks of not receiving a reply I emailed them again, still no reply then 3 weeks later they finally responded and I was told that's the price, take it or leave it basically.
    Citizen by the way sent my watch back by RMSD without asking me to pay £25 for the privilege and based on my experience were a pleasure to deal with, what a contrast to JLC, bearing in mind how expensive the JLC was compared to the few hundred pound I spent on the Citizen, coupled with the substantial cost difference in service costs you would have expected the excellent customer service to come from JLC but the opposite was true, I don't myself own a JLC watch and after this experience I don't think I ever will....
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd April 2016 at 18:42.

Master
    Try webwatchmaker (Brendan) on here next time.

I had a similar experience with Seiko for a RAF Chrono Gen2 service. I was really happy with them so recommended them to a friend of mine. He sent his Gen2 but they returned it due to parts not being available (it was missing a Chrono hand) and then offered a (I think) 40% discount on a new watch instead which he accepted.

Master
    Japanese customer service just so amazing. £360 for battery LOL

Might depend how old it is and what level of service they were proposing. People assume a quartz service is 'just a battery' but I expect they at least were going to press the crystals out to replace seals etc and may have been properly servicing the movement.

Below pic from our own Duncan (Cannop):

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I don't myself own a JLC watch and after this experience I don't think I ever will....
    But, but, all this garbage is part and parcel of having a "holy watch". Apparently it "happens from time to time" and it is all part of the "pleasure" of owning a fine timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Might depend how old it is and what level of service they were proposing. People assume a quartz service is 'just a battery' but I expect they at least were going to press the crystals out to replace seals etc and may have been properly servicing the movement.

Below pic from our own Duncan (Cannop):

The cost really wasn't the big issue for me, I do think it's excessive for a Quartz watch but I know that's what happens with the high end brands, it's more the poor communication/customer service approach from JLC in contrast to Citizen where the watch itself cost around half the price of the JLC service.

Blog Entries
    I had a JLC Steve and needed a bracelet link screw. I found their customer service obstructive, unhelpful, and actually rather offensive in the end. The net result for me was the watch went and I would never own another JLC, which is a shame as there are a few that I like.

Thanks for sharing! Always interested to read such experiences and happy to hear that Citizen service is good.

It would be very hard for me to consider a JLC, now I don't see it at all.

Master
    This issue, which I too have experienced with JLC, is a key reason why I favour Rolex these days. Good customer service is not an optional extra as far as I am concerned.

Sorry to hear.
    Reports of poor service experience with JlC are piling up.
    I had to deal with the JLC Boutique in NYC only once and it was a very pleasant experience.

Great service from Citizen .

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Sorry to hear.
    Reports of poor service experience with JlC are piling up.
    I had to deal with the JLC Boutique in NYC only once and it was a very pleasant experience.
    Indeed. I have been treated extremely well; boutique openings, manufacture visits, endless meals, hospitality and drinks, I even had a watch or two serviced ;)

Hilarious, these 'ohhh, they were meanies to you, I was going to buy one but I'll just buy a Seiko instead' comments...

Excellent to hear Citizen were outstanding however. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Might depend how old it is and what level of service they were proposing. People assume a quartz service is 'just a battery' ...
    Yes, but that is what most of us want for a Quartz watch. No need to replace any seals as most of us do not dive deeper than the washing up bowl... so £10 tops.
    Will avoid JLC and brands with similar levels of 'service' in future.

As a prospective JLC Reverso owner, this thread really made me think twice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Hilarious, these 'ohhh, they were meanies to you.
    I'm with you all the way, laughing myself senseless at the chumps who got a JLC.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I'm with you all the way, laughing myself senseless at the chumps who got a JLC.
    Why would you laugh at someone who purchased a watch?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Exactly why would you be a chump. It's not the OP,s fault that he has had bad service

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Good question.

I suppose you could call it black humor.

"a form of humor that regards human suffering as absurd rather than pitiable, or that considers human existence as ironic and pointless but somehow comic."
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/black-humor

"A priests asks the convicted murderer at the electric chair, "Do you have any last requests?”
    "Yes," replies the murderer. "Can you please hold my hand?""

"A lady tells the nurse at a maternity hospital, “I want to call my little baby Ellie.”
    Nurse replies, “I’m sorry, but that name is already taken, perhaps you can consider naming her Ellie532 or Ellie_153?”

"A man walks into a shop and sees a very handsome dog. He asks the shop assistant, “Does your dog bite?”
    “No, my dog doesn’t bite.”
    The man happily tries to pet the dog, but the dog attacks him viciously. A little later he stumbles to the shop clerk, “Hey, you said your dog doesn’t bite!”
    The shop clerk shrugs, “He doesn’t. But that wasn’t my dog.”"

Man buys an absurdly expensive watch thinking he would get good customer service, only to find he got JLCed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Exactly why would you be a chump. It's not the OP,s fault that he has had bad service
    True, the OP is not guilty of purchasing that JLC. I do feel sorry for him, for having to deal with them.

I didn't actually buy the watch, I was sending it in on behalf of my mother but I did get JLCed!
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd April 2016 at 00:52.

Indeed. I have been treated extremely well; boutique openings, manufacture visits, endless meals, hospitality and drinks, I even had a watch or two serviced ;)

Hilarious, these 'ohhh, they were meanies to you, I was going to buy one but I'll just buy a Seiko instead' comments...

Excellent to hear Citizen were outstanding however. Good for them.
    It's their loss. They can stick with their Seikoes and be happy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by M_Milaguet View Post
    I've been a Reverso owner for two weeks and although I never like to read about bad customer service for anything I own or may own in the future I do try to maintain a sense of proportion.
    I've read about good and bad service for most watch brands on this forum.

My mum's Cartier battery change cost at least £250 and that was about 10 years. For that she also got a case and bracelet polish.

I have always thought I would take any of my watches to an AD straight away without contacting the watch brand prior to a service.

If I was complaining about the cost of something I would do it by at least asking for a breakdown of what it is included in the price rather than simply asking why it's so expensive.

Master
    Whether one person had good or bad service is interesting but sympathies to the OP here as it doesn't sound great customer service. You're only as good as the last job you do so I'd be writing to the Chief Exec as he needs to be aware of the bad publicity they seem to be getting.

Master
    I don't really see the issue.
    Contacted manufacturer, informed that you need to follow the service chain via the AD
    Then given the price for the work.

You either accept the price or go elsewhere.
    What's the problem?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I don't really see the issue.
    Contacted manufacturer, informed that you need to follow the service chain via the AD
    Then given the price for the work.

You either accept the price or go elsewhere.
    What's the problem?
    Apart from the price, which I too would consider an issue, then the length of time taken to estimate the work, and the extended period between answers to queries (which I consider to be extremely rude) is certainly an issue.

Given the ease of communications, and availability of next day service from many other industries, I just can't understand the attitude of companies these days, to their customers. I get the feeling, quite often, that sellers/retailers regard themselves as somewhat superior these days, rather than what they really are, assistants there to HELP the customers.

I started watch collecting back in the 1970's. At that time, you could ring Breitling (yes, actually ring them), and ask for a job to be done, ie a new crystal, new dial, adjust hand positions, and send them the watch by Registered mail te same day. Invariably, the watch would be worked on and sent back within the week. Minor jobs would be done FOC, as a service to their VALUED customers!!

These days, it's a real rigmarole. Breitling won't replace anything, unless you agree to a full service, it takes weeks and costs a fortune. I regard this as an issue too. We should be able to tell these people what we want, not accept their service, which is done at their convenience. Oh, for the good old days!!

Master

^^^^^^

So the OP was told by JLC that they need to go through the AD, this info is ignored and starts sending emails directly, then gets miffed they aren't responded to in a time frame unacceptable to them.
    Not every company monitors their emails regularly, also depending on volume of emails it can take a while to reply.

Yes the price is high, but it is what it is, not willing to pay, take your business elsewhere, easy really.
    Bitching about the cost wanting a full break down and reasoning behind the price, to me, just sounds like a problem customer.
    It's easier to say that's the price take it or leave it. Not great customer service, but can be dealt with quickly and move on to the next customer

So the OP was told by JLC that they need to go through the AD, this info is ignored and starts sending emails directly, then gets miffed they aren't responded to in a time frame unacceptable to them.
    Not every company monitors their emails regularly, also depending on volume of emails it can take a while to reply.

Yes the price is high, but it is what it is, not willing to pay, take your business elsewhere, easy really.
    Bitching about the cost wanting a full break down and reasoning behind the price, to me, just sounds like a problem customer.
    It's easier to say that's the price take it or leave it. Not great customer service, but can be dealt with quickly and move on to the next customer
    Actually I asked the AD to explain why it was so expensive and they couldn't tell me, I said I would like to ask JLC in that case and was told I was not allowed to call them direct.
    I then asked the AD to check on my behalf and they then said I was allowed to Email them direct which was what I did so I wasn't ignoring any instruction as you suggest, hardly a 'problem customer', just wanted to know why it was £360 as I was originally told a battery change by JLC was going to be £130.
    As I've already said - the cost wasn't the biggest issue as I expect it from a high end brand, it was the poor communication which in this instance was in significant contrast to Citizen.
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd April 2016 at 14:36.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Of course the price is what it is, but it is still too high for what is to be done.

Bitching about an extortionate price will never make anybody a difficult customer.

I actually, throughout this sorry saga, fail to see where JLC has actually offered any customer service. Asking a high price, without justifying it, or being prepared to justify it, and answering an email after 3 weeks is not customer service. It is the action of somebody who couldn't give a shit, just to say whats on the crib card, and get back to playing computer games, or using social media.

Accepting an over the top price, and taking the bullshit offered, without question, is one of the reasons that these people get away with chatging what they want. A few more complaints, and a refusal to accept this level of service and cost just might make them think again, but then I doubt it. They hide behind the reputation of a once great brand, and think they can get away with anything!!

I would never have anything to do with them again, especially when there are good watchmakers around, who are cheaper, and would do at least a good a job.

Apparently arrogance is fashionable nowadays. Even more so with expensive brands.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope it makes you feel better too. Meanwhile:

Personally I just concentrate on the watches, I change my own batteries and get them serviced by independents I know and trust in half the time for half the cost.

All those who are saying they wouldn't buy a JLC because of potential issues with customer service, what is wrong with a trusted independent - such as we are rather blessed with on TZ -UK. I'm pretty sure KeithT could do a JLC battery change for a teeny bit less than JLC. He completely reincarnated a very dead Bulova Astronaut to near perfect timekeeping for less than the cost of a JLC service and his professionalism and customer service was impeccable. It would be a pity to miss out on the products of one of watchmaking's great houses just because they appear to drop the customer service ball from time to time.

Meanwhile, any decent pictures of your watches to cheer us poor chumps up GrandS? Because you are not the only one who enjoys a bit of schadenfreude...
    Last edited by M4tt; 23rd April 2016 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Commiserations to the OP for a bad experience, but I don't regret my JLC for a moment, and thanks for posting this one - very nice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Commiserations to the OP for a bad experience, but I don't regret my JLC for a moment, and thanks for posting this one - very nice.
    Thanks. I shot it while sea kayaking off a well known coastal city. Here's the focus the other way around:

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    Of course the price is what it is, but it is still too high for what is to be done.

Bitching about an extortionate price will never make anybody a difficult customer.

I actually, throughout this sorry saga, fail to see where JLC has actually offered any customer service. Asking a high price, without justifying it, or being prepared to justify it, and answering an email after 3 weeks is not customer service. It is the action of somebody who couldn't give a shit, just to say whats on the crib card, and get back to playing computer games, or using social media.

Accepting an over the top price, and taking the bullshit offered, without question, is one of the reasons that these people get away with chatging what they want. A few more complaints, and a refusal to accept this level of service and cost just might make them think again, but then I doubt it. They hide behind the reputation of a once great brand, and think they can get away with anything!!

I would never have anything to do with them again, especially when there are good watchmakers around, who are cheaper, and would do at least a good a job.
    I agree.

I don't have any axe to grind wrt JLC, but the contrast between the reported Citizen's customer service and JLC's unhelpfulness is quite striking.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by M_Milaguet View Post
    Ditto that. I've been toying with the idea of a new Reverso this year. Not an encouraging thread.

JLC took over a year to service one of my watches, damaged it in the process, and then charged me for the pleasure. Would not buy another Richemont group watch again, ever. Shame, as I love Lange.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Ditto that. I've been toying with the idea of a new Reverso this year. Not an encouraging thread.
    It is simple really. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

All those who are saying they wouldn't buy a JLC because of potential issues with customer service, what is wrong with a trusted independent - ...
    Exactly, and this is what most people do with car servicing once they have had enough of dealer prices and attitude. Watch manufacturers have countered this though by restricting supply of spare parts...

It is simple really. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    Or simply buy one from one of the many other brands that make Reversos

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Exactly, and this is what most people do with car servicing once they have had enough of dealer prices and attitude. Watch manufacturers have countered this though by restricting supply of spare parts...
    Funnily enough, a friend of the wife was round again with a Smart forfour which had become a bit imprecise. I took a quick look at it the other week and noticed that a track rod end was shot. She'd just been quoted £180 by a Merc garage to change it. I took another look at it, discovered it was common with the older Mitsubishi Colt, nipped to the local motor factors, picked one up for fifteen quid and popped it on in about ten minutes. There's a lot of taking the piss going on these days.

As for restricting parts, surely it's got to be a self destructive move for any mass market manufacture?

Banned
    As for restricting parts, surely it's got to be a self destructive move for any mass market manufacture?
    For the mass market perhaps. For the luxury market where people buy impulse without questioning after sales service, probably no.

A Citizen watch is mass market. A JLC? Not mass market at all.

Do they care more about making money than keeping a customer who has already shelled out a huge amount of money for their watch happy? Of course they do, they have manager's salaries to pay, fancy dinners for VIP customers and let's not forget the shareholders. Someone has to pay the piper...

Banned
    Guess who is paying for all that?

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Steve and I must say very surprised as we are talking a simple quartz battery replacement here anyway a tale of two watches

My wife has a Tag ceramic Quartz and it needed a new battery so of comes the case back and I do not have the correct size in my stash anyway got to go to Tesco's and pop into Timpsons and the guy says company policy genuine TH back to manufacturer £65.00 and I cannot do the change in store but he says a new battery is £3.80 do you want one yes says I and go home and do the deed watch all ok and running as a simple Quartz should
    I have a "marmite " watch a Linde Werdelin in the collection and it needs a IMO a case refurb so I ask Duncan can you do it yes he says but no as I do not have access to replacement seals anyway I talk to my contact at LW and mention this ah says he I am sending you out a strap but I will also include the seals FOC for your watchmaker to use that is service.
    Just out of interest is the Quartz in the JLC a super Quartz as per Breitling or just bog standard?
    Last edited by mart broad; 24th April 2016 at 10:14.

Grand Master
    Bitching about consumers who don't like being ripped off by high prices and toilet service - "pay the money, and like it' - explains a lot about the bad attitudes on "Treasure Island". It's like JLC is entitled to the money.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

For the mass market perhaps. For the luxury market where people buy impulse without questioning after sales service, probably no.

Do they care more about making money than keeping a customer who has already shelled out a huge amount of money for their watch happy? Of course they do, they have manager's salaries to pay, fancy dinners for VIP customers and let's not forget the shareholders. Someone has to pay the piper...
    Perhaps some perspective needs to be given here, this is based upon one customers experience with JLC not hundreds, not thousands likewise with Citizen.

Citizen have built up a reputation for good customer service over the years, they have a 5 year warranty you can extend to if you register online as a high street company the customer has a much better access to customer services as there are so many retailers he can turn to.

JLC may cater for a more specific market but Citizen are hardly "low end" They have their Chronomaster, high end eco drive and campanula lines that cost several thousands I doubt the service costs of those are cheap either.

I would imagine Citizen do more in marketing than some of these brands the pitch forks are out for. Didn't Citizen have a Barcelona watch? How many sports celebrities, events etc have Citizen sponsored?

The attitude of JLC has been poor in this example and the customer is right to criticize them. I hope you can sort out getting the watch repaired and hopefully one of our resident watch repairers will be able to do the job.

Its interesting though several years ago watch forums were full of micro brands, unusual complications on watches, vintage stuff hard to find companies. How times change.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Personally I'd put put most JLC at the top end of mass market. I'd also question yet another sweeping generalisation: that people in the luxury market 'buy impulse without questioning after sales service'. In my experience, that's far more likely at the lower end of mass market where far less money is involved.

While a rhetorical sweeping mixed metaphor generalisation is an impressive thing to manage, why is this true of JLC and not true of Citizen or any other manufacture?

I'm beginning to smell the heady bouquet of sour grape flavoured cool aid and I suspect if I bothered to look I'd find a classic case of brand loyalty cognitive dissonance and a history of shadenfreude towards the misfortunes of other brand owners...
    Last edited by M4tt; 24th April 2016 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Sorry to hear that Steve and I must say very surprised as we are talking a simple quartz battery replacement here anyway a tale of two watches

My wife has a Tag ceramic Quartz and it needed a new battery so of comes the case back and I do not have the correct size in my stash anyway got to go to Tesco's and pop into Timpsons and the guy says company policy genuine TH back to manufacturer £65.00 and I cannot do the change in store but he says a new battery is £3.80 do you want one yes says I and go home and do the deed watch all ok and running as a simple Quartz should
    I have a "marmite " watch a Linde Werdelin in the collection and it needs a IMO a case refurb so I ask Duncan can you do it yes he says but no as I do not have access to replacement seals anyway I talk to my contact at LW and mention this ah says he I am sending you out a strap but I will also include the seals FOC for your watchmaker to use that is service.
    Just out of interest is the Quartz in the JLC a super Quartz as per Breitling or just bog standard?
    Hi Martin, I'm not sure whether it's super Quartz, my mother insisted on having it done by JLC, if it was my watch and my choice I would have taken it to a local independent watch maker, I know one in Wokingham that I have used for my Girard Perregaux watches and he's been superb. Your two examples involving the Tag Heuer and Linde Werdelin just shows that going back to the original manufacturer isn't always the best option. The service from Linde Werdelin was exceptional, I had forgotten you had one of those still, stunning watch.

I'm beginning to smell the heady bouquet of sour grape flavoured cool aid and I suspect if I bothered to look I'd find a classic case of brand loyalty cognitive dissonance and a history of shadenfreude towards the misfortunes of other brand owners...
    I bet it's the Hardy Kruger Syndrome. Everything's always the Hardy Kruger Syndrome.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I bet it's the Hardy Kruger Syndrome. Everything's always the Hardy Kruger Syndrome.

In that case your new psychiatrist is lazier than the last one.

I also have heard many horror stories with JLC. One which I remember is a friends watch ( who was actually a salesman for them at the time!) constantly going back under warranty each time taking months and coming back with a similar issue. The watch was only weeks old (a master compressor chronograph).

It definitely put me off straying away from Rolex and similar good brands. It's a shame.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk