closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cycle Distance Targets

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    on the other hand, I have never liked bib shorts and just wear cycling shorts with mtb baggies.
    Which is obviously fine, if you're 11 ;)

In terms of the distance, I was advised increase gradually by around 10%. Seemed to work but took me a long time to get up to doing a 34 mile round trip.

One thing I found difficult to get my head around is that cycling is quite hard sometimes (hills, headwinds etc) but still I enjoy it (most of the time!)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I used to cycle a fair bit, the thing i found was that once your muscles and impact points get used to it, the miles roll by.
    Once your body is accustomed to the postion you will find that doing 50 miles is not really harder than 30, its just time and energy.

Last year the missus bet me i couldnt ride a hundred miles. Cant resist a challenge so off i set. Hadnt ridden for 3-4 years at all.. and was probably 10-12 years since any racing or long rides.

It was hard, but not impossible... I'm now 48 and havent really ridden since i was 28, but still did a "hundred" last year...

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    I used to cycle a fair bit, the thing i found was that once your muscles and impact points get used to it, the miles roll by.
    Once your body is accustomed to the postion you will find that doing 50 miles is not really harder than 30, its just time and energy.

Last year the missus bet me i couldnt ride a hundred miles. Cant resist a challenge so off i set. Hadnt ridden for 3-4 years at all.. and was probably 10-12 years since any racing or long rides.

It was hard, but not impossible... I'm now 48 and havent really ridden since i was 28, but still did a "hundred" last year...
    Good on you, I have been commuting for a couple of years and just barely managed one last year, and have not tried again (I should do so though)

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Good on you, I have been commuting for a couple of years and just barely managed one last year, and have not tried again (I should do so though)
    People are very different. Some can bang out a century on minimal training, others have a different metabolism, burn mainly glycogen and are dead after 2 hours without significant distance training! Unfortunately for me I am the latter, the first big ride in the spring is always painful even though I commute all through the winter!