closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: England v Slovakia

England v Slovakia

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 20th June 2016 at 21:56.

That title for the thread will make you unpopular, if previous matches are anything to go by

What's with the chocolate brownie?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    That title for the thread will make you unpopular, if previous matches are anything to go by
    Amended, thanks.

Did there keeper make any saves ?

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Did there keeper make any saves ?
    Yes, he made three good saves in the first half but he didn't have to make any in the second with his ten outfield players in front of him. That's not a criticism of Slovakia, we need to be better to break them down.

Master
    Copied from the other thread....and now the usual crap excuses and pathetic post match analysis.
    Well just sat through another 90 mins and another crap match and poor performance, they really do deserve to go home. No one who can score or even place a shot that isn't going to hit a defender or straight at the keeper, boring and completely non eventful. It makes it even more sickening how much those prima donas get paid. And breathe.....well done Wales played with the usual passion.

Craftsman
    I just wasted 90 minutes of my life.

Blog Entries
    I was impressed tonight with the England performance. NOT!

I wasted 40, the rest at least I slept.

Awful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No far off awful.
    They dominated possession, but it's not those stats that win tournaments....

Had chances, but failed to score, and the usual suspects in these events are just more clinical...

Other than the fact we got lucky in the 92nd minute against Wales, we would have been looking at 3 draws.... Not quite good enough
    Last edited by deanlad; 20th June 2016 at 22:49.

Master
    As per usual utter toss and if I hear the words dominated possession once more!!!!

It was a shocker, no two ways about it!

Is it just me or does anyone else want to throw the telly out of the window whilst having to endure 20 minutes of the great escape theme tune .

Master
    Being Welsh got a very BIGGGGGG smile.

I didn't think it was a poor performance, just that the tempo dropped compared to the other two games. That's what happens when you drop the Spurs boys, though.

Whilst on that subject, Dier is going to be a magnificent player (in truth, he is already), and a future England captain.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I didn't think it was a poor performance, just that the tempo dropped compared to the other two games. That's what happens when you drop the Spurs boys, though.

Whilst on that subject, Dier is going to be a magnificent player (in truth, he is already), and a future England captain.
    I agree Tony but we have to learn how to turn possession and territorial dominance into chances and goals. The best teams will do that in this tournament but we won't.

I thought England started off brightly but as the game went on they seemed to run out of ideas & it became apparent that they could have played until midnight & not scored.

This is after pundits were lauding England's strikers pre-tournament as up there with the best in the competition.

Bilic (as always) was correct in his analysis - lack of finishing and quality was the reason. To be honest most of the bigger teams have struggled so far with the deep defending of the 'lesser' teams.

congrats to Wales - playing well and deserved to finish top.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Champions of England... 1 bench warmer...

3rd place Spurs... 5 starters...

Ok Woy!!! :-)

I just can't get excited about international football...m that was dull and dreary

Master
    Now you know how it feels to support the Scottish national team!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Now you know how it feels to support the Scottish national team!
    Thanks, you just reminded me it could be so much worse! ;)

Master
    It really was a poor performance but that is pretty much the norm for this bunch and their chumpy manager, when a team decides to defend like they did you need those real quality players with great movement who can open sides up and we just don't have that quality at all and that's why we huffed and puffed and for sure will go out sooner rather than later.

Grand Master
    Wings. Use them.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

England played very well, certainly loads of possession with accurate (for the most part) passing. However we nearly gifted Slovakia a goal with a defensive error (where have I heard that before) and all the passing and possession counts for nothing if we can't actually finish off and score.

If only one of those chances had gone in we'd all be dreaming of the final.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes Hodgson and followed his career since he was at Malmo. However he should never have taken Jack Wheelchair who looks desperately short of match fitness and taken another centre back, we all held our breath when Cahill looked like he went down injured?!
    Adam Lallana is playing so well but couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and couldn't score in a brothel!
    There's no imagination at corners, they just aim for Cahill and if you're going to play Vardy you need to play to his strengths. Sturridge was so frustrating when we had him at Chelsea, a truly world class player if only he could get his head together! And Henderson is the luckiest player in the tournament, if he can play for England then so can I!

...aaaaand breath.

Roy has lost the plot. The team who draw with Russia and get another chance to start against Wales and after 45 minutes still no goals. Finally after some subs we've got a squad that seem to be playing and scoring. So it'd be wise to stick with that team to start again. But no, 6 changes! WTF. This squad selection should have been done before the tournament, not during.

Post match Roy said they couldn't have done any more. I think they could, they could of won, but Roy says "they couldn't have done any more". What kind of message is that to the players! Telling the team a draw against Slovakia is good enough.

Chris Coleman is telling his squad to play without fear, and they're looking good. Most defences in the tournament will now be wondering how to control Bale. Who's worried about England?

Why slate Henderson, given his lack of fitness and game time, he was the one opening most of the doors and opportunities. Who put Vardy through one on one, who put the cross over for Alli? I thought he was one of our best players to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    If only one of those chances had gone in we'd all be dreaming of the final.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes Hodgson and followed his career since he was at Malmo. However he should never have taken Jack Wheelchair who looks desperately short of match fitness and taken another centre back, we all held our breath when Cahill looked like he went down injured?!
    Adam Lallana is playing so well but couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and couldn't score in a brothel!
    There's no imagination at corners, they just aim for Cahill and if you're going to play Vardy you need to play to his strengths. Sturridge was so frustrating when we had him at Chelsea, a truly world class player if only he could get his head together! And Henderson is the luckiest player in the tournament, if he can play for England then so can I!

...aaaaand breath.

Woy said "England Fear No One"

He should have rearranged the words - No One Fears England

Why rest players in a tournament who seemed to have settled and looked good - resting in a tournament FFS!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Everything went through Henderson in the first half,
    Vardy looked out of sorts, didn't get a look in, Wilshire looked completely out of it.
    Rooney worked hard when on, but tried to win the game single handedly and failed.
    Lalana had a few nice touches and so did Sturridge, but the lack of end product is the acid test.
    Dont have a problem with swapping out both full backs, saved a yellow or tow perhaps and might be crucial later in the tournament, or that could have been the thinking
    Clyne and Bertrand both played well. Smalling didnt have a great game, Cahill did enough.

I think overall we played quite well, but failed to put away our chances, with exactly the same performance and a two goal win, we would be singing all the way home...

I agree that this could have very easily been a comfortable victory. If one of the several England chances had gone in, I think that the game would have really opened up. For me, Slovakia went into that game not to concede, accepting that a draw may see them sorted.
    As for Hodgson, I personally despair.

It's not all bad ,we've got one of these to play ,Hungary,Portugal,Austria or Iceland,now if we can't get a result against one of these then we really do know we're shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I must admit being a Welshman I did raise a eyebrow when I saw Hodgson make 6 changes and I suddenly dreamt of a scenario with Slovakia drawing. I fully expected a England win so it felt pretty surreal when I turned over to see the last few minutes and it did finish a draw.

What on earth was Woy thinking making huge changes??? Especially with the potential of 3rd place getting through! Technically all 4 teams were still with a shout of qualifying yesterday, Slovakia had already beat Russia so certainly were not going to roll over with a chance to still win the group.

Of course England are still through and I think will get to QF no problem but I believe Woy resting the team has resulted them in joining the side of the draw which includes France, Italy and Germany if I read correctly? He has made things more difficult for sure.

Have to say I was suprised he survived in the job after the WC campaign. I thought he was horrendous at Liverpool and was out of his depth
    Last edited by kultschar; 21st June 2016 at 11:17.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    6 changes, yes
    problem? was it really?
    Could you argue with sturridge and Vardy starting ?
    Could you argue that Clyne and Bertrand, are out of their depth (remember before the first game no one was sure which pairings t full back were preferable)

Could you argue with the fact that Wilshire made the difference in the first game when he came on against Russia..

Could you argue with blooding Henderson in the tournament ?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the team played well in the first half, and the second half subs didnt improve the performance at all.

I thought that would have been a perfect game for a pacy winger who goes down at the slightest touch. Doesn't matter about his final ball because he falls over is fouled before playing it...

Why didn't Woy play Waheem
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    6 changes, yes
    problem? was it really?
    Yes it's a problem - nobody know who the team is. They can't play as a unit if they don't know who's going to be on the pitch.

Master
    The thing is England are just an average International side at best and that's all they are they don't have the class and quality needed to win tournaments and break teams down, Hodgson really does need to go as I can't imagine him inspiring anyone it's alright saying well we dominated all three games but the fact is we couldn't win a weak group as if they are as good as so many people think they are we would be sat on 9 points, they might and I mean might scrape through the next game but after that they will be out.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The thing about England is that everybody moans about them whatever they do. No,we didn't score but it's not all bad....they are,in my opinion,playing amongst the best football an England team have played for years. And tournaments are often won by an improving team rather than one who is playing brilliantly right from the get go....there is still hope.
    However,Woy does really need to play his best team every time and I don't understand why he would drop Rooney. Also,there is no point muttering about Vardy being out of sorts if he is played out of position. He does not operate as a lone front man at Leicester so why use him as such?

Had we won last night and won the group we would have been in the other half of the competition to France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Just saying like.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Had we won last night and won the group we would have been in the other half of the competition to France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Just saying like.
    Big mistake resting players Woy

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Big mistake resting players Woy
    You play your best team until the job's done. It wasn't done going into the game and now we get the shitty end of the stick yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You play your best team until the job's done. It wasn't done going into the game and now we get the shitty end of the stick yet again.
    You're probably too young to remember 1966 when West Ham won the World Cup .

Jimmy Greaves, widely believed to be one of the best strikers in the world got injured and was replaced by Hurst.

When Greaves came back everyone expected him to go straight back in but Alf stuck with Geoff and the rest is history.

West Ham - 4

West Germany -2
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought a Blackpool player was the real man of the match in 1966? :)
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd June 2016 at 11:53.

I thought a Blackpool player was the real man of the match in 1966? :)
    Did you?

West Ham's; Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters won the World Cup for us.

Oh for players of that calibre nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    "Ask any of the players that day who was their man of the match and they would all say Bally." - Sir Geoff Hurst

"Ask any of the players that day who was their man of the match and they would all say Bally." - Sir Geoff Hurst
    Certainly one of the players of the tournament, he never stopped running!

I think he was possibly the youngest player for England?
    Cheers,
    Neil.