closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxster or alternatives

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Boxster or alternatives

After working in the same company for 17 years i received the dreaded news today that i am being made redundant in 8 weeks time.

Ive had a company car for the last 20 plus years, so i am now in tbe position of having to buy a car.

At first i was thinking of something practical and family like, but the more i think about it the more i would like something different, chances are that if i find another job quickly i wont need it for long, so makes sense to find something thats not at adealer and not going to depreciate wildly.

I fancy perhaps a boxster mk1 or slk mk1.

Im sure there are plenty of people on here with experience on here of both or perhaps alternatives.

Budget i guess around 7k

Cheers

I love my Boxster S - they are cheap enough, just buy well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Boxster is the best of the bunch. I bought an early 2.5l, ran it faultlessly for 18 months then sold it for what I bought it for.

Never owned a more grin-worthy car.

SL rather than SLK.
    Quite different to a Boxter, more of a gt car.

£7k

That will get you a very good boxster
    Don't get hung up on the S model

Lots around so just buy the seller and the history

Try toget black or silver

Blue don't sell so well

Master
    Don't need to limit yourself to the MK1 SLK. For £7.5k I've just acquired a 2005 SLK 350 on 50k miles. It's the R171, aka the Mk2 or "the one that looks a bit like a mini-SLR". It's a lot of toys and a lot of poke for your money but being front engined and heavier than the 986 Boxster it won't drive anything like the same. But for cruising around it's perfect.

Blog Entries
    Was thinking Boxster but just bought a 2006 Mini CooperS the John Cooper works version convertible with 42K on the clock for 4K a fun drive with the six speed box and surprisingly roomy interior and I love that you can go from closed to sunshine roof to full convertible at the press of a button.

You can get a very nice MX-5 for £7k.

#justsayin'

Phew. Seven posts in and nobody had mentioned an MX5. I was beginning to get worried. At least PK has remembered the honourable traditions of the forum.

In a similar vein, I'm duty bound to suggest the S2000. And to deride the SLK for catering to those who don't really like driving.

Carry on.

Lotus Elise if you want a proper driving experience but a Boxster is a much better choice than a SLK or Z4 if you want a bit more practicality.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Lotus Elise if you want a proper driving experience but a Boxster is a much better choice than a SLK or Z4 if you want a bit more practicality.
    Ive thought about an mx5, I considered the Elise (seemed a bit pricey though, in terms of my budget)

The S2000 is a good shout though...

Lots of great replies guys, thanks, and keep em coming,

Master
    I feel duty bound to say that you should consider a proper classic sports car, like a DAF?

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, but every cloud and all that.

I've been looking at Bixsters for a few months now. There is a lot to be said for going for the basic 2.5l versions which seem immune from the oil seal issues. That said, for not much more than the 986, you can get into a 987 version (Mark 2) which has a nicer interior and a glass rear window. It just looks a bit more modern all round.

I'd not be put off by high miles either, history is more important I think.

If you're normal height and not sub six foot may I suggest you borrow a Boxster for a good two-hour drive? I liked a lot about my 986 but it wasn't friendly to someone my height (no leg support at all). My Mk1 MX-5, on the other hand, fits me perfectly.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    If you enjoy driving then the S2000 or the Nissan 350Z (convertable) both great cars. The Honda is more focussed but the Nissan has a far better cabin

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You can get several MX-5s for £7k.

#justsayin'
    Sorted that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    If you're normal height and not sub six foot may I suggest you borrow a Boxster for a good two-hour drive? I liked a lot about my 986 but it wasn't friendly to someone my height (no leg support at all). My Mk1 MX-5, on the other hand, fits me perfectly.
    You just needed to find a short bloke to sell it to.

Another slightly biased vote for the S2000 from me, but prices are continuing to rise as the supply of good low-mileage examples dwindles.

Boxster or an S2000.

Both will sell easily - SLK, nah...

MX5 is always an option, but a bit slow compared with the others.

If you wanted something that bridges the gap between practical and sporty, you might consider an E46 BMW M3...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 1st July 2016 at 11:26.

And if you're 6' 4" or more forget all versions of the MX5, Boxster or S2000. I tried them all and although I could fit (just) my vision was severely restricted as I couldn't get the seats low enough.

In the end I went for one of these.

Great fun (albeit not Boxster fast), I can fit easily, cheap to maintain/run, very friendly UK based forum (the pic was from a recent meet at the Beaulieu sports car day) and all for around a third of your budget, much less if you're not too fussy.

The downside is there's very little luggage space but enough for a long weekend away if you get creative.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. I test drove a SLK320 too but it was definitely more of a cruiser. Weight and an auto box don't make for a sports car feel imho and the potential maintenance costs are eye watering.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    And if you're 6' 4" or more forget all versions of the MX5, Boxster or S2000. I tried them all and although I could fit (just) my vision was severely restricted as I couldn't get the seats low enough.

In the end I went for one of these.

looks like an mr2 - seem to remember one being for sale, on here recently..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    MX5 is always an option, but a bit slow compared with the others.

M.

I genuinely like that aspect of mine - you can drive it like you stole it without too much risk to self or licence...

Then again I have an M135i and Street Triple to fulfil the "adequately rapid" requirement...

Yes it is and there was, it's probably long gone now though.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...light=Roadster

Plenty of info about them on the forum including a good buyers guide.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/index.php

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I genuinely like that aspect of mine - you can drive it like you stole it without too much risk to self or licence...
    Yes, that's a fair point.

I drove one of the new MX5s and thought it pretty good, but it did feel a bit sluggish compared to my RX8.

Depends what you want - I'm not sure I'd want a slower car personally, but, as you say, opportunities to use more speed legally are rare.

M

Master
    as mentioned previously, the Merc is a bit underwhelming from a drivers perspective. Mrs has the second gen & whilst it looks the part its a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing; the bigger engine is ok but doesn't handle like the Pork.

Boxster's are such great cars for the money and totally smile inducing if you're not used to that sort of vehicle. Found the S2000 very tight in the cabin and with the high revving engine it always felt like you needed to really give it some boot.

Red face MR2

Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post

looks like an mr2 - seem to remember one being for sale, on here recently..
    And I bought it and very please its fun cheap to run and puts a smile on my face every time I get it out for a thrash.
    Ps Im 6Ft 2 its there is plenty of room for me.

Craftsman
    Addressing the comment that the MX5 is a bit slower than the others.... Have a look at the MX5 mods being done by BBR GTI.... I bought a complete car from there.... Mine makes 300 BHP but is cheap as chips to look after, looks standard bar lowering and will give the aforementioned cars a fright....

That's the part that makes me smile the most.

Sent by devilishly cunning means

Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    Addressing the comment that the MX5 is a bit slower than the others.... Have a look at the MX5 mods being done by BBR GTI.... I bought a complete car from there.... Mine makes 300 BHP but is cheap as chips to look after, looks standard bar lowering and will give the aforementioned cars a fright....

That's the part that makes me smile the most.

How are you getting on with it? When one day I get a house with enough garaging to cover the main parts of the Foxy fleet I was thinking I could sell on my very tatty NA and invest a bit of money into a BBR NA instead. Have you had reliability issues or anything like that?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Mine is the NC with folding hardtop... No issues what so ever and average 500 miles a week as it is my main means of transport

Master
    Blog Entries
    A Z4 3.0 SI is worth a look, cheaper to run, and a bullet proof straight six, that sounds great. You could pick a nice 06 to 08 for 9K. To many horror stories with high mileage Boxsters. My beauty below

Last edited by hilly10; 2nd July 2016 at 07:33.

Master
    There's nothing really like a Boxster. Head to the Boxa forum...we are a friendly bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You can get a very nice MX-5 for £7k.

#justsayin'
    Beaten to it again,,,(sigh)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    A Z4 3.0 SI is worth a look, cheaper to run, and a bullet proof straight six, that sounds great. You could pick a nice 06 to 08 for 9K. To many horror stories with high mileage Boxsters.
    In my opinion they are they a bit ordinary and a bit numb to drive.

Your comment re high mileage Boxsters could be true for any high mileage car! The difference is that Boxsters (especially 986 models) tend to be more enthusiast owned so are more likely to be looked after properly.

Do your research, do some test drives and get an inspection done and you will find a great car within budget.
    Last edited by rico; 1st July 2016 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by squashy1 View Post
    And I bought it and very please its fun cheap to run and puts a smile on my face every time I get it out for a thrash.
    Ps Im 6Ft 2 its there is plenty of room for me.
    I'm glad someone from the forum bought it in the end, it sounded like a well looked after example.

Great fun aren't they, never fails to put a smile on my face either. Went out for a quick blast a few weekends ago and ended up doing 150 miles just for the the thrill of driving. Haven't done that since my first car, which was many moons ago.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    In my opinion they are they a bit ordinary and a bit numb to drive.

Your comment re high mileage Boxsters could be true for any high mileage car! The difference is that Boxsters (especially 986 models) tend to be more enthusiast owned so are more likely to be looked after properly.
    Does not matter a jot about looking after, Bore Score strikes and the dreaded bearing issues. I did enough homework to know its a trait of that engine, more so if its been locked up and used sparingly in fact one rebuild company did say they had quite a few at 45k miles that had been garage queens

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I think a lot of it is about the sensation of speed.

In a previous life my main client was Mercedes-Benz, so I got to hoon around on track in a lot of their high performance motors. Trouble is they feel so well planted and safe I rarely felt like I was actually going quickly, only the speedo told you otherwise but the rest of your body gave few indications.

Get behind the wheel of a light roadster with less grip and your entire body is connected to the sensation of speed, from your arse to your fingertips. The first time I went for a drive in the MR2 with the missus she was telling me to slow down, when in fact I was within the legal limits and going slower than I would in my Honda Civic.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Z4 either coupe or roadster.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, wishing you all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm 6'2'' and had no problems fitting in either my Dad's 986 or my 987.2 for long periods. Not sure about a Z4 but I don't fit well into E46 or F30 3-series or 1 series BMW's as with the seat in the loest setting, I am peering through the very top of the windscreen. Maybe just me??

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Never been a big bmw fan however those z4 s in gunmetal look amazing

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Op, remember a Boxster isn't a real Porsche. It's for ladies and hairdressers. Can't you afford a 911?

🤔

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Erm.. not after being made redundant.. no...

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Op, remember a Boxster isn't a real Porsche. It's for ladies and hairdressers. Can't you afford a 911?

Master
    Blog Entries

Yawn Yawn what a crap statement that is

Master
    This thread has got me interested - where is a good place to get some history on the various Boxster models, what to look for etc? I must admit that I know very little about them.

Blog Entries
    Yawn Yawn what a crap statement that is
    I just thought I'd get it in first, after all it gets said so much by people who've never driven one that it MUST be true.

BTW here's mine.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I just thought I'd get it in first, after all it gets said so much by people who've never driven one that it MUST be true.

BTW here's mine.

Can understand that but why the jibe about affording a 911 on the day I was made redundant..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    Can understand that but why the jibe about affording a 911 on the day I was made redundant..
    It's the comment that's always leveled at Boxster owners or prospective owners. I made it tongue in cheek as it's been asked of me several times (usually by a non-Porsche owning Audi or BMW driver)

What relevance does your redundancy have though?

I thought it was 8 weeks away!?

And if you've got £7k to spend on a short-term purchase things can't be THAT bad!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Sure. Seems a reasonable comment after all. Must just be me..

Just bought an MR2 also, most reviews of the car are very good. Still learning the car, but it is great fun so far. Have booked my first track day in it too (20th August at Bedford)

Hi

To add my two cents worth I think for the purposes the OP has mentioned you can't go wrong with a Boxster at that money; notwithstanding the scenario of buying a dud which needs £1000's spent of course.

I dipped my toe in the water earlier this year with a lovely 2002, 2.7 with 87k on the clock as I had also promised myself a Porsche to replace my MX5 which I have owned for around 7 years, I couldn't bring myself to sell my beloved MX5 in case I preferred it to the Porsche (strange I know, but it is such a good little car to drive it really worried me). Anyway the Porsche exceeded my expectations and now I am trying to sell my MX5 (see my post of 22 June in Sale Corner) but I have also decided to sell my current Boxster and with the combined funds buy either a 987 Boxster or Cayman instead as a long term keeper; Porsche ownership is certainly hitting all the right notes for me; especially the howl of the flat six just behind my left ear in particular.

If either of mine may be of interest please let me know. I'll try and get the Porsche photographed and up on Sales Corner soon.

Sorry for the shameless plug!

Kind regards

Yumma

Master
    RX8 as long as you have deep pockets or don't do many miles as I believe 15mpg is typical if you drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    RX8 as long as you have deep pockets or don't do many miles as I believe 15mpg is typical if you drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Don't forget Oil consumption 1ltr to every 100 miles sounds about right

Master
    Don't forget Oil consumption 1ltr to every 100 miles sounds about right
    Seriously? Blimey!

Still, I'd like to own a rotary engined car for a while some time. Sadly the days of the banger RX-7 are long gone.

Never really liked them, but after thinking lifes too short, bought this for the wife.I must admit its nice to drive ,a bit plusher than my elise.Just do your homework and find a good one