closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxster or alternatives

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Don't forget Oil consumption 1ltr to every 100 miles sounds about right

I had a 231 and had no oil guzzling issues at all. Fuel, on the other hand, was a different matter. Just over 200miles a tank and 18mpg.

Sold it when it struggled to hot-start.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If they have a few miles under the belt, Oil consumption is quite a common problem. Rotor tips which are worn is one of the culprits

Good to see a few votes for the Z4 3l straight six. Coupe is the one to have here; nice rarity factor and you'll never tire looking at it.

But... you'll need to take it off the runflats if you're going to enjoy it.

Journeyman
    I was lookng at boxsters but have ended up at present with a 2.8 Z3. I suppose it is a bit on par with the 2.5 boxster, however it cost about half the price. Certainly enjoying it so far!

I would recommend the Slk32 amg. I've had one for 8 years and it's used by the missus as I bought an slk55 in 2012.

The 32 has a supercharged V6 which puts out 350 bhp and still looks little different from the 230. The 6 cylinders are turbine smooth and the engine is bulletproof . .In 45 k miles mine has only ever needed a new supercharger pump (a known fault -the standard bosch one fails around 60k as the plastic impellor disintegrates. You can replace this with a johnson marine cm30 pump for £150) outside of routine servicing

biggest issue is rust (wheel arches and boot lock). It won't handle as sharply as a Boxster but for 99% of the time is more than adequate..think more mini GT

Quite rare too with only about 260 made between 2001-2004.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Not had the choice of a (marque of) car for nigh on 20 years, and now changing my mind every day or so..

Went from Boxster to Z4....NOW...still looking at mercs, but drawn to the CLK 320's.. in diesel.

Nice looking, quick and economical...

The 350z is a nice shout, but coming out of a nissan franchise environment, seen lots driven lots and would be like a company car again..

My missus had an RX8 a while back, with 231bhp, the 16-17 mpg is a killer, but they are relatively cheap to buy,

Keep the ideas coming, we all love a car thread...

Master
    30k would buy you a very nice mk2 Jag (first time around of course). Make sure it has PS or budget for the conversion.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post

The 350z is a nice shout, but coming out of a nissan franchise environment, seen lots driven lots and would be like a company car again..
    A Porsche is a Volkswagen and the fleet of Boxters about is an order or two larger than the 350Z fleet ;-)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    A Porsche is a Volkswagen and the fleet of Boxters about is an order or two larger than the 350Z fleet ;-)
    Indeed understood, but i meant I have been driving Nissans for nearly 20 years, would be nice to have something else.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A car with a whole load of grunt, but if you like a nice interior then forget, its just woeful

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You can get a very nice MX-5 for £7k.

#justsayin'
    Yep,no problem at all .
    http://www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk/details.php?cid=610

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 17bex View Post
    Indeed understood, but i meant I have been driving Nissans for nearly 20 years, would be nice to have something else.
    It is all down to personal preference and that is mostly down to associations so... totally understood :-)

The 350 is simply a lot of sporty car for the money and largely overlooked.
    The 'orange' metallic goldlike colour is not y taste at all, but does suit the car to a T.

Over here there is one for sale with a a twin turbo set up fitted. All written into the tech specs of the license and all.
    The has NO outside mods; it looks bog standard but has 600 bhp. Bring on the 911s!!!!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It is all down to personal preference and that is mostly down to associations so... totally understood :-)

The 350 is simply a lot of sporty car for the money and largely overlooked.
    The 'orange' metallic goldlike colour is not y taste at all, but does suit the car to a T.

Over here there is one for sale with a a twin turbo set up fitted. All written into the tech specs of the license and all.
    The has NO outside mods; it looks bog standard but has 600 bhp. Bring on the 911s!!!!
    I'm sure your real sports car will eat it for breakfast!!

"Fire up the DAF!"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I'm sure your real sports car will eat it for breakfast!!

"Fire up the DAF!"
    Where I live the 350 and the like have little place. Literally, regardless of the hp.
    That is why I mentioned 911s. Those need the same open tarmac and are just a useless over here :-)
    Still, a nice 350... would not mind one of those at all. Early model, pre '96. The forged wheels and brake upgrade, after market exhaust. Nicely understated, under the radar FUN!!! Would go just right with my Grand Seikos.

p.s. I would go for a for a"1985B"(aka "85.5" or "1985½" ) 944 if I were looking Porsche or such.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 11th July 2016 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I'm 6'2'' and had no problems fitting in either my Dad's 986 or my 987.2 for long periods. Not sure about a Z4 but I don't fit well into E46 or F30 3-series or 1 series BMW's as with the seat in the loest setting, I am peering through the very top of the windscreen. Maybe just me??
    Im 6'02 and so is my partner and we have an E46 and F30 and have no problem, long legs or big hair?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Fairly strong money for what is a low spec special edition albeit in excellent condition. However, unless you kept it as a garage queen it'll end up being just another rusty Mk1 worth a grand or two in no time. Not a daily driver for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Fairly strong money for what is a low spec special edition albeit in excellent condition. However, unless you kept it as a garage queen it'll end up being just another rusty Mk1 worth a grand or two in no time.
    Yes, and?
    So he writes off one K per year.
    Many a fun car will easily cost that in maintenance. Never mind the cost of a simple ding acquired as proof of the useful life, the fun in driving.

Yes, and?
    So he writes off one K per year.
    Many a fun car will easily cost that in maintenance. Never mind the cost of a simple ding acquired as proof of the useful life, the fun in driving.
    My point being that for half that money he could still have an excellent, useable Mk1 MX5 with plenty of change for maintenance and virtually no depreciation. That's if he wants a Mk1 MX5, of course.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    My point being that for half that money he could still have an excellent, useable Mk1 MX5 with plenty of change for maintenance and virtually no depreciation.
    Ok. Got it.

And yes, the difference between a Boxter and an MX5 is rather to much to allow comparison.
    The factor 'fun' may be the common denominator but that is also entirely subjective.

Imo this is best illustrated by the GT86. Widely recognized as the best balanced, most driver's fun modern car, it does not make a dent in sales figures and quite a few get resold quickly.
    The bulk of self proclaimed spirited driving lovers simply don't make use of the balanced drifting behavior and are frustrated by lack of grunt, non image and by themselves not meeting specs; i.e. making a fool of themselves/ feeling inadequate.
    In contrast;
    buying an MX5 buys instant underdog factor,
    buying a Porsche buys instant indisputable image.
    Both result in any driving skill being enough