closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I can't stop listening to...

I can't stop listening to...

Seems to be a fair variety of good taste on here, so I'm curious.

I'm a serial monogamous when it comes music. Every few weeks or months I get hooked on an album that just keeps getting better the more I listen to it, for weeks and weeks. Recently, in succession:

- Mystery Jets, Curve of the Earth; then

- The Editors, In Dream.

Now: White Denim, Stiff.

Can't stop playing them, to the point where I want to shout to everyone how excellent they are. So here I am, shouting: listen to them, they're awesome!

Apologies if there's already a thread for this thought, but anyone else get the same thing and if so which albums?
    Last edited by Jyaque; 10th July 2016 at 22:14.

Master
    There's a thread here, although not specifically for albums:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...u-listening-to

I find I very rarely listen to whole albums now which is a shame I guess, but such is the way with playlists, random play etc.

Craftsman
    Don't think i've seen another thread along the same vein so i'll feed this one...

Elbow - The Takeoff And Landing Of Everything
    Haim - Days Are Gone (I like to revisit this one, it's such a good debut)
    RHCP - The Getaway. Because I really want to like it. I really do. But it's difficult... it just seems like B-sides bookmarked by three or four good songs.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I find I very rarely listen to whole albums now which is a shame I guess, but such is the way with playlists, random play etc.
    You're right, it's very easy to make a playlist of songs that you know are all good tracks. I.e. no skippers. However sometimes there are albums that you can only listen to in full, to appreciate the journey ;-)

Craftsman
    I'm having a bit of an ELO fetish at the moment.

Well I realise im in my fifties..but ..these are both old albums, been playing them lots recently though.

Dire Straits Brothers In Arms

Leonard Cohen Songs From A Room.

Craftsman
    Dark side of the moon.

Loving this already. Will look up Leonard Cohen and ELO. Your suggestion for which album to start with for ELO?

Massive yes to all the rest!
    Last edited by Jyaque; 10th July 2016 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    ...sometimes there are albums that you can only listen to in full, to appreciate the journey ;-)
    Couldn't agree more.

My bloody wife moaning;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Creedance Clearwater revival..........that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyaque View Post
    Loving this already. Will look up Leonard Cohen and ELO. Your suggestion for which album to start with for ELO?

Massive yes to all the rest!
    I've been digging a bit of Jeff Lynne lately - Out of the Blue is the classic ELO album.

For Leonard Cohen try Songs of Leonard Cohen

I'd say for Leonard Cohen, Various Positions would be a good start; he is a bit more chipper than usual and you get 'Hallelujah', 'Dance me to the end of love' (although admittedly inspired by the orchestra that played at Auschwitz) and 'Coming back to you', three of his best songs ever.

Public Service Broadcasting's "The Race For Space" has been getting a lot of air time recently - headphones on with no distractions! Was fortunate enough to see them live earlier this year, hopefully I'll see them again soon.

Been listening to a lot of Flight Facilities and Rebecca Ferguson as well, and Tears For Fears "Greatest Hits" is on its umpteenth loop in the car.

Oh, and I also echo the thought about listening to compilations, I'm making up a few on Soundcloud and have been adding tracks for a few months.

Travelling Wilbury's Vol 1 & Vol 3 not a bum track between them.

Master
    Reinhold Gliere 'Bronze Horseman Suite & Horn Concerto' BBC Philharmonic

Grand Master
    Yes -Magnification (on purple vinyl)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Albums that need a full earring

HAND CANNOT ERASE by Stephen Wilson brilliant album enhanced by Guthrie Govan's stellar guitar work
    Do yourself a favour and listen to it in full.

Can't go a week without some Feelgood... been like it since 1974!

Banned
    Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill (1991)

Craftsman
    I have been listening to a lot of King Crimson recently .Just incredible music, Red is my favourite piece of music ,if you love great guitar playing you will like it .Aside from that lots of obscure Japanese noise bands .

Master
    Had an annoying Regina Spektor fetish for a while now. Even some albums that I thought were unlistenable to when first played now are rarely off the CD player in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Had an annoying Regina Spektor fetish for a while now. Even some albums that I thought were unlistenable to when first played now are rarely off the CD player in the car.
    Those are the best, though with the free availability of music these days, it's hard to find the time to invest in doing that. Car journeys are perhaps the only way to do it these days.

Personally, I'm stuck on MESHUGGAH - Do Not Look Down. It's not for everyone. Well more like it's for hardly anyone, tbh.

Lost in the Dream by The War on the Drugs. All killer, no filler...

Stay Gold - First Aid Kit. Wonderful album, and it's been on repeat on my commute for over a week now!

Cosi Fan Tutte

If you only listen to one Mozart opera....

Master
    Gregory Porter, any of his CD's but at the moment Take me to the Alley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj5z4SbrH20
    Sublime

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Stay Gold - First Aid Kit. Wonderful album, and it's been on repeat on my commute for over a week now!
    Quality.. been listening to this too, after i noticed one of the songs on an advert soundtrack, shazzamed it and the rest is history...

The Struts - Everybody Wants....

Loved this album from the first listen - not a bad track on it. These guys are already getting a huge reputation in the USA but have barely scratched the surface over here. Saw them in a (admittedly sold out) 500 capacity venue in their home town (ish - guitarists home town and place where they wrote many of the songs on the album) in Derby last week and they really can play / put on a show too.

I'd encourage anyone who likes 70's inspired sing-a-long rock songs to give them a listen. They're not totally derivative but have quite a bit of Queen about them, with more than a hint of Slade too along with a few others. I've not been this excited about a new band or album for quite a few years.

Craftsman
    Music Has The Right To Children - Boards of Canada
    Kid A - Radiohead
    Dropsonde - Biosphere

All require a bit of effort at first, but reward you a little bit more with every listen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post

I find I rarely listen to a whole song now, as I'm always that bit too keen to hear what's next.

Master
    Both of Maverick Sabres albums getting a lot of play time, partly due to me being in a miserable place and him really hitting the spot.

Other end of the scale is Stanton Warriors - Rebel Bass', they are a pair of DJ producers and this albums reminds me of all the great house, electro, and breaKbeat stuff I listened to 20 years ago; brilliant album that makes me want to drive fast.

All fairly recent, loads of older stuff gets airtime too. Can also recommend the Gregory Porter albums. Going to see Jill Scott on Saturday so will hit her on Spotify tomorrow.

Anything from the Defected label or anything by Marc Kinchen (MK).

I'd be surprised if anyone shared my taste!

Craftsman
    Loving this thread, Stay Gold and Mystery Jets have been sampled on the spinner today while I was writing documents. Enjoyed both!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Public Service Broadcasting's "The Race For Space" has been getting a lot of air time recently.
    I listen to this a lot recently too,.. which leads to this:

Star of my listening pleasure at the moment are Go-Go Penguin - V2.0. It's my sublime night driving and afternoon concentration tunes.

I have a very varied taste in music and have mostly been listening to these;

Band of horses - Cease to begin
    Bring me the horizon - That's the spirit & There is a hell......
    Catfish and the bottlemen - The balcony
    Empire of the sun - Walking on a dream
    Major lazer - Peace is the mission
    Rishloo - Feathergun
    Tool - 10,000 days

Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Anything from the Defected label or anything by Marc Kinchen (MK).

I'd be surprised if anyone shared my taste!
    Youd be surprised; along with the soul stuff I'm also a big house fan & have a couple of old compilations on defected. Mainly into US vocal house like Frankie Knuckles, along with UK stuff like Faithless & Underworld. You should check out the Stanton Warriors album mentioned above.