closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Book Recommendation: ‘The Wristwatch Handbook'

Christmas Book Recommendation: ‘The Wristwatch Handbook'

Having seen a review on QuillAndPad ( http://quillandpad.com/2016/10/25/bo...-ryan-schmidt/ ), I bought a copy as an impulse buy (cheaper than another watch!). I can honestly say that this is a great resource (as well as a great coffee-table book, with loads of fantastic illustrations), especially if you want a good account of how the various parts of a watch work and how they work together (including an account for most complications!). I bought it on Amazon from one of their co-vendors at under £35 (the RRP in the UK is £50), but hints to friends or relatives, given the approach of Christmas, might yield results! Some of you may have come across the author (as iamcalledryan) on various blogs and he also contributes to QuillAndPad (which could have given the Q&P reviewer, Elizabeth Doerr, a somewhat biased view - though, in this case, I think that is not so).

p.s. There is also a website for the book which tells you rather more ( http://thewristwatchhandbook.com/welcome/ ) - on which note I should probably add that I have no connection (other than the occasional blog exchange) with the author!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 16th November 2016 at 11:45.

Looks really good. Thanks for the heads up.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the headsup, added to my wishlist, now all I need to do is drop a hint or ten!

Craftsman
    I've been reviewing watch related books to buy online for a while but couldn't find anything that looked worthwhile purchasing and were a reasonable price.

However, this looks great and I will be adding it to the Xmas list, so the wife will be happy! (If I can wait that long).

Cheers, ordered!

Talking

Hi chaps!

First, I want to say thank you to WatchIng for pulling all of that info together so succinctly!

Second, for those that have already purchased the book, I am excited to hear your thoughts on it and I hope you enjoy it!

Third, if anyone has any questions about the book go ahead and ask and I will get back to you.

Finally (!), I was an infrequent lurker here some years ago, but this is my first post and my first stop in a long time. I look forward to pitching in!

R

Hi Ryan, being recently bitten by the watch bug I'm learning all the time and really looking forward to reading your book!

Master
    I am going to ask for that for Christmas; my partner has got into watches a bit, so she will enjoy the pictures....probably not the techie bits. I have learnt from her that there are very different ways of assessing watches. For some, the technical bit can be irrelevant. These sort of books stand or fall by their physical attractiveness. Bit like watches themselves for many consumers.
    Anyway, I look forward to a good read.
    Actually, I am too impatient, so I have jut ordered It on Amazon. Thsnks for the heads up. Nb: maybe a later edition could have a chapter on the key Quartz developments.p
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th October 2016 at 14:56.

Craftsman
    Amazon has it at an offer price of £32.50 currently

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Hi Ryan, being recently bitten by the watch bug I'm learning all the time and really looking forward to reading your book!
    Thanks Japester - by the time you make your way through the book I guarantee you will be upgrading your status to fully fledged enthusiast!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I am going to ask for that for Christmas; my partner has got into watches a bit, so she will enjoy the pictures....probably not the techie bits. I have learnt from her that there are very different ways of assessing watches. For some, the technical bit can be irrelevant. These sort of books stand or fall by their physical attractiveness. Bit like watches themselves for many consumers.
    Anyway, I look forward to a good read.
    Actually, I am too impatient, so I have jut ordered It on Amazon. Thsnks for the heads up. Nb: maybe a later edition could have a chapter on the key Quartz developments.p
    lol I love how your impulse took over before you had even finished writing!

You're absolutely right (your partner too) that there are different ways to assess the quality of a watch. My personal tastes run the gamut, from a well-cased interesting design that houses a generic workhorse movement, to leading edge innovation, to the purest of handmade craftsmanship - and the watches in the book reflect that range for sure!

Re Quartz, I do actually take the time to explain the principles of the Quartz movement at the end of Section 1, and I talk about some of the more interesting Quartz and hybrid movements from the tuning fork to the spring drive etc. I think there are some remarkable Quartz or hybrid movements out there despite many mech enthusiasts' aversion to them.

Craftsman
    Ordered. Thanks for info.

Oh! Go on then!

I'll order one today.

K.

Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    Amazon has it at an offer price of £32.50 currently
    Placed it into my basket, though it did delivery could be 1-3 weeks.

Thanks to the OP for the heads and the link to another web source for watches :))

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Placed it into my basket, though it did delivery could be 1-3 weeks.

Thanks to the OP for the heads and the link to another web source for watches :))
    My pleasure - always satisfying to share one's finds, and, the more I read of this one, the more pleased I am that I bought it. I don't think anyone who tries it will be disappointed!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 31st October 2016 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Thanks for that! Cancelled my Amazon order, got it cheaper and it's coming sooner!

Thanks for that! Cancelled my Amazon order, got it cheaper and it's coming sooner!
    Excellent. Good to help a fellow TZer.

Books etc quote dispatch in 1-3 days.

^^^^
    Excellent thanks for the information. Will do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy reading gents!

Re Booksetc, perhaps people could share/confirm their experiences wth them because they are not an authorized distributor and do not have valid details of the book on the website. Want to make sure it's actually my book you are getting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcalledryan View Post
    Happy reading gents!

Re Booksetc, perhaps people could share/confirm their experiences wth them because they are not an authorized distributor and do not have valid details of the book on the website. Want to make sure it's actually my book you are getting!!
    Yikes!

What should i look out for?

JP

Journeyman
    thanks for the heads up, looks right up my street

Ditto, thanks for the pointer...and thanks to the OP for the heads up.

I'm particularly interested to find out what the author means by "Lapses of Time" (Section 2.1 and listing in the index...as shown on Amazon's Look inside).

Yikes!

What should i look out for?

JP

You will know that the book is the book by comparing it to the details on my website (www.thewristwatchhandbook.com) or on Amazon. Aside from that, I want to make sure that the book comes plastic wrapped and in brand-new condition - no dings and scratches etc. Delivery timings will also be worth reporting. Some of these websites make speculative offers of discounts without actually holding stock, then when they accumulate enough buys they try to leverage that discount from the source. If for example they do not take enough orders to leverage the discount, they will just cancel on you.

R

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Ditto, thanks for the pointer...and thanks to the OP for the heads up.

I'm particularly interested to find out what the author means by "Lapses of Time" (Section 2.1 and listing in the index...as shown on Amazon's Look inside).

Hello Mr B,

Lapses of time is essentially a home for the full family of chronograph complications - so Tachy/Telemetre/Pulsometer/Asthmometer scales, flyback, rattrapante, regatta, specialized timers, foudroyante, high precision etc. It also contains some details about column wheel and cam actuation, monopushers, vertical and horizontal clutch, and dial layout. It's a good'n!

R

Master
    Blog Entries
    The author must have big hands!

You will know that the book is the book by comparing it to the details on my website (www.thewristwatchhandbook.com) or on Amazon. Aside from that, I want to make sure that the book comes plastic wrapped and in brand-new condition - no dings and scratches etc. Delivery timings will also be worth reporting. Some of these websites make speculative offers of discounts without actually holding stock, then when they accumulate enough buys they try to leverage that discount from the source. If for example they do not take enough orders to leverage the discount, they will just cancel on you.

R
    Good to hear it comes plastic wrapped!

Not too happy with Amazon's book packing TBH and seldom does a book arrive pristine w/o a bent corner, crushed spine or something similar. Not helped by often just being shoved through the letterbox onto a hard floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The author must have big hands!
    LOL I am honestly surprised that you are the first person I have seen mention this! As I was writing the book and it became clear that the book was going to be so big and heavy, I considered revising the title. However, I decided that a handbook does not have to be literal, instead it can simply be a reference work. I really liked the title because you have the repetition and flow of 'wrist' and 'hand' with 'watch' and 'book'.

Happy reading gents!

Hello Ryan and welcome to the forum...in an active role.

I'm not sure what you mean by "valid details". This is what Booksetc are showing:

For some reason they have edited the picture of the cover to have a white, rather than black, background, but is not the rest of their info correct?

What I hadn't remembered is that BOOKS etc was the online siter for Borders a firm that went into administration back in 2010. Wiki reports that the name was "bought by The Capital Organisation" and that firm appears to be a bit suspect. The business seems to have passed to Books Etc Limited, the latest name for another Capital company. It seems that they may be a form of grey market book seller. We'll have to see how I, and others on here, get on with them.

I'll report back on this thread...

Hello Mr B,

Lapses of time is essentially a home for the full family of chronograph complications - so Tachy/Telemetre/Pulsometer/Asthmometer scales, flyback, rattrapante, regatta, specialized timers, foudroyante, high precision etc. It also contains some details about column wheel and cam actuation, monopushers, vertical and horizontal clutch, and dial layout. It's a good'n!

R
    Thanks for that...I'm looking forward to getting a copy to read.

Hi PickleB,

Thanks for the welcome! Re Booksetc, the vitals seem right but that is not my cover; not even a white background version. I am meeting with my publisher this week and will run it by them to see what is going on.

I remember Borders! Perhaps these guys are more legit than some of the others, but I guess you guys will be the judge of that!

R

Hi PickleB,

Thanks for the welcome! Re Booksetc, the vitals seem right but that is not my cover; not even a white background version. I am meeting with my publisher this week and will run it by them to see what is going on.

I remember Borders! Perhaps these guys are more legit than some of the others, but I guess you guys will be the judge of that!

R
    I see what you mean about the cover picture. I've only just found About US page for BOOKS etc, they are upfront about their history:

BOOKS etc is an UK online business that is based in Fleet, Hampshire. We are a family run company that aims to bring customers a fantastic selection of books with great prices, fast delivery and friendly helpful customer service.

We work closely with publishers to highlight both the latest titles and older books that you may have missed first time around.

BOOKS etc Ltd launched in 2010 when we bought the BOOKS etc and the Borders UK database out of administration and we've been going strong ever since!

BOOKS ETC Ltd is registered in England and Wales and has the company number 6687355. Registered address: BOOKSetc, 8 Kings Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3AD.

I have bought top end hardback books from Books Etc previously, and always received exactly what I ordered. It appears that they sell a lot through Amazon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Good to hear it comes plastic wrapped!

Not too happy with Amazon's book packing TBH and seldom does a book arrive pristine w/o a bent corner, crushed spine or something similar. Not helped by often just being shoved through the letterbox onto a hard floor.
    Mine arrived (in 3 days) from an Amazon co-vendor; plastic-wrapped and essentially in perfect condition.

I have bought top end hardback books from Books Etc previously, and always received exactly what I ordered. It appears that they sell a lot through Amazon too.
    Then I say go for it and I hope you enjoy the book!

Well I've mentioned it to the Mrs. and emailed her a link! One christmas present ticked off..

Cheers,

Plug

Hi guys,

I have confirmed with my publisher that BooksEtc are a full-blown partner of ours and despite the wrong image of the cover on the site, it's a fully legit way to buy and enjoy the book at a great price.

Merry Horological Christmas!

Hi guys,

I have confirmed with my publisher that BooksEtc are a full-blown partner of ours and despite the wrong image of the cover on the site, it's a fully legit way to buy and enjoy the book at a great price.

Fantastic news Cheers Ryan.

Dispatched today, so should arrive soon

Craftsman
    Thanks for confirming this Ryan - have copied another poster and emailed a link to Mother Christmas!

Hi guys,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for that info. Duly ordered for SWMBO to put in my Christmas stocking!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Ditto, thanks for the pointer...and thanks to the OP for the heads up...
    Happy reading gents!

Hi guys,

RM have just delivered my copy which I had to sign for. I'm happy to report that it's shrink wrapped and in pristine condition.

Now for a read...

Mines just arrived too!

Shrink wrapped and pristine

Craftsman
    Oh go on then! Another purchase coming your way from me!

Or maybe to add to the xmas list its getting bought one way or another!!

Craftsman

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Just ordered a copy.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Great news guys!

Japester, thanks for the update - let me know your first impressions.

Magirus - thanks for the welcome and I hope you get what you wish for!

Xanx and EJL25 - ENJOY!

R

Hi guys,

I thought I would share some fun pics of my copy of the book out in the wild. I must confess, the pic-posting process here is terrifying so I am not in the least bit confident that this will work...
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys,

I thought I would share some fun pics of my copy of the book out in the wild. I must confess, the pic-posting process here is terrifying so I am not in the least bit confident that this will work...

Well it's certainly going on my Christmas list...

Simon