closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estate agents is it me or are they really this bad

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I was always a northern agent, where sole agency is the norm, but the multiple listing process is common practice in the south and many other parts of the world.

Basically, the agent who gets the instruction acts as main agent, then the seller (or agent with sellers consent) can appoint as many others as they wish. The main agent and the agent who introduces the eventual buyer will share the fee at a pre-agreed split. The remainder will get nothing (usually).

The problem with this is the agents will often mistrust each other as they all want some of the fee, so contact the seller directly, make up their own ‘strategy’ (read change the price to get more enquiries) and generally faff around. Some agents will attempt to sell properties which they are not actually instructed to do - they live in the hope if they turn up with a buyer, the seller will ‘cut them in’.

The sad thing is, if a seller makes the correct choice of agent in the first place, they can stick with one and usually pay less.

Like many things - life in the south is different and to be honest, where agents get the most slagging off.
    Jeezz ....I've thought the process of moving was stressful enough without having that to contend with that as well.

Glad it's simple up here

On the flip side .....I suppose the extra exposure could generate a sale which is either faster , bigger or both !

I think where he went wrong is going straight in with an asking price offer. It would scream to me that a) you REALLY want that house, and b) chances are that your offer is not the top of your budget, both of which mean they'll try and screw you for more

Brighty

Banned
    my estate agents seem to be the exception to the rule [though in general it does attract a certain kind of person].

I was called with an update of what they have done so far today
    my house is on line in a very professional manner [I did guide the photographer a little to take the best views]
    then 20 minutes later another call for another viewing tomorrow

top stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I think where he went wrong is going straight in with an asking price offer. It would scream to me that a) you REALLY want that house, and b) chances are that your offer is not the top of your budget, both of which mean they'll try and screw you for more

Brighty
    Erm probably depends on the property and the market. My flat was listed on the Monday, I viewed it on the Weds, 2 asking price offers by the Sat and under offer on Sun. Clearly the seller could have tried for more but he wanted it to be sold quickly and that was what happened. If you aren't interested in selling for in any timescale, you can wait until offers 10-20% above the asking price appear but you could be some time. If the asking price is realistic for the property being marketed then why should it be sold for less.

I have viewed/made initial offers below asking on properties I felt were not worth the asking and have made an initial offer above the asking for those that I felt were under priced. (In the case of the latter, the property went for 10-15% above asking price within a couple of weeks so clearly someone felt it was worth a greater amount above the asking price than I did!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Brighty
    Not really - depends on the area - where I live if you don't go asking price straight off or above you don't stand a chance. I couldn't put an offer in even though the sale of my property was agreed at one place.
    I exchanged only a month ago and at the open house there were over 20 people.
    As with all commercial stuff it's supply and demand. I sold my last property to the first person that viewed in a private sale.

I've only bought the once and pulled out of my first purchase after the survey (at which point they threatened to sue the bank-appointed surveyor), but at least down here it pays to use a relatively independent agent to sell your house. The bigger names were all falling over themselves for the work, to the point that on viewings I was being ferried around the corner to be shown houses that I'd already discounted in my search so they could tell clients they'd had viewings or finding myself on dual viewings (deliberate sales tactic) with a junior agent who knew nothing of the particulars of the property. Granted, I was right at the bottom end of the market but I didn't deal with one agency who gave me any faith - even collecting the keys on my completion the office staff didn't seem to know where the paperwork was. I'm just going to chalk it up to buying at the bottom from sellers who used a cheap agency!

I used Your Move last year. They were fantastic and I couldn't have coped without them. Genuinely.

Worth every penny I paid them.

Banned
    I just had another viewing and detailed update.

Mines a good un

He has found another one and had his offer accepted, this time with the seller and then the agent, the Right move listing is marked sold, so hopefully it will all go through smoothly, obviously its not done till its done.

The thing I didn't realise was that all of the stuff on the radio and TV about first time buyers homes seems to be rubbish, in Essex and Hertfordshire there are a lot of second and third houses but the number of attainable first time properties is negligible, and the prices are stupid.

can anyone explain stamp duty, what is the point of the first two bands in the south? my sons first home is in the third, it seems there are very few houses in the second, just a few run down ex council houses in some very dodgy areas and non in the first. surely as house prices are geographic why isn't stamp duty? the south already looses out massively with minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    can anyone explain stamp duty, what is the point of the first two bands in the south? my sons first home is in the third, it seems there are very few houses in the second, just a few run down ex council houses in some very dodgy areas and non in the first. surely as house prices are geographic why isn't stamp duty? the south already looses out massively with minimum wage.
    Just an excuse for the government to bring in as much money as they can, they could adjust the bandings at almost any time if they wanted to. If anything, the abolition of the hard cap for a tiered cap at £250k was a huge mistake, as soon as it happened all the houses being pegged at £250k as an incentive to sell suddenly upped to £260-275k overnight and are now somewhere around £310k down here, so the government is getting as much money as it ever did. Bit like inheritence tax, it was supposed to tax the genuinely wealthy but is instead a tax on the sale of the familial home that in most cases, was never owned by anyone with money.