closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex Daytona Meteorite dial.....

Hybrid View

Thoughts on the Rolex Daytona Meteorite dial.....

I posted recently about getting an Everose Chocolate dial Daytona and have been back to the AD a few times to try it on and I'm not 100% convinced. I have since come across a White Gold Daytona with the meteorite dial which looks quite beautiful to me, the model reference is 116509, I would be interested in the strap version.
    Every dial is unique and is made from the infamous Gibeon meteorite that I believe Omega have also utilised in some of their Speedmaster models, has anyone any experience on this particulalry unusual Daytona, I think it's discontinued ?

Picture from the web, Rolex Daytona Meteorite dial 116519.
    Last edited by shalako; 22nd December 2016 at 16:16.

Nice but the Omega Grey Side meteorite dial is IMHO streets ahead

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Generally lovely, each one unique and yes, still listed on the Nov' 2016 UK price list at £30,600.

Haywood

Craftsman
    Oh God no. It may be an amazing natural material but it does nothing for me.

Grand Master
    Good looking watch and nice to get the weight of the gold with a Daytona that makes it feels bigger than it is, equally good is the racing dials.
    RIAC

The case as a whole and hands are nice.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nice but the Omega Grey Side meteorite dial is IMHO streets ahead

Couldn't disagree more (sorry, Ryan). The Daytona is precious metal, and the movement is superior IMO... it's also a lot better looking, which isn't immediately obvious from the photo chosen to illustrate it.

I've come close to buying this version of the Daytona more than once, and absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Couldn't disagree more (sorry, Ryan). The Daytona is precious metal, and the movement is superior IMO... it's also a lot better looking, which isn't immediately obvious from the photo chosen to illustrate it.

I've come close to buying this version of the Daytona more than once, and absolutely love it.
    Obviously everyone has their own opinion which is great otherwise we would all own the same watch and that would be boring :)

The one thing I'd advise to be careful on is saying the Daytona movement is superior. I would say that it isn't a matter of opinion here that the Omega 9300/9400 movement is the best chronograph movement in the Sub £20k segment - I would say that a scientific fact not opinion. Power reserve, magnetic resistance, service intervals etc. That being said very few people make their buying decision on the movement alone otherwise nobody would buy a Milgauss and they would all buy Aqua Terras instead :)

Either way both lovely watches and I would be happy to own either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that it isn't a matter of opinion here that the Omega 9300/9400 movement is the best chronograph movement in the Sub £20k segment - I would say that a scientific fact not opinion.
    Unless you want to be able to read the minutes totaliser of your chrono, in which case chronos with 30 minute subdials suddenly look a better option. Writing "scientific fact" in front of your opinion doesn't magically turn it from an opinion into anything else.

Last edited by Der Amf; 24th December 2016 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Unless you want to be able to read the minutes totaliser of your chrono, in which case chronos with 30 minute subdials suddenly look a better option. Writing "scientific fact" in front of your opinion doesn't magically turn it from an opinion into anything else.
    No problem. Each to their own. Both watches are lovely anyway and I'd be happy to wear either.

[...]The one thing I'd advise to be careful on is saying the Daytona movement is superior. I would say that it isn't a matter of opinion here that the Omega 9300/9400 movement is the best chronograph movement in the Sub £20k segment - I would say that a scientific fact not opinion. Power reserve, magnetic resistance, service intervals etc. [...]
    Regrets, but you appear to have your scientific facts wrong. Not that specifications tell anything about the actual quality, but the 9300 has a shorter power reserve (60 h vs. Rolex's 72 h). It also has an unenviable service record, plus it's thick as a brick and far less refined.

Omega's tarted-up ETA movement really shows its mundane roots and cost-cutting nature once you look under the flashy visible bits, too. Rolex's 4130 movement is far superior.
    Last edited by Belligero; 24th December 2016 at 15:13.

It's a very tricky watch to photograph but the Meteorite Daytona is something of a Grail for me ever since I first laid eyes on one.... It really is a watch that needs to be seen in person, the dial is mesmerising and quite stunning.
    What also intrigues is that the dial is real Meteorite and is literally out of this world! The Gibeon meteorite from which the dial has been made has apparently been radiometer tested and found to be 4 Billion years old. It hit the earth when the earth was a mere infant at about 500,00 years old. The earth is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old now. It was found in Africa in the late 1800's I believe.

There is something very unique in being able to say your watch dial is 4 billion years old! A great conversation piece and I particularly like the fact that no two dials are the same, I don't think there are too many out there and as this dial has now been discontinued I don't think there's much chance of coming across to many in the wild.

Interesting debate about the Rolex 4130 and Omega 9300 movements, the other chronograph in my collection is an Omega Liquid Metal Planet Ocean Titanium Chronograph so I guess I'm neutral in this debate.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Regrets, but you appear to have your scientific facts wrong. Not that specifications tell anything about the actual quality, but the 9300 has a shorter power reserve (60 h vs. Rolex's 72 h). It also has an unenviable service record, plus it's thick as a brick and far less refined.

Omega's tarted-up ETA movement really shows its mundane roots and cost-cutting nature once you look under the flashy visible bits, too. Rolex's 4130 movement is far superior.
    Omega 9300 is one of the most reliable and accurate movements, totally manufactured in-house. I write it from experience, do you?

I don't know in which dream you've seen "unenviable service record" and "tarted-up ETA". Too much hate leads to total BS.

Thoughts on the Rolex Daytona Meteorite dial.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Regrets but you are delusional if you think this. The Daytona movement is agricultural next to the 9300/9400 but that is nothing to be ashamed of. The 9300/9400 is the best mainstream chronograph movement out there (mainstream means not Patek, Lange etc). You saying it isn't doesn't change this fact, nor does me saying it is! Not judged by a horological nobody like me but judged by experts and watchmakers within the industry. Doesn't mean that everyone needs to rush out and get one but it is the fact of the experts that this movement is materially better than that in the watches of the competition. But hey ho, movements aren't everything, some of my favourite watches have ETA movements but please don't try and belittle Omega's achievements and the one area where they have incontestably bettered the competition just because it doesn't sit with your own myopic view if watch hierarchy.

Anyway my point is made, I'm not getting into more arguments on it, if you disagree just do yourself a favour and perform a google search and be careful when you make such statements in future as you have people coming to this site in genuine need of information and guidance and statements like yours may incorrectly inform their opinion.

Master
    That looks great Steve - is this the expensive purchase you just made?

Only my opinion, but don't like the grey dial. Seen them in shop windows and too dull and indistinct for my tastes.

Journeyman
    It may be an amazing material and highly valued but I see it as a waste of a finite resource. Also aesthetically doesn't float my boat.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    It may be an amazing material and highly valued but I see it as a waste of a finite resource.
    But they just fall out of the sky and can be picked up everywhere... ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    But they just fall out of the sky and can be picked up everywhere... ;-)
    Not all that rare as a material but the etching carried out to reveal the microstructure is impressive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Each to their own, etc, but It does absolutely nothing for me. Sorry, Steve.

I like these a lot and have looked at purchasing in the past - my one bit of advice is that the dials can be quite different (given the natural variation) my preference was for more 'big striations' as it gives a bolder appearance.

Sadly never found one I was happy with, at a price I was happy with. Lots available in the us but with exchange rates and import duties they are far less attractive than a year ago.

Good luck and do,let us see pictures if you go ahead.

Apprentice
    Looks good on a strap. I think an all white gold bracelet would be too much.

Master
    Stunning watch and the dial changes dramatically, in the light and angle.

Nice dial, but like others I agree that less would be more - get rid of the numbers and just have simple markers so you can see more of the dial.

Grand Master
    Novelty value, but aesthetically a mess IMO.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Nice dial, but like others I agree that less would be more - get rid of the numbers and just have simple markers so you can see more of the dial.
    I agree, too busy with the numbers.

Journeyman
    Apart from the roman numerals its a very pretty and unique piece, and most people will never spot this one "in the wild". That said i like the chocolate better - very harmonic paired with the rose gold case. :)

Master
    I am sure that this will be super-desirable to some but the dial just looks a bit busy / cluttered to me.

Hmmm... when it's been proven over time I may alter my opinion, Ryan. However, right now the Rolex movement is considered one of the greatest chronograph movements ever made so it'll do for me.

I know you're an Omega man, and I actually have two myself (and no modern Rolex whatsoever)... let's just agree that they're both pretty decent watches :)

Master
    Have to say having owned the Daytona, it is sublime and very stealth, I also like the different shades it took up in the sun.

No worries. Each to their own. Suppose some of you still believe in Santa too:)

Master
    No worries. Each to their own. Suppose some of you still believe in Santa too:)

What are you trying to say??

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    What are you trying to say??
    Just that life is too short and people can believe what they want.

Either way, first world problems and the Daytona is a beauty regardless of whether the Omega movement is superior or not.

Master

Talking

Just that life is too short and people can believe what they want.

Either way, first world problems and the Daytona is a beauty regardless of whether the Omega movement is superior or not.

Phew....thank god for that.......for a minute there I thought you were suggesting there's no such thing as Santa