closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Car?

What Car?

It's been a while since I seen a what car thread - well maybe a week or so.

Any way, I'm probably going to change my daily driver. I'd like something sporty ish, but nothing too crazy or expensive. Any suggestions for something fun. Must be capable of carrying 4 - at least 2 in comfort, preferably all 4.

I took out a Mini 210 yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. I've also been looking at the great deals on a new Golf GTI before they introduce the mild facelift. I also tried the M235i, but wasn't overly impressed at all. Tried a higher powered X4 too which was alright but nothing more than that.

I love the VW DSG box, so I'm inclined to go for an automatic for my next car (I already have a golf TDI with DSG in Oz, which is perfect for the long distance miles I cover when I'm out there), but I'd rather a petrol car over here, and we have no motorways or dual carriageways really, but also no speed limits outside most of the built up areas.

It would take the place of an Audi A4 TDI estate, and I have a Boxster S in the garage if that helps narrow the choices.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 30th December 2016 at 20:59.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    What kind of budget Scott?

Do you want new or will second hand do?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Golf R?

Master
    Blog Entries
    FWIW if you are after a GTI, I was offered one with DSG box and competition pack (I think this brings it to 229bhp) for around 22.5% off list last week, that worked about at £24K (7K discount).

Master
    MX 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What kind of budget Scott?

As cheap as possible ;).

Do you want new or will second hand do?
    Maybe set a limit of £25k, giver or take. I'd like new/full warranty for hassle free motoring, but open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Golf R?
    Yep, I've been looking at them too, and price no object I came to the conclusion I'd pay slightly more and get the S3.

They were both coming out at fair prices compared the the GTI last year, hit now it's a different price point - around £6-£9k more with the same spec.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    FWIW if you are after a GTI, I was offered one with DSG box and competition pack (I think this brings it to 229bhp) for around 22.5% off list last week, that worked about at £24K (7K discount).
    Yes, I've been quoted today around 21-23% off depending on spec. The Golf R was around 15-16% off.

One thing in specs is I'd probably be happy with the GTI tartan interior, but I'd want leather if I had the R - so even more money. I have the Vienna leather in my Golf diesel, and it's a fairly nice place to be.

I thought there might be great lease deals, but haven't seen anything out there yet - not sure if they usual farm out end of production models or not.

One other thing with the GTI would be, the saving would equate to around £7,500 off RRP, which I doubt there would be any saving off the new model in at least the first year. Plus 2016 GTI's with the Peforman Pack aren't cheap enough against a new one.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 30th December 2016 at 21:49.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've become a massive Cooper S convert.
    Mine came with JCW tuning and exhaust which upped it to I think 204 or 208 bhp. I can only imagine the kick on a proper JCW model. I believe they're around 25k new.

The exhaust and tuning would make the mini the same as the 210 I took out yesterday. Nice compliant ride, and for fun I had the exhaust valve open over the mountain road :)

I was overtaken by a Golf R though, which only just pulled in in time to miss oncoming traffic!

I really like the the look of your new one when you posted the pics. I'm not sure there would be too much difference between the full 231bhp and the 210, and I'm assuming it's just a fuel map.

Craftsman
    Can recommend a JCW Mini for the fun factor on your roads, but they are a bit small for four. And get rid of the run flats if they still come fitted with them....totally different car on decent, normal tyres.

I'd also recommend a Golf R. I test drove the R, GTI & S3 and preferred the R. Mine came about six weeks ago and it's better than I expected. Performance and handling are brilliant. Very practical, well finished, good to drive any distance and understated in appearance. Great noise too, especially in Race or Individual mode! Launch Control is amazing!!

OK here are my two stock answers: (i) Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B. (ii) a Lotus - Europa SE if you want depreciation free motoring (if you can find one).

You can keep your FWD, harsh riding minis!

If considering the VAG uberhatches, cast a glance at the upcoming Seat Cupra 300 DSG. Keenly priced - 24K should get you a brand spankers with no bother, and it's something a little different. No tartan and quicker than a GTI :)

Plus one for the Mini Cooper S Works JCW Tuning & Blue tooth Exhaust. Sold my Boxster earlier this year, drove the Mini, new MX5, GT86 and Fiesta ST. The Mini won by a country mile, only complaint is that in this very cold, damp weather, it struggles to put down 210ps/300Nm through the front wheels, on the upside, the TC isn't too intrusive and the throttle response is suberbly linear and adjustable. No regrets from me at all. Great car.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The exhaust and tuning would make the mini the same as the 210 I took out yesterday. Nice compliant ride, and for fun I had the exhaust valve open over the mountain road :)

I was overtaken by a Golf R though, which only just pulled in in time to miss oncoming traffic!

I really like the the look of your new one when you posted the pics. I'm not sure there would be too much difference between the full 231bhp and the 210, and I'm assuming it's just a fuel map.
    Yes. I am a total non expert. Has the exhaust button, different pipes, and the engine has been remapped.
    Doesnt have the body kit tho.
    I love it. Particularly the elongate seat shelf thing for long journeys and the other mod cons and disco lights that I was never accustomed to.

Plus the sports mode mode makes me cackle.

The Seat is £31k plus options, a new one would probably only have a few £k's off. So still the best part of £30k or more!

That could get a Golf R comfortably. The GTI with performance pack, would come in at around £23k albeit with no options but DSG, but they are well specked, and I think better standard spec than the R, and £25k-£26k and a bit for my favoured specs.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Yes. I am a total non expert. Has the exhaust button, different pipes, and the engine has been remapped.
    Doesnt have the body kit tho.
    I love it. Particularly the elongate seat shelf thing for long journeys and the other mod cons and disco lights that I was never accustomed to.

Plus the sports mode mode makes me cackle.
    Mine has full JCW Style pack and 18" JCW Black alloys, so the only visual give away is the unpainted brake calipers. TBH IMO the Cooper S has a nicer chassis than the full JCW model, but then again you could option that with adaptive dampers. Most reviews concur the Cooper S Works 210 is the sweet spot in the range. I love mine, it's epic.

Master
    The Seat is £31k plus options, a new one would probably only have a few £k's off. So still the best part of £30k or more!

That could get a Golf R comfortably. The GTI with performance pack, would come in at around £23k albeit with no options but DSG, but they are well specked, and I think better standard spec than the R, and £25k-£26k and a bit for my favoured specs.
    Take a look at Carwow/drivethedeal, there were huge discounts available on the Seat when I was looking. I test drove one and liked it a lot albeit the styling/image isn't great.

Why didn't you like the M235i out of interest, I drove the M135i and loved it to bits, once I realised 6.5k discounts were available it was a no brainer...two years in I still love it. No doubt a Golf R would leave it for dead on a wet B road, but I'd be having more fun...

Crazily, the M235i didn't feel very quick to me, and the handling was a little light on braking - I've grown up being able to play on very quiet roads (not like that so much anymore, which is a shame) with no speed limits, an the BM just wasnt as reassuring a drive as I would have liked - I would have been significantly quicker in my Boxster S for example. That said that fastest thing I've ever driven on these uneven roads was my sorted, probably somewhere between 350-400bhp Subaru P1, after I had it rebuilt when my brother borrowed it and blew the engine :( it was faster than a Ferrari 360 until I'd hit around 110mph.

Any way, back on point. I'm looking on both Car Wow and Drive the Deal and have had lots of quotes over the last couple of weeks.

My first car was a Golf GTI Cab, so I have a soft spot for the Golf I guess, and I loved my Audi Quattro. So choices are now down to. Golf R, or Golf GTI PP (both in DSG), or a Mini. What gearbox is in the Mini? The manual was ok, but I think I'd prefer an auto being spoilt by DSG lately. Is the Mini auto any good? The kids aren't 6 footers, and unlikely to be - they take after their mother, thankfully ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, what specs are recommended in the Golf R, and or GTI?

Tech Pack
    Leather
    heated windscreen
    Parking Pack

& do they come with standard heated seats, as I can't see a winter pack offered any more on the configurator
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 31st December 2016 at 01:10.

Craftsman
    Crazily, the M235i didn't feel very quick to me, and the handling was a little light on braking - I've grown up being able to play on very quiet roads (not like that so much anymore, which is a shame) with no speed limits, an the BM just wasnt as reassuring a drive as I would have liked - I would have been significantly quicker in my Boxster S for example. That said that fastest thing I've ever driven on these uneven roads was my sorted, probably somewhere between 350-400bhp Subaru P1, after I had it rebuilt when my brother borrowed it and blew the engine :( it was faster than a Ferrari 360 until I'd hit around 110mph.

Any way, back on point. I'm looking on both Car Wow and Drive the Deal and have had lots of quotes over the last couple of weeks.

My first car was a Golf GTI Cab, so I have a soft spot for the Golf I guess, and I loved my Audi Quattro. So choices are now down to. Golf R, or Golf GTI PP (both in DSG), or a Mini. What gearbox is in the Mini? The manual was ok, but I think I'd prefer an auto being spoilt by DSG lately. Is the Mini auto any good? The kids aren't 6 footers, and unlikely to be - they take after their mother, thankfully ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Tech Pack
    Leather
    heated windscreen
    Parking Pack

& do they come with standard heated seats, as I can't see a winter pack offered any more on the configurator

Not sure on the GTI but the R comes with the winter pack (heated seats & mirrors) as standard now. I just opted for the DSG with my R. The standard seats are very comfy over long distances and very supportive when pushing it. I do miss a heated windscreen though!!

If you are anywhere near Staffordshire any time soon drop me a PM and you can take my R out.

Why not a Polo GTI and save a huge chunk of change?

Do you really need the extra few cm?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Must admit I can't decide between Audi a1s1 and polo gti as polo was as quick as a golf gti in the real world and was offered one speced up for under 20k

Toyota CH-R. Seriously go and have a look. You maybe be pleasantly supprised.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Could be an option. I think it would work,out around £19.5k to spec one up, but you still don't end up with the same kit, and it's 40bhp down. I think,they use the more fragile DSG box too, which puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Must admit I can't decide between Audi a1s1 and polo gti as polo was as quick as a golf gti in the real world and was offered one speced up for under 20k
    The polo is probably quicker 0-60 in manual than the golf. I think VW lied about the figures, as the DSG is detuned in its kick down, and the engine a lot lower torque than the manual. The official figures were 6.7 for both the Polos but I think manuals were timed around 6.1-6.2 (looks like that might be remapped 212bhp cars) What's a golf GTI, with performance pack, 6.5! Although I understand through the gears the Golf is much quicker.

Id love a go in an S1 :)

Im thinking the Golf is just a lot more practical. Easily tuned for another 70bhp too, as the same engine/gearboxes as the R and Clubsport models.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 31st December 2016 at 15:02.

The Seat is £31k plus options, a new one would probably only have a few £k's off.
    You're looking at the wrong broker then...

A cursory glance shows Newcardiscount have the DSG 300 5dr hatch at £24086

Master
    The Golf R is pretty well specc'd in standard form, nav and heated seats are now standard which is different to when I got mine 18 months ago.

The only options I added were paint (pure white), rear camera and keyless start. In hindsight I definitely wouldn't have added keyless and could quite happily live without the camera as front and rear sensors are standard anyway.

Leather I'm not fussed about so for me the only option would be paint, oh and DSG.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    You're looking at the wrong broker then...

A cursory glance shows Newcardiscount have the DSG 300 5dr hatch at £24086
    Thats a little better. Car Wow came to just under £27k for my spec, which was £33k!!!

Actually, possibly quite similar once I add the spec in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    The Golf R is pretty well specc'd in standard form, nav and heated seats are now standard which is different to when I got mine 18 months ago.

The only options I added were paint (pure white), rear camera and keyless start. In hindsight I definitely wouldn't have added keyless and could quite happily live without the camera as front and rear sensors are standard anyway.

Leather I'm not fussed about so for me the only option would be paint, oh and DSG.
    Looks like GTI and R both have winter pack and upgraded options in the last year or so. So maybe just the tech pack and parking pack - only because I want the stereo upgrade and rear view camera, and it's not so much more than buying them separate.

The Golf is coming in around the same price as the Leon 300, so a loss of power, but better equipped. I'm sure a remap would make up most of the difference in the real world performance.

Golf around £25.5k-£28k depending on final spec, and Golf R £30k-£33k

I think even a poverty spec Golf would have a decent level of kit though. Edited, just to add - this spec can be had for just £23k, 5dr, DSG, and performance pack - looks good value to me :)

Now, do I buy a current model at favourable run out discounts, or consider the mild update due April/May at who knows how much - and possibly a lot more than I like for run around car budget though.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 31st December 2016 at 16:55.

Much depends on how big 'the other 2' are or will become in your ownership!

Both the 235 and the Mini aren't exactly roomy in the back so the Golf looks a better bet (or Seat equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Much depends on how big 'the other 2' are or will become in your ownership!

Both the 235 and the Mini aren't exactly roomy in the back so the Golf looks a better bet (or Seat equivalent).
    Surprisingly, there was more headroom in the 235 compared to a 435i, slightly less leg room though - shame as I like the 4 series. Local dealer has a crazily specc'd up used 4 in for £59,995!

Blog Entries
    Just go the R route you will not be disappointed.

Wifey has a manual and we have a second one a DSG coming in March to replace.

These are incredible little cars as I have muted many times on TZ.

Pitch

I know, I know, but not sure I'd notice much of the benefits in my day to day driving between the two. But maybe I should just do it.

What are thoughts on current model, at a very good discount, or the facelift due in a few months?

Blog Entries
    The book is now closed I should think on the current model, mine is leased and needs to replaced in March so i could not hang on but I am more than happy with another current on the horizon.

I have not seen anything on the new model but would think an increase to 310ps in line with the S3.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I had a similar situation and looked at the R estate, but as has been pointed out, they were unable to fulfil my order from stock. So in the end after various trips to dealers I went with a 340i touring, with a decent discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The book is now closed I should think on the current model, mine is leased and needs to replaced in March so i could not hang on but I am more than happy with another current on the horizon.

I have not seen anything on the new model but would think an increase to 310ps in line with the S3.

Pitch
    Looks that way. The estate version of the R is available to order of the VW German site, at 310ps.

Partner had a PP GTi which we covered 50k miles in in less than 3 years which had the adaptive dampers, now have an R without. The difference is night and day. I would highly recommend that option and especially if you decide to opt for the 19" wheels over the very fruity looking 18" standard wheels.

Great cars though,at home on track or going to the shops.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Discovery 4

That's a very left field choice ;)

Im considering 4x4's for the farm (well the local roads and events rather than farm work), but probably won't need one until next year.

Master
    I had to lose the mx5 as needed a more practical car.
    Looked at lots of hot hatches & finally went for 208 git by PS.
    Like the fact not many on roads near me & they do not shout look at me.
    Plus side surprisingly quick when needed & frugal when not booting it.
    Wife has a new sportage & that is excellent car for someone who needs a big space, actually drives superb.

My new car is sitting at the dealers , so this one has to go !!!!!............still haven't sorted out what I am going to do with it , so it's available till Thursday at latest.

Tad more than your budget , but it's an awesome car......super practical family car with unbelievable performance 

Gutted to see it go......

It's been a while since I seen a what car thread - well maybe a week or so.

Any way, I'm probably going to change my daily driver. I'd like something sporty ish, but nothing too crazy or expensive. Any suggestions for something fun. Must be capable of carrying 4 - at least 2 in comfort, preferably all 4.

I took out a Mini 210 yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. I've also been looking at the great deals on a new Golf GTI before they introduce the mild facelift. I also tried the M235i, but wasn't overly impressed at all. Tried a higher powered X4 too which was alright but nothing more than that.

I love the VW DSG box, so I'm inclined to go for an automatic for my next car (I already have a golf TDI with DSG in Oz, which is perfect for the long distance miles I cover when I'm out there), but I'd rather a petrol car over here, and we have no motorways or dual carriageways really, but also no speed limits outside most of the built up areas.

It would take the place of an Audi A4 TDI estate, and I have a Boxster S in the garage if that helps narrow the choices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never gone down the VAG route - I'm sure I have probably missed out on loads, but there we are. But I love Honda Civic Type R's and just took delivery of a six month old demonstrator for around your budget. No auto option (just a really sweet short throw manual), but the looks and the performance make me smile every time I get in it. Plus all the tech you could want comes as standard

Maybe worth a test drive if you have a Honda dealer nearby?

ATB

Jon