closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Cock-up of the year

Craftsman

First Cock-up of the year

Well I made the mistake of changing the time on my Damasko DC57 at the wrong time, now the day wont change the watch is only a few months old,any ideas of what damage I have done ? and cost of repairs on the Valjoux 7750?.

Feeling a bit mad at myself should have known better.

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tritium View Post
    Well I made the mistake of changing the time on my Damasko DC57 at the wrong time, now the day wont change the watch is only a few months old,any ideas of what damage I have done ? and cost of repairs on the Valjoux 7750?.

Feeling a bit mad at myself should have known better.

Cheers
    Did the same with mine. Not an issue at all. Leave it alone for a few hours and try again. If that doesn't work then let it stop and try again another day. Can anyone explain, my ETA 2824s and 7750s do this sometimes -- when I change the date and then wind my watch the mechanism seem to slip. If I then lock the crown and try again everything is fine!

Craftsman
    Thanks Will give it a try I've not let it stop yet .why would that make it work again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear that. Not even sure what you did wrong. How can you change the date at the wrong time?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Not even sure what you did wrong. How can you change the date at the wrong time?

The force is weak in you, you have much to learn young jeepie.

Hammer time....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The force is weak in you, you have much to learn young jeepie.
    Yeah. I know obi one....can you show me the light?

benwoodroffe
    was it this ?

http://watchguy.co.uk/valjoux-7750-t...hange-feature/

"Try to change the date with the quick-set function too close to midnight, and you are in for a surprise – a sizeable repair invoice from your watchmaker!"

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Yeah. I know obi one....can you show me the light?

Many watch manufacturers both mechanical and quartz state in their instructions that changing the date between certain times eg 10pm -2am should be avoided lest terrible things should befall the date change mechanism, though plagues of frogs and lightening bolts are never quoted they are hinted at in forums like this one.

Craftsman
    Many watch manufacturers both mechanical and quartz state in their instructions that changing the date between certain times eg 10pm -2am should be avoided lest terrible things should befall the date change mechanism, though plagues of frogs and lightening bolts are never quoted they are hinted at in forums like this one.
    Interesting....I just picked up the watch usually when it had run down, changed the date to the day before and thwn advanced the time to the correct one. I'll watch out for this when hunting an omega dsotm and darth Vader

Banned
    It will probably need repaired.

jeepie for a mechanical watch it causes damage to the movement if you use the quickset date change between 9pm and 3am. It will usually tell you in the manual. Always a good idea to read the manual.

Grand Master
    Hard to explain without pictures. When the normal date change is engaged the date wheel effectively becomes locked if the quickset is used. You can feel resistance through the crown and provided no excessive force is applied you'll get away with it. ETA 2824s are similarly afflicted but owing to differences in the design it's a lot harder to do damage; by coincidence I`ve just assembled one 20 minutes ago, it's a simple design and it all becomes clear when you look at it.

As for the OP's dilemma, I suggest trying to turn the hands forward through 24 hours. If any stiffness or resistance is felt stop immediately, do not force anything. if this doesn`t work it'll need the dial removing to fix it. Not sure what's likely to be damaged; if the day or date wheel need replacing I hope they're not Damasko-specific parts ( I very much doubt that they are).

The warranty situation will be tricky if you have it fixed elsewhere. If the watch gives problems in the future Damasko will claim the warranty's invalid if they can tell it's been opened up and worked on. It only takes a tiny mark on the hands, or a screwhead, to give the game away.

If it goes back to Damasko I doubt they'll stand the repair under warranty, so there will be a cost involved. The alternative is to get it fixed at a lower price in the UK and accept that the warranty's almost certainly void.

Paul

Craftsman

Craftsman
    Some movements state in the manual not to change the date between certain hours - usually 9:00 - 01:00. These can be damaged permanently.

But it is specific to certain movements.

I know that my Nomos Metro and Rolex GMT II are not affected by this for example. But am not sure about my other watches, so don't take the risk.

I didn't know that quartz movements were also potentially affected.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Some movements state in the manual not to change the date between certain hours - usually 9:00 - 01:00. These can be damaged permanently.

But it is specific to certain movements.

I know that my Nomos Metro and Rolex GMT II are not affected by this for example. But am not sure about my other watches, so don't take the risk.
    No experience onfhte Nomos but the GMT II does not have a true quickset - a consequence of the convenient hour stepping function - so the mechanism would prevent this problem. Same on the Omega GMTs.

Craftsman
    I suppose my next question is do I send it back to Damasko or independent? Because it's under warranty.

I always change the date after moving the watch to 12pm...or wait until it is 12pm to do it.

The OP says he changed the *time* not the date, will this still do damage if done at the incorrect time?

Grand Master
    I suppose my next question is do I send it back to Damasko or independent? Because it's under warranty.

That's your call, I`ve outlined the case for or against.

If you've tried quicksetting the day and date, you've tried turning the hands through 24 hrs, and you're certain the watch is now faulty, you have to weigh up the options. Frankly, I can`t see how canvassing other opinions will help you much, some will say send it back, others will say send it to someone in the UK. Ideally, you could discuss it directly with Damasko, but I doubt that'll be easy. If it's sent back under warranty it'll be obvious what the problem is and how it's been caused, therefore I doubt they'd fix it under warranty unless it's done on a goodwill basis.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    I didn't know that quartz movements were also potentially affected.
    Pull the crown out to the 1st click (calendar setting position).
    2. Set the desired date by turning the crown counterclockwise.
    3. Set the desired day of the week by turning the crown clockwise.
    • In the case of date display models, turning the crown clockwise will result in the loose
    play of the crown.
    4. After you have set the calendar, be sure to press the crown back to its normal position.
    • Do not adjust the calendar when the watch is reading as below. Otherwise the
    calendar may not change correctly.
    * Date display models ..... between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am

This is from the instruction manual of a Citizen eco drive I have.

Journeyman
    Excuse my stupidity from reading this, but I could potentially damage my GMT2 and '98 DateJust by adjusting the date between the hours of 9pm and 1am?

Master
    Well, look at it this way, you won't make that mistake again. In truth, it is easily done, you just forget.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the help I have decided to send it back to Damasko let you know the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    The OP says he changed the *time* not the date, will this still do damage if done at the incorrect time?
    I'm confused by this too. I know to only change the day / date with the hour hand between 3 and 9, but I didn't think changing the time was an issue.

After all, what are you supposed to do with a stopped watch when wearing it for the first time in a while?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I'm confused by this too. I know to only change the day / date with the hour hand between 3 and 9, but I didn't think changing the time was an issue.

After all, what are you supposed to do with a stopped watch when wearing it for the first time in a while?
    Probably meant date.

I usually change watches in rotation on Saturday mornings, so I always wind the hands through midnight and set the correct time and then set date, and day if needed. I once thought I'd done the unthinkable but got away with it and I've been very careful ever since.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

[...]
    As for the OP's dilemma, I suggest trying to turn the hands forward through 24 hours. If any stiffness or resistance is felt stop immediately, do not force anything. if this doesn`t work it'll need the dial removing to fix it. Not sure what's likely to be damaged; if the day or date wheel need replacing I hope they're not Damasko-specific parts ( I very much doubt that they are)
    [...]
    Paul
    The day and date windows are offset to a lower position on the dial of Damasko chronographs; it looks like Damasko have custom day/date wheels printed as I've never seen another brand with the same arrangement, a standard 7750 day/date wheel won't line up with the holes.

It might make sense to send it to Damasko in Germany or, at risk of being stoned to death by the forum, suggest you ask Page & Cooper who do UK repairs...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The day and date windows are offset to a lower position on the dial of Damasko chronographs; it looks like Damasko have custom day/date wheels printed as I've never seen another brand with the same arrangement, a standard 7750 day/date wheel won't line up with the holes.

It might make sense to send it to Damasko in Germany or, at risk of being stoned to death by the forum, suggest you ask Page & Cooper who do UK repairs...
    It's going back via Jura watches who where very helpful,I wouldn't touch Page & Cooper.

It's going back via Jura watches who where very helpful,I wouldn't touch Page & Cooper.

Probably for the best. Hope they sort it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbez View Post
    Excuse my stupidity from reading this, but I could potentially damage my GMT2 and '98 DateJust by adjusting the date between the hours of 9pm and 1am?
    Could you? Why?

Modern Rolex should be absolutely fine.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 3rd January 2017 at 21:33.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have just managed to do this on my 7750 based Sinn Chrono. No idea why though as I am always careful to change the day/date during the 'safe' hours. The date wheel seemed to lock and get stuck halfway through the change with resistance felt turning the crown. First watch failure in 12 years of collecting...

Tip to avoid the OP's problem:
    When setting the time after the watch has stopped, always pull the crown all the way out and then turn the hands around the dial clockwise until the date changes at 12 (12 AM 'night') then keep turning until they reach 12 again (12 PM day) or are safely outside the date change period. Then set the date, then set the time.

I usually set the date as one day behind, then pull the crown all the way out and move the hands past 12 AM, where it changes, and on to the correct time.

Unless it's a watch where you know the calibre is safe and the date mechanism can't be broken.
    Last edited by AKM; 3rd January 2017 at 21:47.

Craftsman
    I was lucky yesterday when I set my date before checking it was in a safe time period. What's people's thought on winding a watch backwards? Is it ok or a big no no?

Banned
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Why?
    Long story, previous thread about service experience from a member on here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=370657

Banned
    Thanks. I know a guy who had a bit of hassle with them getting a watch repaired that had the same problem as the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Long story, previous thread about service experience from a member on here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=370657

benwoodroffe
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    No experience onfhte Nomos but the GMT II does not have a true quickset - a consequence of the convenient hour stepping function - so the mechanism would prevent this problem. Same on the Omega GMTs.
    Nomos don't do a true quickset either.

Master
    Took me a while to work that out on my Nomos club datum, count understand why it only one click on the crown.......