closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Breitling Service experience...

Hybrid View

Interesting thread; I have a 1998 Colt SuperOcean that I thought I might get tidied up and start wearing again. Cost me £600 back in the day at Zurich airport during a sale.

My quote? Just over £1800.

Its coming back to me and can live out its life in a drawer instead. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Interesting thread; I have a 1998 Colt SuperOcean that I thought I might get tidied up and start wearing again. Cost me £600 back in the day at Zurich airport during a sale.

My quote? Just over £1800.

Its coming back to me and can live out its life in a drawer instead. Shame.

Coming from a Rolex perspective,I am shocked by some of these costs. Service costs are part of the luxury watch deal, but there are costs and taking the p**s. Is there an independent that deals with Breitling? It looks like they aren't a brand that Genesis repairs.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Coming from a Rolex perspective,I am shocked by some of these costs. Service costs are part of the luxury watch deal, but there are costs and taking the p**s. Is there an independent that deals with Breitling? It looks like they aren't a brand that Genesis repairs.

Dave

Realising I may get utterly burned by this statement in 8 weeks time, I don't think they're *that* bad.

I think there's a difference between Service Costs, and 'Put it back to factory fresh' costs. In my case, the £571 bezel replacement falls into that category - nothing wrong with it, but as an option I can get the piece as close to New Watch Day as possible :) (not for me BTW, far too costly!)

I remember having an email exchange with the Ryte Time chap last year I think, his issue was parts supply. But then, if you look solely at the Maintenance Service costs, Breitling aren't that bad - replacement parts however seem to be rather pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroblack350 View Post
    Realising I may get utterly burned by this statement in 8 weeks time, I don't think they're *that* bad.

I think there's a difference between Service Costs, and 'Put it back to factory fresh' costs. In my case, the £571 bezel replacement falls into that category - nothing wrong with it, but as an option I can get the piece as close to New Watch Day as possible :) (not for me BTW, far too costly!)

I remember having an email exchange with the Ryte Time chap last year I think, his issue was parts supply. But then, if you look solely at the Maintenance Service costs, Breitling aren't that bad - replacement parts however seem to be rather pricey!

Not to big up Rolex, but the £450 cost does include refinishing if required. Parts clearly are extra, but yikes that bezel cost. My inset, obviously just this and not the whole bezel was about £35 plus vat

Dave

Dave
    It's more than a service; basically they are saying it's necessary to replace everything except the case and dial! Crown, crystal, bezel, hands and bracelet. I want it serviced and water proofed and would like the slack removed from the bezel spring but I don't think they're offering what I want.

I am not spending over a grand on a watch worth half that. It runs fine, it's never worn anyway so this state of affairs will simply continue.

Grand Master
    Not sure whether the movement's an ETA 2824 or 2892 in the OP's watch. However, I`m amazed at the mechanical parts they're wishing to replace. Unless the balance staff is broken or in very poor condition (unlikely) I fail to see why the watch needs a new balance! Even then I`d expect the balance to be no more than £75. The train wheel bridge is easily damaged on a 2892 but only by careless handling whilst working on the watch. The only parts that can wear are the jewels, and usually they last virtually forever. As for the auto-winding, again I'm struggling to see why this part has to be replaced.

Seems very odd to me. I question how differently the watch will run with or without replacement of these parts. There are parts I can understand them choosing to replace, but not the stuff they've listed!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 16th February 2017 at 19:07.

Well my colt GMT came back last week, £857.46. It's now as new and fully recovered from the drop. The second hand remains square which I was a bit worried about after reading they changed them to the newer style. Cost breakdown;

Complete service £345.85
    Exchange of crystal £83.08
    Exchange of middlecase £239.46
    Exchange of crown £32.16
    Shipping £15
    VAT £142.91

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Well my colt GMT came back last week, £857.46. It's now as new and fully recovered from the drop. The second hand remains square which I was a bit worried about after reading they changed them to the newer style. Cost breakdown;

Complete service £345.85
    Exchange of crown £32.16
    Shipping £15
    VAT £142.91

That looks phenomenal :)

Was the timeframe accurate? I've been quoted 8 weeks but I'm eager to get it back.

It took about 10 weeks, but I did send it in December so the Christmas break probably added the extra couple of weeks. I'm seriously impressed with the service. In a way I'm pleased I dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post

Complete service £345.85
    Exchange of crown £32.16
    Shipping £15
    VAT £142.91

Looks good. If you like the watch and wear it that's the main thing.

What's a 'middle case'? Is that the part with the case sides and the lugs or is it something internal e.g. movement spacer ring?

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

What's a 'middle case'? Is that the part with the case sides and the lugs or is it something internal e.g. movement spacer ring?
    I believe the bit that houses the movement so inside the case.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e0cbbf85e6.jpg

Master

The 'middle case' is the main case, minus the caseback, bezel etc, so yes, it is the sides and lugs and normally, as a service item, will be complete with the case tube fitted but a chronograph will not have the pusher tubes fitted.

Craftsman

Dave

Christ. Also read around that servicing an Oris can be around £600. An Oris!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    Christ. Also read around that servicing an Oris can be around £600. An Oris!
    It wasn't that long ago someone said an Oris service was quite inexpensive compared to Breitling and others.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know how Omega compare to Breitling in servicing costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    It wasn't that long ago someone said an Oris service was quite inexpensive compared to Breitling and others.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know how Omega compare to Breitling in servicing costs?

You can find Omega's charges on their website. In my experience, Swatch UK in Southampton who do the UK servicing, are more pragmatic in approach than Breitling appear to have been on this thread; for instance they will attempt to sympathetically refurbish case and bracelet parts rather than automatically replace.

On one of my watches they commented upon scratches to the sapphire crystal (which I'd not noticed) but they didn't recommend replacing it. I had a steel bezel replaced at a cost of £125 but it was at my request as a previous owner had messed it up and badly polished it.

Master
    You can find Omega's charges on their website. In my experience, Swatch UK in Southampton who do the UK servicing, are more pragmatic in approach than Breitling appear to have been on this thread; for instance they will attempt to sympathetically refurbish case and bracelet parts rather than automatically replace.

On one of my watches they commented upon scratches to the sapphire crystal (which I'd not noticed) but they didn't recommend replacing it. I had a steel bezel replaced at a cost of £125 but it was at my request as a previous owner had messed it up and badly polished it.
    That's good then, I'm buying a new SMPc next week from my AD :)

Providing I like the Watch in the flesh, but I think I will.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post

A recent service on an SMPC (that I saw for sale elsewhere) appears to be:

£260 + £52 VAT for a simple service (no parts)

£90 + £18 VAT for case and bracelet refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    A recent service on an SMPC (that I saw for sale elsewhere) appears to be:

£260 + £52 VAT for a simple service (no parts)

£90 + £18 VAT for case and bracelet refurb.
    Yep. My 2254 is in currently and will be over £400 for full service and case/bracelet refurb.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Yep. My 2254 is in currently and will be over £400 for full service and case/bracelet refurb.
    Did it never cross your mind to send it elsewhere? That's a lot of money to service one of these!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd February 2017 at 09:42.