closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ONE piece of watch advice

Master

The ONE piece of watch advice

That you would give to a younger you? Assuming you're old enough and at least 10 years ago.

If I could go back over 20 years ago to my early 20's I'd advise myself to buy the most expensive watch (for me a SS Rolex)I could possibly afford, as young as possible and before committing to mortgages, children and grown up life in general. It would be 3 or 4 months pay maybe, as 20 years later you'll look back at that beauty which you'd have enjoyed for all those years at what in hindsight would have been a great investment too.

I've seen quite a few posts of people that in the 1970's, 80's and 90's that pushed the boat out when they were young and free and bought that great watch.

Journeyman
    Agreed, had this same conversation with a friend the other day. We both bought tags when we were younger, and wish we had spent the extra on a Rolex. Cost us double in our late 30's.

A hard question.
    I wish I had learned more before I bought my first and my second expensive watch.
    Both now flipped so perhaps the OP has a point.

Lived the dream. Bought a 5513 16 years ago when we were still DINKYs, £800. Still have it, no regrets...

Craftsman
    Absolutely agree, one big purchase - break the bank - and cherish it knowing it would rocket in value so you could sell it for a few pieces or stick with it for sentimental reasons.

Master
    "If you think that's a lot, wait till you see what its worth in ten years!!"

I'd go back and tell myself to stop chickening out of buying a 16610LV and buy every single one I could get my hands on!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A decade ago, I'd tell myself to start a nice collection of Comex.

Master
    Sell everything and buy as many Kermit's as possible.

I'd have still bought the same watch, but I think I'd have bought a used 1665, I'd have purchased that 16600 Comex at £10k, the Aquanaut on bracelet also for under £10k, and I'd have bought a 16600 sooner and wore it almost every day.

But, I'm reasonably happy with my watch purchases, and have got to own and try a lot of very very nice watches over the years!
    It's just a matter of time...

The ONE piece of watch advice.

Don`t take the back off and try and fix it yourself with a penknife and WD40.

I would have bought Apple and Google shares

edit...sorry you said watch advice oops

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If I could go back over 20 years ago to my early 20's I'd advise myself to buy the most expensive watch (for me a SS Rolex)I could possibly afford, as young as possible and before committing to mortgages, children and grown up life in general. It would be 3 or 4 months pay maybe, as 20 years later you'll look back at that beauty which you'd have enjoyed for all those years at what in hindsight would have been a great investment too.
    Well I bought my first ever watch (Rolex 16710) brand new as a 20 year old 17 years back, a watch which I still have now. People said I was completely mad to be wasting money on a watch (at the time I didn't even own a car) my old man went nuts and almost kicked me out. I put a £500 deposit down and paid the rest off over 18 months, and I have to say, the sentiments in the quote above regard marriage, children and mortgage are pretty much exactly why I'm glad I did it.

If I could give myself one piece of advice it would be not to wast time, effort and money trying out different watches just because they look nice - I can't be the only one who's had that instant regret feeling after a purchase. Take your time, try before you buy and feel 100% happy before parting with hard earned cash - not because of any monetary reason, just because you'll have more enjoyment from your collecting in the long run if you don't bugger about with stuff you think you might like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post

If I could give myself one piece of advice it would be not to wast time, effort and money trying out different watches just because they look nice - I can't be the only one who's had that instant regret feeling after a purchase. Take your time, try before you buy and feel 100% happy before parting with hard earned cash - not because of any monetary reason, just because you'll have more enjoyment from your collecting in the long run if you don't bugger about with stuff you think you might like.

But buggering about with stuff you think you might like is part of the fun! I enjoy trying random watches, so what if they don't last long in the collection, that's the fun part

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Well I bought my first ever watch (Rolex 16710) brand new as a 20 year old 17 years back, a watch which I still have now. People said I was completely mad to be wasting money on a watch (at the time I didn't even own a car) my old man went nuts and almost kicked me out. I put a £500 deposit down and paid the rest off over 18 months, and I have to say, the sentiments in the quote above regard marriage, children and mortgage are pretty much exactly why I'm glad I did it.

This ^^^ is the reason for my post

Thanks for sharing.

I thought the same about houses - wish I had stretched myself more when I bought my first house in the late-90s. Although location also key.

Master
    Don't pretty much give away your Omega 2254 for a few hundred quid to a random work colleague without checking the value first would be my advice to me.

In an ideal world, I would have bought up lots of mechanical watches during the quartz crisis when they were cheap as chips. However, I was just a kid at the time so that is unrealistic. More realistic perhaps would have been to buy vintage Omega Seamaster divers and Speedmasters for a few hundred quid each not so long ago.

I'd have made sure I was at least two steps ahead of wherever Mike Wood was going ;-)

Master
    Don`t take the back off and try and fix it yourself with a penknife and WD40.
    Haha

Buy vintage Rolex, especially as they're so much cheaper than the modern ones...

Probably about 15 years ago before I really became interested in watches I remember laughing at the funny looking red and blue Rolex watches with the bubble on the crystal in the window of my local AD. If only I'd bought one (or more) at the time.

About 7 years ago I saw a new 114270 in the window of another UK AD (when most UK ADs had sold out) and walked on by. A few days later when I went back it had sold. I regret not buying that one.

I'd also buy a 2254.50 new if I could go back.

--

Oops just re-read thread title and that is three pieces of advice not one - they are listed in order though.

"Buy vintage Rolex and vintage Omega".......earlier than you did!

Maybe "don't sell your 13 Speedmasters, especially the 2998 FAP and Omani presentation ones"

General advice would be to buy what I actually like - not to buy 'forum favourites' which I invariably end up selling and losing money on.

Blog Entries
    How about this - Why not apply this logic now? Buy something really expensive - keep it for ten years and watch it rocket in value?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    How about this - Why not apply this logic now? Buy something really expensive - keep it for ten years and watch it rocket in value?
    Very true.

Don't spend as much money on watches! Rolex and Omega, Panerai etc never scratched an itch any more than a cheap Seiko or Casio for me. But I spent a lot of money until I realised that!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Never, ever, under any circumstances, join a watch forum.

Relatively early on in my collecting day there was an Aquanaut with Chronomaster for around 4 grand if I remember. I went so far as to chat with Neil about it and sell a couple of watches for funds and then backed out last minute, 4 grand on a watch?! Way too much.

I did buy an Aquanaut but it cost me twice that many moons later.

The ONE piece of watch advice

1.0 - Don't try to take the back off watches with needle nose pliers.

1.1 - Don't clean brushed steel watches with Cape Cod.

1.2 - Don't get vintage watch dials restored.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought my best mate a Daytona in 1982 from a Norwegian AD for £300. Why didn't I buy 10 more for myself.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    That you would give to a younger you? Assuming you're old enough and at least 10 years ago.

I've seen quite a few posts of people that in the 1970's, 80's and 90's that pushed the boat out when they were young and free and bought that great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    LOL, :))))))

Nice one.

Sadly, I concur with virtually everyones comments.

Excellent thread OP :-)

At the lower end of the scale ... keep the OEM tang and buckle when you change straps.

Master
    I mean its easy to say, "should have just bought up all SS Rolex etcetc" in hindsight but what if in 10 years time Rolex goes bust (unlikely i know but for sake of argument)?

Because if its the investment angle, then obviously buying something else ie Apple/Google shares, London flats etc would have been a far wiser way to increase ur capital.

On the other hand, focusing "purely" on watches, I would tell myself to do the following:

1) Give it at least 2-3 weeks before you make a big purchase.
    2) Make sure you love it. Don't get it because its "the watch" to get or everyone wants one.
    3) Flip less and enjoy what you have.
    4) Make sure you have the watch for at least 1-2 months before you buy a strap for it....

I agree with getting a rolex first. Thankfully my first watch was a Rolex at 18 years old, a trusty Rolex Explorer I bought brand new and I still have it to this day and I wore the hell out of it for 10 years before I bought another watch.

Don't buy a brand new quartz Tag Heuer
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Buy ONLY what you like, not what others tell you you should

Although 10 years ago I think the only watches I'd bought myself was Casio F91-W to go windsurfing in and £4 thing from a market in France, which took my fancy one day!

M.

Journeyman
    Actually try the watch on the wrist first before buying it!

Buy old dive watches, buy as many spares and parts you can find, buy the best example you can afford even if it seems expensive compared to other examples, don't sell them.

I did most of that, except the crucial last 3 words.

Journeyman
    If you are young and don't enough to buy expensive watches read about them anyway. You never know you might land an epic job and salary to go with it. It might just stop a couple of daft purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    this! haha

Journeyman

Buy a steel Rolex and don'r read watch forums

You can go anywhere with a steel Rolex, and (sadly) watch forums tend to breed dissatisfaction with what you have when something new and shiny comes along.

Many of my watches have appreciated in value, but it's not a good investment strategy...

On a side note, I bought an Omega Dynamic Chrono a lot of years ago - the Targa Florio was the same price, but the black dial just looked better. The Targa Florio now goes for double the standard Dynamic Chrono. Who knew?

Craftsman
    I also bought a Tag as my first luxury piece, fortunately a Monaco and not something regarded as "lesser" by the community (Though I do feel that it's still a bit unfair).

Also, get on the BLNR waiting list earlier.

I bought a cartier at 25, a Tag at 30. Wish I had bout a Rolex at 25 instead of waiting until 50!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I'd go back and tell myself to stop chickening out of buying a 16610LV and buy every single one I could get my hands on!
    I decided against a 16610LV at £2650 as it would not be as wearable as the regular 16610*. Additionally as this was my first expensive watch I wanted a deal but there was no discount which to me would have justified the purchase, as it would have been a 'good' deal (even a very very small discount). I did buy a 11610 (without a discount!), albeit a few years after at £3090. I was not aware bezels could be swapped at that time of looking at the LV and may have taken the LV instead.

*Here I also messed about and opted for a Breitling instead and turned down a Speedmaster Snoopy which the AD refused to mark down from £1500 due to minor handling marks. Big mistake! Also said no to a Moon to Mars at approx. £1100. Another mistake!

My advice is don't always be too OCD and do not base a decision necessarily on discount availability.

Buy many Kermits ... It's been said before, I remember thinking about it ...

Buy a proper tool for strap changing...........................and practice.

My advice- Attempt a little research on your own before asking for advice:-)

Craftsman
    I'd have told myself not have been so concerned about spending money on a watch.

I've always been reluctant to spend more than I earned and that applied to taking credit out to buy stuff. If I had of been a little less risk adverse, then I'd be sat here with a Snoopy or Great White - both of which had been opportunities in past years.

Definitely look into used watches as you'll get a much better watch for your money

Stay away from Sales Corner - it's bad for your wealth.

Master
    My advice - don't confuse quality with price. The latter being high doesn't necessarily mean the former will be as well!