closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New 2nd version Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military

Apprentice

New 2nd version Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military

Hello All ,

It was,nt my intention to post a thread relating to my newly acquired Steinhart OVM 2 on the forum as I think there are already enough and much better reviews than mine to be viewed on other forums , but I am so impressed with this new watch that I thought it a good idea to relate my own observatiions and views in my own words .
    First of all I am aware of peoples many and varied opinions regarding the Steinhart OVM especially relating to Face colour of the second version ( Vintage Black I think is the official description ) . There are many Steinhart owners out there who who found it intolerable that the first version of the OVM changed the face colour in the second version to a lighter charcoal grey colour , so this is the first point I will comment on . After looking at pictures of the second version on the many forum threads , the face usually did look a kind of lighter grey colour which I found quite attractive and a little different from many other black faced dive style watches . On actually taking my OVM out of its box I was quite surprised to find that the face colour is a more darker colour than I imagined , but enough of a lighter colour to give the watch a unique look about it , which to me looks quite classy ! I , like other people reading the varied opinions on the forums was initially put off by some of the negative views regarding the face colour . but after looking at the pictures time and time again , the new OVM started to grow on me , and after first taking it out of its box it looks even better and most of the forum pictures do not really do it justice !
    I know its not a Rolex or an Omega but the weight and its classy looks and the OVMs decent build spec , especially with the vintage lume ( Like a pale apricot colour ) give it the look of a more higher end watch . I am not a big fan of metal bracelets when wearing a watch and much prefer a good quality leather one , but once again I do like the look and style of the OVMs oyster style bracelet , but I do think I will replace it with a leather and / or a quality Rhino or Nato style strap . One other point I will comment on is the size of the dial (42mm) , I must say looking at the watch it does not seem too large or oversized for my wrist ( which is quite slim around 7" ) so I was quite pleased about that .
    Obviously I have not had a chance to wear it yet so I cant comment on the wearability factor but what I would say to anyone considering buying one , don't be put off by some of the negative comments and if youre sure , go for it and I don't think you will be disappointed !
    Thanks .
    Mike

I picked up one of the first OVR editions recently following great advice from this forum.

More than holds it own against far more expensive watches in my collection. Quite incredible for the cost and the ETA movement has been very accurate.

Also prefer a leather strap over a bracelet so picked up a dark vintage strap from the Steinhart site. Also very well priced!

Enjoy your new watch. I know I do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Perhaps the best value brand in the world.

As regards the marque 1 v marque 2 debate, I can see what they were aiming for with faux ageing and fading. Not in itself a foolish goal, seen as it's trying to mimic a 40 year old piece.

I think the problem with it is the uniformity of the dial makes it look too faux. Had they been able to artificially replicate the more random nature of discoloration and fading it could have had more fans.

The most important thing is that you're happy with it. All a matter of taste, no right or wrong. :-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I owned the mk1 OVM and loved the black dial, i dislike the mk2, but thats just my opinion, the mark1 OVR in post two is also very nice!

Steinhart make great Watches in my opinion and I currently own 6 of the blighters.
    Including my SMP they are the only Watches I will never part with.