closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Jeweller wants to keep my warranty card for 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Choosing what I should get? I am not sure what you mean but my point was simply if I walk into a shop and purchase say a watch, chap goes in the back and returns with said watch and I hand over my cash that's what I expect to get.
    Yes you would but if said salesperson said they would hang hang onto warranty card or whatever and you still wanted to buy watch it's up to you to decide - you're not entitled to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Indeed. A campaign of SARs might help bring out the truth, no that enough people in the UK will be bothered to do this.

Too many British people are poor consumers who simply accept whatever rubbish retailers throw at them.
    True, but if as has been stated many of the names on the lists are buyers for grey dealers then they might have an incentive to stir up a little trouble to try & bring about an end to these restrictions. It would just need someone who knew a bit about the Data Protection laws to combine with the dealers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Because I feel I am entitled to get what I ask for when I hand over my money rather than what a seller decides I should get?
    Presumably it's a contract law thing. They offer to sell you a watch with or without "accessories" and on whatever other terms they set out. You then accept or decline that offer. I don't think you are entitled to anything that the dealer hasn't previously explicitly agreed to. (It's an interesting legal point where deposits have been paid.)

It's a slight inconvenience for the genuine buyer but if it puts off dealers (and makes it more likely I can buy a watch I want at list) then I'm all for it.

There was a green Sub on Gumtree yesterday (at a £900 premium to list) that had been bought - yesterday (complete with photo of the receipt). I just find that really annoying. (The principle rather than the specific watch.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    True, but if as has been stated many of the names on the lists are buyers for grey dealers then they might have an incentive to stir up a little trouble to try & bring about an end to these restrictions. It would just need someone who knew a bit about the Data Protection laws to combine with the dealers.
    I'm not sure what your point is. My suggestion is to use the DPA to force dealers to reveal how they are using (and possibly misusing) customer information. Whilst dealers may try to obfuscate what they are doing, theoretically and by keeping up a consistent front then at some point the truth might come out (if there is any truth to be uncovered).

It should be noted that customers making SARs don't offer dealers any advantages. They already know the names of their customers! So there is no advantage to the dealers if their customers are requesting SARs -- it's just a way for customers to find out how dealers are using personal information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes you would but if said salesperson said they would hang hang onto warranty card or whatever and you still wanted to buy watch it's up to you to decide - you're not entitled to it.
    As long as you know before you hand over payment that part of the item will be withheld.

There are no legitimate grounds to withhold parts of an item after it has been paid for.

In most cases reported here on TZ-UK, it was stated by the AD before payment was accepted that stickers or warranty card would be withheld, and (even though I condemn the policy) this does mean that the customer has a chance to reject the sale on those grounds.

However, in a few cases it has been said that ADs had tried to remove items after payment had been taken, and they certainly have no right to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    At which point I take my money back get up and leave and buy from someone who is not a buffoon instead of accepting any old tosh from a salesperson and treating it like a privilege for having done so.

I am not going to argue semantics over it nor do I believe for one second that's how Rolex or Patel dealers operate in general but I am sure they know the mugs when they see them coming.

Craftsman

Jeweller wants to keep my warranty card for 6 months?

I get why they are doing it (due to resale at a higher value), I also think I wouldn't be happy being dictated to by a retailer. I would reject the watch on those terms. If you really want the watch and don't plan to resell immediately it's a matter of want vs principle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Presumably it's a contract law thing. They offer to sell you a watch with or without "accessories" and on whatever other terms they set out. You then accept or decline that offer. I don't think you are entitled to anything that the dealer hasn't previously explicitly agreed to. (It's an interesting legal point where deposits have been paid.)
    Sale of consumer goods isn't governed by contract law ahead of the Sale of Goods Act. Contract law would be relevant if there were a written contract drawn up beforehand.

It's also inaccurate to believe that the retailer offers goods for sale. In business to consumer transactions, it's the other way around.

Technically, the consumer makes an offer to purchase. Once the retailer accepts that offer, they have no further control over the goods, which are legally yours to do with whatever you wish.

Your view of the dealer making the offer is only the case when the transaction is business to business (like when the grey market dealer buys from the AD).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I get why they are doing it (due to resale at a higher value)
    Indeed, although as I observed it's futile. If end user buyers are willing to buy from an AD without bits and pieces (or with bits to come later) then they will be willing to buy from grey dealers without the very same bits and pieces (or with bits to come later).

Just took delivery today from M&W in Manchester, everything handed over, no condition imposed, no hassle, Antony is a great representitive for the AD.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arcam; 12th August 2017 at 18:23.

^ Which goes to show its a individual AD thing, not a Rolex diktat.

My warranty card is being kept for 1 year.

i'm not selling so truth be told not a big issue for me.

As someone who in theory is affected by people buying from ADs only to sell on to grey dealers for a profit, i'm all for this approach if it means there are more watches available to those who actually want to keep their watches and not insta-flip for a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ Which goes to show its a individual AD thing, not a Rolex diktat.
    Absolutely, they looked horrified at the stories I told them based on the info I have read on this forum.

Master
    Any chance of giving all this stuff a rest? It goes no-where. Just endless moaning..'life's not fair...life's not fair.' 'AD's are horrid ' 'I'm going to take my ball away and not play.' 'You'l never guess what the horrid salesman said to me.'
    Repeated, over and over. With a comic sense of indignation. Modern day Mr Pooters.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th August 2017 at 18:50.

Just a though if you have had enought of reading this thread, you could always unsubscribe from it.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Any chance of giving all this stuff a rest? It goes no-where. Just endless moaning..'life's not fair...life's not fair.' 'AD's are horrid ' 'I'm going to take my ball away and not play.' 'You'l never guess what the horrid salesman said to me.'
    Repeated, over and over. With a comic sense of indignation. Modern day Mr Pooters.
    Oh the irony!

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Oh the irony!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Oh the irony!
    I just wish he'd tell us whether he'd recommend Watchfinder or an AD. 18 months of posts and we still can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Just took delivery today from M&W in Manchester, everything handed over, no condition imposed, no hassle, Antony is a great representitive for the AD.

Welcome to the club.
    Details about the initiation ceremony to follow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    Details about the initiation ceremony to follow
    Does it involve nakedness, beer and pagan rituals?? Hope so cos I'm picking mine up tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Does it involve nakedness, beer and pagan rituals?? Hope so cos I'm picking mine up tomorrow..
    I would be up for that

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have heard the same about Laings they are removing all stickers and keeping card for 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Sale of consumer goods isn't governed by contract law ahead of the Sale of Goods Act. Contract law would be relevant if there were a written contract drawn up beforehand.

It's also inaccurate to believe that the retailer offers goods for sale. In business to consumer transactions, it's the other way around.

Technically, the consumer makes an offer to purchase. Once the retailer accepts that offer, they have no further control over the goods, which are legally yours to do with whatever you wish.

Your view of the dealer making the offer is only the case when the transaction is business to business (like when the grey market dealer buys from the AD).
    Edit: I was talking nonsense.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2017 at 20:47.

Master
    Just took delivery today from M&W in Manchester, everything handed over, no condition imposed, no hassle
    Sssshhhhhhhh! Don't tell the OP!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ahhh, the popular strategy of countering nonsense with nonsense:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I missed it, sadly

Ahhh, the popular strategy of countering nonsense with nonsense:-)
    That's an accurate enough description of what goes on here.

Craftsman

Not jealous at all, I want one :)

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I missed it, sadly
    You didn't miss much, to be fair.

Master
    Collected today....all the bits n bobs, exactly as it should be....

Outstanding

Collected today....all the bits n bobs, exactly as it should be....
    Congratulations.
    Not blaming you but the whole thing has been hijacked to such an extent by moaning about stickers et al that your post has nothing about your joy or impressions of the watch but the bits and bobs!

Master
    Congratulations.
    Not blaming you but the whole thing has been hijacked to such an extent by moaning about stickers et al that your post has nothing about your joy or impressions of the watch but the bits and bobs!
    I could do a post on how pleased I am to get a 50th year SD to go with my LV Sub.....but honestly, I don't think folk are that interested, and I'd only get accusedof being some sort of profiteer despite the fact that these 2 watches have been bought to wear and not sell...

To be honest, based on a lot of the snide, comments when someone posts something (supposedly) desirable, I really can't be bothered...

Master
    Congratulations.
    It hasn't been hijacked. The thread was started with a view to sharing annoyance at pathetic AD policies.

I could do a post on how pleased I am to get a 50th year SD to go with my LV Sub.....but honestly, I don't think folk are that interested, and I'd only get accusedof being some sort of profiteer despite the fact that these 2 watches have been bought to wear and not sell...

To be honest, based on a lot of the snide, comments when someone posts something (supposedly) desirable, I really can't be bothered...
    Kind of sad when we can't be able to appreciate and share in someone's joy.

I hope you are pleased and would love to know your impressions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It hasn't been hijacked. The thread was started with a view to sharing annoyance at pathetic AD policies.
    Not talking about this thread but the whole Rolex buying experience as it plays out on the forum. It has become more about how and when someone made it to the list, how long did it take, did they jump the queue, what happened to stickers,hang tags and warranty card and the latest bit of information/rumor that the AD provided about waiting lists, price rises and estimated date of Skydweller arrival. All of which do have a place but not the exclusion of the watch itself.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 13th August 2017 at 17:41.

Master

To be honest, based on a lot of the snide, comments when someone posts something (supposedly)
    desirable, I really can't be bothered...
    im interested (since someone posted pics of the thickness v the deep sea! and surely plenty of others are ?