closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Do you prohibit the wearing of shoes indoors ?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, wearing shoes indoors is always unacceptable.

113 53.30%
  • No, I'm not too bothered unless shoes are soiled.

69 32.55%
  • I meander between both states.

30 14.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People that take shoes off going indoors...

Hybrid View

People that take shoes off going indoors...

I was in a neighbors house recently and it was one of those houses where the family leave their shoes in the hall and walk around the house in socks. Haven't seen that in years. When in Rome etc.; I went to take off my shoes but in fairness I was told not to worry about doing that as I was a guest. I then sat there for the next hour feeling awkward & dirty with a pair of brogues on me as they all had socks (and sock like things) on them.

That practice seemed to be common enough when I was a lad back in the early 1980s, when I called to my mates houses to play Subbuteo, in the same way people had ornament cabinets, 'good rooms' for dining on Xmas day, sets of encyclopedias, barometers in the hallway, etc. I thought that game was well over. We often wear socks around the house but having a 'no shoe' rule indoors ???

Do people still do that; have a mandatory rule to take their shoes off and walk around the house in socks ? I can see the sense of that practice on farms but do people still do this in leafy suburbia ?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, most of the time.

Yup -and expect my guests to do the same.

Master
    yes- why would you wear outside shoes in the lounge

Yep and so do most of the people I know

In Sweden we never use shoes inside the house and sometimes we drop them with style.

Master
    Same here, no shoes indoors at our house.

i do...

My ex wife was Thai.

Its customary for Thais (and I guess other nationalities), to remove their shoes upon entering a house.

Make perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I can see the sense of that practice on farms but do people still do this in leafy suburbia ?
    Do dogs not crap on the ground in leafy suburbia?

Grand Master

People that take shoes off going indoors...

So let me get this straight you won't let me in wearing my shoes which will have a bit of dust on and I can wipe on your mat but you're happy for me to have my sweaty socks moist with living bacteria on your carpet?
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 30th July 2017 at 18:34.
    RIAC

Master
    Blue plastic shoe covers are available at the door for those with sweaty feet

Master
    I always thought that wearing shoes in the house only happened in Holywood movies.

Why would you even want to wear shoes in the house? Barefoot is so much more comfortable

Master
    Absolutely no shoes whatsoever in our house as let's face it you walk our grim streets where people have vomited pissed and spat, plus dog piss and dog shit why would anyone expect to walk in a lovely clean house with all that on their shoes and don't get me started on when you have to use a public urinal and stand in piss splatters!!!!!!!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Absolutely no shoes whatsoever in our house as let's face it you walk our grim streets where people have vomited pissed and spat, plus dog piss and dog shit why would anyone expect to walk in a lovely clean house with all that on their shoes and don't get me started on when you have to use a public urinal and stand in piss splatters!!!!!!!!!
    I completely agree. I think twice, about taking me shoes off after just putting them on and realising that I left the urn on on something that I have to go back in for. I still take them off even though it's a faff.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Shoes off in ours unless you're a guest. I hated going to friends' houses and having to take my shoes off as a child. I wont force it on anybody else because of this but I'm happy to observe the practice at home.

When my inlaws visit they bring their own slippers to wear.

I once spent a month backpacking around Morocco, one guy was from a farm in New Zealand he was a real farm lad, could tell the weather for the day by looking at a tree. The entire time I was there he never wore shoes, even when we went hiking in the Atlas Mountains. Long story short a year later we all met up for a party, I arranged to meet him at Tottenham Court tube station, he comes strutting along bare foot down Oxford street. When we got to the house we all walked in and took our shoes off, the home owner gave him a pair to put on!

Don't wear shoes in my house nor do guests. When I go to other peoples houses I always ask if they would like me to remove my shoes always thought it a bit odd on the occasion when people say its fine to wear shoes then going into the living room and seeing a new carpet or something and wondering why on earth they would want someone walking outdoor shoes on it but each to their own.

Shoes off in ours unless you're a guest and then I'd think it good manners if you asked.

Shoes are for outside, although I won't pretend there aren't the odd times when I'll work through the house in my shoes rather than take them off for a few minutes.

M

Grand Master
    Each guest at our house is issued with 2 x disposable overshoes, which they have to log out and then log in once they leave. Overalls and 3M face masks are optional, although highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    So let me get this straight you won't let me in wearing my shoes which will have a bit of dust on and I can wipe on your mat but you're happy for me to have my sweaty socks moist with living bacteria on your carpet?
    Yes your socks are only sweaty because you don't take your shoes off.

Which country do you live in to have only have a bit of dust on your shoes? It's been pissing down half the day here.

I was just out cutting the lawn, I assume if I was in your house I'd be leaving a trail of grass on your carpets?

None of my family wear shoes indoors, only the inlaws but their carpets are filthy and they have a dog. When the kids are at theirs I prefer them to keep shoes on but kids don't like wearing shoes all day so inevitably their white socks end up black.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yes your socks are only sweaty because you don't take your shoes off.

Which country do you live in to have only have a bit of dust on your shoes? It's been pissing down half the day here.

I was just out cutting the lawn, I assume if I was in your house I'd be leaving a trail of grass on your carpets?

None of my family wear shoes indoors, only the inlaws but their carpets are filthy and they have a dog. When the kids are at theirs I prefer them to keep shoes on but kids don't like wearing shoes all day so inevitably their white socks end up black.
    I don't have any carpets as I find they tend to harbour dirt and bacteria!
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    This!

Master
    What he said, unless you have carpets indoors which I actually find more unhealthy as there is always something growing on them even when you hoover regularly, but I will oblige when I am visiting

The OCD is soOOooOOoOOoOOoooooo strong here...

I have seen my father-in-law to walk in our house with wet shoes, go into the living room and then `stamp` his feet on the rugs/carpet to dry them off!!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I have seen my father-in-law to walk in our house with wet shoes, go into the living room and then `stamp` his feet on the rugs/carpet to dry them off!!
    hahahahaaa!!!!...excellent!
    sounds like a proper bloke .

Master
    Our shoes live in a rack by the front door. Socks and slippers in the house to stop treading outside stuff inside

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Our shoes live in a rack by the front door. Socks and slippers in the house to stop treading outside stuff inside
    +1, although I am lazy and on the hard floors (if my shoes are clean) I may just nip in to get something.

I do however do not walk with my cycling shoes inside, as I am worried about marking the flooring with the cleats

Having five dogs, people taking their shoes off when visiting would make no difference whatsoever.

Each to their own, but unless someone walked through the door in muddy walking boots or wellies I wouldn't dream of asking them to remove their footwear.

I'm amazed how many people have that 'no shoes' rule for themselves in the posts above... As I said in the OP, its honestly years since I came across a household that mandate it and I'm being 100% serious.

I couldn't imagine in a million years asking someone to take off their shoes to enter my home, I make the assumption that someone will not enter the house with a great deal of mess on their shoes and I must say no one has disappointed me in +20years of home ownership. Neither has anyone in my household fallen victim to Weils disease, Typhoid or other affliction.

Are we sure that shoes are the root of all evil gents ?

Master
    Do in my house, and always have. Important if you have young children whom tend to drop food on the floor and then pick it up and immediately eat it.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 30th July 2017 at 18:59.

I do in my house.I visit a lot of customers for surveys.First thing I ask is "Would you like me to remove my shoes"

Master
    Given how easy it is to remove them, and how much more comfortable it is, why wouldn't I? Don't really see the point in creating needless wear and tear or cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Do in my house, and always have. Important if you have young children whom tend to drop food on the floor and then pick it up and immediately eat it.

I don't have a strong opinion with way...

But isn't that Hungry Horace for your avatar?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shoes 'off' you filthy animals.

I don't ask anyone to take their shoes off when they come to my home. There's no need to, because everyone in Finland does that without asking. I don't know anyone who'd wear shoes in their home. Only time you wear shoes in someone's home is when you're all dressed up for a party, say a christening or such.

Those threads on removing stickers start to make sense......

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Those threads on removing stickers start to make sense......

Coffee now all over my screen and keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    No shoes here except if only going through the hall to the kitchen. I've taken my slippers to other peoples houses before.

You walk in all sorts on the pavements. Take your shoes off. It's the right thing to do.

Grand Master
    I wear shoes on my settee

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Craftsman
    No one ever asks me to take my shoes off in their house etc, but that's because I wear prosthetic legs

https://www.college-park.com/lower-l...feet/sidekicks
    Last edited by wolf; 30th July 2017 at 20:41.

Yes we all take our out door shoes off going indoors.
    Its our ancient tradition.

Sent from my PLUS using TZ-UK mobile app

Our ancient Persian tradition.

Sent from my PLUS using TZ-UK mobile app

Tile floors throughout and bare-feet this time of year, slippers or thick socks for the winter.

Heres the answer to your question OP. Me and the wife dont give a rats arse about that unless youre covered in dog crap...come on in

I refuse to enter any property where I'm required to remove my shoes.
    Maybe Holy ground as an exception.
    All others...no chance.
    Can't understand why some folk are so precious about this stuff.
    OCD maybe? Dunno.
    Life's too way too short to be hung up on material things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I do however have shoes I only wear indoors so they aren't dirty.
    Are they called slippers by any chance ? Shoes off for me, they're for walking outdoors. Why clump around wearing shoes indoors ? Seems a strange thing to do......

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shoes are optional for guests - we never ask guests to remove but find that most do remove them.

The only exception to this was in our old flat where we had a ecru-coloured carpet in the lounge, we asked people who went in there to remove shoes if it was winter/wet outside.

Craftsman
    chinese heritage grew up in Aus, spent loads of time training my friends to take their shoes off before coming into the house!