closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New boiler issue

New boiler issue

Hi
    I've had a new boiler fitted. A Worcester Bosch. It's got a water filter attached and it sounds like a running tap going through when the boiler is on.
    My plumber has advised that this is normal while the air locks clear.
    Does this make sense. It's been going for a week now and not a lot has changed

Thanks
    Andy

Sounds less than fantastic really. There should be no air in the system after correct installation so for it to be a week later sounds like you need him to get his ar$e round and deal with it.

Is it the water circulating in the radiator system as this should be sealed and will only come out from bleeding the radiators unless he has fitted an automatic bleeding device. If it is the hot water for bath etc then I suppose it is possible but I would expect it to clear pretty quickly if is mains pressure and if is stored it could lock the system. I think the advice is correct he needs to have a look at it or at least explain to you how the air got in and how it is going to get out by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bleed the rads, if it's still there, get him out.

If air in the rads it will mostly stay there and shouldn't be that noisy going through the filter.

Is it a magnetic filter? We have one and think that that can also be bled - have a look at that too (ours under piles of crap in airing cupboard so can't easily check).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If air in the rads it will mostly stay there and shouldn't be that noisy going through the filter.

Is it a magnetic filter? We have one and think that that can also be bled - have a look at that too (ours under piles of crap in airing cupboard so can't easily check).
    It's pretty bad. We can hear it from the other end of the kitchen. It sounds like water running through the filter, like a tap running.
    I tried the rads but they are all ok.
    I think it is a mag filter

I will have to get him back.

Thanks for all the replies

Andy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    It's pretty bad. We can hear it from the other end of the kitchen. It sounds like water running through the filter, like a tap running.

Andy
    If it's a mag filter there will be a bleed valve on it.

Craftsman

Andy
    They are usually quiet.
    They also have an auto air vent on the pump which works when the boiler is switched on after being isolated from the mains.
    Have you got the heating on?

Craftsman
    Not normal!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    They are usually quiet.
    They also have an auto air vent on the pump which works when the boiler is switched on after being isolated from the mains.
    Have you got the heating on?
    We tried heating to see if that cleared it but made no difference. Very strange

Jumping on the thread while it's here, I turned on the heating in our new (10-year-old) house last night to find only three of the radiators work. Is it a case of bleeding the rest or should I wait for the plumber to service the boiler and sort it out? Thanks!
    "A man of little significance"

I would say is possibly the thermostatic valves stuck on so not letting water through- you can remove the valves and either tap or l prefer pull up the pins to free them off. If you google will find a video or how to - is very simple just don't hit the pin with a hammer and bend it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We tried heating to see if that cleared it but made no difference. Very strange
    Water only goes through the filter when the heating is on. If it's making a noise with the heating off then that is very strange indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Jumping on the thread while it's here, I turned on the heating in our new (10-year-old) house last night to find only three of the radiators work. Is it a case of bleeding the rest or should I wait for the plumber to service the boiler and sort it out? Thanks!
    I'd bleed all the radiators first and see if that fixes it, and only call the boilerman if it doesn't.

That said, do you know when the boiler last had a service?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would say is possibly the thermostatic valves stuck on so not letting water through- you can remove the valves and either tap or l prefer pull up the pins to free them off. If you google will find a video or how to - is very simple just don't hit the pin with a hammer and bend it.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I'd bleed all the radiators first and see if that fixes it, and only call the boilerman if it doesn't.

That said, do you know when the boiler last had a service?
    Thanks both, I'll have a play around when I get home later.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Water only goes through the filter when the heating is on. If it's making a noise with the heating off then that is very strange indeed.
    No, it's only when the heating / water is on

If some of the rads are working unlikely to be the boiler.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, it's only when the heating / water is on
    Water as in hot water tap on? The filter is only used for the central heating. There is a valve at the bottom of it. Turn it SLOWLY as its pressurised with a bucket underneath to let some water out. See if that does anything. You will need to pressurise the system afterwards to 1 bar.

Sent from my LG-H815 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Hi

The previous owners may have turned some of the radiators off at the side opposite the thermostat valve.
    Last edited by johny; 10th August 2017 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi

The previous owners may have turned some of the radiators off at the side opposite the thermostat valve.
    Ok, thank you

Banned
    See you have a considerably newer house than me, the one my wife owns in Bibury is over 200 years old, wish I had a new house.