closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Changing motorbike reg number

Hybrid View

Changing motorbike reg number

I've been offered a fantastic vanity reg number for my motorbike, and the owner tells me that he has the retention certificate. How complex is the change process at my end of we proceed, and is it particularly expensive?

Easy enough to do it on line & I don't think there is a fee for the buyer.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Changing motorbike reg number

It’s easy Tony, as long as you have the retention certificate reference number and your V5c.

Don’t forget to let your insurance company know straight away though. Oh, and be prepared to pay their admin charge (although sometimes they waive it).

Thanks all (I've been offered T120 XX so I think I'm going to have to buy it!).

Do I automatically get a retention certificate for the bike's current number?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Yes…. Just be aware though that if the plate is T12 OXX, but you space it as T120 XX, and you attract the attention of the authorities, you run the risk of having the plate confiscated.

Not to scaremonger but I do know of a couple of instances where ANPR cameras have recognised miss spacing and issued automatic fines and a warning that if spotted again the plate will be forfitted.

Really easy. You just need the retention certificate number and V5. You can change it instantaneously online, so it’s best to get the plates made up first. As said before, once swapped you just let your insurance company know. Mine (Admiral) charged £5.50 admin fee and all done online straight away.

The old number plate would get re-assigned to the vehicle when you apply to retain your private plate.

I wouldn’t space the plate against the rules…it’s just not worth the attention or having to swap plates for MOT etc.
    Last edited by Christian; 13th May 2024 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

I don't suppose it's T120 LTF...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    If I were you I'd check what the plate will look like with legal spacing, and if you space it illegally how much hassle you might want to attract.

Some plates. https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.u...super_priceto=

Or....https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.u...super_priceto=
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 13th May 2024 at 17:09.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s easy Tony, as long as you have the retention certificate reference number and your V5c.

Don’t forget to let your insurance company know straight away though. Oh, and be prepared to pay their admin charge (although sometimes they waive it).
    Wot he said!!

Jim

No, but the bikes current number will stay with the bike and when you move your private plate, the bike will revert back to the current number.

So save your plate, it will save you £15-£20 on a new one when the time comes.