closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else sick of Paul Newman?!

Anyone else sick of Paul Newman?!

I was going to post this last night but thought maybe not, maybe it's just me and my Watchville app does have some articles which show on a number of sites. But I opened it again just now and I'm greeted by the last of a three part series about Paul Newman and his bloody Daytona. Talk about flogging a dead horse. Anyone else sick of it or is it just me?! It's like Godwin's law, you're never more than a few clicks from him (or Steve McQueen)

It's coming up for auction soon isn't it. Haven't seen the articles you are referring to, but aren't people speculating anywhere between 7 and 10 million.

That's a hefty premium for an actual connection to the man himself for a watch that you could buy for a little over £100k - if your pockets were deep enough of course. I won't be bidding

It sure will sell for some crazy money. I haven't seen that much written about it, but then again, I don't get out much.

Perhaps the greatest grail watch ever (along with Castros GMT, Armstrong's Speedy, etc ) found after it was thought to have been lost, for sale in a forth coming auction and likely to be the fetch a 8 figure sum?

And on a watch website.

Who would have guessed

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Anyone else sick of it or is it just me?!
    Just you, I guess.

I'm a bit bored with 'Should I buy a Rolex?' threads, though...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Just you, I guess.

M
    I wouldn't mind seeing a "should I buy Paul Newmans Rolex" thread! 🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Just you, I guess.

M
    Yep I’m kind of over the ‘I could buy this Rolex or I could buy this Rolex but which one?? PLEASE HELP’ threads too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    It sure will sell for some crazy money. I haven't seen that much written about it, but then again, I don't get out much.
    I can vouch for this. The crazy money part anyway.

Master
    I have found almost all "Paul Newman" Daytonas disappoining in the metal. There is a story about an emperor and his new clothes....

The dials are fussy. I cannot reconcile the cubist, painted indices on the sub-dials with the stylised, cursive numerals. It rankles rather like the committee-led detailing of cars from the Orient whose manufacturers are blindly assembling disparate elements of European style.

The hysteria certainly outweights the reality, for me.

My greatest excitement came when I had mine serviced at Rolex London and, in what I believe to be unprecedented fashion, they documented it as being a "Paul Newman" dial, a term they have traditionally never adopted ("exotic" being their convention).

Good luck to those who love them. While accepting that I am normally a champion of all things Rolex, on these "I'm out."

Haywood

Just you, I guess.

M
    Are we not due another "Rolex prices about to go up" Thread.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I have found almost all "Paul Newman" Daytonas disappoining in the metal. There is a story about an emperor and his new clothes....

The dials are fussy. I cannot reconcile the cubist, painted indices on the sub-dials with the stylised, cursive numerals. It rankles rather like the committee-led detailing of cars from the Orient whose manufacturers are blindly assembling disparate elements of European style.

My greatest excitement came when I had mine serviced at Rolex London and, in what I believe to be unprecedented fashion, they documented it as being a "Paul Newman" dial, a term they have traditionally never adopted ("exotic" being their convention).

Good luck to those who love them. While accepting that I am normally a champion of all things Rolex, on these "I'm out."

Haywood
    For once, a Rolex that I actually like! No Arabic numbers on the dial.... and NO Hideous Cyclops :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    For once, a Rolex that I actually like! No Arabic numbers on the dial.... and NO Hideous Cyclops :-)
    Erm....no arabic numerals on the dial?

Craftsman
    Erm....no arabic numerals on the dial?
    Err Ok, I mean the typical 1 -12 commonly used on dials......

I saw the watch last night (at least I assume that was the watch, on its own in a display cabinet). Not very exciting and don't care a fig about it being Newman's own watch. Would I wear it instead of the tatty Heuer 2446 I had on my wrist? Nope.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It's coming up for auction soon isn't it. Haven't seen the articles you are referring to, but aren't people speculating anywhere between 7 and 10 million.

That's a hefty premium for an actual connection to the man himself for a watch that you could buy for a little over £100k - if your pockets were deep enough of course. I won't be bidding
    I thought that was conservative a couple of months ago, but now we are in a global bull market I think it could go for much more.

Master

Haywood
    Did that put the price up after they documented it as a "Paul Newman" dial.

Master
    YEAH I am!

And his sauces are rubbish

Master
    I can appreciate the importance of this watch but I really don’t get excited with Daytona’s or any chronograph from any other brand.
    Having said that, I’d love to have one sitting as an investment, but wrist time no.

I agree that the Newman dial is fussy. I much prefer the big red and would rather have Bobdogs Daytona over any Paul Newman.

The PN seems to be a must have watch in any collection of the rich and famous.

Come on Bob, an opportunity to post another pic of my favourite watch owned by any forum member.

Master
    Here you go Ken, who is this Paul Newman bloke anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Absolutely stunning Bob, the perfect Daytona and yet at the time these weren't selling and forced Rolex to start work on the Zenith based 165xx range of watches as a replacement.

Anyone else sick of Paul Newman?!
    No, I could watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid all day long.
    Oh sorry, it's a watch. Move along.

I suppose being so sick of hearing about Paul Newman I shouldn't have started a thread about him because now I'm kicking myself!

Just going to have to give in and bid for it.

Well, I'm with Ped, but then I could never 'get' the extraordinary cost of provenance when it has no bearing on the watch itself (i.e. its appearance, construction and current state). Added to which, I prefer the aesthetics of the Speedmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    No, I could watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid all day long.
    Oh sorry, it's a watch. Move along.
    He's been a bit of a hero for me since finishing second at Le Mans in 1979 - Happened to be the first time I went to the race, too, so it stuck in my mind!

M

Craftsman

That is a thing of beauty! I'm not at all clued up on anything pre Zenith Daytona. What year is this? Any further information?

For me, Paul Newman/Steve McQueen are icons (their passion for racing cars is a winner for me) and two of the coolest people to ever walk the planet. Sorry to disagree with the thread!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    That is a thing of beauty! I'm not at all clued up on anything pre Zenith Daytona. What year is this? Any further information?

For me, Paul Newman/Steve McQueen are icons (their passion for racing cars is a winner for me) and two of the coolest people to ever walk the planet. Sorry to disagree with the thread!
    That to me is a late 1974 early 1975 Daytona 6263 Big Red with a floating dial, these superseded the earlier variations and were slightly larger, the silver dial on this early one is considered more attractive than the later models due to its pearlescent nature. Newman also owned at least one of these as does Daniel Craig and Roger Federer although Federer has the black dial variant, also not forgetting bobdog.

That to me is a late 1974 early 1975 Daytona 6263 Big Red with a floating dial, these superseded the earlier variations and were slightly larger, the silver dial on this early one is considered more attractive than the later models due to its pearlescent nature. Newman also owned at least one of these as does Daniel Craig and Roger Federer although Federer has the black dial variant, also not forgetting bobdog.
    Hi Bob, can I ask why these are referred to a floating dials. I have recently acquired a Mark 1 Zenith with the floating dial, because the final line of text is separated by a gap or blank line. Looking at yours and other 4 digit references that are called floating dials the text appears to be together.

Or is it more to do with printed text appearing on a pearlescent background creating an almost 3D effect.

Master
    With the 6263 it's because the red Daytona is quite high above the sub dial on others it's practically sat on the dial with very little gap. The term big red relates to the length of Daytona, on a small red or service dial it is shorter.

With the 6263 it's because the red Daytona is quite high above the sub dial on others it's practically sat on the dial with very little gap. The term big red relates to the length of Daytona, on a small red or service dial it is shorter.
    Thanks Bob, that makes sense, every day is a school day. I have been researching Porcelain dials, that is another minefield.

No but I'm sick of the bloody 'brogues' thread .
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    No but I'm sick of the bloody 'brogues' thread .
    I need a new pair of slippers, mine have started leaking when I go outside and it's wet. Should I start a thread, help me to buy some slippers - which ones and why. I have seen a lovely sheepskin pair for £45 - they look well toasty.

I need a new pair of slippers, mine have started leaking when I go outside and it's wet. Should I start a thread, help me to buy some slippers - which ones and why. I have seen a lovely sheepskin pair for £45 - they look well toasty.
    Have you a link as I need some new slippers as well.

Have you a link as I need some new slippers as well.
    https://lhco.co.uk/Men-s-Full-Sheeps...E#.WdaGONHTWhA

They are on offer. I think I am going to order some of these, the look the dogs.

If you google sheepskin slippers there are loads of 'Traditional British' manufacturers selling stuff. I am getting hacked off with M&S, Clarks etc - damn things fall to bits after a few months.

Those above look well good and have hard soles for popping outside.

99% of the time I wear my Ugg ‘outdoor slippers’ they’re fabulous, even great for driving as they have a nice rounded heel.

http://www.ugg.com/uk/ascot/5775SS.h...d=men-slippers

When I had truly given up on life as a teacher I wore them to work. The then headmaster saw and said ‘Chris, are you wearing slippers’. I returned his gaze and flatly said yes. Yes I am. Buggered off that afternoon.

One wonders what Paul Newman wore...
    Last edited by ped; 5th October 2017 at 21:39.

Thoae Uggs look really nice and it does say wear them anywhere.

Sod PN and his overpriced watch, decent slippers are the order of the day.

Something good has come of this after all. Congratulations chaps, a real team effort :)

Something good has come of this after all. Congratulations chaps, a real team effort :)
    Thanks, I ordered those sheepskin slippers after posting a link, I was worried in case you lot started ordering them and they sold out.

Great thread - great result

Thanks, I ordered those sheepskin slippers after posting a link, I was worried in case you lot started ordering them and they sold out.

I expect a full review when they arrive. Just in time for winter, too. Nice one!

I had thought of ordering a few pairs, sticking a pair in the safe, and making a handsome profit on the others, speculate to accumulate

I had thought of ordering a few pairs, sticking a pair in the safe, and making a handsome profit on the others, speculate to accumulate
    Good idea, list them as Speedy Slippers

Good idea, list them as Speedy Slippers
    But is it the rocky road to 'slipper flipper'?

But is it the rocky road to 'slipper flipper'?
    You'd be a silly kipper to flip a slipper.

You'd be a silly kipper to flip a slipper.
    Ugg.

It's a slipper-y slope a-foot

Craftsman
    Does anyone have any links or resources where you can read up on "non-step" dials.

Thanks

Master

Haywood
    There is a reason the regular version outsold the PNs at an 8 to 1 rate, isn’t? I have heard stories of dealers offering the regular dials as an add on to get them off their shops back in the day.
    I have always liked the spartan looks of the regular versions much more attractive

I expect a full review when they arrive. Just in time for winter, too. Nice one!
    They have arrived:

Very comfortable and they certainly look to be good quality. First time in my life I have paid £40 for slippers, so hopefully a good investment.

They sent me a 10% discount code for my next purchase. So if anyone is thinking of buying anything let me know and I will ping the code. Can't guarantee that it'll work, but you will find out at check out.

www.lhco.co.uk

Master
    Very nice indeed and have added an air of mystery to your feet, can't compete with those as I am still at the M&S mocassin level BUT I recently bought a new electric kettle which I am very pleased with, it's a Bosch and makes some very interesting electronic beeps!

Very nice indeed and have added an air of mystery to your feet, can't compete with those as I am still at the M&S mocassin level BUT I recently bought a new electric kettle which I am very pleased with, it's a Bosch and makes some very interesting electronic beeps!
    I really needed to step up a level, Matalan, Primark, M&S, Clarks and even BHS back in the day and I struggle to get a few months out of them.

Don't start me on kettles, we are on about our forth on the same guarantee from about three years ago. After 9 months it packs up, so they replace it with a fresh 12 warranty. 10 months later that one packs up and on it goes. Currently struggling with the current one, the lid keeps popping open.

Now where did I put that receipt again