closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apologies, but roughly how much???

Apologies, but roughly how much???

Apologies for the question as I guess it’s open to interpretation.

My dad bought a Rolex 36mm Datejust when he retired back in 2012 new from Goldsmiths. He’s barely worn it over 12 years (probably about 6-8 times).

So he asked me roughly how much it’s worth if he wanted to sell, which to be honest I don’t really know so I thought I’d ask here.

So it’s a 2012 116203 36mm Datejust with the Grey face, Numeral digit’s and the 18k gold/steel bracelet. It’s a full set with tags, spare link, card, cloth boxes etc etc.

Any ideas please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 15th May 2024 at 19:18.

Master
    A dealer would try to get £7k in great condition and with a guarantee - hard to say what it's like from the photo (a digital picture always overstates the number of scratches). Might be a bit toppy in this market though.

Selling on the forum (or a buy-in from a dealer) would be more like £5-5.5k, I'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    A dealer would try to get £7k in great condition and with a guarantee - hard to say what it's like from the photo (a digital picture always overstates the number of scratches). Might be a bit toppy in this market though.

Selling on the forum (or a buy-in from a dealer) would be more like £5-5.5k, I'd have thought.
    Thanks for that, I'll tell him next time I'm over.

Blog Entries
    Calling Haywood and Verv….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Are you sure it's only been worn 6-8 times?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    6-8 times, and once through the washing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I know what my Dad's like, he only worn it for special occasion's and they have been few and far between so yes about 6-8 times. Scratches look worse on the camera than in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    6-8 times, and once through the washing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Don't be a nob mate, take a day off...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Don't be a nob mate, take a day off...
    The scuffs on the gold centre links don't really tie-in with that 6-8 story, it looks like it's been worn considerable more frequently than that. If he's trying to sell it any dealer will insist getting it detailed, and if he's looking to sell it privately then you'll need to find a non-watch person who might believe that story. If it's twelve years old, I'd suggest getting it serviced by Rolex with a polish to make it a stronger proposition. You'll have the advantage having to deal with low-ball offers who will using the condition as leverage (or digest similar observations to mine).

Master
    You only need to breathe on polished gold centre links and they pick up surface swirls. Easily possible that this was done simply from storage and handling.

I’m sure it’s all superficial. Some of it just looks like dirt too, so would probably clean up well.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    You only need to breathe on polished gold centre links and they pick up surface swirls. Easily possible that this was done simply from storage and handling.
    I’m sure it’s all superficial. Some of it just looks like dirt too, so would probably clean up well.
    I would agree with that - they appear to be surface swirls and some dirt - a non issue.
    Servicing wouldnt significantly increase value as it's a tricky configuration but would appease private buyers.

Grand Master
    There was a time when I really lusted after one of these and came very close to buying, that's when grey dealers were selling at around £4K.

Only 3 dial combinations work in my opinion, that's white, black and grey/silver, so this one ticks the box and it's probably the best, it's mistake with bi-metal to have too many contrasting colours/finishes going on.

When I looked at the pictures my first impression was that some very light refinishing will help the watch, the centre links will always show fine scratches but at least with gold (vs steel) it's a simple job to loose them, a rub with a rouge cloth will suffice but be v. careful not to rub the brushed areas, I would always mask up to avoid this.

At this age it makes sense to service the watch, a dealer will factor this in.

Overall it's an excellent example, provided all the original links are present along with box & papers it should fetch a strong offer from a dealer. What represents 'strong money'?......... that's a good question. Turn the clock back 8-9 years I would've been keen to buy it for myself, but I`ve moved on since then and I know for a fact I`d hardly ever wear it.

I`ve bought and sold with Gary Sanderson in the past and I`ve been happy, suggest you contact him.

Essentially the same as my wifes watch which is a few years newer though. I had it serviced last year by Perpetual Time in Liverpool, full service and case refinish was approx £450 which may be worth investing in given the age of this. The primary wear area was the rotor weight jewel which is a common issue on this movement - symptom was rotor noise when on the wrist and poor power reserve which in turn meant the time keeping wasnt great.
    BTW I agree with the centre links being vulnerable to scratches particularly when wearing it and doing some gardening….
    Keith

Not normally into Roman numerals but they suit that just fine.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post

I think these figures are about right.

H