closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the furthest you have driven?

Google reckons Tromso to Lisbon would take 52 hours. Malmo just over the halfway point, in time taken.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've been to madness, via my wife.

R
    That is one step beyond...

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Close.

Bag of sand.

Still truly frightening on the motorway.
    Your not wrong there.

Craftsman
    If motorbikes count we do 600 miles in 1 day to Le Mans every year. Then been on many 3000 miles round trip rides, Barcelona, Valencia, Rimini and Florence a few times. Gotta say it’s knackering !!!

Grand Master
    Pila to Camberley in one sitting 830 miles with 2 toilet stops

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Yorkshire to Puerto Pollensa, ok for a short while the car was on a train going beneath the sea, and also on a ferry from Barcelona to Palma, but you get the picture,
    oh I nearly forgot,
    Adelaide to Brisbane via Broken Hill.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Wow some epic drives on here. Makes my trip to Scotland and back seem like a drive to the local shops.

Master
    During our honeymoon in 1989, we took a campervan from Brisbane to Cairns along the Bruce Highway, about 1700kms. It probably took us about a week stopping off here and there. My lasting memory is of long straight roads with just the odd roadtrain for company.
    We did over 1200kms last year, again in a campervan (SWMBO's idea), round Western Australia which was chalk and cheese to Queensland.
    Not particularly epic but good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Rod - you can't just put that one down without telling us more...
    OK Alan, it was a Comex (Commonwealth) expedition, the longest (I believe) single overland expedition ever undertaken. Drove from London through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Yugoslavia (Serbia now), Greece, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Kyber Pass, to West Pakistan, down central India, but beaten by the Monsoon season and trapped in floods, so we couldn't make Srilanka, which was our destination. Nearly 4 months of travel. Was very tough going and trained with the Army at Aldershot before going. That was a highlight of my life for me, never to be repeated or forgotten.
    I had the choice of that expedition or a few months on the Sir Winston Churchill sail training ship... but I didn't fancy looking at the sea for that long and climbing up and down rigging lol.
    I'm off to Aldi shopping now only... a short drive!
    Last edited by Rod; 29th November 2017 at 21:01.

Lands End to John O'Groats..
    After riding to Lands end from london we then set off at 8pm for John O'Groats for an overnight ride.

London to Morocco in two days - That's two days riding through France and Spain, no ferry to spain.
    Done that ride a few times over the years. Once riding down to the Mauritanian border.

Master
    I used to live in Austin Tx, the thanksgiving I moved over there (with 3 others) we rented a car and drove to see our friend in Miami. Took us 20+ hours to do the 1300+ miles. We stayed in miami for a few days and then headed back. Was fun but then I was 22 at the time.

Longest drive I've done was Noosa to Sydney over a week following the Gold Coast, lovely drive and would like to drive the Great Ocean Road from Sydney to Melbourne one day.

Longest drive in a day was York to St Ives, Google says it's around 7 hours, but in the height of summer it took us over 10.

By comparison Google suggests Rotterdam to Lake Garda can be done in 12 hours, so over a couple of days sounds OK.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Reading an article in Evo magazine about the 720S being driven through Italy and it got me thinking that one day when the kids fly the nest I'd like to drive down to and around Lake Garda taking in the beautiful countryside all along the route. I'm under no illusions though that it would be a big undertaking as the furthest I have driven so far is to Glasgow, albeit from South Wales.
    What's the furthest you have driven?
    Me and some mates drove our landrovers from Cambridge to the med via France Belgium Luxembourg Switzerland Italy and Monaco, with a week climbing in Chamonix in the middle. Great fun!

Master
    Not a huge distance but I drove through Spain to Andorra and it was a great drive!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spanish side of the Pyrenees to Staffordshire 21 hrs 1132 miles with a 3hr stop on the ferry. it was a breeze in my new at the time A5 3.0 ltr Quattro.
    Last edited by hilly10; 29th November 2017 at 12:53.

Master
    In one day many times Aberdeen to Porthleven in Cornwall (about 700 miles).

And Vegas to Grand Canyon and back in a day (about 550 miles).

Menton to Le Touquet, just shy of 800 miles in a Fiat X19 about 14 years ago, roof off all the way except for 50 miles of torrential rain!

Also done Stuttgart to Sheffield, about 750 miles in a Fiat Cinquecento about 18 years ago, intended to stop over near Calais, but felt fine and pressed on home!

I dont think I could put up with the volume of traffic and bad drivers over such a distance nowadays.

In a single push - home in Surrey to Sete, South of France - circa 800 miles.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Personally doing the driving UK to the Dordogne a couple of times but when was a Kid we did Uk to south spain, 4 up plus tent and all the equipment in a ford Anglia,
    one stop in Perpignan.
    We Also did Uk to Ravenna in a Morris Oxford series V towing a caravan just about made it up the St Gothard pass, had to stop at the top to let it cool down and top
    up the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have done Edinburgh to Essex non-stop once, that's my longest single stint, but I have taken it in turns doing Essex to Alicante in Spain doing 4 hour stints in continuous rotation, I think it clocked as 1200 miles. I do fancy a drive to the Alps to go skiing one year too.
    You didn’t happen to do that in a van with some off road bikes in the back?

Luxembourg to Stockholm in 2010 and back again in 2012. The return trip is musically doumented here.

Many trips from Luxembourg to Bolzano and back, mostly with a few motorbikes on the trailer.

Craftsman
    Did Javea to Glasgow and Glasgow to Javea a few times when I lived there.

Javea to Estepona as well in a plastic Mehari. Great run!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You didn’t happen to do that in a van with some off road bikes in the back?
    No it was an old Toyota Corolla I'm afraid, my Dad bought it and left it at his villa so we were just taking it out for him. Intrigued about the van story, sounds like good fun?

Craftsman
    Longest in a single drive was St Moritz to Crewe - just over 1550km and about 17 hours including the tunnel crossing. Two of us sharing the driving in a V10 Diesel VW Phaeton - a rare beast and a simply effortless way to cover that distance.

Craftsman
    In one go, Santander to the south of Spain in my defender towing a vintage Massey tractor and topper. It’s a long drive at 60mph!!

No it was an old Toyota Corolla I'm afraid, my Dad tbought it and left it at his villa so we were just taking it out for him. Intrigued about the van story, sounds like good fun?
    When I lived in Spain, I had an off-road motorcycling holiday business. One group from Essex always wanted to bring their own bikes and drove down in a van.

We lived close to Alicante so I just wondered.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 29th November 2017 at 15:34.

The longest in a single day was Berlin > Cologne > Berlin to relocate a CDROM server; about 1200km. I hired an E-Class estate with the biggest available engine and the driving was split between two of us.

In 2002 we did a 3000km touring holiday through Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic in an original Mini (though it was only a year old) but over a period of 3 weeks.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Two months ago I have driven from Cologne to Montenegro and back with overnight stops in Austria and Croatia and some extra miles around Lake Garda. Great trip with my SLK320, although I wasn't able to open the roof due to my better halfs luggage quantity...
    Last edited by mariod; 29th November 2017 at 18:26. Reason: typo

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I drove 2500 miles in a week (in reality in 5 'driving' days) for my 40th a few years ago. Longest day was 750 miles from San Francisco to Vegas, through the Sierra Nevada mountains and Death Valley.

It was epic, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Master
    Last year I drove from Shropshire to Beaune in 1 day. 650 ish miles, enjoyed everyone of em especially on the French side.

When I was working, and had a set 2 week holiday in the summer, the wife and I would easily do 2000 to 3000 miles on my motorbike, all,over France, Germany and Switzerland...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    When I lived in Spain, I had an off-road motorcycling holiday business. One group from Essex always wanted to bring their own bikes and drove down in a van.

We lived close to Alicante so I just wondered.
    Oh I see, I would love to do some off and on road biking around there. The inland roads are truly epic, my parents villa is in the Carrascetta mountain region near Xixona/Jijona so there are an abundance of hairpin switchbacks and numerous gravel tracks. Its a side of Spain most people never see but a wonderful Country.

Apprentice
    Uk to Germany and back in one day installed a mainframe computer whilst there :0) I was somewhat younger then lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Munich to Hampshire about 760 miles iirc

Hampshire to the Isle of Skye a few times - 660 miles. Boring motorway combined with stunning scenery once over the border.

Rhode Island to Miami, moving a car from summer to winter training camp for the America's cup challenge I was a part of as a youngster, 1500 mile approx

Craftsman
    Monico in one day and only 5min last for an appointment. BE FOR SAT NAV

Craftsman
    Colchester to Morzine.

Its around 900 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Monico in one day and only 5min last for an appointment. BE FOR SAT NAV
    I don't know where Monico is, but I'm very much "for" Sat Nav.

Oh I see, I would love to do some off and on road biking around there. The inland roads are truly epic, my parents villa is in the Carrascetta mountain region near Xixona/Jijona so there are an abundance of hairpin switchbacks and numerous gravel tracks. Its a side of Spain most people never see but a wonderful Country.
    I had a place just outside Castalla. My day three route (the toughest) passed just north of Xixona. There were a couple of tracks up firebreaks that I’m sure were doable but never actually made it to the top. Coming down was equally scary!

The N340 up to Alcoy and back through Ibi was one of my favourite routes on the road bike.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 29th November 2017 at 20:16.

I used to do deliveries to garden centres, late 80’s I did, Colchester to Cumbria, then Glasgow to Edinburgh then back to Cambridge in a day, all in a Toyota Hiace van, got to a friend in Cambridge and wanted to take a break then drive home but found once I’d stopped I could drive again. It was 970 odd miles but I couldn’t do the extra to round it up.

It was the perfect storm, empty roads, good weather and no speed traps in those days.

Coventry to Munich just over 810 miles non-stop apart from fuel stops

A few years ago i did Manchester to Denia in Spain, then ferry over to Ibiza where we stopped for one night then returned the same way.

It was quite an experience, as we did it in one of the original Smart Cars, with the tiny 600cc engine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    On separate trips - Lake Garda, Lake Constance, and Florence in the Motorhome, 500 miles per day at 60mph.
    I know plenty of people with holiday homes or apartments who drive to Southern France, or Spain.

My mate drove down to Nice in a transit (2-days), unpacked his furniture next morning, then headed back home.
    Right up my street that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Dungeness to Barrow in Furness without stopping, did that a fair few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did West London to Northern Italy in July. 1100 miles in just under 24 miles

I was a bit apprehensive about driving on the continent but it was great. 8 countries in total. Set off about 8am and had to stop in the Alps near Salzburg / Villach as I was knackered. Stopped at 3am , got going again at 7 and arrived in Udine at 830.

Just wish I'd done it sooner.

20 years ago, bought a Pontiac Sunbird turbo convertible in Orlando and drove across the US to San Diego with lots of zig-zags along the way. Don't remember the mileage but took about 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    I did West London to Northern Italy in July. 1100 miles
    ... 8 countries in total.
    Blimey, what route did you take? I'd bin your satnav!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Midland UK to South France and then back up for the Le Mans 48 hour race.
    All in a classic 1988 Mercedes SL 4.2 V8. No hardship there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwich to belgrade in a citroen acadiane. This was before the wall came down - through holland, berlin, east Germany, czechslovakia, hungary, yugo.
    Last edited by seikopath; 30th November 2017 at 02:59.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Melbourne to Port Douglas. Then Port Douglas to Darwin. Then Darwin to Adelaide. Then Adelaide to Perth. This was all in a 1973 Ford Falcon and spread over 6 months but I did some monster runs, with the occasional 24 hour drive.

Edit. Just remembered a highlight. Trying to find the Bundaberg rum factory I stopped to ask a guy for directions. He said give me your map and I’ll show you. I said I don’t have a map. He shouted “What sort of a dumb c*nt travels Australia without a map?!” and walked off. Still amuses me. I did buy a map shortly after.
    Last edited by PipPip; 21st December 2017 at 17:25.