closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garages

Garages

I moved recently and took the opportunity to divert some of the decorating budget to paint the garage.

My wife wasn't that keen at first but she's now come round to the fact that it's a part of the house and deserved a lick of paint, some improved lighting and security and some of my sign collection.

Have others gone to similar lengths I wonder?

I certainly have. To the extent of painting, plasterboard ceiling, concealed lighting, H&C water, Belfast sink, hi-fi and carpeting.

It's a man-cave - and every man should have one. ;-)

Yours looks good.

Edit: Pic of mine before it was completely finished.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 3rd December 2017 at 17:24.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Moving soon (solicitors permitting!!) and will have separate double garage. Thinking of half for workshop space and half for motorcycle (motorcycles?) space.
    Probably plasterboard ceiling and stud wall.
    Already told the Mrs it's a no go area!!

Plasterboard ceiling is a big plus IMO, especially in a gabled roof. I had mine insulated above & then boarded over, thus producing practical storage and an easy access ladder for convenience.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Garages

Mildly jealous, I have one of those modern garages where the Spitfire fills most of the space, to the point that I need to get the CG 125 out if I want to get in...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Nice vintage sign & Henry collection.

Master
    Sadly, I have a rather thin (but long) garage which makes it restricted in how usable it is.

Ralphy - now that is what I call a garage!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Plasterboard ceiling is a big plus IMO, especially in a gabled roof. I had mine insulated above & then boarded over, thus producing practical storage and an easy access ladder for convenience.

R
    Was thinking of storage over ceiling, will have to check that out. Have some guys who could sort that so will run it by them. It's a good idea.

Wife was banned from garage on day one, now its full of cars and rally plaques. Dehumidifier is a must as is some background heating. Paint the walls and floors to keep the dust down (tiling floor next on list).
    SJ - swop it for a seafire - you can fold the wings then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    Wife was banned from garage on day one, now its full of cars and rally plaques. Dehumidifier is a must as is some background heating. Paint the walls and floors to keep the dust down (tiling floor next on list).
    SJ - swop it for a seafire - you can fold the wings then.
    pmsl -only on here.

If you’re serious about car storage, a dehumidifier isn’t always the best answer (can dry out seals etc). If you’re trying to combat moisture accumulation from condensation, a small heater with thermostat can often be a better option.

After looking at those lovely garages earlier, I thought I would bring the level down to what most garages probably look like.

Having a complete bathroom refit in early January so a lot of the stuff is stored in there. You can get a car in there when it is cleared.

Very proud of that image, especially the pull down thing on the back of the garage door captured beautifully in the top left hand corner.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd December 2017 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Mildly jealous, I have one of those modern garages where the Spitfire fills most of the space, to the point that I need to get the CG 125 out if I want to get in...
    I have a poxy size garage too, the flat is 50 years old and cars were smaller in them days. My SLK (hardly a big car) pretty much fills it. I have major envy of ralphy's garage, a CL and an A8 and room to spare..

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I have a poxy size garage too, the flat is 50 years old and cars were smaller in them days. My SLK (hardly a big car) pretty much fills it. I have major envy of ralphy's garage, a CL and an A8 and room to spare..

Cheers,

Plug
    Funnily enough whilst car sizes have massively increased the norms for garages haven’t, at least in the SE. A Fiesta fits in on of my neighbours’ if she reverses (because of a protruding bit on the wall where the door opening is if she drives in), and carpet on the walls are a must to avoid scraping when getting in and out. Most leave the car outside on the Private parking and use the garage as a storage area.

Strangely enough just going through this process...
    "Man cave" has about 28 ft of workbenches going in after floors had 3 coats of paint and new strip lighting
    Great fun

Craftsman
    My old house had a 2.5 car garage, which was awesome.

I kept my Integrale in it, so that she was well looked after and had the remaining 1.5 spaces as a workout area. Plus a few old arcade machines. Sadly when we moved, the new house has a double garage, but its end to end and I couldn't safely get everything in.

So after 15 years of ownership, my baby was sold along with the arcade machine collection.
    Integrales had shot up in value at the time, so it possibly made sense to sell as the new house needed complete renovation. Still miss it though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    After looking at those lovely garages earlier, I thought I would bring the level down to what most garages probably look like.

Having a complete bathroom refit in early January so a lot of the stuff is stored in there. You can get a car in there when it is cleared.

Very proud of that image, especially the pull down thing on the back of the garage door captured beautifully in the top left hand corner.
    Are you open to offers on that Neo-Georgian chest of drawers bottom left. If original Drew will be round tomorrow!

Master
    I’ll be doing the opposite to this in the next few years. I plan on Knocking my garage down and using the combined garage and driveway space (they are side by side) to put up a massive 8X7 meter log cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Are you open to offers on that Neo-Georgian chest of drawers bottom left. If original Drew will be round tomorrow!
    Very rare those, they have a Chippendale label on the reverse, either that or Homebase - one or the other.

There was a trend round our way a few years back for people to brick up the garage entrance, put a window in and convert the garage into a kitchen extension or an additional room.

Journeyman
    Before and after.
    Buying the 911 a couple of years ago prompted a drastic makeover. The missus is also banned from this room!😂

I buy, sell and rent garages as a hobby and love changing them from old wrecks to decent man caves/storage areas. Normally, the interiors get 3+ coats of sandtex brilliant white exterior paint to brighten the walls up. I seal the concrete to stop the dust and then apply two coats of two pack epoxy floor paint. I've yet to use the rubber flooring that some go for. I've just fitted out a double garage about half a mile away from home (coincidentally I have no garage at home), with 4 led batons and double power sockets all around and run it all off of my Honda eu20i silent generator. Head over to detailing world if our interested in man caves. I thought I was a bit of a nut job for garages/man caves...those boys are on a next level!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Luxury!

You couldn't get a modern car in my garage!
    Still having a "garage" in London zone 3, I can't complain.

Cheers

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th December 2017 at 07:57. Reason: Pic deleted as it showed number plate

I really wish I had a proper Jeep.

You don't it's a bit of a pig!
    A fun pig but a pig all the same!

All cars from a certain era are. But as I am sure you know some itches need to be scratched.

Garages

All cars from a certain era are. But as I am sure you know some itches need to be scratched.
    True...
    It's my one and only dream car. "best sports car the American ever made" - Enzo Ferarri.
    The number of people that stop and want a picture with it is unbelievable.
    It's easy to maintain but does take regular maintenance.

Anyhoo let's not derail the thread...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th December 2017 at 07:56. Reason: Pic deleted as it showed number plate

Master
    It never ceases to amaze me how many of my neighbours don’t garage their cars but use the space for what appears to be junk storage.

I guess it doesn’t help that garages appear to be the same width as they were when I was a child yet cars have become much wider. I have to fold my door mirrors in to drive in and my Golf is hardly a big car in this day and age.

Apparently the rule rule on our estate is one less parking space than bedrooms so our 4 bedroom house has a single garage and double drive. The 5 bedroom houses have a double garage and double drive.

I’ve never come across that requirement before, and, yes, my garage has been decorated too. Just in white/magnolia to brighten it up a tad.

I have "tandem" covered parking which can accommodate two cars, but it's open at each end. Which means that I can't store anything in it unless I buy some sort of lockable storage thingy, and it's a bit of a wind tunnel.

But it also means that I can wash my car under cover, regardless of the weather.

Craftsman
    Doesn't anyone have a pit these days? Both my dad's and his neighbour have one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saturn5 View Post
    My garage has a main land drain under it, so a pit would end up a swimming pool!

Pits are inherently dangerous, one reason why they're not so popular nowadays. They accumulate gases, are a falling risk hazard if uncovered and not a good place to be if you're in one and a fire starts above. If you are contemplating one then it's important to check the surrounding water level to determine whether the pit would flood/seep.

R

Grand Master
    It’s annoying that builders are still allowed to build houses with garages that are far too small to fit modern cars in! Building regs need to change, garages need to be at least 1’ wider and 1’ longer.

Paul

House we have a present has one in our tandem length garage. Only used it for storing stuff / set up a meth lab in it to be honest

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s annoying that builders are still allowed to build houses with garages that are far too small to fit modern cars in! Building regs need to change, garages need to be at least 1’ wider and 1’ longer.

Paul
    So true.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Has anyone got a recommendation for a floor covering? My bog-standard two-door double has a fairly rough finished concrete floor - tried using garage floor paint (after sealing it with EVA) and it peels off where the tyre regularly 'sit'. Currently have that spongy black foam padding, which is comfortable and warm, but not meant for vehicles to park on.

I see on the U.S. TV car garage make-over progs these firms who pour some sort of plasticised (?) bodning surface on rough floors?

Any ideas welcomed - not keen on tiling.

R
    Mine was done by the previous owner before I moved in and it's wonderful having a decent sized garage for 2x cars, a gym, tools, plenty of storage and a loft.... He went as far as putting artex on the ceiling! It's one of only two places in the house where I haven't removed it. The garage and the front porch.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Absolutely agree 100%

We moved 2yrs ago and I was excited to be getting a double garage. However on arrival realised it would be a squeeze to fit both cars in and the wife's corsa could only just fit in the smaller side (restricted by the stairs). So, she has hers in the other side and my car sits outside now - the previous 14.5yrs I'd had my car in the garage at our previous house. Only benefit is the smaller side now houses my 3 push irons and Vespa.

Houses on our culdesac that have single garages - not one is big enough for a Golf type car and above. Poor

We have a decent sized double garage - I’ve had both cars in it precisely once - then realised what a faff it is getting the car in and out, and haven’t bothered since! It’s now used for general storage, an extra freezer etc (I have a separate ‘man cave’ of a decent size in the back garden). Unless you have a prized classic car (or a temperemantal one) why put the car inside? It doesn’t affect my insurance costs at all, both cars have heated windscreens etc, I really can’t see the point - or am I missing something? (I have to look into sealing the concrete floor, the dust can be a bit of an issue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Absolutely agree 100%

We moved 2yrs ago and I was excited to be getting a double garage. However on arrival realised it would be a squeeze to fit both cars in and the wife's corsa could only just fit in the smaller side (restricted by the stairs). So, she has hers in the other side and my car sits outside now - the previous 14.5yrs I'd had my car in the garage at our previous house. Only benefit is the smaller side now houses my 3 push irons and Vespa.

Houses on our culdesac that have single garages - not one is big enough for a Golf type car and above. Poor
    I had my garage built to the specification of a triple garage, but the local Planning Authority rejected the initial plans as they deemed it 'inappropriate'. After enquiring it seemed they thought three doors on the front looked 'excessive' - for a three bedroomed property.

So I changed the plans to show just two doors but kept the same physical size of the building and they accepted that...

R

I had my garage built to the specification of a triple garage, but the local Planning Authority rejected the initial plans as they deemed it 'inappropriate'. After enquiring it seemed they thought three doors on the front looked 'excessive' - for a three bedroomed property.

So I changed the plans to show just two doors but kept the same physical size of the building and they accepted that...

R
    Ha - nice one. Did they give any recommendations to do that or just rejected it in the first place?

This thread is certainly making want to get of my backside and improve my garage. Its a decent size to be fair but a lick of paint or plastering will hugely improve it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Has anyone got a recommendation for a floor covering? My bog-standard two-door double has a fairly rough finished concrete floor - tried using garage floor paint (after sealing it with EVA) and it peels off where the tyre regularly 'sit'. Currently have that spongy black foam padding, which is comfortable and warm, but not meant for vehicles to park on.

I see on the U.S. TV car garage make-over progs these firms who pour some sort of plasticised (?) bodning surface on rough floors?

Any ideas welcomed - not keen on tiling.

I will have a look at work for a make I'm sure we kept a can for touching up not that has been needed. Used in 3 large units for car storage without any issues

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Ha - nice one. Did they give any recommendations to do that or just rejected it in the first place?
    Just rejected out of hand - and certainly no recommendation or assistance in any form, no surprise there. The work was done at the same time as a lot of other building work to the main property and the Planners seemed hell-bent on challenging every single aspect of the work, some of which was down-right petty. I got what I wanted in the end, but it was quite a fight.

R

My garage is standard width but about 7/5ths longer than usual (we extended the house).

I recently bought a load of those vinyl tiles that fit together like a jigsaw, but they don't extend full length or width.

My garage is much closer to oldoakknives' than Ralphy's, I'm ashamed to say, although it does have a car in it!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th December 2017 at 10:09.

Need to take a decent pic of my garage but pros and cons below.

Pros:
    Can get the 993 in and still easily open the doors
    Electric door
    Double glazed windows
    Has a pit
    Still has room for bike workstand, half a dozen bikes, full height racking, beer fridge, cross trainer, huge safe and work bench
    Fully floored loft space for storage

Cons:
    Lucky I didn't buy anything wider than the 993 as the door isn't very wide
    Ceiling could do with boarding to discourage the spiders
    Floor needs painting

There's some serious garage porn on here:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...3&t=573190&i=0

Although many of the photos have been lost to Photobucket, sadly.

Photobucket. Destroying interesting forum threads for posterity.

Master
    Maybe not a "Proper Jeep" but very competent... 5.7 LTR V8 with well over 300 BHP....

On Friday night I came a across a Polish lorry driver that had attempted a U turn on a local road, and got his tractor unit stuck on a grass verge. The trailer was completely blocking both lanes of the road... Oh dear.. poor bloke.

I asked if he'd got any straps or a chain and I'd attempt to get him moving.. he was facing downhill so I thought just a nudge would get him out of his wheel tracks and hopefully gravity would help get him back onto tarmac...

Low range selected, reverse gear selected, smoke pouring off all 4 tyres (I feared for my transmission) but with him also driving forward, it was just enough to to get him back onto the road...

It was a massive Daf tractor unit, towing a very long triple axle trailer, he told me he only had 10 tons on board....

But the 110k mile Jeep saved the day, and a very grateful lorry driver shook me warmly by the hand...... wish I'd had my camera...

They are very competent indeed, and as you're used to perusing the US market you will know of the many and reasonably cheap upgrades you can find.

Master
    They are very competent indeed, and as you're used to perusing the US market you will know of the many and reasonably cheap upgrades you can find.
    Indeed....this one has all updated suspension and lift kit, and the engine has been remapped.... it surprises quite a few hot hatches from the lights.... it's debadged so most folk assume it's a diesel..... but that Hemi is a gem...

Transmission is getting a bit noisy so I'm just waiting for the day it fails... been waiting 3 years and it hasn't got any worse, but something will break sooner or later...

Have no idea what to replace it with, would love a nice pick up, but try finding a petrol one.... Diesel is the fuel of the devil and I refuse to use it....😈😈

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Indeed....this one has all updated suspension and lift kit, and the engine has been remapped.... it surprises quite a few hot hatches from the lights.... it's debadged so most folk assume it's a diesel..... but that Hemi is a gem...

Transmission is getting a bit noisy so I'm just waiting for the day it fails... been waiting 3 years and it hasn't got any worse, but something will break sooner or later...

Have no idea what to replace it with, would love a nice pick up, but try finding a petrol one.... Diesel is the fuel of the devil and I refuse to use it....
    It is a bit on the dear side (warning: Major understatement!) but you could have a look here