closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Cremation or burial sir?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cremation

35 46.05%
  • Burial

16 21.05%
  • Not bothered. Anything will do.

25 32.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you want to be disposed of when the time comes?

How do you want to be disposed of when the time comes?

Cremation for me. Burial just takes up to much space.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Well thats a cheerful start to the evening!

Burial for me - on religious grounds

Master
    Cremation, already in my will. Cold damp soil and clay, no thanks.

I’ve always said to my partner to just chuck me in a skip, body is no use once i’ve Left it, hate to think of her struggling to pay for it if I do go before her, not looking for a massive send off so don’t really care as long as it’s no burden on the misses and kids.

The latest thing is disposal in a alkaline solution, it appears to have a low environmental impact so that's currently my choice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Boiled down for soap/fertilizer etc. I do mean it

I lost my dad in 1989 and he was buried, my mum passed away in 2016 she was cremated and we had her ashes buried in the church she was christened/ married in. It feels very different going to my fathers grave than goimg to my mothers grave, I get more of a sense of a person being there with my father.
    Only my opinion of course but due to that I want to be buried with the worms.

Stuffed and stood up in the corner or leaning on the mantle with a drink in hand.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Stuffed and mounted in a catalogue pose, then donated to whoever’s left with a proviso not to move for five years until the will proceeds are released.

Honestly I don’t care, it’s an empty vessel when I’m gone (arguably it always has been) and it’s final disposal doesn’t concern me beyond my passing.

edit; beaten to it on the stuffing part.

Journeyman
    Cheaply and with minimal fuss, except for the party afterwards.

Here is one way of going out with a bang:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2525237.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I’ve always said to my partner to just chuck me in a skip, body is no use once i’ve Left it, hate to think of her struggling to pay for it if I do go before her, not looking for a massive send off so don’t really care as long as it’s no burden on the misses and kids.
    the thing is, you can't just chuck someone in the skip in the uk. there are laws against those things. otherwise you could just leave people on park benches and wait for them to decompose or the council to take them away.

At sea.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Some may now some may not at my business for the last 50 yrs was a Funeral Director and i have seen more money wasted on Funerals than most , my first wife was buried it was her religious tradition i favour Cremation and have said to SWMBO the cheapest going, no mourners,service or wake as it is said in another part of my life
    Live respected and die regretted.

Craftsman
    Is this poll meant,perhaps indirectly,to shadow the dying year that was 2017?
    I voted cremation - the poll was split evenly into thirds then.
    Maybe for early January someone can come up with maybe a more cheery poll?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Or leave it to medical research or donor use if they'll have you lol. That's the route I reckon I'll take, for similar reasons to you.

I want to be stuffed with pop corn seeds and then burned
    My dream burial

Once I'm dead that's it, whatever is the cheapest way of disposing my body

Master
    I’ve always wanted to be buried at sea or just chucked in the Mersey would do, however my wife has been told whatever is the easiest cheapest do not spend one penny extra than needed on my stinking corpse I won’t care what happens and I’d rather the money went behind the bar for anyone who wants a drink on me. I also wouldn’t want her or my children to feel burdened to go to a cemetery at any point so I don’t care about that either. Make it cheap and spend the money on herself and the kids I’ll be dead and there’s nothing afterwards of that I’m certain.

Master
    Unceremoniously thrown off a boat. Although I've already been told by my parents that if I die first, they don't care what my wishes are, they're the ones who count so it'll be a traditional church funeral (despite me despising religion)

I have always been fascinated by the Indian funeral pyres where you can see the body going up - looks quite a spectacle for the audience too! I really loathe UK crematoriums they are horrible, impersonal and always seem to waiting with another family just outside.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I have always been fascinated by the Indian funeral pyres where you can see the body going up - looks quite a spectacle for the audience too! I really loathe UK crematoriums they are horrible, impersonal and always seem to waiting with another family just outside.
    Hindu cremations are hard core
    They want to burn the body as quickly as possible, so it's usually within a couple of hours or at least on the same day as the death, so everyone is pretty much still in shock. The cremations are held in the open on what is basically a big bonfire. If the skull doesn't fracture off its own accord allowing for the release of the soul through 'the aperture of brahma' they give it a crack.
    Much wailing. Sons are in attendance, heads freshly shaved.
    British cremations much more reserved by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Hindu cremations are hard core
    They want to burn the body as quickly as possible, so it's usually within a couple of hours or at least on the same day as the death, so everyone is pretty much still in shock. The cremations are held in the open on what is basically a big bonfire. If the skull doesn't fracture off its own accord allowing for the release of the soul through 'the aperture of brahma' they give it a crack.
    Much wailing. Sons are in attendance, heads freshly shaved.
    British cremations much more reserved by comparison
    All good with me!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Whatever's cheapest and least bother tbh,although I do like the idea of being stuffed and stood in the hallway for use as a coat stand.

Blog Entries
    Buried, with all my belongings, including servants, wife, ex-wives, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, etc.

When I die, I’m leaving my body to science fiction.

(I’m with Steven Wright in this one).

Medicine and Science can have whatever bits of me they want. After that, I really don't care.

I want one of those fancy Ghanaian coffins in the shape of a Z566M Nixie tube, doused liberally with Bruichladdich and wired up to a bunch of pyrotechnics so that when 170 Volts is shoved up it the whole lot goes up like Vesuvius and is reduced to a cinder in a matter of minutes all to the tune of I Zimbra by Talking Heads.

Master
    I will merely disappear one day , then several years later after being declared legally dead there will be a small ceremony and seven mysterious attractive women will be in attendance , unknown by my family and each other. Much consternation shall result , but the mystery will never be solved.

Cremation, no religion involved. My wife knows where I want my ashes scattered.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I think there are only a handful of designated zones for burial at sea. So if that is your choice you may end up getting driven half way round the country before getting your feet wet. Cremation for me with my ashes sit on the mantle pice for 1 year and then my ashes scattered at a few places that mean something to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I think there are only a handful of designated zones for burial at sea. So if that is your choice you may end up getting driven half way round the country before getting your feet wet. Cremation for me with my ashes sit on the mantle pice for 1 year and then my ashes scattered at a few places that mean something to me.
    Rolex AD?

Master
    I'll be dead, Dave, so I really won't care. Whatever the people around me want is fine by me. I prefer the idea of going back to the earth to be recycled that way rather than energy released into the air

Master
    I’m another who doesn’t care as I’ll be dead.

Due to one of my jobs the kids want to put me in a firework and set it off, but having done this several times in the last it takes more than one firework due to amount of ashes in the urn/plastic pot from the crematorium.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Burial for me - on religious grounds
    Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Very good!

Cremated and my favourite models, adult actresses etc, snort my ashes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Cremated and my favourite models, adult actresses etc, snort my ashes.
    Wouldn't you rather do something along those 'lines' before you die?

Master
    I’ve asked that my body be donated to medical science. Don’t want my family paying thousands for me to be burned or buried.

Another one here for burial at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I’ve asked that my body be donated to medical science. Don’t want my family paying thousands for me to be burned or buried.
    Me too. I want young female medical students to play with my bits after I'm gone.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Me too. I want young female medical students to laugh at my bits after I'm gone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I want one of those fancy Ghanaian coffins in the shape of a Z566M Nixie tube, doused liberally with Bruichladdich and wired up to a bunch of pyrotechnics so that when 170 Volts is shoved up it the whole lot goes up like Vesuvius and is reduced to a cinder in a matter of minutes all to the tune of I Zimbra by Talking Heads.
    Now this sounds like a good way to go, I like it!

Blog Entries
    Me too. I want young female medical students to play with my bits after I'm gone.
    Should we refer to this as "reverse necrophilia"?

Rolex AD?
    Very good Davo!.

Personally, I would hope to take up the minimum space and via the least amount of energy, the rest is.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hindu cremations are hard core...

If the skull doesn't fracture off its own accord allowing for the release of the soul through 'the aperture of brahma' they give it a crack.
    Much wailing.
    That sounds utterly grim.

Religion has a lot to answer for.

Anyway, bearing in mind this is the G&D, to answer your question BN, I haven't really decided.

Possibly, I'd like to be shot over a canyon in an explosive rocket like Evel Knievel then whatever ashes are left could be mixed in with some gunpowder and used in cartridges to hunt down the chancers who hoover the forum to sell on eBay.

Creamed through the covers for four

When I was at uni one of my flatmates was a medic. He used to come back and tell us tales of how they made fun of the cadavers . Not very ethical I suppose but they were 1st year medical students.

C or B

Dave,

I realise that this time of year is generally accepted as a time for personal reflection, so I’ll suggest you are maybe a little melancholy more than morbid...But by my reckoning, either option ultimately goes back into the ground.
    Time for a meet up?

Andy

Craftsman
    Non religious but I'd go with a ceremony either way. Crematorium when older, burial until then.

I think it might help the sprogs to have a specific place to visit if I got hit by a bus tomorrow.

Otherwise I think a decent send off helps with the closure phase. Certainly organising an ad-hoc ceremony to celebrate my grandmothers life when she left her body to medical science feels like it was missing something. I don't know why, maybe a focus helps. Certainly can't hurt (familial plebs excepted).