closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio Rangeman GPS

Casio Rangeman GPS

Just announced;

Tokyo, January 10, 2018 — Casio Computer Co., Ltd. announced today the release of the latest addition to its RANGEMAN series of watches, which support the wearer even in survival situations. The new GPR-B1000 features the world’s first* solar-assisted GPS navigation and will be available in two models.

• Based on a Casio survey as of January 10, 2018.

The RANGEMAN is part of the “Master of G” series of watches designed for use in the most extreme conditions. RANGEMAN watches incorporate Triple Sensor to measure compass bearing, atmospheric pressure/altitude, and temperature, based on the concept of “Survival Toughness.”
    In addition to Triple Sensor, the new GPR-B1000 is capable of GPS navigation—a first for a G-SHOCK watch. The watch collects location data from GPS satellites to display the current location on a route or bearing to a destination, in real-time. The watch also saves track and point data (including longitude/latitude, altitude, and temperature) in memory.
    Using Bluetooth®, the watch pairs with a smartphone to connect with the G-SHOCK Connected app, allowing the user to create routes or manage log data in the app. Tracks and point data saved in memory are displayed on a 3D map or as a timeline. The watch also receives data from time servers to keep accurate time anywhere in the world.
    The GPR-B1000 features dual wireless and solar charging systems. The GPS functions are usable for approximately 33 hours on a wireless charge of about five hours. Even if the battery level drops below a usable level for GPS while outdoors, solar charging can be used to resume GPS functions for a limited time. The time display is kept powered at all times using solar charging, regardless of the status of GPS functions.
    The GPR-B1000 delivers toughness in construction and materials, with a dust- and mud-resistant structure and carbon fiber insert band. Designed for the ultimate in survival toughness, the GPR-B1000 is the latest evolution of G-SHOCK.

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/ne...110_gpr-b1000/

Master
    Like the look of these, but at 60.3mm wide and 20.2mm high it would be like wearing a small brick on the wrist!

Shame they don’t make them a more wearable size, as something like this would be a great day time watch.

Looks like a blend of Rangeman with frogman styling - I wonder if it’s a screwback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Looks like a blend of Rangeman with frogman styling - I wonder if it’s a screwback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It says it has a ceramic back in the blurb, doesn't say how its fixed.

Sounds great in that they are Solar powered, which is perfect when using power hungry GPS.

Master
    Still no smart watch features though which has killed gshocks for me over the last couple of years with the likes of Garmin fenix and now the Apple Watch although I do love a solar powered watch I just wish they’d make a smart solorpowered one they where’s on the right track a few years back but then stopped.

Old vs New

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPEegA63m_Q

Rangeman - The movie (2018)
    Last edited by andrewcregan; 10th January 2018 at 20:00.

Journeyman
    Having to charge it every 33 hours could be an issue if you're stuck in the desert somewhere, I'd imagine these are aimed at geocaching rather than explorers.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Having to charge it every 33 hours could be an issue if you're stuck in the desert somewhere, I'd imagine these are aimed at geocaching rather than explorers.

Isn't that what the Solar function is for?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Isn't that what the Solar function is for?
    Yeah at first I thought this could be quite a useful bit of kit, but reading between the lines things don't quite sound right.
    "solar charging can be used to resume GPS functions for a limited time"

It doesn't sound ideal !
    Last edited by PaulM; 10th January 2018 at 21:12.

Craftsman
    I like! Not too bothered about size as it wouldn’t be for everyday wear and the Garmins are chunky too. Admittedly not as big as this though. I expect price will be the determining factor.

I run a Fenix 5 and a Pro Trek, and although I welcome the addition of Solar, I wish the actual screen size took up a bit more of this new Rangeman.